WDW with service dog; tell me all about your experience!

Four weeks paid off, that's pretty 'roomy' for us standards if I'm correct right??

Such a shame you can't get coverage for travel when Skye would unfortunately turn ill. Great you're covered for work and her illness though!

Old? Probably not! Somehow I just made this picture of you as a woman in her 30s, so didn't think you would have a grandson. :)

Interesting to read about how your organization also looks at the urgency of the need. My organization (which happens to have it's origine in the US by the way) doesn't. You get on the waitinglist, just like everybody else. After that they do look at tasks the dog has to do, caractre and the clients wishes (we can tell them which breed we would like or not like). So it can happen that dog A will not go to person1 on the list, not person2 but to person5 as they think dog A will fit their needs best when working their way down the list. So it's like the system that's used for organ donation without the emergency 'moving up the list', like your organization does use. And I must say, I can understand using this for certain situation such as the extend of disability you have.

We do have a good basis when we look at things 'behind closed doors'. Sure, we complain like hell! Sure, things are being cut own over and over, and prices are going 'through the roof'. But when I compare things to the situation in for instance the US or UK, we are very lucky. Good base health insurance for all, nobody can be denied. Roomier health insurance if you opt for it and there are enough out there that will except you even with pre-excisting conditions and at the same premium. When looking at disability pay, we don't do half bad. Looking at aids as wheelchairs, tables, special furniture etcetc. we do pretty great. For instance; I've had my kitchen, bathroom, livingroom, doors and entrence of my home made accessible, all paid for by the council! I get about 500 free taxi miles per year to use as I see fit. And also an unlimited amount of miles for my transportation to and from hospital, doc, dentist, and any therapist. We can get a fair amount paid for for a sportchair. Gouvernment will pay for anything I would need to get done at a place of work to be able to work to an optimum. Whether it being some pece of software, a chair or some reimproving the building, they'll pay. I can have my house taken care of without having to pay more than a small fee. It really is a priveledged situation compaired to most places in the world.

We just don't want to have the nerve to want to venture out. ;) On that department we seriously need to learn a big lesson from the US. Accessibilty seems to be a bad word. ;) And to go back on topic; NO regulation whatsoever about SD's in public. So any company can refuse me entry because of Xippe. Any employee can refuse a worker with an SD etc. Unfortunately it still happens. So you can imagine the weight that was just lifted of my shoulder when the manager of our local grocerystore told me it was A.O.K to bring Xippe along.

The European Union recently had some regulation put up for flying with a disability. In this also SD's are covered. Hopefully this will inspire the members of the EU to have a :idea: moment and make some regulation about SD's in public and private life.

LOL
I posted the picture and then when it came up on the computer I thought, "Oh, ick! People are going to think that is my couch." So, I went back and edited my post really quick. The breeder has a lodge which is really nice, but any patterned fabrics are some kind of hunting pattern. His place would be my taste, but the furniture - NO!

I definitely would've done the same thing! :)

Waggin' Trails Dog Park
Dogs: Age 4 months and up. Not in heat. Pets can run free in the dog park only.
Walkers: Quest staying in one of the Fort Wilderness Campground pet loops. Dog must be accompanied by a person age 12 or older.
Time: Sunrise to sunset.

he new Waggin' Trails Dog Park is located off of the 300 loop of the Fort Wilderness Campground, in the northeast area of the resort. Dogs accompanied by guests age 12 and over can now have some off-leash fun and exercise in the new park. No unaccompanied dogs, puppies under 4 months or dogs in heat will be allowed. Use of the dog park is limited to FW guests staying in one of the designated pet loops. Waggin' Trails is open daily from sunrise to sunset, and as usual, there are several more rules and regulations to abide by, which you will be advised of at check-in.
http://allears.net/aa/aa012808.htm#ques6

That's nice of them to install! I bet it'll make things easier for ppl in the pet loops.

Interesting that they don't allow kenneled dogs in it. I wonder if they have any exceptions planned for ppl with SDs?

This is meant as a service for guests who are at Fort Wilderness. I hope they will open it up to Service Dogs however I doubt that happening as it is an amenity for pet owners staying at their site. I see the resort management saying that service dogs in resorts have the green areas to romp and play. Fort Wilderness pets do not have a safe place to romp and play. We can wish and keep our fingers crossed.

When we stayed at the Poly earlier this year there was a wonderful field next to our building. It was a great place for the dogs to run. The only downside was the silly ducks that hung out outside our room. They didn't seem to have the sense to stay away from dogs. I'd certainly think that a field such as the one next to our building would be a great area for a dog to run. It's not a contained area but a well trained dog ought to be able to romp, have fun, and still stay under its handler's control. Our dogs (a golden and a golden/lab mix) did very well. We had absolutely no problems at all with the dogs.

Disney will tell you and will enforce their policy that a SD is welcome everywhere on property but MUST remain on a leash or harness at all times, so there's really no place they can run without breaking that rule...except the dog park. I've been to the dog park before with Skye and no one has ever had a problem with that. I do take her vest off though as she is off duty when playing and visiting with other dogs. It's not easy to get to, there's no parking nearby, so it isn't something that most people with SD's would either find the time or convenience to do. I did ask at the front desk though at Ft. Wilderness and was told my SD was welcome in the park there- this was soon after it first opened. I was even given a map with the location circled.---Kathy

If your dog needs to run and you can't get to a place where you can take them off lead, you could let them run in an open area next to your hotel. You could use one of the leashes that extends so that your dog could have a very long lead. That should allow a dog to run a bit and get the stress out.

The dog park is back by the pet loops so it's not convenient to get to by guests who aren't staying in that area. It's not close to a bus stop, etc. and isn't even easy to find unless you're really familiar with Ft. Wilderness. We're actually staying at Ft. Wilderness in the cabins tomorrow and Saturday- the park is a long way from the cabins but Skye likes the exercise to get there and the paths all are w/c friendly for me to get there with her. I'm looking foward to her being able to enjoy the "pools" w/in the park and playing a bit with some fellow canines. Laura- we have a very long flexi lead but it doesn't really allow for running and playing freely. I know Skye wouldn't hurt a flea and "comes" back on instant command, but other guests don't know that and it's against policy for us to let our dogs off leash. It's tough, because as you mentioned, they need to get out that pent-up energy. After all, a SD is working all the time and being attentive to it's handler, so they never can really relax. Everyone needs some down-time and a SD needs a chance to just be a dog at some point in the day.---Kathy ( and Skye)

So it isn't near a bus stop or anything? That stinks.

There are three internal bus routes and the dog park is on the yellow route.

Busses have a signboard that says which bus is which colour.
http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/ftw159.jpg

You can take the yellow bus to the 300 & 500 loop bus stop.
Those loops are opposite each other. The yellow bus goes through the eastern have of Fort Wilderness and connects the main entrance with the Pioneer Hall area.
http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/ftw158.jpg

You can take Purple or Blue busses to one end of the Campground then transfer to the yellow bus if you are staying at the Campground.

I love seeing service dogs at the parks. It just reminds me everytime just how darn smart and loving dogs are. One time, I was looking at a service dog, I am fascinated how calm and assertive they are in a crowd, and whilst I was looking, I fel off of a disney bus. :confused3

I'm so glad people have the opportunity to use service dogs.

Ouch Orlando. Never knew a SD could be harmfull for others. ;)

A bit of a silly question about dogfood in the US. I will be switching Xippes food after he's gotten used overhere. For the easiness of things, I want to change to a brand that is widely avalable in multiple countries I tend to travel to. So far I've been able to find out that Pedigree is one of the brands that I can get in multiple countries. What about the US, what are the commonly available brands in your corner of the world?

I wouldn't consider Pedigree to be a good enough quality food. You probably want to find a brand where the first three ingredients are meat...and not meat by-products either. If the first ingredient is corn or wheat, etc....stay away. I switched Skye from Eukanuba ( what she was on when I got her) to Innova. It's not as widely available as I'd like and it's pricey but I buy it online and have it shipped to my doorstep. I use a company that almost always has 22% off once a month and use Ebates first to get a rebate for my purchase...thus pretty much negating the shipping charges. I try to buy only organic treats or make my own from organic products. Last year there was a scare with products from China and tainted wheat gluten, so I no longer buy anything with that as an ingredient since I don't trust that the problem has been eliminated. You probably want to do some online research about dog food and quality- there are several really good brands out there that will all be available in the US- I guess then you'd have to check what's available in the other countries you visit. ---Kathy ( and Skye )

I reported on a board for a dog sim about the food recall last year. Pet food generally is made in plants that can have different suppliers. Like human food the pet food made in different countries may vary. Some pet food is a bit weird like cans of ground up beaver meat despite dogs being omniverous and willing and able to eat many things. I no longer have a dog or cat, sigh. Want to get a dog. Basically you are paying for advertising, fillers, and the name. During that recall the cheap off brands were found to be made in the same plant as the food costing twice as much.

Hey Sue, technically would dog food count as medical exemption since it is for a service dog? I am kidding.:woohoo:

A bit of a silly question about dogfood in the US. I will be switching Xippes food after he's gotten used overhere. For the easiness of things, I want to change to a brand that is widely avalable in multiple countries I tend to travel to. So far I've been able to find out that Pedigree is one of the brands that I can get in multiple countries. What about the US, what are the commonly available brands in your corner of the world?

Some countries don't have a problem with bringing your own dog food in (some they have to be in a manufacturer-sealed bag) - you have to check the regulations. So, you could use a quality food instead of that nasty stuff that is available widely (like Pedigree) if you can bring the food with you (or if the food is available in that country).

I use high-quality Merrick and B.G. Before Grain (owned by Merrick - grain-free food), which are made in the company's own plant (one of only a couple like that) using U.S. human-grade ingredients. I highly recommend them, but don't know if they sell outside of the US & Canada.

I agree that the food should be human-grade, and not byproducts of human grade meats and ingredients. One of the important things to research is how and where the food is processed. Most manufacturers process the food at a very high temp, thus removing the nutrients and vitamins, then spray on the same nutrients and vitamins they removed after it's processed. Innova, for one, slow bakes their food to retain the nutrients. Innova makes Evo, which is all meat/no grain for those who prefer it,..I buy the large breed regular food. Other quality brands(some make treats) include Eagle Pack, Chicken Soup, Merrick,Canidae, Evangers, and Red Barn. There are others but I can't remember them all off the top of my head. Many manufacturers are now making organic foods, but be careful to research any food as to how and where it's produced, as it's better to have a product where you know the manufacturing standards and where the ingredients are obtained. If you write to the manufacturers, some will send samples and coupons plus literature. ---Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter