We made our ADRs...are they good?

thebs19

Mouseketeer
Hey all-

So I've mainly posted over on the resorts board as we went through the long and arduous process of deciding where to stay on our first family trip this May. And while we began "budget-conscious" and booked CBR, we ended up eventually deciding on the Beach Club and putting our 40% pin to good use. Happy to say that I've had 0 buyer's remorse since we made that switch, which I think is a good sign.

So anyway, we moved on to make our ADR's and used a combo of reviews from here, menu's, and vague childhood memories to make our choices (I haven't been in about 12 years, my wife more like 15+ years). Figured I'd look for direct feedback and see if we missed out on something or if we booked somewhere that will just be a disaster for us. Hope you guys can help!!

So, our party consists of me and my wife and our 3 yr old son. He's not the kind of kid that will sit through a long meal or be happy to just quietly color while we wait for food. So we had to be sure to keep him in mind with our choices, and tried to do a combo of not overly fancy, having something to pique his interests throughout the meal, but also fit me and my wife's desire to experience all that Disney dining has to offer. Without further ado:

Arrival on Thursday - we'll be at the BC by 11-12ish, figure itd be a good day to relax at SAB and not run around too much. So we booked a 430 arrival "dinner" at Coral Reef, figuring its a real quick walk over and, as our son LOVES aquariums/fish in general, this should be able to keep him interested in dinner as we enjoy our food. Any secret to getting a table near the tank?

Friday AM - Character breakfast at Chef Mickey's. We're planning on doing the day at Magic Kingdom, and I can't imagine theres a better way to start the first full day than introducing him to Mickey and friends. We got a ~10ish time, which is good because we're not ones to be running out the door at 7am.

Friday dinner - Kona Cafe - again, planning on being at MK all day, so taking a ride on the monorail to get to dinner should be fun. Originally wanted Ohana, but it was all booked. I've since read good things on Kona, but if someone has a better suggestion, we're up for it (a little worried that this may be a bit "plain", if you would, although the menu, specifically the Tuna Oscar, sounds awesome).

Saturday lunch - Rainforest Cafe - our plan is to spend the majority of this day at Animal Kingdom (or at least as long as he lasts) and then maybe make this a SAB/Boardwalk night afterwards and will do a quick dinner somewhere over there. Figuring he's gonna LOVE the animals and such, but a bit worried that the food is going to be bad (I don't mind mediocre food b/c I know I'm paying for the atmosphere here, but I don't want it to be a BAD meal, either).

Sunday dinner - Tutto - for our last dinner at the resort, we figured we'd make him "deal" (haha) and sit through a nice meal. We tried to get Le Cellier, but no dice (although I'm always checking), but since the wife loves Italian food, we figured this would be a great second choice. Not sure exactly where we'll be spending this day, but figure Epcot is going to be our most convenient get-to spot so its a good bet we'll be close to here.

We figure for most breakfasts/lunches, we'll do some combo of quick service and to-go foods (and really looking forward to some afternoon shakes at Beaches and Cream) so we're not worried about making any more ADRs than we have. But if anyone has any suggestions or thoughts on our choices, they'd be much appreciated. Specifically, any folks with experience with fidgety 3 yr olds and restaurants that have been able to "tame" them, would be MUCH appreciated!! Thanks.

Fidgety 3 year olds, are there any other kind? LOL!!! When DS5 was 3, we loved the character meals, and loud, lively QS restaurants (Pizza Planet, Cosmic Ray's, etc). Your meals sound great, and as long as you're happy, that's all that matters!!! The best advice I can give the parents of a 3 year old is to go with the flow of the day. Every child and their mom and dad melt down at some point, they get too hot, sleepy (and who wants to sleep at WDW). 1 thing we did that works for us. If we are at MK and need a little break, a quick, cool ride on the Monorail is a life saver. The kids can nap, or just relax. You can ride the Monorail as long as you like, and it can be a fun, relaxing little trip!

Fidgety 3 year olds, are there any other kind? LOL!!! When DS5 was 3, we loved the character meals, and loud, lively QS restaurants (Pizza Planet, Cosmic Ray's, etc). Your meals sound great, and as long as you're happy, that's all that matters!!! The best advice I can give the parents of a 3 year old is to go with the flow of the day. Every child and their mom and dad melt down at some point, they get too hot, sleepy (and who wants to sleep at WDW). 1 thing we did that works for us. If we are at MK and need a little break, a quick, cool ride on the Monorail is a life saver. The kids can nap, or just relax. You can ride the Monorail as long as you like, and it can be a fun, relaxing little trip!

Yeah those are exactly the kinds of places we're thinking for lunches (especially Pizza Planet - big Toy Story fans here). We're hoping we can get some decent meals for dinner out of the trip though which is why we are venturing into table service for those (with fingers crossed).

DEFINITELY planning on riding the monorail. He's a big "train" kid (with tons of wooden tracks, Thomas figures, train table, etc) so I think he'll love that. Also definitely planning on mid-day returns to the Beach Club to relax in the pool or in the sand, too. Hopefully that will keep him refreshed!

If your child is a big train fan, go toward the front car of the Monorail. Usually the conductor will take a child and parent and let them be the "guest" conductor. DS5 loved riding in the front of the Monorail with DW last year. The conductor gave him Monorail stickers and made it a really special event for him!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter