We want Riviera, but can’t pull the trigger.

we actually don't know that yet. Once Riviera opens and if the skyliner is everything Disney hopes it will be, the Riviera could become the Grand Floridian of Epcot/DHS area. It could supplant both BCV and BWV -- and if that is the case, THOSE property values could plummet and Riviera resale will maintain good value. Look at VGC -- I guarantee you that most people buying that on the resale market have practically zero intention of using those points anywhere but VGC. Riviera could be the same.

We're using our VGC points at Aulani next year (or we're going to try to anyway). Good news for anyone trying to get into VGC for the June 2020 UY, lol.

But VGC resale buyers could use them elsewhere if they ever wanted or needed to. That's the difference.
I understand that. I just don’t think it is as dire as everyone makes it out to be. As long as you don’t have a ton of points, using them solely at riviera isn’t that big of a deal...especially if it isn’t your only contract.

Don’t get me wrong—-I would greatly prefer Disney reverses their stance on this as I don’t think it’s a good policy overall.

I just don’t think the devaluing is as exaggerated as everyone makes it out to be. Worst case scenario if you want to stay somewhere else, you can always rent out your Riviera points and either rent or transfer in points somewhere else.

Walking will always be more desirable than any means of transportation that could fail. I have high hopes for the skyliner but it's not going to beat walking through the IG.

Skyliner + Thunderstorms = Buses!

Skyliner + 98 degrees & 98% humidity + people + LITTLE window = MISERY.

I notice they’re opening END of September. Interesting timing.

Walk to Epcot/DHS = PRICELESS

I too have been researching addons, but can't pull the trigger on RIV due to the restrictions. If there were not the resale restrictions I think I would do it in a hot second, but I think it is too big of a gamble that it would have no resale value should something happen in life.

I wanted more points. Have said I cannot take the bath on Riviera as some day I may sell. After consideration went for my fourth SSR resale.

We fell in love with the Riviera rooms when we took the tour, and have a severe case of addonitis. But we just can’t get ourselves to do it right now, even though we could pay cash for direct points. The resale restrictions have us spooked, and I’ve seen rumors posted about better incentives or the restrictions being changed. *sigh* We will sit tight for now and be responsible adults. Adulting is hard.
This just made me change my mind about Riviera

The resale restrictions don’t bother me, the high point charts do. However, I am still thinking about eventually adding a small Riviera contract so we have an Epcot resort. I do want to stay there first before I make any decisions.

Also, I don’t hate CBR like many people do, but I’m not sure overlooking it is worth a premium.

Are the two resorts practically adjacent? It has me thinking...

The Riviera is to the Caribbean Beach Resort what the Gran Destino is to Coronado Springs.

Am I Wrong?

We decided to buy direct at Riviera for a couple of reasons.

First, we liked the full 50 year contract as we are fairly young and our intentions are to eventually pass the contract onto our kids some day (provided they want the contract). If we went with another resort, it would have needed to be one of the later expiring contracts (BLT, GF, POLY, or AKL). We aren't huge fans of the GF so that was eliminated and the lack of room categories at POLY made it difficult to choose that resort. BLT is good but since we wanted to go direct (see below for reasoning), the price just didn't make sense. We absolutely love AKL but 13 less years was the deal breaker.

Secondly, we wanted to go direct so really our best options were CCV or RIV (although we did consider AKL direct). A big part of the decision was being able to use future resorts. I know that obviously future resorts are no guarantee but I know we wouldn't be happy missing out on future stays at newer resorts. We also have seen immediate major savings from DVC perks. As a non-Florida resident, access to AP Gold will save us significant money as we tend to do multiple trips within one year. The additional discounts on food and merchandise help too but certainly not as significant as gold AP access. I'm fully aware that perks can come and go but for the time being we are really seeing some significant savings.

Finally, we really love the European design of the resort and the access to EP/HS and the boardwalk area. We have toured numerous DVC rooms and were really impressed by Riviera. While the resale restrictions are a concern, we know the longer we hold the contract the lower the impact will be if we need to sell. I'm not totally convinced Disney will stick with the restrictions as the impact will become amplified as additional resorts come on stream.

The resale restrictions don’t bother me, the high point charts do. However, I am still thinking about eventually adding a small Riviera contract so we have an Epcot resort. I do want to stay there first before I make any decisions.

Also, I don’t hate CBR like many people do, but I’m not sure overlooking it is worth a premium.

The Riviera is to the Caribbean Beach Resort what the Gran Destino is to Coronado Springs.

Am I Wrong?

Not quite that close, but similar. More like all-star to all-star if one of them had a tower.

Am I Wrong?

They took down a CBR section to build Riviera. I don't know if that leaves it as close as Gran Destino to CS but part of it is in a location that once had CBR buildings.

Why does it matter if there is a moderate next to
RIV?

I have wondered that as well. While sure I would like it better if it was on the Boardwalk but having CBR right there does give additional options to eat and walk around. I like some of the food options at CBR and theming not bad as long as they keep it pretty.

If Disney did decide at some point to remove the resale restrictions from Riviera, how would that affect the contracts that have already been sold? Like people keep saying that Disney has written the new restrictions directly into the Riviera contracts, so would those that have already purchased not get the restriction removed also? I realize this is hypothetical, but just curious because I’m also considering buying direct points there.

If Disney did decide at some point to remove the resale restrictions from Riviera, how would that affect the contracts that have already been sold? Like people keep saying that Disney has written the new restrictions directly into the Riviera contracts, so would those that have already purchased not get the restriction removed also? I realize this is hypothetical, but just curious because I’m also considering buying direct points there.
Personally, I wouldn’t expend too much energy wondering about this. Despite anecdotal stories to the contrary, OC comptroller numbers tell a different story. The resort is selling just fine. Barring larger macroeconomic factors, the resort will continue the march towards selling out just like every resort that came before it.

If Disney can stomach the delta between how Riviera is selling vs what Disney may have projected/hoped, this resort and subsequent resorts will continue to sell out, these Disney-friendly resale restrictions will become the norm, and Disney will be rewarded handsomely with a system wherein they are the sole entity making money on their timeshare. As a bonus, long time owners will be cast as old timers singing a chorus of “Back in my day...” to the rolling eyes of owners who have never known otherwise.

Buy where you want to stay.

Yesterday afternoon I got a phone call from DVC wanting to know if I wanted more information and a point chart for RIV sent to me. This may be normal selling to current members or maybe they are bored and trying to sell RIV. I guess it's also possible that it isn't selling well and they are trying different tactics.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter