We have a neighbor or someone putting their trash in other families trash bins. Dealing with it.

I am also of the who cares school this seems too trivial to get excited over. As long as the trash is in the bin and no t overfilling it I really don’t see an issue

I care because I have principles and I don't respect freeloaders. Do unto your neighbors as you would have done unto you and all that jazz.

I think some people may not get that this is a neighborhood where you have to pay separately for your trash pickup. some places do that and I can see people being upset that someone is avoiding the charge by using the service that they paid for. Especially if that person is taking up the entire trash can or putting out illegal stuff that could get the can owner in trouble.

In our city, the trash is combined with the water bill. If you have water, you have trash pickup. I wouldn't care if a neighbor put some trash in with ours as long as they didn't fill the cans up to where I couldn't fit mine.

We pay for our garbage pick up and have different size cans available. We pay for the larger one for some reason - we only fill it during the holidays. DH typically puts the cans out the evening before. The morning of the pick up, he cleans out the fridge and takes out the last bit of trash to the can. He was NOT pleased a few weeks ago when he went to put that last bit in our bin only to find it full to the brim with the neighbor's crap. It happened two weeks in a row. The neighbor, who pays for the smallest trash can, is having work done on his house and using our cans to get rid of the excess trash. DH was NOT happy. I told him to go the neighbor and tell him to stop using our can. He can pay for the larger bin if he needs it, but DH decided it would be easier to just not the take cans out until the morning of the pick up.

We pay for our garbage pick up and have different size cans available. We pay for the larger one for some reason - we only fill it during the holidays. DH typically puts the cans out the evening before. The morning of the pick up, he cleans out the fridge and takes out the last bit of trash to the can. He was NOT pleased a few weeks ago when he went to put that last bit in our bin only to find it full to the brim with the neighbor's crap. It happened two weeks in a row. The neighbor, who pays for the smallest trash can, is having work done on his house and using our cans to get rid of the excess trash. DH was NOT happy. I told him to go the neighbor and tell him to stop using our can. He can pay for the larger bin if he needs it, but DH decided it would be easier to just not the take cans out until the morning of the pick up.

And all of the angst of that could be avoided with some communication. I would never put trash in someone's can without asking. Your neighbor should have asked and said that they temporarily needed to put out more trash due to the work being done and, rather than redo their contract, could they put some extra trash in your can. I'd have no issues with that.

Last month when I left for Disney, it was trash day. I had several bags and didn't want to put the can out because we wouldn't be able to get it put away and I didn't want to leave the bags on the lawn because animals will get into it pretty quickly and make a mess. I asked my neighbor if I could put trash in his can that morning. No issue.

Yes, I would consider this a valid issue!
I would also find a way to catch the person in the act.
Here, if somebody is illegally dumping their trash, old mailers, envelopes, etc that are found in the trash that have name and address are enough to get consequences.

This would not be okay with me.

And, yes, it IS theft of services.
It is not covered by county taxes.
That trash pickup doesn't come free. Each person pays for it... Either individually or with their monthly HOA fees.
It is the same as trying to hi-jack cable or any other utility or service.

I live in Maryland where it's just as you described and these threads also fascinate me.

Depends on where in Maryland. When we lived in Bowie, our municipal taxes covered trash services and I literally threw away a 10x12 shed (cut up) and later a six foot fence from the entire backyard. They took everything for no extra charge.

Now, I am on the Eastern Shore and we contract trash service individually. I pay $60 a quarter for one rolling bin and one 55 gallon trash can. If I go over, I risk them not taking it all and I have to haul my stinky garbage to the dump for a $3 dump ticket.

Ask me nicely and I will share under special circumstances (if I have room). Take space without asking and it falls under the Theft of Services law in Maryland Code.

Depends where you live. Remember in the U.S., states operate differently and that extends down into county and town municipalities.

When I lived in Maryland and lived in one particular county, part of my county property tax bill went to trash collection. The county handled all of it and we never had to contract out for it nor did our HOAs. I live in a county now in Virginia that does not include it. My friend lives 30 miles from me in an incorporated city in Virginia and his trash is covered by is local city taxes.
These threads are always fun..

We live in Allegany County in MD. Exactly one mile outside the city limit. In the city, trash pick up is included in property taxes. In the county, it's not. Seems weird to me, but since our taxes are about 1/2 of what they are in the city, I will live here and pay for my trash!

Used to live in MD where taxes covered trash and we got picked up twice a week. We provided our cans for trash and they provided big recycling can. And yard waste was picked up once a week and had to be in paper yard bags. Maybe recycling was once a week too....I forget.

Here in NC, we get recycling with taxes and it comes every other week. They provide a big wheeled can with flip lid. We have two options for trash and we pay. They come once a week and also provide big wheeled can with flip lid. Trash and recycling get picked up with a truck that has an arm come out and lift it up and over to dump it in truck. They say they won't take it is overfull with lid not closed flat. When we first moved in and I had tons of packing material to get rid of, the recycling can's lid was lifted a tad and darned if he didn't take it and I had to wait 2 more weeks to put it out and my recycling was piling up in my garage. Took me several months to get it all out thanks to that one skipped pick up and a second skipped pick up when the guy actually looked inside my can and left a note saying he wouldn't pick it up because there was stuff not allowed in it...like plastic bags and Styrofoam (things I had always put in my MD recycling). So if someone put some stuff in that causes the guy to skip me....OMG, I'd be ticked. It would have to sit in my garage for two weeks and I'd get double backed up.

Also, what if bag of neighbor's trash contains something bad (body parts or other criminal stuff)???? Eeek...that would be a nightmare if discovered.

Last edited:
Im also in Maryland, county/town/state DOESN'T pay for our trash removal - we do.
All depends on where you are around here -

We have a dumpster. Nobody can put anything in it without us noticing (it's behind the house). Typically if friends or customers ask to put stuff in we say yes, if there is room. Glad I live out in the sticks!

Meh life is far too short to waste energy sweating stuff like this
I'm really not understanding the replies like this one. Someone coming onto your personal property and using a service that you have paid for? That's exactly the sort of stuff worth sweating over. It's not the end of the world, sure, but someone is breaking the law here, at the OP's expense.

Every time I have even a passing thought about moving to town, I come to the Dis and read one of these threads. Just today, I have reasons 9982 and 9983 why to stay right there in my little corner of the woods. I do not know nor do I care what the people around me do with their trash or their dog poop. My can stays at the end of my driveway and we take the trash to it through the week. If somebody wants to hunt it down to put a bag in it, so be it.

We pay for pick up. So much for each can. And if there is extra, the county will come by and grab it.

I cannot imagine even considering putting cameras on my garbage cans!

Everyone pays for trash pickup here. The service is provided by the County.
It is perfectly legal to put trash in neighbor's bin here. Nobody thinks twice about it

Interestingly though, it is ILLEGAL to REMOVE something from a neighbor's trash can. The contents are considered the property of the County. This is to try and stop the theft of recyclable materials.

Interestingly though, it is ILLEGAL to REMOVE something from a neighbor's trash can. The contents are considered the property of the County. This is to try and stop the theft of recyclable materials.

I see those people in my neighborhood every week as well - yet another annoyance.

Never saw this as an issues until I read it on the DIS. I totally understand why you would be upset though. We have the big trash and fill it pretty much every week, so it is a non issue for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter