• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW Vet Planning 1st DL Trip - Is one Full Day Enough?

choirchic

DIS Veteran
Hey Disneyland experts...DH and I are planning a 10th anniversary trip to the West Coast. The majority of our trip will be split between doing Hollywood touristy stuff and a relaxing trip to Catalina. My question is...would a one full day / overnight stay at Disneyland be enough to enjoy the majority of the park? We're not the kind of people that have to DO or SEE everything and rush. We'd just want a fun day, maybe a meal, hit some of the popular points, and then maybe catch World of Color.

What would you folks suggest? Thanks in advance!

You can definitely see most of the popular things at both Disneyland and Disney California Adventure, but you need to have a solid plan going in.
Staying at a Disney Hotel will help you get into the park an hour early.
You didn't mention it, but some WDW vets think they can skip certain attractions because they already exist in WDW. Do not do that.

I think one-day is enough to say you've been to DLR, but it's not really enough time to really say you've experienced DLR (if that makes sense). It depends a little on when you go (operating hours, entertainment offerings, etc.) and whether you wanted to go to both parks or just one.

I would look at it a little like this: could you experience the Magic Kingdom and <pick another park at WDW> in one day (ignore travel time between parks)? DLR is smaller than WDW, but it has a lot of attractions and shows crammed into its smaller geographic footprint.

I think it would still be fun to go, even if it was just for one day (I did that with DLP when I was in Paris), but I wouldn't go with the expectation that you'll really be able to experience DLR to it's fullest in just one day.

HydroGuy has a guide for WDW vets going to DLR that might help you decide what you wanted to focus on if you did just go for one day:
http://www.disboards.com/threads/a-dlr-guide-for-wdw-vets.1162599/

Honestly, no. If you really want to hit the main things in each park & like to take your time you need 2 park days to hit all the highlights. Hitting all highlights in both parks in 1 day while taking your time isn't going to work very well. (Unless you're going soon & a bunch of stuff is down for refurb but since you mention seeing world of color you must not be going until at least March.) And remember, there are two parks now, not one- since you mention DL & WOC you'll need to do both parks. When are you going? Check to see if your dates coincide with park events and school holidays and weekends because higher crowd levels = longer lines.

One day will give you a very broad overview and is definitely better than nothing. Two days will give a chance to hit all major attractions (which can be done in one day but you really don't sound like the park commando type). Three days would give a couple (no kids) a chance to hit most everything in a more relaxed way.

Not if you've never been before. If you had a guide who knew all the ins and outs of the parks then maybe.

My question is...would a one full day / overnight stay at Disneyland be enough to enjoy the majority of the park? We're not the kind of people that have to DO or SEE everything and rush. We'd just want a fun day, maybe a meal, hit some of the popular points, and then maybe catch World of Color.

What would you folks suggest? Thanks in advance!

Yes 1 day (with a few assumptions) would be enough to see the popular points and see WoC. You didn't mention what day of the week or when you will go. Nor did you mention if you are going to get a PH to get to both parks. But if I were you, I would do this.

Go during a quieter park of the week.
Have a PH pass so that you can go to both DL and DCA.
Mainly want to see the things that are different than at WDW.
Stay at a Disney hotel, so that you can take advantage of Magic Mornings or have a ticket that allows that.
Go to the park that has Magic Mornings
If Magic Mornings is at Disneyland, do all of Fantasyland, including Matterhorn during Magic Mornings then head to DCA and Fastpass/ride RSR and get a WoC Fastpass for the earliest show and finish up Carsland.
If Magic Mornings is at DCA, do all of Carsland and Screamin' and use the resort DCA entrance at Grand Californian.​
Then you can hop between the parks and do the stuff that is different or themed different vs WDW, like at Disneyland: Indiana Jones, Space Mountain, Big Thunder, Innoventions, Toontown, Pirates, Haunted Mansion. At DCA: Animation Academy, Monsters, watch Aladdin, Soarin (if it's back open by then).
Depending on the time of year, you may only be able to choose 1 of the nighttime shows (Fantasmic, DL fireworks or DCA WoC).
You'll have to full take advantage of Fastpass too, to get it all in and stay until closing to get the other attractions you may have missed.

OR

Just do anything that is fun, like you said, you want a fun day, a meal, some popular points. Easily done. You can get a WoC meal package too, while that doesn't give the best viewing, it's nice to do. Ride Indiana Jones and Radiator Springs Racers either on Fastpass or Standby. Those 2 in my opinion are the 2 best rides in each park that is completely unique to DLR. Have fun, relax, it is your anniversary afterall.

I don't know, this is just what I would do and last time I took a friend there, we finished like 80% of both parks in 1 day and Fantasmic and then WoC. We skipped on the shows though like Innoventions and Aladdin, cause those take up a lot of time.

One day will be really tight. In fact, you can't even get through disneyland park in a day. Although the disneyland resort may look pretty small on map, there is about the same amount of rides in DL's two parks of there are in WDW's four parks. And since most of the rides at DLR are considered better than the WDW versions of the ride. (such as pirates of the carribean), you won't want to miss a thing. 4 or 5 days is usually recommended for a first visit, but if you aren't interested in doing many of the attractions and shows, you could probably get away with just 2 days.

But if one day is all you are able to do, you can make it work. You will be able to hit a few of the highlights in both parks, see a show or two, and have one sit-down meal, but you will miss a lot, even if you go commando. You will get a nice taste of disneyland, but definitely not the full experience.

I guess a better question would have been...if you had just ONE day in DL/CA, what would you do? I know that I definitely want to see World of Color, and we will be staying the night on property and definitely starting out visit midweek.

I guess a better question would have been...if you had just ONE day in DL/CA, what would you do? I know that I definitely want to see World of Color, and we will be staying the night on property and definitely starting out visit midweek.

One day in DCA: Carsland (duh), Aladdin stage show (seriously, it's a really good, lot's of fun and a nice afternoon break), GRR, Soarin' and Toy Story. If you're into roller coasters add Screamin'. DCA has WOC.

One day in DCA & DL: Too much to choose from for me, sorry...

When are you going? This spring, summer? I ask because I have different responses based on when you are going.

If you are going after May 15- This is when the refurb of Soarin' is listed by touring plans as finishing. This is an entire new section of the DCA park that Disney will be premiering along with the updated Soarin'. In this scenario I would do only DCA and not DL. With all of DCA open, you can enjoy a wonderful day in a beautiful Disney park and wrap it up with WOC. You will have plenty to do to keep you occupied.

WOC is under refurb until Mar 12, Grizzly River Rapids until Mar 17, Soarin' until May 15. These are 3 major reasons for DCA over DL. So, if your date lands during the refurb times consider a park hopper because Frozen sounds out of your age range and Screamin, Carsland and Toy Story aren't enough for 1 full day. Run through the DL attractions on the website for what might be of specific interest to you if you decide to park hop. When you add in the new Soarin' area and GRR and WOC DCA becomes more of a full-day park.

No. Disneyland Resort has more rides than all of WDW. If you want to do a quick run through and hit the biggies you may be able to do so since the parks are so close to one another, but if you really want to experience the parks, you need at least 3 days.

As much as I love WOC, I typically advise those on a one day trip to skip it. It takes way too much time to get a good view, and with a poor view is absolutely NOT worth going. If you go plan to dedicate at least two hours of your day to the show.

Regarding your OP, it is sort of like asking "I only have half a day and want to see Epcot - can I?". The answer to that and to your question is there is plenty to see and you will just skim the surface. Can you have an enjoyable time? Of course you can.

It also depends on when you are going in September. There is a big difference between before Labor Day, the two weeks after Labor Day, and then late September.

With all that said, you will definitely have to prioritize on a one day trip - especially if you want to park hop. At DCA there is a lot to see but Cars Land should be the big priority IMO.

:wizard:

Carsland! I had forgotten that was there!!! We'll likely be going in September.

If you go midweek after labor day but before the Halloween stuff starts, I think you'll be fine.

In 1 day in Sept

See these @ DL:
Pirates
Haunted Mansion
Indiana Jones
Small World
Big Thunder
Space Mountain

These if you have time
Nemo Subs
Innoventions
Fantasyland
Toontown

See these @ DCA
Screamin'
Radiator Springs (if you choose this, you must get there at DCA open)
Soarin
Aladdin musical
WoC (if you want a good spot, you'll need to allocate time though as PP said)

If you have time
The rest of Carsland
Bugsland
Paradise Pier
Bluesky Cellar
Animation Academy
Monsters
Frozen party (or whatever they'll have in Sept.)

Then eat at Blue Bayou if you can get in without wasting time, or the next day, eat at the Character breakfast at whichever Disney hotel you stay at (Goofy's Kitchen, Surf's Up or Storyteller's)

I think thats what I would do if you only have 1 day and want to see things that are unique to DLR.

What's your WDW touring style? That can make a big difference in how we can advise you!

Without knowing that:

My dos pesos -- you can do pretty much everything between both parks in one day, but you have to commit to rope drop-to-close. You have to also consider splitting up and doing single rider to accomplish some rides, to maximize FP opportunities. I wouldn't waste time on table service at DLR, especially if it means you get to see an extra show or get an extra ride on something like RSR. There are just too many QS spots with great, creative food for you to waste an hour sitting at a table at a character meal or Blue Bayou if your goal is to see as much as you can.

I agree with the above poster's list of what to see - except I'd add in Mickey and the Magical Map at DL in the place of Innoventions.

As far as WoC goes - it's a must-see. Get a FP first thing when you get to the park. And, again, if you're not opposed to splitting up - one of you hold down a spot while the other one quickly grabs something for the two of you to eat while you wait for the show (Corn Dog!!). I was almost to the very back to the left and I still thought the view was great. I was just happy to be there experiencing it. I know what the movies look like, I just wanted to see the fountains and hear the music.

The one thing you will love about DLR - park hopping!! It makes park hopping at WDW a joke. I won't waste money on PHers at WDW again after being spoiled by DLR. :D

My answer is No. It is not enough you should have three to five days to see everything and have a good time. Maybe try giving your self a few days away from Hollywood for DL I wouldn't chose more time at Holly wood over DL ever. That's just me but I would see about staying two nights and having three days.
arrival day get there early check in and use EE(1st night) 2ed day, use EE, and (2ed night) 3erd day (use EE before checking out, then go to your next place (Hollywood? and check in to what ever place you are staying at)

Last edited:
There is now way we would ever try and do both parks in one day. There is way too much to see and do so one day would never be enough time.

NO! Here's why: Some WDW vets feel that they can automatically skip the rides that are on both coasts. While many of the newer rides are duplicates, the classics certainly are not. You don't want to miss these attractions:
Pirates of the Caribbean
It's a Small World
Haunted Mansion Holiday (assuming it's open when you arrive)
Space Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

And then there are the Disneyland/DCA exclusives:
Alice In Wonderland
Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
Storybookland Canal Boats OR Casey Jr. Circus Train
Indiana Jones
Radiator Springs Racers
California Screamin'
Aladdin Stage Show
World of Color
Disneyland Forever (our upcoming new Fireworks show)
Paint The Night (our upcoming new nighttime parade)

So the question you have to ask yourself is: "Will we be able to see all of these (if we are interested), plus everything else we want to see, in one day?" I'm afraid the answer is no. You
really need a minimum of 2 to 3 days to take in both parks and really enjoy them.

You can do a lot in one day, especially as a party of 2. It also helps not to have more than 1-2 must dos, because then you can be flexible and accomplish more. If you're going to get a hotel in Anaheim, and if it's available during your trip, consider doing the Halloween party one night, followed by a 1 day PH the next day.

How many days are you doing the Hollywood tourist stuff and what are the things you're planning to do? A lot of people either expect the Hollywood area things to take longer than they do, or don't realize how spread out some things are from the Hollywood area.

Is there any way you could shave a day off your time in Hollywood and spend that time in the parks instead? That way you could have a full day in each park.

Honestly, that is what I would do. The Hollywood stuff is interesting, but it seems like most people seem to find it a bit disappointing. It's just not as glamorous as you'd imagine. I haven't done things like the Hollywood sign or the Chinese theater in years, and I can see where they are something you'd want to see once, but they are the kind of thing you go to for 15 minutes and feel like you have pretty much seen everything. So maybe you could squish that part of your schedule a bit, and then see more at DLR and DCA?

I think others have made some great points about generally recommending 3 days, but it sounds like that might not be possible. I think it is important to remember that DLR/DCA have MORE attractions than WDW. To put it in perspective, we often feel like the WDW parks don't have enough to do, because each one has a lot of "filler". There is filler at DLR too, but not nearly as much. There just isn't space!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter