We. Are. CHUNKY! DISBoards Epic Girls Trip May 2019 THE END! Epilogue: Dream Cruise, Club 33 and a new TR!

What a great and successful first day! It's too bad some of your food was lackluster and a bummer that you weren't able to ride Gringotts, but overall, you did very well!

As someone who can (and loves to!) ride Forbidden Journey multiple times in a row but REFUSES to go back on Rip Ride Rockit, I think you made a solid choice to pass it by. It's too bad that Fast and the Furious was bad - you should have tried Race Through New York with Jimmy Fallon instead!

I think that Raptor encounter is hysterical...my family refused to do it on our last trip.
I refuse to do it! I already get nightmares from the movies - can't imagine how many more from a life-size puppet!

Such a fun first day! Loads of fun with some pretty danged fantastic company along for the ride if I do say so myself. I'm hoping to get to Uni someday- you never know... I can be pretty impetuous at times. LOL!
You definitely should! I love the Harry Potter areas - I could spend hours wandering in Diagon Alley alone! I don't know if you've read the books or seen the movies, but they really come to life!

Joining in! Those Orlando Informer nights seem super fun! I'm tempted to do the one in December but I also have a hard time giving up my Disney at Christmas time so that probably won't happen haha

Hufflepuff forever! Happy to follow along on another trip report. I've done a few girls trips to Disney - they are the best!

Joining in! Those Orlando Informer nights seem super fun! I'm tempted to do the one in December but I also have a hard time giving up my Disney at Christmas time so that probably won't happen haha
Oh you need to do it! Totally worthwhile. And you can get most of a full Disney day, just head over in the early evening! But if I was ever going again when they had one, I totally would do it!

What a fun first day. SCORE on your room! I am local-ish and I have not paid nearly enough attention to Universal, especially as a huge Harry Potter fan. Must fix! I’ve heard of Orlando Informer events but not checked any out. I am very nervous about some of these rides... perhaps part of why I’ve stayed away. Not a thrill-ride lover. All in all, looks like a really great first day!!

Here! Probably on page like 20 already.... but here!

Looking forward to hearing about this trip!

Thank you for reading!

Chunkybuzzy here and joining in!

Yay! I miss my Chunkybuzzy!

I know, I was bummed when I realized I never got any pictures with anyone except Billie, Sarah and Liesa :scared: I was the chunkyghost :groom:

I know! I'm sad, but did you see pictures of that awesome quilt Jen made? You are in like 3 pictures on it so I see you all the time :)

I'm here too. I can't believe I missed this earlier...:love:

Hi Jenny!! So great to see you here! I can't wait to swap stories of the Epic trip!

I'm here! Yay! So looking forward to this!! I'm very sad I couldn't end up being part of the Chunky list, but I'm so excited to try to live it vicariously through your TRs!

I know, we are sad you couldn't join us but for sure on the next one!!

This is so appropriate. Nathan loves this drink now, and every time we order it I think of Luke and his raving review.

It's been a while since I've had one of those but I did remember liking it a lot!

ChunkyLush (complete with a glass of wine) reporting for trip report reading duty :drinking1

About time!! :)
Now please pass that bottle of wine...:drinking1

So, so jealous:sad2:

Next time!! We will definitely have to meet up again!

Following along.
UglyGlaringGossamerwingedbutterfly-size_restricted.gif

Not gonna lie probably gonna use this gif on every Epic TR I read.

Love my Chunkythump nickname even if I didn't end up making it to the Epic trip I was there in spirit and following along on FB really eased the pain of not making it. Can't wait to read the deets.

Hi Glenda Chunkythump!! You were definitely there in spirit and hope you make it to the next one!!

Following along!

Yay! Thanks for reading!

Following! Looking forward to reading more :D

Thank you for following!

Following along!!!

Yay and welcome!!

The few weeks before the trip we all posted our salon trips as well! I thought that was so fun. I got a haircut and color a few days before we left.
Here's what I posted: Before, and After.
Yeah, you will not see my "during" picture posted anywhere outside our fun FB group lol!

I didn't book a crazy early flight because I've learned from past trips that we're always so exhausted with early flights
We have since decided this also after a few years of liking the early flights. Early flight = a while Disney day, except when you're out of steam by 5pm lol. As much as I would love a full arrival day in July we are all happy we have an afternoon flight.

I like how the security is at the city walk area and so you only have to check your bags once and you don't have to do it again when going to either of the parks
You may or may not be aware I am not a big Uni fan at all, but they definitely do security right!

I have decided the food at Leaky Cauldron is just not that great.
May I add the food at Three Broomsticks isn't either :duck:Sorry HP fans but it's just not :o

Steve and Lesley went to ride Forbidden Journey while Karilynn and I sat that one out. That ride makes me ill!
I love Gringottt's but one ride on FJ in my lifetime is enough lol.

We did some rides which we had never been on including Kong: Skull Island.
What did you think? Again as a non-Uni fan I don't love this, I miss the old "Kong" ride there, but it's probably one of my top 5 attractions. And I probably only like about 5 attractions lol. I wish there wasn't a 3D element, it's too prevalent in Uni.

It sounds like you had a great first day. I love when things just fall into place like flights being on time and such.

I haven't been to Universal Studios in a long time. I really need to visit WWOHP, but my trips are usually about four to six days, and I hate giving up Disney time.

Hi Jenny!! So great to see you here! I can't wait to swap stories of the Epic trip!

I know, right!! There were so many people I didn't get the chance to hang out with as much as I wanted to. Everyone on the trip though was super sweet, and I'm in awe how this whole trip worked out. I really hope we do it again someday...:love: This whole DIS group is something special.

Made it!
Catching up everywhere is time consuming (but worth it), and is the reason for my tardiness. :)

I have now dubbed myself Princess Chunkymonkey, because, well, why not?

Good enough reason.

I just got back home from what was the most amazing Disney-filled 2-week trip at the most magical place on earth.

Glad it was "amazing"! :)

Because Ohana means Chunky, right? :cutie:

::yes:: So I am told!

We also had some other DISmeets with @pkondz

:wave:

And oh maybe a VIP tour thrown in somewhere:

Niiiiiice!

Oh but no "Steves" are allowed, so why is he here?

Yeah! I stayed away in deference to the all girls theme.

Seriously... this is such a great shot.

I mean, someone had to carry the bags and fetch us water (drinks), right? :littleangel:

Ah! So then there was some use for them.

(Steve doing the Chunkydump, a new posed coined by @Steppesister)

::yes::

:lmao:

@Lesley Wake (Lesley) = Chunkylander beause she is my Disneyland guru and there can only be one, like Highlander
@Steppesister (Liesa) = Chunkydump ok Liesa brought this upon herself and the name stuck. It's also a great dance move, you should ask her to to show you some time. :) Her mom came along for some of the trip and I called her Chunkymom
@missjackiemcg (Jackie) = Chunkylite because of her love of Miller lite
@Malia78 (Karilynn) = Chunkytraveler because she loves to travel around the world! Her boyfriend who surprised her on the trip has been named Chunkytramp after Lady and the Tramp
@Mollydolly334 (Molly) = Chukybaby because she's the youngest and cutest!!
@disneyAndi14 (Caroline) = Chunkyandi because she travels to Disney with her DD Andi all the time so I thought she should be represented on Epic trip too!
@Elevationist (Billie) = Chunkywheels which she coined herself. :)
@IowaTater (Sarah) = Chunkytater which is just the cutest name ever
@Pluto0809 (Ariana) = Chunkypluto because of her love of all things Pluto!
@ariane37 (Ariane) = Chunkyballs because she's just, well, ballsy! Her DH Steve is Chunkyminer because he loves 7DMT
@kastoney (Kari) = Chunkylush this one was agreed upon by everyone and I think anyone can figure out why. We've also bestowed Chunky names on her DD Casey (Chunkystinkbutt) and her DH Jason (Chunkychef)
@buzzrelly (Kelly) = Chunkybuzzy because I thought it was a cute derivative of her username!
@fallonkendra (Fallon) = Chunkypuck because she's Canadian and her DH Luke is Chunkyducksinlove which is the name he chose!
@ArielSRL (Renee) = Chunkyneenee (accent on the e, pronounced nay nay) because I've always wanted to call someone nay nay! Her DH Chad is Chunkychad but I may change it to Chunkyradio.
@pepperandchips (Melinda) = Chunkypepper which is totally appropriate given her love for food and drink. Her DH "R" is Chunky-R which I like to pronounce Chunkierrrr or Chunky-ARRR depending on if you're a pirate or not. :)
@paradesintherain (Kara) = Chunkyparades which is such a fun name. Her dad came along for the trip and so he was given the name Chunkyparadedad!
@Jenny Sanders (Jenny) = Chunkysanders and her DH is ChunkyJoe!
@Chrystmasangel (Jen) = Chunkyangel for being an angel and blessing me and Lesley with the most amazing gifts.
@LindseyJo22 (Lindsey) = Chunkyrunner because she's always doing the Run Disney races! I want to be able to do a half one day!
@MissMaryQC (Mary) = Chunkyfree and her sister is Chunkykat! Although I should maybe call Mary Chunkysyrup. It's a great story!
@StarWarsMomofGirls! (Ariella) = Chunkysaucy because it's just so fun and makes me hungry, LOL.
@cinderkelly (Kelly) = Chunkyrub because she owns a spa and offered us all backrubs :)

and for those not "officially" part of the Epic Girls Trip but who we met up with at some points during our trip:

@pkondz = Chunkykondz
@docsoliday1 = Chunkydoc
@amalone1013 = I'm going to call her Chunkyliner because we seriously keep bumping into each other in line for rides!
@jedijill = Chunkyjedi which is just about the coolest name ever.

and someone very special...let's just call this person "Chunkydust" as in pixie dust, for giving us and me some very special treats on this trip. :)

Thanks for that list! That's great! :goodvibes

What a great first day to kick off your trip! Looks like you had a pretty successful night at the Orlando Informer Event. It's funny that you mention about the scare actors in the Kong queue because my sister was in FL at the end of April right before y'all and she rode Kong, went through the queue and everything and said there weren't any scare actors so I thought it was done. But for you there were. I wonder if it's hit or miss hmmmm Also love all the Potter wear and yes, Steve is correct, Ravenclaw is for intellectuals (but Slytherins are easily just as smart hehe)

My BIL Marc picked us up from our house and sent us to the airport for our 9am flight.

A very reasonable hour.

I packed until 1 am so I don't think I got the most sleep but it's better than if I got up for a 6am flight.

Or earlier...

Steve continues to have his "what am I getting myself into" face which he does when he's tired and I drag him on a plane to Disney LOL.

:laughing:

It was cold when we left NYC, it was around 50 degrees F.

50? Nice.

and we arrived in FL in about 2 hours and 15 minutes. It was definitely a much warmer 80 degrees.

It was definitely warmer!

We were surprised with a very large suite-like room with a kitchen and living room.

Nice!

Comfort zone? I thought of it as his natural habitat.

I am channeling Hufflepuff for tonight's event:

Maybe that's the reason Elle liked you so much. Pretty sure that's what she is too.

I like how the security is at the city walk area and so you only have to check your bags once and you don't have to do it again when going to either of the parks.

::yes:: I liked that too.

You can see that Steve is Ravenclaw. He wasn't sorted but he chose it because he claims it's the intellectual group.

:laughing: Wonder what the hat would put him in.

Boy it's really far to walk to Diagon Alley from the front!

Yes. Yes it is.

Steve and I went to order some food because we were starving.

Always a sound reason to order food.

For this event, they didn't have a separate buffet but all the quick service places remained open until midnight with unlimited food offerings.
\

Oh! Nice.

I got the Bangers and Mash:

That looked good...

It was ok. The potatoes were undercooked, and the sausages lacked flavor.

… but very sad to hear that.

I have decided the food at Leaky Cauldron is just not that great.

Sorry to hear that. :(

These are definitely not Yorkshire Fish Shoppe quality but it was alright except the fries were cold.

Yuck. Cold fries. Blech.

Lesley has a funny video of Steve trying to walk through Platform 9 and 3/4. He kept stopping and we kept telling him to go. Doh. I haven't yet uploaded any video but I do have one of Lesley walking through really fast.

We didn't see that! I wanted to get a photo, but... never even saw it.

They have the cool light up bands:

Very cool. :)

Steve and Lesley went to ride Forbidden Journey while Karilynn and I sat that one out. That ride makes me ill!

Too bad. Really good ride!

So we went on something much tamer...the Dr. Seuss ride, the one I like to call the Universal Peoplemover. :)

::yes:: I thought the same thing.

I have a really large face! :-)

No, you don't. You're very pretty. You both are.

We went on the Cat in the Hat ride next which I had never been on before! I didn't realize it was there in that land, LOL.

They should've put it in Diagon Alley.

:rolleyes1

went on Flight of the Hippogriff, which like the tiniest coaster, like Barnstormer!

It's so short! :laughing:

We also got a few butterbeers that night. I don't have pictures of them but they were unlimited too so we definitely got them a few times.

Gawd I love those.

Yum!

Those are great! I tried to get Elle to pose under one, but she said no.

Steve, myself and Lesley went to ride on Spiderman. I think this ride is really fun and well done.

::yes::

Steve and I went to ride the Hulk coaster. We put our stuff in the locker but I forgot I had my phone in my pocket so they had to send me back to put it in a locker.

Whoopsie!

Still... better than your phone going flying.

I sent Steve back LOL so I didn't have to run.

;) Smart girl.

:laughing: Love this shot!

Look at how happy Steve is that I'm about to be devoured by a deadly ancient dinosaur!!

:lmao:

Are you insured???

Funny story, we went through the queue which was empty and they have these scare actors on the queue which scared the S**T out of the very grown-up adult macho male walking behind me that he practically jumped onto me

:eek: I didn't know this!!

I was warned of these things so tried not to look at anything and to go through the line as fast as possible but the person behind us didn't know!

I had no idea. I probably would've jumped too!

We used the walkway back to Studios instead of taking Hogwarts Express

Didn't know this existed!

So we went to ride Fast and Furious which we had never done before. OK everyone, this ride is super lame. It's all CGI and just didn't feel real at all. We were not impressed.

Glad we aren't the only ones who thought so.

Definitely tired but we had a fun night!

Good! :goodvibes

Following along as well!

Thank you and welcome!!

SAME here. I'm not normally prone to motion sickness but I had to leave the park after riding this one for the first time. I'll walk through for the queue when we go in the fall but I will not set foot on that ride again.

Yes it almost ruined the last Orlando Informer event we went to 2 years ago! I used to be able to do that ride once, but I am definitely not going on it again!

I actually thought I was going to die on this one. They were only filling half the seats and running the ride (odd) and then the entire time I was on it, I kept feeling like the bar that goes across to hold you in was going to fly open.

LOL I totally felt like that too! And the falling part...It was terrible!

I got used to that face all week!

That is just his regular face. :lmao:

We should have made him a Slytherin and I could have dressed in Ravenclaw gear. Then we would have fully represented the houses!

That is true! Or you could have been in Slytherin!

Well you’re supposed to take it at a run!

I need to upload my videos today!

Indeed you are supposed run!
Where do you upload your videos to do share? I do them on youtube but I unlist them since they are just short snippets. I was hoping for an easier way but not sure if there is one.

Yay....glad to see the first installment! I think that Raptor encounter is hysterical...my family refused to do it on our last trip. And totally agree with you on Fast N Furious...as does most of the world who have done it I think. It was worse for us because when we did ride it...it broke down...and they didn't even announce it was having issues while we waited.

Isn't it? OMG I was dying I was cracking up so much and I refused to even look at the raptor, LOL.
Ugh that ride, it was so bad, you could totally tell it was completely a fake track and all simulator and the people didn't even look real!

Such a fun first day! Loads of fun with some pretty danged fantastic company along for the ride if I do say so myself. I'm hoping to get to Uni someday- you never know... I can be pretty impetuous at times. LOL!

Yes the company was the best part of the night :)
I think it's worth a trip on the side. It definitely takes you out of the Disney bubble for a moment but it also makes you appreciate some of the things they do better at Disney, like FOOD.

What an incredibly awesome first day. You all look like you had so much fun!!!!

It was great fun! I would definitely do one of these events again!

I think Luke had... three of these on this trip? At one point while I was supervising some face painting, he disappeared with Melinda’s R and they both came back drinking one :laughing:

Aww that's so cute, they had a little tipsy duck date!

Sounds like a smooth trip down to Orlando!
The Informer event sounds so fun! Looks like you all had a great time together! And I love the pics from the raptor encounter.

We definitely had travel luck on this trip, no delays and everything was on time.
It was a great first night and definitely set the mood for the rest of the trip...exhausted but in a GOOD way, LOL.

Perfect Outfit!

Thank you!

These are hilarious!

The encounter is a riot. I giggled the whole time.

What a great and successful first day! It's too bad some of your food was lackluster and a bummer that you weren't able to ride Gringotts, but overall, you did very well!

Yeah the food really was second fiddle to the rides. I wish we could ave done gringotts. We should probably have started with that one, but the wait was still long at the beginning of the event.

As someone who can (and loves to!) ride Forbidden Journey multiple times in a row but REFUSES to go back on Rip Ride Rockit, I think you made a solid choice to pass it by. It's too bad that Fast and the Furious was bad - you should have tried Race Through New York with Jimmy Fallon instead!

We did do Jimmy Fallon on our last visit! It is definitely better than Fast and Furious. What made it cool was the lobby looking exactly like Rockefeller Center in NYC. I was amazed at the detail!

I am here, but will have to go back to read. Sorry I am late.

Hi Karin!! So happy to see you here. I'm catching up on your TR as well, there is a lot to catch up on but happy to do so!

yeah! another trip report. I can't wait to hear of your adventures. :)

Thank you for joining!

Sounds like so much fun!

Thank you it was!!

I refuse to do it! I already get nightmares from the movies - can't imagine how many more from a life-size puppet!

LOL it was definitely a little scary and I felt like a little kid so I kept giggling.

You should definitely think about attending one! The lines are super short at all the rides (except for the H rides, which had longer waits) so it's a good opportunity to try them.

Hufflepuff forever! Happy to follow along on another trip report. I've done a few girls trips to Disney - they are the best!

Yay Hufflepuff!
And girl trips are a lot of fun! I have to do more, next time maybe I should leave Steve at home.

What a great first day! Universal looks really fun. I'm in the same house as Steve! Go Ravenclaw!
Can't wait to hear more.

Thank you!
LOL Steve will be happy to hear that!!

What a fun first day. SCORE on your room! I am local-ish and I have not paid nearly enough attention to Universal, especially as a huge Harry Potter fan. Must fix! I’ve heard of Orlando Informer events but not checked any out. I am very nervous about some of these rides... perhaps part of why I’ve stayed away. Not a thrill-ride lover. All in all, looks like a really great first day!!

I know, we were surprised to get such a large room, but I think that type of Hyatt is all suites which is pretty cool.
It was a lot of fun! I think the Informer events are worth it! Just be prepared with a plan of attack and know which rides are worth doing and make sure to eat everything in sight! I had 2 churros that night as well, LOL. I think Gringotts is fun without being crazy. There aren't any big drops in that one, just small drops like Thunder Mountain. Forbidden Journey I would skip because the ride vehicle flips and swerves and it gives me motion sickness. Many of the other rides like Transformers, Jimy Fallon, Minions, and simpsons are simulation rides, so if you're ok with that sort of thing then there are a ton of them. Kong is worth doing, definitely Men in Black, ET, Spiderman, and the Dr. Seuss area is really cool. I think the Jurassic Park ride is a little scary at the end because of the big drop but the first part of it is pretty neat. But the food is just not that great so there is less of a draw for me, unlike at Disney where everything is so yummy!

Yeah, you will not see my "during" picture posted anywhere outside our fun FB group lol!

LOL I thought that was a very cute picture of you!

We have since decided this also after a few years of liking the early flights. Early flight = a while Disney day, except when you're out of steam by 5pm lol. As much as I would love a full arrival day in July we are all happy we have an afternoon flight.

Yeah I hear you, sometimes we do it and sometimes we don't, it depends on price. But I definitely prefer the later morning flights

You may or may not be aware I am not a big Uni fan at all, but they definitely do security right!

Yes LOL I have heard.
That part is definitely easier than at Disney!

May I add the food at Three Broomsticks isn't either :duck:Sorry HP fans but it's just not :o

I agree, we ate there too on our trip in 2017 and it was disappointing.

I love Gringottt's but one ride on FJ in my lifetime is enough lol.

Same here, wish we could have gone on it that night.

What did you think? Again as a non-Uni fan I don't love this, I miss the old "Kong" ride there, but it's probably one of my top 5 attractions. And I probably only like about 5 attractions lol. I wish there wasn't a 3D element, it's too prevalent in Uni.

I thought Kong was one of the better simulation attractions. I do miss that old backstage ride! Just like I miss Disney's version too. I feel like there are no more rides like that that take you behind the scenes because everything is all CGI now. And did they take away that Jaws ride? I could have sworn that used to be there too...
I agree that I would really only do a few attractions there next time, but those I really do like: Gingotts, MIB, ET, Hulk and Spiderman. I'd probably focus my time on just doing those multiple times. Oh and the Dr. Seuss train!

It sounds like you had a great first day. I love when things just fall into place like flights being on time and such.

I haven't been to Universal Studios in a long time. I really need to visit WWOHP, but my trips are usually about four to six days, and I hate giving up Disney time.

I know! We were lucky to have had no plane delays.
I agree that it is tough to choose between Disney and Universal...I usually just choose Disney all the way, but it's nice to go to an event like this that happens at night so you can still do Disney during the day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter