We are survivors of a mass shooting and have a question about Disney

I'm so sorry! We were in the Ft. Lauderdale airport just 2 weeks before that happened, and I can only imagine how horrible that was! I live in Carroll County, IN, just a few minutes away from where 2 girls my son's age (14) went hiking a few months ago and were murdered, so I understand keeping them close to you after tragedy.

That being said, would it be an option to put a tracking app on their phones, and yours, so that you can see where they are at all times? We have the AT&T family map, it costs a little but worth it. I believe there are some good free ones too.

I might be wrong, but officially at 14 yrs old and up can be in the park alone, your kids are not old enough per Disney policy to be there all by themselves, I definitely don't see why not both kids can do some touring on their own, but I will suggest you to be at the same time in the park and meet up at some point. Have a great trip!

I might be wrong, but officially at 14 yrs old and up can be in the park alone, your kids are not old enough per Disney policy to be there all by themselves, I definitely don't see why not both kids can do some touring on their own, but I will suggest you to be at the same time in the park and meet up at some point. Have a great trip!

14 and up is to enter and exit and be responsible for those under 14 including those under 7. 7-13 are allowed to be in the park alone but can not leave the park or enter parks alone. Under 7 must be accompanied by someone 14+ at all times.

Before you make a final decision I would ask the other boy's parents what they think. They may be expecting you to supervise the boys at all times or they may be completely fine with the boys going off on their own.

My only other advice (besides the wonderful suggestions others have already given) is to give each boy a code word/phase to say during a call/text if they are in trouble or uncomfortable in a situation and don't want to come right out and say it. Give each boy a different word and make it something that can easily be worked into a conversation. (Ex... Have them ask how Aunt Amy is feeling or if the neighbor found their cat.)

My children are still little, so I don't have much advice to offer as to what age they should be- but I just wanted to tell you I hope you have a wonderful vacation!

14 and up is to enter and exit and be responsible for those under 14 including those under 7. 7-13 are allowed to be in the park alone but can not leave the park or enter parks alone. Under 7 must be accompanied by someone 14+ at all times.
yes!! that's what I meant *can't
sorry for the typo

First off, I'm so sorry for your horrible experience. Sending thoughts and prayers for continued healing.

Start small. Give them a couple hours and a meeting point. Build from there. I'm so sorry you endured what you did.

And this, totally this. I have a 13 year old DS and we have now brought his friend along twice, this past April and the year before. So the boys were 12 at the first trip. As Capang said, we started small - you boys want to go on X while we go get a snack or go on Y, meet us here in an hour. Then a couple of hours. Then we went separate ways at rope drop and met back up for lunch...you get the picture. A couple of things we stressed with them - always stay together, and keep your cell phones charged. It helps that I have Life 360 on DS's phone (that also helped in the other direction when my phone slipped out of my pocket on Big Thunder...I used DS's phone and I could see it going around and around each time I refreshed!)

Anyway, I don't have the background experience that you guys did, but that's how we've slowly let more "slack in the leash" - they earn the trust and we let it out a little more, all while building our own comfort level with letting them spread their wings.

Both boys have cell phones FYI and are great kids. Respectful of others and very kind. Also I just wanted to say I don't use the term "survivors of mass shootings" lightly. Everyone in a circle around us died. Everyone. God watched over us that day. The ironic part is I cancelled our original vacation In early December as I run a major hospitality destination in a major resort town that had massive wildfires the previous month. So it was a really bad few months for us and I think we can be forgiven for being a bit skittish!
I would set a meet spot and time within the park. can not think of a safer spot to try their abilities. I am guessing East Tennessee and as much as I love Disney we spend a lot of time in that area. my older grandsons,15 and 12, do that in Dollywood

First off, I'm so sorry for your horrible experience. Sending thoughts and prayers for continued healing.

And this, totally this. I have a 13 year old DS and we have now brought his friend along twice, this past April and the year before. So the boys were 12 at the first trip. As Capang said, we started small - you boys want to go on X while we go get a snack or go on Y, meet us here in an hour. Then a couple of hours. Then we went separate ways at rope drop and met back up for lunch...you get the picture. A couple of things we stressed with them - always stay together, and keep your cell phones charged. It helps that I have Life 360 on DS's phone (that also helped in the other direction when my phone slipped out of my pocket on Big Thunder...I used DS's phone and I could see it going around and around each time I refreshed!)

Anyway, I don't have the background experience that you guys did, but that's how we've slowly let more "slack in the leash" - they earn the trust and we let it out a little more, all while building our own comfort level with letting them spread their wings.

That's my thought too.... an hour or two here, then we all meet up at this time. Don't be late. And then definite meet ups for lunch. Maybe make it where you tell them, ok, these are the times we are all together. But you two can have an hour in the morning, and one in the afternoon to do whatever.

That's a horrible, horrible thing you went through, and I don't blame you at all for being worried about it. Things like that shake you to the core and aren't easy to move past. I will say though, that I've heard that part of why Disney changed their entry protpcol, so that there's not a bunch of people in a bottleneck, just in case something like that were to happen, or they needed to evacuate quickly, (fire, hurricane, etc) and they really do have some of the absolute best security. They are watching everything and everyone. That sounds creepy to my husband, but it's incredibly reassuring to me, because I am an absolute worry wart.

i hope your trip is relaxing, and magical and healing for your family.

spending 4 nights at the Hard Rock Hotel Univerasal and 9 night in a 2 bedroom Beach Club Villa. Good choices?

Yes, good choices.

Everyone here has given good advice, except they are all focused on Disney. I would rather give this freedom over at Universal. Smaller parks, easier to find. Every single person entering the citywalk/themepark area has gone through a metal detector (I'm not sure if Disney is still being iffy about *every single person* or not).

As long as you are comfy with ALL the rides they could go on, or you trust them to stay off of certain rides if you're not comfy with it, I'd say let them have fun there, instead of the gigantic WDW parks.

We love Hard Rock. It's really awesome. It's our favorite Universal hotel. As for the freedom question, that's hard. My son is 11, and he's definitely too young to roam most of the parks by himself. However, I am going to let him go around Volcano Bay at Universal opening weekend by himself some:sad2: It wasn't my first choice, but I messed up on getting Express Pass and could really only get it for him. I am thinking he will have to report back to our lounger after every ride. It's just going to be the two of us this trip. He won't have a phone, since I don't trust it at the waterpark. I do remember being given free reign at local water parks and even smaller amusement parks, like Silver Dollar City, when I was his age. However, I think I was more mature:rolleyes: I am not sure about free reign in an entire park, but maybe having them go do a couple of rides and meet back at a specific time/place. It's so hard to make these decisions sometimes.

Sorry you had to go through just a horrific experience. I understand that you aren't posting looking for sympathy, but my heart still goes out to you. I hope you have an excellent trip without any issues.

For what it's worth, I was left to be by myself in the parks at 13/14. I was fine. As an older person now, I'd still say the same.
If there's any place in the world where it's safe to leave your kids to have some freedom, it's Disney/Universal.
You're in a safe bubble, but they're also old enough to be responsible should anything go down (within reason I guess. Not knowing your kids and all).

They'll be fine :)

My dh and I have 2-13 year olds and an 8 year old. This year, I made adr's at Ohana's for only 3 of us because the 2, 13 year olds don't like it and I don't want to spend an extra $100 for them to eat there. lol We will all go to the Poly that night but while my dh and 8 year old and I eat at Ohana's, I am going to let the other 2 get on the monorail and go to the Contemporary for a quick service dinner and then come back to the Poly. I think it will be good for them to go and be independent and enjoy a dinner alone. They both have cell phones and I am perfectly fine with it and trust them. There are plenty of people/CM's around and I will keep in touch with them via cell phone. I think Disney is a great place for kids to have a little independence.

Last edited:
We live day by day now and it gets better but we all trigger differently. Someone told me the other day that there is a group of people who say the FLL shooting was a hoax. That actually made me laugh. The thought that 20,000 people at FLL that day and 58 of us at luggage carousel 3 were all in on the "hoax". I saw Santiagos eyes. Those were the cold dead eyes of a shark and I know sharks very very well

It gets better, I promise. Someone always thinks acts of terror are a hoax or a conspiracy. You learn to control the anger and just laugh at them. Take care of you and yours.

Make sure the boys know they can go to a CM if they need help. Even if you are only a phone call away, sometimes you need a human right then. I'm just thinking if they went on a ride and something triggered a panic attack. But that's just a what if situation.

I think letting them have some freedom within the same park as you will work out fine.

First off, praying for your and your family. And your community. What a crazy few months and I am sure there is a lot of healing to do, but so thankful you were protected!

I have a son who is now 17. Like any teenager he has his moments, but for the most part is a good, responsible, honest, kind child. He was around 13 when we first let him have freedom in the parks. We have a 10 year age gap between our first and second so it became almost necessary if there was something he wanted to do and the littles don't. We started small like some others suggested. We actually first started with freedom at the resort while our little one was napping. Then, we're going to do x,y, z so meet us here at this time when we'll likely be done. Charged cell phone in hand he set off. He did great each time and now he'll stay in the parks when we venture back to the resort with the kids or hop over to another park. As long as he communicates with us and keeps any ADR's or FastPass plans with the family we're all good!

Like others have said, you know your kids an as long as all the parents are good with it with ground rules I think they are old enough!

WoW...Real sorry about the ordeal that your family has gone through & is still healing from.

Both resorts seem like winners to me.
and in terms of letting them roam, I'm the worry wart, but I know eventually my twin 13 year olds are going to need some space, so I'd say Yes but with small doses , ( Like everyone else stated ) I didn't read the 2nd page & not sure if someone mentioned this already but there are apps, that you can get or d/l's to keep track of where they are in the parks ( on your personal phone ) That might take a load of your mind :confused3.

Have a wonderful trip.. Here's some--->pixiedust: and a lil :littleangel: for ya...

So sorry for everything you and your family has had to go through.

Great hotel choices. We are DVC members and the Beach Club is the best. The pool is amazing and it has such a great atmosphere.

One suggestion:
When each of our kids turned 13 we let them bring a friend with them for a week. One thing we always made sure to have was a notorized paper from their parents giving us permission to treat their child in case they get sick along with a copy of the insurance card.

I agree with others. Based on what you say about them they would be fine. We let ours go off starting in the same park. After a day or so we were still in the room and they would make the walk to Epcot or Studios and spend some time there before we went. By the end of the week if things went well they were spending part of the day in a park of their choosing.

Hope that helps a bit.

And be specific on where to meet, telling them let's meet at the Castle or space ship earth is too vague. And can be frustrating when you can't find each other. We would try to meet where we parted.

Kae

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter