We are fresh off of Panama Canal cruise

Overall it was a great cruise. My only complaint is that I feel on such a long cruise if they have to cancel a port there really should be a plan be. 3 ports in 14 days is not enough ports. 4 would have been suitable but 5 would have been perfect.

I completely agree with this. When we pulled in to San Diego this morning, we could not wait to get off the ship. Not having a plan B really stunk! The 2014 EBPC Cruise missed both Western Mexican ports due to weather. You would think that they would have thought things though...but nope...and then a lot of the evening entertainment was geared for adults so our 4 year old was OVER IT, by about "Costa Rica" on the map.

My ds is 14 and he loved it. The cruise flew by. We were in 6516 which I upgraded to at the port. It is an oceanview cabin. I personally wish we would have got on port side for the views in the ports. On panama canal day it doesn't matter where you are. As far as ports we were disappointed that we could not stop at Puerto Vallarta due to it being too dangerous. I love sea days but I also love ports so even though we found plenty to do, I felt the break of a port is needed. We did secret river in Cozumel, a private tour in Cartagena and the outback camel adventure, which we loved.
What was dangerous about Puerto Vallarta? Was it weather?

What was dangerous about Puerto Vallarta? Was it weather?
Puerto Vallarta has been having a lot of street violence.

I think it's hard to have a plan B when you have a schedule to keep and ports must be set up ahead of time. It would be nice, I just don't think it's practical to think they can do it on the fly.

So they did the Frozen deck party with meet and greets on your cruise? I asked earlier on the boards if the Frozen party would be on the October Panama Canal-my daughter would be in heaven!! Is Pirate night the only guaranteed themed deck party night with fireworks if the Frozen deck party stops by then? Were there plenty of characters and greet times?
Frozen characters for pictures/meet and greets were Anna and Elsa and Olof.
So they did the Frozen deck party with meet and greets on your cruise? I asked earlier on the boards if the Frozen party would be on the October Panama Canal-my daughter would be in heaven!! Is Pirate night the only guaranteed themed deck party night with fireworks if the Frozen deck party stops by then? Were there plenty of characters and greet times?

There were photo ops with Anna and Elsa the first couple of days. We got tickets right away when we boarded and had an assigned time so the wait wasn't bad. Olaf was toward the end of the cruise and we waited over an hour in line. All of the Frozen pictures were in Animators Pallet.

I think it's hard to have a plan B when you have a schedule to keep and ports must be set up ahead of time. It would be nice, I just don't think it's practical to think they can do it on the fly.

A Plan B...in regards to onboard activities would have been nice. The kids club was closed part of the day...open house for more of the day...they have control over adding to the onboard experience.

A Plan B...in regards to onboard activities would have been nice. The kids club was closed part of the day...open house for more of the day...they have control over adding to the onboard experience.
True. I guess I assumed they did that, and you know what that does...

When we did the first canal cruise we really enjoyed Puerto Vallarta. Of course I'm fairly sure we had a 12 yr old cab driver coming back to the ship but the downtown area was really nice. We also loved the giant Wal-Mart right accross from the cruise terminal. We still talk about how cool the deli section was 7 yrs later. At that time the locals were really excited about the Disney Cruise coming in and what it could do for the economy so that's really sad to hear it's gotten like that.

How early can I book by flight home from San Diego? Looking at schedules a month before there are 12:30 flights out. Is that too early? I'm thinking the airport is fairly close to the port.

Any questions? I know I spent a year researching and answers were hard to find.

Were the dressers and desks in the staterooms replaced with new ones? When we were on in November the wood furniture in our room was pretty beaten up.

Do you remember who was leading adult activities in wavebands in the evening?

Last edited:
Overall it was a great cruise. My only complaint is that I feel on such a long cruise if they have to cancel a port there really should be a plan be. 3 ports in 14 days is not enough ports. 4 would have been suitable but 5 would have been perfect.

I agree. I think it's tough because everywhere along that area of Mexico is kinda in the same boat. The unrest, from my understanding, is pretty wide spread. I was sad to miss the beach day in Vallarta.

Think about it! From our Cartegena port to Cabo...we didn't step foot off the ship for an entire week! Wow!

I was surprised not to see more added on the Vallarta day. More movies? Maybe even change up the loop on the in-room tv channels??? I think I've seen that same set loop enough times now I'm good for that set of movies for a couple years minimum. LOL!

Were the dressers and desks in the staterooms replaced with new ones? When we were on in November the wood furniture in our room was pretty beaten up.

Andy!

Hoping we just had him on a bad week last time. We had a lot more fun with others.

Because they can not do the fireworks in Alaska The Frozen Deck Party will replace Pirates Night while in Alaska. No one mentioned if it would continue after the Alaska season. But because Frozen is so popular and you are doing the October repositioning I bet they will do it.

I think the wood furniture was the same but I could be wrong. Our rooms furniture was in good condition.

I agree. I think it's tough because everywhere along that area of Mexico is kinda in the same boat. The unrest, from my understanding, is pretty wide spread. I was sad to miss the beach day in Vallarta.

Think about it! From our Cartegena port to Cabo...we didn't step foot off the ship for an entire week! Wow!

I was surprised not to see more added on the Vallarta day. More movies? Maybe even change up the loop on the in-room tv channels??? I think I've seen that same set loop enough times now I'm good for that set of movies for a couple years minimum. LOL!
I agree about the movies. That would have been an easy fix. We never even got to see the new Cinderella movie because it was either during dinner or a main show.

I agree about the movies. That would have been an easy fix. We never even got to see the new Cinderella movie because it was either during dinner or a main show.

I was expecting more classics than we got, too. I loved those! The first one, "Meet Me in St. Louis", was pretty darned full! Not gonna lie, I was almost in tears at the end of the movie just wrapping my brain around having seen one of my all-time favorites on the big screen. That was a real moment for me. Truly.

Graduating our oldest son (homeschool high school graduation) on Gatun Lake was pretty darned perfect. It was the perfect moment for our family.

To add to this, I know the avenger movie was popular but I don't think it should have been the main event for 2 nights.
Was it the same one twice or was it different Avenger movies? I have no idea. I don't get into that franchise. LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter