• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We Tested Positive For Covid at the Port and Here's What Happened

Thanks for responding OP. Wow, indeed a crazy “ adventure” for your family. Glad to hear ur all doing well. Here’s to Better Times Ahead for your family.

I'm a glass half full person and honestly the whole experience taught my kids a great lesson on dealing with disappointment and being kind and sympathetic with one another. Of course they've already dealt with a lot of disappointment with Covid, but it's good to remind them that our bad days are better then some peoples good days.

We rented a house with a heated pool and the weather in FL was gorgeous this week. We've spent quite a bit of quality time away from home with each other and without distraction and honestly we've still had a nice time and good 'ol family bonding ❤

Thank you so much for sharing. A lot of us have wanted to get more details about what it's like if you test positive. Your posts have been very helpful, as well. I know now that I will definitely only bring a carry-on bag and keep it with me the whole time. If I have to debate with someone to keep it with me, so be it- I won't just passively let them take it because their default is to try to take it. Testing positive would be bad enough without being stuck in a trailer for several hours waiting for them to find my bag.

I'm a glass half full person and honestly the whole experience taught my kids a great lesson on dealing with disappointment and being kind and sympathetic with one another. Of course they've already dealt with a lot of disappointment with Covid, but it's good to remind them that our bad days are better then some peoples good days.

We rented a house with a heated pool and the weather in FL was gorgeous this week. We've spent quite a bit of quality time away from home with each other and without distraction and honestly we've still had a nice time and good 'ol family bonding ❤
You have such a wonderful outlook on this! I know you catch more flies with honey than vinegar but I don't think I could handle it with such grace (not that that would get me anywhere, being rude I mean). I'm glad you've been able to make the best of a less than ideal situation and I hope your family continues to stay healthy.

AWESOME, to hear!!!!

Thank you for sharing this, and I'm sorry you went thru this ordeal.
I'll echo what others have said: you're a great person for dealing with this with grace and optimism.

I have to say: I love DCL with a passion, but the way they treated you and others like you is utterly shameful.
It broke my heart reading that your kid was crying after you were denied boarding, and I dread the thought of this happening to us.. my DD would be as devastated if not more than your kid.

They should stop with this insane policy of testing at the port and start accepting tests done 24 hours before boarding.
Just accept tests before going to the port. That way the blow is easier to take at home or the hotel and easier to arrange logistics to get back home.

Ok. Taking notes:

Pack snacks.
I’ve already been preparing the kids for the possibility of a sad and long road trip home.
I’ve already told my kids they are not to speak to their cousins (traveling separately) until all are onboard so one family’s misfortune does not impact the other family.
asked not to drop off our luggage until after we tested. They pushed back a little, but agreed.
Ask to hold onto luggage. How did you turn in your luggage latter?

Sorry to hear about your experience OP. They should have a much better system in place for helping people out. I really like the idea of holding onto your luggage until you test negative. You would think the cruise lines would find a way to make that work so that those being denied boarding can at least leave quickly.

Here's our story, for some related info:

We arrived at port canaveral in 2 cars (my immediate family in one car, 4 other family members in another), and asked not to drop off our luggage until after we tested. They pushed back a little, but agreed.

My immediate family was split between two staterooms, with 2 other family members in the other car joining one room. One of those two people tested positive at the port. We thought we'd all be denied boarding, but because we traveled separately, my immediate family was allowed to board. The physician was instrumental in making it happen, they did something in their system to clear the other 2 people once they learned we traveled separately. (FWIW, it did increase the cost of our cruise- we were originally responsible for half a four-person room, then became responsible for an entire 2-person room).

It was sad for them (and for us because we'd been looking forward to all going), but the refund process was quick and they could leave right away because they hadn't dropped off luggage.

This is the part that doesn't make much sense to me. In your case, the guests who arrived in the car with the person who tested positive were denied boarding. In OP's case, they arrived in a DCL bus that was completely full and only families on that bus who had a person within their family test positive were turned away although everyone on that bus was in contact with OP's son (and possibly others who tested positive). It just doesn't seem like a consistent policy - I mean, are you more apt to catch covid by traveling in a car with someone who is positive than traveling on a packed bus with them?

OP, thank you for sharing your story - definitely a lot of good info for those of us planning on cruising while these policies are in place. I, for one, will not give DCL my luggage and I will make sure to have a big breakfast or bring snacks along with me to the port.

This is the part that doesn't make much sense to me. In your case, the guests who arrived in the car with the person who tested positive were denied boarding. In OP's case, they arrived in a DCL bus that was completely full and only families on that bus who had a person within their family test positive were turned away although everyone on that bus was in contact with OP's son (and possibly others who tested positive). It just doesn't seem like a consistent policy - I mean, are you more apt to catch covid by traveling in a car with someone who is positive than traveling on a packed bus with them?

OP, thank you for sharing your story - definitely a lot of good info for those of us planning on cruising while these policies are in place. I, for one, will not give DCL my luggage and I will make sure to have a big breakfast or bring snacks along with me to the port.

In a car, I doubt people were wearing masks. It's required on the bus.

I understand why they test at the port, given how pervasive this variant is testing at the port is what gives the highest probability of preventing a case from boarding.

4 hours in a sterile room waiting for your luggage with no help making alternative plans though is unacceptable, and about as "un-Disney" as it gets. I would've been livid if I were you.

So sorry you had to deal with that. Thanks for sharing.

I'm writing this to give information to all of you considering cruising DCL during pandemic times. We had a cruise booked Jan 2-8th. We had two connecting staterooms and are a family of 5. All of us are vaccinated and had no symptoms. We used Disney transfers and boarded a bus to the port at approx 9am. The bus was full. We arrived at port at 10ish and were led to a testing site where we each tested then were assigned a tent to wait for results.

We bought insurance through the Disney Cruise Line which was closed on Sundays. I called the next day and while I haven't filled out the report seems likely our rental car and lodging won't be covered since it wasn't an official Trip interruption if we never boarded the cruise and we're being told only the cruise fare itself us eligible for trip Cancellation coverage. Note: I would not buy Disney trip insurance...look elsewhere.

Push back to the DCL insurance company and seek clarification. Make sure they understand that you took the DCL transfer bus to the port - clarify whether the bus counts as your "first scheduled travel arrangement" per the below, since it is a transportation service arranged by DCL for your trip.

According to the policy,

“Travel Arrangement(s)” means: (a) transportation; (b) accommodations; and (c) other specified services arranged by
Your Travel Supplier for Your Trip.

“Travel Supplier” means Disney Cruise Line

When Coverage Begins:
Trip Cancellation: Coverage begins at 12:01 a.m. at Your location on the day the required payment for this plan to cover
Your Trip is received by Disney Cruise Line.
Trip Interruption and Trip Delay: Coverage begins when You depart on Your first scheduled Travel Arrangement (or if You
must use an alternate travel arrangement after Your Scheduled Departure Date to reach Your Trip destination, on the Scheduled
Departure Date) for Your Trip.
All Other Coverages: Coverage begins at 12:01 AM on the date when You depart on the first Travel Arrangement (or alternate
travel arrangement if You must use an alternate Travel Arrangement to reach Your Trip destination) for Your Trip

That totally sucks and I would’ve been like your 11-year-old and crying the whole afternoon. Concerning looking at private insurance just make sure you really read the fine lines. I’m looking at getting one for our next trip and many even offer “Covid” coverage that pays for quarantine. The irony is though they the state in the fine print that if you travel anywhere where high risk as an official state / health department warning it’s no longer applicable.

No one mentioned a retest and we didn't ask but I assume no. It is a PCR test so likely fairly accurate.
I know nothing about tests, but I thought a PCR test took awhile to get results.

Have you written /call disney? You being forgotten is terrible. I understand the reason disney would say a person can't go on the ship, but they should have a kit ready to go while you wait. Even just coloring books, stickers, snack bag (with shelf stable stuff). A better move would be a boxed lunch, mickey toy, etc. I mean they have a ship that's ready to feed people. How hard would it be to put a few sandwiches on a tray with some cans of soda?

…… and yet DCL is so aggressive at literally demanding that all test negative at the port yet their Covid protocols if one tests positive just imo reeks of hypocrisy.
Per se, they shuttle van known Covid positive people back to MCO, yet they were /are still allowing people to disembark at ports (for shore excursions) thus increasing Covid positiveness whiie onboard , they literally treat you with indifference at the port should you test positive yet they promote themselves as imo better than NCL in regards to this topic , yet they have onboard age ineligible minors for the vaccine , yet their industry tries so hard to promote themselves as a safe environment etc….
I see that they are unfortunately no better than any other cruise company yet we as a society all stand around wondering why this topic won’t go away .
In short, imo we as a society have no one to blame but ourselves when we race off to MCO ……after being denied entry onboard DCL due to being Covid positive or exposed to someone (in your party) who is Covid positive ……..to either fly back home or to rent a car etc .
Yea, I too have a DCL /WDW upcoming trip planned but after seeing all this …….
with thousands of dollars tied up in my adventure…. is making me think twice vs spending my birthday closer to home and not having to test negative to me sounds more appealing and less stressful .
Good luck to all sincerely and thank you for allowing me to respond to this thread .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter