Wearing PJs to Walmart

My dh always gets dressed in his best PJ's for our Walmart outings

83177f00-1244-4d20-9f18-3e931857b411.6d6635f5a600601c91f607e417fe0d9e.jpeg

And these are what he wears for casual Friday at work

be557983-d6b5-4641-bef6-6408a0f9b5b1.__CR48,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

I work from home, with no videoconferencing required. So a LOT of my wardrobe consists of t-shirts and soft stretchy black pants. I bought some of the pants in the "athleisure" department and some in the "pajama" department. They're all very similar, and i frankly don't remember which are which. I tend to sleep in them and work in them (but I do shower in between and put on different ones). If I'm "going out," whether it's for a full day of shopping or to the movies or whatever, I'll put on more traditional street clothes (jeans or whatever). But if I'm running to the store for milk, I'm not changing out of my yoga pants/pajamas/whatever you want to call them, then changing again when I get home. So technically, I guess I'm going out in my pajamas.

I live in New Orleans. My previous apartment was in the French Quarter, directly across the street from the oldest bar in the city. Their ATM was the closest for me, and my favorite 24 hour delivery place was cash only. So I would intentionally wear pajama pants that were obviously pajama pants and pull my hair back in a ponytail to go use the ATM late at night. I thought the shocked looks from the dolled up tourists were hilarious.

I also attended a very expensive college prep high school. The regular dress code was business attire, including ties for the boys. We had spirit week every year, including pajama day. Pretty sure it didn't screw up our chances of getting good jobs after college....

I haven't worn pajamas to Walmart, but I've done so a few times at 3am at Royal Farms or Wawa.

I was HOPING that people would notice me and snicker, but, alas, no one seemed to care. :sad:

Who cares what you wear to bed? I wear sweats to bed too. The topic was if pajamas should be worn in public. They were wearing obvious pajamas, no mistaking it. It’s “my opinion” that they should not be worn in public.
I guess it depends how you look at them. They looked like sweat suits to me.

You have to wonder if people who go out in pajamas ever bother to shower.
Well, some people shower before putting on their pajamas at night, some shower in the morning when they get out of bed, and some do both, while others do neither. I wouldn’t necessarily assume someone in pajamas hasn’t showered in days. However, I might assume they haven’t showered if they smell dirty.

Basically, all I want is for people to be clean, and wearing clothes that cover what needs to be covered. Personally, I would rather see the onesie in the original post than some of the swimwear people wear to grocery stores. Here in Florida, almost anything goes. However, so long as they are legally decent, they can wear what they like, and the worst I will do is go home and share their sartorial splendor with the family.

Well, some people shower before putting on their pajamas at night, some shower in the morning when they get out of bed, and some do both, while others do neither. I wouldn’t necessarily assume someone in pajamas hasn’t showered in days. However, I might assume they haven’t showered if they smell dirty.

Basically, all I want is for people to be clean, and wearing clothes that cover what needs to be covered. Personally, I would rather see the onesie in the original post than some of the swimwear people wear to grocery stores. Here in Florida, almost anything goes. However, so long as they are legally decent, they can wear what they like, and the worst I will do is go home and share their sartorial splendor with the family.

Is there any line you think is too far? Here’s a take on this I’m wondering about. I’m on vacation right now and am sitting on a fairly well-screened balcony overlooking the bustling pool area. There are some extremely skimpy thong bikinis being worn, which is to be expected. I’m lounging in a tank top and underpants after a long day of sightseeing. My underwear covers a lot more than much of the swimwear. If you saw somebody wearing something similar at the pool, would you (people in general, not necessarily you personally) judge it?

My two teenaged daughters wear pajama pants to school all the time. I thought they were crazy until I picked them up one day and it seemed like every girl was wearing pj pants. Id have been mortified to show up to school in pajamas lol

Or the supermarket, or anywhere. What’s your opinion?

View attachment 649901

I personally wouldn’t do it, but I have no problem with people who do.

Back in college we sometimes wore PJs to go out to eat at a diner at 3am.
They sold some of these in the clothing...not the sleepwear...section at Walmart the last couple of years. I think that answers what Walmart thinks.

Is there any line you think is too far?
I am of an age when if I was seen out and about wearing pyjamas, people might think I have dementia. I think if one is going to wear underpants and a vest around the pool, one should at least cover one’s head with a tied white handkerchief, so that people presume one is English. Perhaps accessorise with socks and sandals. 😉

Is there any line you think is too far? Here’s a take on this I’m wondering about. I’m on vacation right now and am sitting on a fairly well-screened balcony overlooking the bustling pool area. There are some extremely skimpy thong bikinis being worn, which is to be expected. I’m lounging in a tank top and underpants after a long day of sightseeing. My underwear covers a lot more than much of the swimwear. If you saw somebody wearing something similar at the pool, would you (people in general, not necessarily you personally) judge it?
There are definitely lines that I personally don’t think should be crossed, but my personal opinion doesn’t really count for much to the general public.

The point I was trying to make, and didn’t make as well as I thought, was that I was OK with pajamas because I have seen so much worse. If it were up to me, thong bikinis would not be allowed in the grocery. However, when you live in a beach community (I used to and my sister does now) you will see the very skimpy suits in the grocery as people buy their beach food for the day. Most of the time they are not wearing a cover up of any kind. The only thing I have seen someone turned away for was not wearing shoes. I personally do not consider a person to be adequately covered when wearing a thong swimsuit, but it’s not illegal to do so. So the best I can hope for is that people out shopping are clean and obeying the law (and being Florida, they don’t always obey the law either).

Yes, I do judge it, as far as I immediately think “What were they thinking!” when I see some of the things people wear in public. But there’s nothing I can do to change it unless they break the law. Even then, the only thing I could do is call in a complaint.

I am a pretty conservative person when it comes to my own clothes. I wear a swim tank and swim shorts to the beach, and I keep my pajamas indoors at home. I actually wear a dark, regular daytime tee and daytime knit shorts for pajamas when traveling in case my hotel has to be evacuated in the middle of the night (happened to my sister a few years back). I do not want to be the person on the news wrapped in a sheet in the parking lot (and I don’t think anyone else wants that either) :rolleyes1.

I would not personally wear pajamas out of the house, but as long as the other Walmart shoppers are clean and covered, I don't really care. I wear summer nighties all winter long, so people would definitely think I had wandered away from the nursing home if I were pushing a cart in my nightie and slippers! Furthermore, if I go to the trouble of putting a bra on, I'm going the little extra to put on regular clothes, for sure! And there's no way I would ever leave the house without a bra on! No one wants to see that!

What I find hilarious is that pajama wear for day and evening was introduced 100 years ago and beach pajamas were popularized in the 1920's by Coco Chanel. I wonder what the kids would say if they knew their great, great grandparents thought this up a century ago!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter