We Defected to the West! DLR 2013

I'm here, so excited you've started your DLR trip report! :cool1:

Awesome that you were staying at Paradise Pier, completing the trifecta!

Wow I had no idea that you could only get 5 day tickets, not cool!

:welcome: So glad you found us!

I'm still not over the 5 day ticket thing. :lmao: For a while last year they were letting people add a 6th day but even that hasn't happened in some time. Lots of people opt to upgrade to an AP, but that's an additional $200 per ticket. I did think about just planning on going back in November this year and using the AP, but our lives are just so crazy that I really didn't want to commit that far our. Now that we are seriously considering November, I sure wish I had!

Wednesday December 4, 2013: Departure Day

New Fantasyland opened at WDW in time for us to see it in 2012. The Mine Coaster had no hope of being open in time for our 2013 trip. With Fastpass Plus implementation looming, 2013 seemed like a great time to duck out and head west.

Planning for a DLR trip is certainly a different creature from planning for a WDW trip. I have to admit I enjoy the planning as much as I enjoy the trip itself. It's my way of keeping the Disney magic alive all year long between trips. At WDW the planning starts prior to the 6 month mark, getting ready to plan park days and ADRs. At DLR you can't book anything but a room more than 60 days out. But I also found that does have some benefit in terms of keeping options open until the latest possible date. I made our dining reservations at 60 days out, then our Holiday Tour and Fantasmic reservations at 30 days out.

Our flight was at 8 AM, so we left the house around 5:30 AM. Our first stop at the airport was for breakfast. I tend to eat a lot on travel days, since we never really know when our next chance will be. Katie's day got off to a good start with a stop here:

I'm not a coffee drinker. And I'm a cheapskate. So we have never been to starbucks. Katie always asks, I suppose because it's popular with some of her friends. But my answer is always "If you want a Starbucks habit, you need a job first." Well, we were on vacation, and I like to leave the life lessons at home, so I gave her money to get something. The irony is that she doesn't drink coffee either, so she got some sort of hot chocolate.

She does look tired. Maybe given the early hour she should have tried some coffee???

Here's the sight we were waiting for!

We flew into John Wayne Airport with a plane change in Las Vegas. I was really looking forward to flying over the Rockies for the first time, but was really disappointed that I never really saw them. I'm not sure if I missed them or what. I did enjoy following the plane's progress on the in-flight wireless. As we got closer to Las Vegas, the scenery got more mountainous and interesting.

I could tell it was dry and rocky, then I noticed a huge lake of blue water. I knew right away that had to be Lake Mead. I actually had just finished watching "Aerial America: Nevada" that morning when I couldn't sleep and had seen a similar view.

The show described the "bathtub ring" that had recently formed around the lake because of the receding water level. I also figured if Lake Mead was there, the Hoover Dam had to be close by. Eventually I located the new suspension bridge near the dam, and then the dam itself. It was fun to pick things out from the air.

Our flight was actually about 10 minutes behind schedule, which stressed me out a bit given our tight connection, especially once I found out we had to get to another terminal. We took a second for Katie to pose for a photo in front of a slot machine and we headed to our gate. They were loading our plane when we got there. It was cool to see the Las Vegas strip from the air as we took off. I had no idea the airport ran right up against it that way.

Goodbye Lake Mead!

The day really went pretty smoothly. It was sort of a pain getting down to the shuttle loading area, but once we got there it was smooth sailing. I was glad I had made online reservations, as they seemed to be looking for us before leaving with the van. (We used Super Shuttle).

The most interesting sight of the day was driving down Harbor Boulevard when I caught a glimpse of the back of the rockwork in Carsland. Hollywood image making at its finest! I actually wish I had snapped a photo of that. What an imposing sight it was!

Thankfully our room was ready when we checked in. We dropped our things off and quickly headed out for our primary destination...... Downtown Disney and Earl of Sandwich! I ordered the holiday sandwich and Katie of course ordered her favorite Italian sandwich.

I really wasn't sure what to expect of the holiday sandwich but really enjoyed it. After lunch we headed back to the room to rest up. I was more than ready for a nap. Katie? Not so much. She hung out on her phone while I napped.

I woke up to her taking photos of the sunset out our window.

I had heard some sounds in the midst of my slumber, and I found out she had been playing volleyball with her beach ball pillow. It felt awesome to have had a little rest. I'm not sure I could have gone out to dinner without it.

Ah yes, I know all about that age and Starbucks! My DD will be 13 in May and loves Carmel Lattes/Frappes. But it is just an occasional treat for sure! I am not a coffee drinker either so not sure where she gets it, probably makes her feel more grown up!! :flower3:

Sounds like a great first day so far! :goodvibes

I absolutely love those pillows!! What fun :)

How far of walk was it to DTD from the hotel if I might ask?

Ah yes, I know all about that age and Starbucks! My DD will be 13 in May and loves Carmel Lattes/Frappes. But it is just an occasional treat for sure! I am not a coffee drinker either so not sure where she gets it, probably makes her feel more grown up!! :flower3:

Sounds like a great first day so far! :goodvibes

I think you're right. I think it's about them wanting to feel all grown up.

I absolutely love those pillows!! What fun :)

How far of walk was it to DTD from the hotel if I might ask?

I know! Weren't those the best pillows? It's probably good they were so big a bulky. So people wouldn't be tempted to throw one in their suitcase! :rotfl2:

following along!! I love reading trip reports and seeing pictures

:welcome: lulu! Looks like you have a trip of your own coming up! :cheer2: So glad you like pictures. You'll find a *few* here! :rotfl:

Guess what oh logical friend, we are defecting out West this summer too. DH doesnt want to deal with the FP+ nonsense in the summer.

I need tips for Carland since that was not there when we went last time. So PM me when you get a chance.

But I cant wait to see pictures and read along here!

Guess what oh logical friend, we are defecting out West this summer too. DH doesnt want to deal with the FP+ nonsense in the summer.

I need tips for Carland since that was not there when we went last time. So PM me when you get a chance.

But I cant wait to see pictures and read along here!

Greetings oh fellow FP+ refugee! :rotfl: So glad you found us here. When is the last time you were at DLR? This was our first trip since 2010. So much had changed!

Greetings oh fellow FP+ refugee! :rotfl: So glad you found us here. When is the last time you were at DLR? This was our first trip since 2010. So much had changed!

2011, we stayed at the PVI. This time we have one night offsite, and then move to GCV.

Great start! I wish I could've seen our our window to see if I could place a few landmarks.
I am not a coffee drinker either, but I do like some sort of strawberry frappe thing at starbucks. Of course it costs like $5 and is about 5 zillion calories.
When Paige was in the hospital they had a starbucks in the lobby and that was my treat to myself.
So happy you arrived! and got that nap!!!

Joining in. Luvin all your plane pics. Can't wait to read the rest of the report. Going to DLR for the first time in November can't wait! :goodvibes

Ok so I got to know...how did you like flying into the John Wayne Airport? We always fly LAX for the non stop flight. How long did it take to get to the resort. Any strengths or opportunities for this airport over LAX?

2011, we stayed at the PVI. This time we have one night offsite, and then move to GCV.

We've done that before, where we stay somewhere less expensive on arrival night then move onsite. You're going to love the GCV. We were at GC on our 2010 trip and I couldn't believe how awesome it was to ride Grizzly River Run then be back in the room 5 minutes later to change. :lovestruc

Great start! I wish I could've seen our our window to see if I could place a few landmarks.
I am not a coffee drinker either, but I do like some sort of strawberry frappe thing at starbucks. Of course it costs like $5 and is about 5 zillion calories.
When Paige was in the hospital they had a starbucks in the lobby and that was my treat to myself.
So happy you arrived! and got that nap!!!

Katie can handle the calories. I prefer to "spend" my frivolous calories on other things. :p Of course, if I had been a captive audience at a hospital, I probably would have caved.

I was so happy to get a nap that afternoon. I was dragging in a huge way and really wanted to enjoy our dinner at Goofy's Kitchen that night. I still can't believe you got through your first day with no sleep. I bow to your greatness! :worship:

Joining in. Luvin all your plane pics. Can't wait to read the erst of the report. Going to DLR for the first time in November can't wait! :goodvibes

:welcome: So glad you found us! You're in for such a treat in November. Which part of November will you be there? We're still back and forth on Novermber vs. December.

Ok so I got to know...how did you like flying into the John Wayne Airport? We always fly LAX for the non stop flight. How long did it take to get to the resort. Any strengths or opportunities for this airport over LAX?

I was back and forth so many times on this. I really wanted a non-stop flight but liked the idea of flying into SNA so we wouldn't get caught in traffic to or from the airport. So I went for the non-stop. But I kept second guessing myself. Initially the non-stops into LAX were more expensive, so I went with SNA. Eventually the prices came down, but I never got around to rebooking.

Really, I was fine with the indirect flight. I really did enjoy landing at Las Vegas and seeing Lake Mead and the Hoover Dam. I'm just weird about that sort of thing. I love seeing big rocks and scenery. So much that I'd probably consider it again next time.

I think the drive from the airport was around 20 minutes. And I loved that we could get a flat rate voucher to taxi back to the airport on departure day for $35. It really made departure day pretty hassle free.

I will follow along as it has now been too long since my December trip and I don't have another planned!

My kids also loved the beach-ball pillows in the PPH. I thought it was a fun hotel in a great location. The cool pools at the other two onsite hotels lose some luster when it's super-cold outside like it was that week!

PHXscuba

Joining in since I really enjoyed reading your last TR! I'm so excited to hear about your trip to the Land.

We're going the 17th of November for ten days with 5 disney days :)

Following along! I was just admiring your beautiful dresses & photos on an earlier TR so I'm happy to have caught this one from the beginning. :goodvibes

Starbucks and teens... I don't know!

I don't drink coffee, but I've started sometimes making my hot chocolate 3/4 hot chocolate and 1/4 coffee, just to add a little pep if I need it. Otherwise I stick to pop/cola!

I love Earl of Sandwich! There is just something that screams Disney to me. Probably because I only get to eat it at WDW or DL. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter