Wearing jewelry through airport security

My teen DD is traveling alone soon for the first time. She wants to wear her usual jewelry, but her dad and I want her to just leave it at home. If nothing else, I'm not even convinced she can get through airport security without getting distracted and taking her eyes off some of her possessions.

I've read that you can usually make it through screening with rings on, but she has a James Avery charm bracelet with probably 9 charms, which is fairly heavy. And we've warned her that if it gets "lost" it will not be replaced.

I never travel with anything but costume jewelry and I take it off when I go through airport security, so can those of you who have tried to make it through with jewelry on please advise how that went? Especially the heavier bracelets? Thanks.

In the end, we will probably just ground the bracelet.

I only wear rings, sometimes a bracelet, and earrings, and I never take it off when I go thru security, and haven't ever had a problem.

If TSA wants her take off her jewelry, she can just put it in her purse or bag.

I remove all my jewelry before getting into the security line by placing it in my travel purse. I'd encourage your daughter to do the same rather than run the risk of triggering a secondary search or holding up the line.

I take off my earrings, band and watch and just put them in my purse outside pocket. I do it while I'm standing the line waiting, way before I get to the front (I also go ahead and take my shoes off then too unless I'm wearing sandals that can be slipped off easily). I wear 14K gold earrings and my band is 10K but I just go ahead and take them off anyway. Makes life easier. After I go through security I just go to the little bench and put them back on or wait until I'm at the boarding area.

Meh. I don't see a big deal here. I wear my eyeglasses, wedding rings, earrings, and a watch with a thick metal band. Never take them off to go thru the metal detectors. Whether or not I set off the alarm usually depends on the sensitivity setting of the machine. If it does, I get a quick wanding and away I go. I now have a knee replacement that ALWAYS sets off the alarm (I warn the agent in advance). So even less reason to worry about my jewellery.

If you're that worried about it, just have her put her jewellery in her carry on bag before leaving for the airport. She can put it on while she's waiting at the gate.

My stud earrings and a metal retainer permanently in my mouth as well as my Pandora bracelet didn't set it off however the TSA agent was completely baffled by the ankle brace I was wearing. I ended up having to take it off so she could look at it.

We went through TSA Precheck a few weeks ago. You walk through a metal detector not a scanner. The TSA agent was telling everyone in line to take off belts, bracelets, etc (kind of like the old days).The lady in front of us was taken by surprise and trying to get off her bracelets in a quick manner and a bit flustered. Not sure if anyone took off rings and such.

I have a little Vera Bradley ID holder (small zippered pouch). I put my jewelry in it before I leave to go to the airport, and put it in a spot where I can easily get to it in my carry on bag. Once I'm through security, I put my ring and bracelet on. Then I don't have to worry about forgetting it or setting off alarms.

Always have to remove my Cape Cod bracelet, I was even warned about it when I purchased it. It is a pain to take off/on so I just keep it in my purse, and put it back on while waiting to board.

I've never had to take off any jewelry that I was wearing, even my alex and any they just wanded over last time I went and once they saw it I was fine. I usually always wear earrings, a necklace, my glasses, and a ring or two.

I decided to take the easy way out and never picked up he James Avery bracelet from the store, where we were having some charms added. I'll get it while she's on her trip. I thought that would avoid the problem, but she did an end run around me. On the way to the airport, I realized she had dug up an old charm bracelet to wear, which was much lighter in weight. So she tried to go through security with it. Apparently, her rings and necklace were fine, but the bracelet wasn't and she had to be wanded. No biggie. Next time, any bracelets will go into the carry on. The James Avery would have definitely never made it through.

Didn't read all responses... But...

My MIL goes through the thing like Mr T and sets alarms off direct to TSA headquarters.
It takes her 30 minutes to unharness the stuff, but they make her do it.

MG

I leave my rings in place, but if I'm wearing Alex & Ani it sets off the alarms. They now go into my purse and through that scanner instead.

Went through full body scan at BWI a week ago. Jewelry wasn't an issue, but the bling on my capri's back pockets earned me a pat down ::yes:: The lady was very professional, told me what she was touching before she did it.

I have worn my jewelry through security. Sometimes it sets things off. Sometimes it doesn't. When it dies, they usually just wand me.

If she wants to bring the jewelry but is concerned, have her put it in her carry on until she's through security.

Went through full body scan at BWI a week ago. Jewelry wasn't an issue, but the bling on my capri's back pockets earned me a pat down ::yes:: The lady was very professional, told me what she was touching before she did it.

My slip under my dress baffled TSA on a recent trip through security. I was not as lucky in MCO, they did not warn me about what the concern was so I was quite surprised when she went up my leg, across the divide and down the other one. o_O

Each scanner is different.
My Pandora bracelets were highlighted on the body scanner at Midway Airport last month but not my necklace. On the trip back, my diamond necklace was highlighted in the scanner at the Reno airport but not my bracelets.
They are scanners, not metal detectors.
I didn't have to take them off. They just looked at my wrist and my neck and patted them down.
My wedding rings were not highlighted on either scan

I have never had jewelry set off the alarm. I wore some overalls which the closure did. Then one agent told me to undue one side and it won't so I did and it never went off.

I have a little Vera Bradley ID holder (small zippered pouch). I put my jewelry in it before I leave to go to the airport, and put it in a spot where I can easily get to it in my carry on bag. Once I'm through security, I put my ring and bracelet on. Then I don't have to worry about forgetting it or setting off alarms.

Newark now lets me through with my watch on. But, otherwise, I'd also just bring a small zippered pouch to put the jewelry in to get past the sensors.

My jewelry is usually light so it's never set off anything but one time I wore a shirt with metallic thread that set it off so had to have the pat down. So now I'm careful not to wear anything with bling on it to the airport.

If your teen wants to wear the bracelet just have her pack it in her carry on and put it on once she gets through security.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter