WDW+ Traveling with Autistic Kids Tips (Please Help)

Um, what's a GAC card?

DS9 was just diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome a couple weeks ago. I'm still kinda reeling from the news, and haven't started the rounds of social skills classes, possible meds, working with his teachers, etc. But looking back on our Disney trips I see that I've accommodated his AS symptoms in a bunch of ways:

* We always take an afternoon break -- no exception. I tried to make an exception once and it resulted in great misery.

* I listen to him when he says something is too scary for him. Sometimes this is hard -- until I knew he had AS, I didn't really understand why he couldn't tolerate some of the things he can't.

* We carry lots of snacks and water so his blood sugar doesn't get too low.

* I nourish his pin-trading obsession big time. :earsboy: He does love the interaction with CMs, and the fact that it's got a clear and predictable structure seems to be great for him. (And now that we've got the diagnosis, I understand why.)

* We don't go anywhere that he would have to sit still in a stationary chair. He does okay for a couple minutes, like Muppets 3D, and he's always fine if the ride is moving (or appears to be moving, like Soarin' at DCA). And he does great at Sci-Fi Dine-In because the movie trailers distract him. But you can completely forget about nice table-service places.

* I buy him more toys than I probably should, since it gives him something to occupy his attention while we're waiting in line, waiting for food at a restaurant, etc. And then I can get a bit of a mental break -- one of his AS symptoms is a tendancy to talk nonstop about topics that may not be of interest to anybody else, and it's usually just the two of us on these trips so I get a bit worn out.

I'd love to hear from others with AS kids, either in this thread or through PMs -- I'm so new to this and feeling a bit overwhelmed and sad. (I'm also starting to read the Oasis AS support board, which I'm finding helpful.)

We've got a trip to DLRP in about two weeks, so reading your tips is very helpful, and makes me feel a little less alone.

P.S. Google is my friend, so I just found a bit of info about the GAC card. I suspect we don't need it, but it's really good to know about -- I really don't know how his behaviors and symptoms will change over time.

I think knowing your own child is important as well. DS loves fireworks also, and only some noises bother him--certainly not all loud noises. The normal things that scare most children will be lost him. I know he'll love Fantasmic, and won't care a bit about the villains. His fears are always really weird. We took him on a train at a local amusement park last weekend, and he FREAKED. Hated it. I think it was mostly the horn. Not the volume, just the sound of it. He has a huge meltdown over sirens. And occasionally something like an odd looking plastic frog or goldfish on tv will scare him for no real reason. He'll enjoy the big stuffed characters, but I think he'll ignore face characters (like he ignores face people!)

Our hardest part will be waiting in lines and restaurants. I plan to bring plenty of distractions, and we'll use that GAC card if we have to. Oh, and in theater type places I always need an escape route. We got TRAPPED once in hall of presidents, it was a nightmare. Almost the whole show he screamed and I could not get out. I'm sure everyone there hated us! This time, I'll make sure we can get out of an attraction like that if we need to or skip it.

Oh, and I also plan to get him a nametag this time that says his name and the fact that he has autism. He is tall for his age and of course looks completely like every other kid. I want characters/CMs/and people in general to be able to see his name and also understand why he doesn't respond to them. It may also help with those nasty stares I get about my bad kid! ;)

My son is 3, has been diagnosed with "severe autism".

GAC is Guest Assistance Card - we don't like typing all those words if we can help it. ;)
It is basically a tool to let CM (Cast Members) know what sorts of assistance/accomidations are needed by guests with disabilities.
Here's a summary of information about GACs (some of it might not be appropriate fro your needs):
  • Go to Guest Services in any of the parks with the person with a disability and talk to the CM there about their problems and needs. The diagnosis is not really that important because people with the same diagnosis can have very different needs. The GAC is not given based on diagnosis at all (for example, there is not a "list" of appropriate diagnosis for a GAC); the GAC is given based on needs and the accomidations that meet those needs.
    The GAC is usually given for up to 6 people (5 plus the person with a disability) and is valid at all the parks for your length of stay (you don't need to get a new one at each theme park).
    A few other things
  • the GAC is not meant to be a pass that gives immediate access. In fact, about 6 years ago, they renamed it to Card because when it was called a Pass, people thought it mean front of the line access. It says right on the card that it will not shorten or eliminate waits in line.
  • it is meant as a tool to tell the CMs what the person's needs are so that they can provide appropriate accomidation for the person it was issued to. Some examples of accomidations might be a quieter place to wait, a place out of the sun (for those times when the line is in the sun for a prolonged period of time).
  • because what is stamped on the GAC is based on needs, not all GACs say the same thing or are treated the same way by CMs.
  • think of the GAC like an insurance card, not necessarily needed or used all the time, but there for when you need it.
  • even on the same attraction, the GAC is not always handled the same each time. Exactly what happens depends on how busy it is, how many other people with special needs are there at the time and staffing. Some times you may be sent thru the regular standby line, occassionally the fastpass line; sometimes the person with the GAC and a member of their party will be given an alternate place to wait while the rest of the party goes thru the standby line - and then meet up with them when they get to the front. Sometimes you might be given a slip and told you can come back at the time written on the slip (usually equal to the standby time); very occassionally, you might be taken right in. It depends on what they call "attraction considerations" (which is basically the things I listed in the second sentence).
  • Fastpass is a good way to avoid waits in line. You don't have to be present to get a fastpass, you can send one member of your party ahead with all the park passes to get fastpasses. When you report back to the ride at your fastpass return time, your wait will be 15 minutes or less.
    Fastpass is also the way to get the most consistency - when you return to the Fastpass line and hand the CM your Fastpass, the same thing happens every time.
  • Some kids with ASD really like having a stroller; not to avoid walking, but because it gives a "safe haven" with less stimulation. The WDW firm plastic strollers seem to be especially popular because the seating surface is firm, the sides come up and they have a canopy.

About handing out cards...when DS is a tantrum or flight, etc there is NO time to be handing out cards, it takes us both and our full attention.

We did another local amusement park trial run today, it went good and bad. DS refused (adamantly--even using his WORDS!) to ride anything at all. (no train, all done train, no slide, etc). I did rent a stroller this time, they are just like Disney's. He loved riding in the stroller, although I did discover he can unlatch the belt and RUN. After that he was content to ride in it, he was even calm. He wanted a place to put his cup and would not allow a bag on top, as I suspected. I'll have to think of some take along modifications for the Disney stroller.

I'd love it if he would ride some things, but just the fact that he was ok in the stroller is good. At least at Disney if he just wants to ride in the stroller it will be plenty stimulating. He did have a major tantrum when it was time to get out of the stroller, but I think that is because we were only there for a few hours.

I'm thinking of getting some of the explorer cd roms so he can see the rides? The planning dvd is just too sporadic to hold his attention.

Sorry for the very long post! :crazy:

My DS has Asperger's, but some of my tips may be helpful:

1. He really enjoyed looking for hidden Mickeys. He bought the book and was our "guide" to hidden Mickey's for the rest of the trip.

2. Prepare your child as much as you can for what will happen. (This is actually good advice for any child.)

Tell him or her the night before what park you will be visitng the next day, where you're going to eat if there's a special meal planned, etc.

If you're planning to ride rides like crazy for the first two hours that the park is open, tell the child that you WILL NOT stop to see characters (or snack, or whatever), but then after two hours you WILL stop for [whatever it is they've been wanting].

We did not take my son to fireworks this year simply because we missed them. Last year (he was 2), it was a complete nightmare. My question is, would you skip fantasmic? My dh and I have seen it already. I think he would enjoy parts of it, but there are definitely some parts I know will frighten him. My other concern is the wait. I have also considered the fantasmic dining package, BUT I'm still unsure. My ds has high functioning autism. Thanks for the tips suggestions!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter