WDW vs DLR Food Comparisons

Jaykw

Earning My Ears
Just got back from Spring Break at WDW and some initial observations in food offerings between the 2 parks:

- Corn Dogs are a staple at DLR/DCA, but WDW didn’t appear to have these for sale
- Churros seem to have very limited availability at WDW, as opposed to DLR/DCA where you can find them all over the parks

What are some other differences between the parks and is this due to demographics, park history, etc.?

Last edited:
Just got back from Spring Break at WDW and some initial observations in food offerings between the 2 parks:

- Corn Dogs are a staple at DLR/CA, but WDW didn’t appear to have these for sale
- Churros seem to have very limited availability at WDW, as opposed to DLR/CA where you can find them all over the parks

What are some other differences between the parks and is this due to demographics, park history, etc.?
Casey's corn dog nuggets are pretty huge at WDW, but Casey's has been closed since the parks reopened. The churros may also be Covid related as there are usually quite a few places to find them at each park.

There are corn dogs at Sleep Hollow in the Magic Kingdom, they are hand dipped and come with home made chips. It is not the same, or as good as the corn dogs at Disneyland but a decent substitute.

I'm not a churro fan but I hear the ones at the Nomad Lounge at Animal Kingdom are good.

There are corn dogs at Sleep Hollow in the Magic Kingdom, they are hand dipped and come with home made chips. It is not the same, or as good as the corn dogs at Disneyland but a decent substitute.

I'm not a churro fan but I hear the ones at the Nomad Lounge at Animal Kingdom are good.

Great tip. I could not, for the life of me, find a place that corn dogs were available at MK. Thanks!

Disneyland can actually make a decent in-park pizza, at least compared to WDW. I am referring to thos elittle round counter service pizzas. Sure, Pizza Port isn't exactly spectacular, but it is good with sometimes a pretty great specialty pizza.

I generally find the food at DLR better than WDW overall, especially counter serivce.

We have been to DLR 2x times and WDW 15+ trips and hands down DLR wins in the QS/Counter Service area. The offerings are more diverse, not just the same old uncrustables, pizza, chicken nuggets. If you want to find that at DLR you can but so many other great options.

I think the biggest difference is at DLR the food is so FRESH. Its actually been a bit of bummer on our return trips to WDW and feeling like we are eating at the mall or airport food court sometimes.

I do not the 'why' except maybe there are so, so, so many more people at WDW each and every day.

The churro is a Southern California staple, and the supplier (Tio Pepe's) is a company based there, so that is why the ones at DL are so much better and more widely available. It's a Mexican dessert and the Mexican influence in the area is largely responsible for its popularity.

Ditto the corndogs. Hot Dog on a Stick originated in Venice Beach in 1946 and popularized fresh, hand dipped corn dogs in California.

Overall, Disneyland has far better food, although WDW has more variety. Oddly, what Disneyland seems to be missing is some decent Asian options. It's ironic that WDW has more to offer in that area than Disneyland, given the massive Asian cultural influence of California.

Overall, Disneyland has far better food, although WDW has more variety.
Yes, found this to be very true. Lots more options amongst the 4 WDW parks, but in general, the food wasn’t very good.

The ethnic foods we saw offered and sampled at Epcot and AK were also disappointing and didn’t taste very authentic.

We have been to DLR 2x times and WDW 15+ trips and hands down DLR wins in the QS/Counter Service area. The offerings are more diverse, not just the same old uncrustables, pizza, chicken nuggets. If you want to find that at DLR you can but so many other great options.

I think the biggest difference is at DLR the food is so FRESH. Its actually been a bit of bummer on our return trips to WDW and feeling like we are eating at the mall or airport food court sometimes.

I do not the 'why' except maybe there are so, so, so many more people at WDW each and every day.

Food in California is just fresher in general I think. A lot of it is cultural, but they grow a lot of food out that way too. I tend to not like strawberries because they never seem to be that good around here, but if I'm in Cali, I know they will be good!

Food in California is just fresher in general I think. A lot of it is cultural, but they grow a lot of food out that way too. I tend to not like strawberries because they never seem to be that good around here, but if I'm in Cali, I know they will be good!

This is absolutely true. When we lived in VA for 4 years, this what I missed the most. Produce and meat quality was pretty inferior, even at the high end stores. Even stores like Trader Joe's have VASTLY more to offer in CA vs other states. They have extended produce, meat, cheese, and fresh prepared foods that the stores outside CA don't have, or have very limited options.

My parents live in central FL and everyone raves about Publix, but I was super unimpressed. They always like coming back to visit because of the food.

I live in SoCal and my husband is Canadian. He said 50% of the reason he chose to move down here instead of me moving to Canada is because of the strawberries. They taste great all year long!

I know people love the food at DLR out this way. But for me WDW still wins. As a vegetarian, I have more variety of options in WDW. My first trip to WDW as an adult, I was so excited to not have to eat veggie burgers at every meal! Also, there are way more TS options in WDW compared to DLR. I have only twice in 100s of visits done a table service dining at DLR and both were part of the dinner show package. I always prefer to go to DTD for dinner & breakfast or the resorts. And a lot of the QS places don't have options I can eat or they can't amend choices so that I can have them (I also have a tree nut allergy). I have an easier time eating at TS.

But yes, churros are as staple here. I'm from NJ originally and I was surprised to see how many places you can get churros and how many varieties of them. Now I've lived here for a while, churros are my Disney snack must have!

Oh! And it's easier to find Dole Whip w/rum in WDW. You can only getting at the Disneyland Hotel here which is a very long walk from the parks if you're tired.

I live in SoCal and my husband is Canadian. He said 50% of the reason he chose to move down here instead of me moving to Canada is because of the strawberries. They taste great all year long!

I'm a Californian and super spoiled in this regard. You think California strawberries are great from the grocery store? Well, what's even better is when there is a strawberry field near your home and you go there to purchase them directly from the farmer. I now find that grocery store strawberries are hardly sweet and they're all somewhat unripe. We now only eat strawberries when the stand is open for the season - and DH is even pickier, his preference is just to purchase the variety called "Chandler" that is available only at the very beginning of the season!

It has made me aware, sadly, that so much produce that is grown is chosen because it's hardy for surviving travel, looks "pretty," and was likely picked prior to ripening. There's always talk of how Americans don't eat enough fruits and vegetables, but how can that kind of produce compare to processed foods that are intentionally designed for maximum flavor? :( So, yes, there is definitely a lot to be said for the freshness of food!

I went to WDW last year and honestly I didn’t care for the food that much. The snacks just weren’t good. We made sure to bring packaged snacks with us from the hotel once we tried a stale pretzel 🤮. We loved Tiffins at animal kingdom, and the food at coral reef was decent. But overall the snacks and quick service at DL is much better imo.

WDW has much more in terms of options though! And I think their dining experiences are a tad better, just not the food.

I'm a Californian and super spoiled in this regard. You think California strawberries are great from the grocery store? Well, what's even better is when there is a strawberry field near your home and you go there to purchase them directly from the farmer. I now find that grocery store strawberries are hardly sweet and they're all somewhat unripe. We now only eat strawberries when the stand is open for the season - and DH is even pickier, his preference is just to purchase the variety called "Chandler" that is available only at the very beginning of the season!

It has made me aware, sadly, that so much produce that is grown is chosen because it's hardy for surviving travel, looks "pretty," and was likely picked prior to ripening. There's always talk of how Americans don't eat enough fruits and vegetables, but how can that kind of produce compare to processed foods that are intentionally designed for maximum flavor? :( So, yes, there is definitely a lot to be said for the freshness of food!

Those giant strawberries available in February and March are the BEST. We have several strawberry fields in my city and I get them as often as I can. Although, I do find that Costco always has amazing strawberries as well.

We have a large family owned farm here and they have U-Pick strawberries and they are SO good when they are fresh off the vine!

What I always miss when we go on vacation to WDW is big, fresh salads. Every salad I've had at WDW is just a sad mix of iceberg or pale romaine, a few hard diced tomatoes and some shredded carrots, and for whatever reason, cheese. There is always cheese. I miss a big, crisp veggie loaded salad by the end of the week!

- Corn Dogs are a staple at DLR/CA, but WDW didn’t appear to have these for sale
- Churros seem to have very limited availability at WDW, as opposed to DLR/DCA where you can find them all over the parks

The corn dogs at MK are horrible. We had one on our trip in January. Bleh. I'm never getting a corn dog at WDW ever again. I miss the Little Red Wagon ones a lot!

In my opinion, the QS options at WDW are far inferior to DL. At WDW, TS restaurants are a much bigger deal and eating at TS restaurants is a big "thing."

Also, the flat bread pizza at Pinocchio's in MK is pretty vile.

I had a burger in mk inTomorrowland. I couldn't even finish it. And I hate wasting food (and money) like that. Can't wait to get some good DL food in just over a week!
We're going to be in downtown disney the night before our park days start. Hoping to find something yummy there for dinner! Not into fancy sit down restaurants and my husband pretty much lives on pizza. But I'm sure we'll find something.

Black Tap in DTD has our favorite desserts - specialty milkshakes big enough to share.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter