Weather in December?

PanIsMine

Mouseketeer
I know nobody has a crystal ball to predict the weather, but I'm going Dec 11-17th and I'm wondering what kind of weather I can expect? How chilly does it usually get in the evening? Would I be ok with shorts during the day and is it usually warm enough to go swimming? I'm a Floridian, so I get cold kind of easily.
Thanks!

Just keep in mind it is an El Nino year for us Californians. There will be a lot of rain this winter.

I know nobody has a crystal ball to predict the weather, but I'm going Dec 11-17th and I'm wondering what kind of weather I can expect? How chilly does it usually get in the evening? Would I be ok with shorts during the day and is it usually warm enough to go swimming? I'm a Floridian, so I get cold kind of easily.
Thanks!

As a Floridian, you'll probably be chilly. As a New Yorker/Chicagoan, to me, December in Anaheim can feel like early fall in the northeast/midwest. I spent a week at DLR in December and wore jeans and carried a sweater or light jacket. It was kind of...lukewarm during the day and chilly at night. But below the mid-60s you'll see locals wearing ski gear (winter vests, gloves, hats, scarves.) If you're used to Florida, you should probably aim for warmer clothes. It will rain, but as a Floridian I'm betting you already know how to plan for that in a Disney park. :-)

At home you don't go outside in the AM and stay outside all day. I'm from the Midwest and used to bitter cold weather, but still was very happy to have cold weather gear along on our 2013 trip. It was in the 30's when we woke up several days on our trip. Out of a week, we only had 1 day warm enough to not wear a jacket.

So do yourself a favor and be ready for anything. It should be lovely. But it wouldn't be lovely to outfit a family of 4 or 5 in cold weather gear at DLR prices. Our December bags always include gloves, hats, scarves and warm jackets. We always hope to not need them, but they always come along.

Thanks!

We are going the same dates as you are and were talking on the weekend what to pack. I am almost hoping I can get away with jeans and carry a hoody around. I have never been this late in the year, Can't wait to see all the Christmas decorations.:santa:

Last edited:
It will rain, but as a Floridian I'm betting you already know how to plan for that in a Disney park. :-)
That brings up an interesting point...I do think that some of the strategies for WDW will work in DLR, but it's worth noting that a lot less of DLR is indoors. There aren't as many of the attraction queues that are indoors/covered, so it's something to keep in mind. Also, it tends to be colder in DLR when it's raining than in WDW, so it's not as easy/comfortable to dry out after it stops raining.

We will also arrive 12/11 and I'm planning to pack everything and the kitchen sink, ha ha, since it is so hard to predict the weather. We have frozen in FL in December, gotten rained on, etc. I'm guessing it will be similar in CA.

Jeans/pants, shirts to layer, hoodie, and a waterproof jacket and you're 90% covered. If you're from FL I honestly don't think you'll need shorts unless there's a freakish heatwave and it'll likely be too cold to swim as well. I grew up in SoCal and nobody there goes swimming in Dec.

We were there around that time last year. We wore jeans and long sleeve shirts during the day and sweaters in the morning. At night we had hats, gloves, scarves, sweaters and vests/jackets to stay warm since we were closing the parks. We're from Northern CA so I would recommend lots of layers if you are used to warm FL weather- if it rains it's super cold too so pack extra changes and rain gear.

OR there will not. A strong El Nino has just as much chance of having below average rains as it does to have above normal rain.

Yeah... that below average scenario is likely not happening in SoCal this winter. All of the most recent reports say that nothing has weakened and it's game on as far as rainfall. The only thing to note is that the really nasty, relentless rain may not happen in December, and instead hold off until early next year. I am used to the heaviest phases of El Nino rainfall in late December or early in the year (first couple of months), so that's what I think might happen again.

December in CA is all over the place weather wise. December is insane. You never know what you will get. Pack for anything and I mean anything!

Day time temps tend to be 65-75*... however last year it hit 85* on Dec 23rd.... then dropped to 58* a week later on the 30th.

Of course So Cal can go from a high of 85* to a low of 49* (see Dec 23rd 2014) in the span of a few hours. Average lows are 45-55*, though it can drop below that if it is raining (or so they say). Makes it difficult to plan your outfit for the day. Lockers and a change of clothes are essential.

Also, if you get cold easily nobody will look at you funny if you are wearing 5 layers, a beanie, scarf, and gloves when it is 68* out. That is how we do it in Cali.

December in CA is all over the place weather wise. December is insane. You never know what you will get. Pack for anything and I mean anything!

Day time temps tend to be 65-75*... however last year it hit 85* on Dec 23rd.... then dropped to 58* a week later on the 30th.

Of course So Cal can go from a high of 85* to a low of 49* (see Dec 23rd 2014) in the span of a few hours. Average lows are 45-55*, though it can drop below that if it is raining (or so they say). Makes it difficult to plan your outfit for the day. Lockers and a change of clothes are essential.

Also, if you get cold easily nobody will look at you funny if you are wearing 5 layers, a beanie, scarf, and gloves when it is 68* out. That is how we do it in Cali.

That's not how all of us do it! It's not cold when it's 60-anything, let alone 68 degrees, to me. I don't bust out the winter coat until it drops to the 40s. When it hits 30 degrees -- and it can hit 30 degrees on December nights -- then I bust out the neck scarves and mittens too.

But I do giggle in silence at my fellow SoCal residents who go running for their parkas when it's 65 degrees.

Weather can definitely be all over the place in December -- that's for sure. And a 53-degree day can feel like a frozen tundra if there happens to be a cold wind along with it.

That's not how all of us do it! It's not cold when it's 60-anything, let alone 68 degrees, to me. I don't bust out the winter coat until it drops to the 40s. When it hits 30 degrees -- and it can hit 30 degrees on December nights -- then I bust out the neck scarves and mittens too.

But I do giggle in silence at my fellow SoCal residents who go running for their parkas when it's 65 degrees.

I am always cold. It hit the high 60s-low 50s the other night and I busted out the socks, darth vader onesie pjs, and many blankets. I am weak. No shame.

For me, any cold weather (from rather cool to freezing) is an opportunity to break out my "winter" clothes (i.e. all the sweaters and layers that I keep buying and hoping for a chance to wear)! So I'm another local guilty of looking like Nanook of the North when it's moderately chilly out. :) And I agree with the suggestion to go with layers. Easy to add on or remove according to the weather each day.
As for swimming weather, even on a chilly evening, the hot tub can feel great. So I would pack a swim suit, just in case.

How has the weather been lately for any of you who are there now or have been recently?

We live in SE Texas and have similar weather to the Orlando area. Mind you, I grew up in the northeast and have experienced real winter, but it's been years and the kids are warm weather people. We are going about a week after you and are planning light to moderate layering as well as ponchos. We are going up to the mountains to ski after we go to Disneyland, so I'm trying to prep them for much colder weather, but still...thinking long sleeve tees or turtlenecks, with a short sleeved tee over top if needed, and then a hoodie/sweatshirt/lighter sweater ... + a light jacket if needed. Like I said...layers which could be easily added or removed + that all important poncho at the ready.

You just never know with Anaheim. We are there the 2 weeks of Christmas each year since 1999. It can be shorts weather, it can be bundle up in your layers. We will be packing jeans and sweatshirts (and swimsuits..), and will have a coat just in case. Usually only need my coat on NYE. As far as El Nino, it doesn't mean heavy rains, it means continuous rains. And it doesn't really kick in til Jan per history.

We're going the same exact dates as you! That's hilarious! I'm planning on packing "workout" or yoga capris and jeans with short to long sleeved shirts and a few jackets. I'm also planning on taking some UGG boots for nighttime. I usually freeze, and I know that once night hits in December, usually it gets pretty chilly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter