We had Poly booked but rescheduled to OKW - any tips for the resort.

kniquy

DIS Veteran
So we decided to push off our July Poly trip to November and with us having DVC there were limited options so we are now at OKW. It has actually been one of the resorts we have wanted to try. My biggest concern is the size of the resort. We don't have a hospitality house room so who knows where we will be placed. So a few questions:

Any good room request I should make?
Any tips for getting around easier - use the internal bus system or do you just hop on the resort buses?
Anything else I should know?

We do want to make a stop at Olivia's as i hear it is great so knowing how long it takes to get there if we are in a distant room would be helpful.

If your villa isn't close to the HH, just hop any theme park bus since they usually stop last at the HH. If the bus is crowded, you may need to remind the bus driver that you need to get off at the HH. Then to go back to your area, walk over to the Peninsular Rd bus stop (just across the bridge from the HH) and grab the first bus to get back to your area. If you are at Millers Road, it might just be easier to walk back to your villa. It's really not that far.

Your longest walk is probably about ten minutes. If you want to be in a villa close to the HH, just request Peninsular Road.

The only request I ever make is a high floor. We were on the first floor once and could hear chairs dragging, people walking heavy-footed, etc. We've stayed at OKW many times and have always been happy with our locations. It is a big resort, and it's nice when you can walk to the main pool and HH, but really all of the locations are nice.

A side note...if you decide to get a Minnie Van, the driver will pick you up at your building. You do not have to get to the HH to catch one!

The only request I ever make is a high floor. We were on the first floor once and could hear chairs dragging, people walking heavy-footed, etc. We've stayed at OKW many times and have always been happy with our locations. It is a big resort, and it's nice when you can walk to the main pool and HH, but really all of the locations are nice.

A side note...if you decide to get a Minnie Van, the driver will pick you up at your building. You do not have to get to the HH to catch one!
But most of the buildings do not have elevators. The three with elevators are usually held for medical needs.

WE love Turtle Pond area. It's a lovely pool and has a snack bar/food area and you can refill mugs. There's a shuffleboard court there too. We also like South Pointe for privacy. That is a basic quiet pool.

In my opinion, taking the bus at OKW is no more time than walking the hallways at Boardwalk then walking to the bus depot there. OKW is much smaller than Saratoga Springs and the rooms are so much bigger and beautiful.

OKW has a great main pool area, it's worth the effort. Plus use the Community Hall for games, crafts, DVDs. activities etc.

If you have a studio, try to get as far from a bus stop at possible, this was the loudest room we ever had at Disney! We have stayed here in a two bedroom and did not have the noise problem because you have multiply doors between you and the outside, in a studio, there is only the one door and then the room no cushion to buffer that bus noise! It we loved the turtle pond area!

If you have a studio, try to get as far from a bus stop at possible, this was the loudest room we ever had at Disney! We have stayed here in a two bedroom and did not have the noise problem because you have multiply doors between you and the outside, in a studio, there is only the one door and then the room no cushion to buffer that bus noise! It we loved the turtle pond area!
Also any studio (or even one bedroom) close to a stop sign where the buses have to stop. Squealing brakes can be annoying.

We always request the Millers road area. It's easy walking distance to the HH and it has it's own pool and bus stop. OKW definitely has a very different feel from any other DVC. Its extremely charming, cozy and quite. We have really loved all of our stays here and we've stayed at every DVC.

We request building 27, golf course view. This is very short walk to the first bus stop on the OKW loop - you will get on here, and travel thru the resort then to the hospitality house (HH) bus stop before heading out. However it is also a very reasonable walk to the HH, so if you see a bus go by you before you can get to the bus stop, you can simply walk over to the HH and get on that same bus when it stops there! But the best part is it is the FIRST stop when you return to OKW after a long day in the parks.

And PLEASE take the boat ride back and forth to Disney Springs. It is such a lovely ride, especially coming back at night!

We have stayed at HH and Turtle Pond. We preferred Turtle Pond. The quiet pool was awesome. Also seemed easier to get a washer and dyer there. Although that is only a factor if you are in a studio.

The only drawback to OKW in my opinion is the limited selection of QS food options. There is no indoor seating at Good's Food to Go. We always have a car so I will run out to somewhere on Apopka Vineland Road and pick up food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter