Weather in January for people from cold areas

disneylover102

DIS Veteran
For those of you who live in a colder place (like Utah, where I’m from, or Idaho or some other relatively cold place), how is Florida weather in January? When we went in January this year to Disneyland, we weren’t as warm as we thought we’d be. But is Florida warmer? We’ll definitely be doing Splash at night (and Jurassic Park, Bilge Rat Barges, and Ripsaw Falls at Universal at night) when the lines are shorter but I don’t know what exactly to wear.

I've been in January where it's in the low 30s in the mornings/evenings. But it's also been in the 70s/80s in the afternoon (sometimes in the same day lol). The temperatures can vary quite a bit. One thing I mention a lot is that even if you are from a colder area, many people don't spend a whole lot of time outside at once like they do in the parks. So even if say 50 degrees doesn't sound cold, it can feel a good bit colder when you are outside in it for hours.

We are from MA. We have been to FL many times in Jan & Feb, as disneygirlsng said the temps are all over the place. Coming from a colder location, you will need a light coat. (While all the locals will be wearing heavy coats and gloves) This past Jan, I went down to our place to get away from work. One morning I got up and it was about 45 degrees in the AM. That day I was painting the living room so I open the windows. The air felt good. Later that day our neighbor stop by and said she though I was crazy opening the windows, until she saw that I was painting. I told her I am crazy, the windows were open for the the cool air and not the smell of paint

You really have to be prepared for anything. Last January they had to shorten the marathon because it was too hot. But it could also be very chilly, especially in the early morning or late at night.

I do think 40 or 50 feels colder in FL that it does elsewhere because of the high humidity and because you are outdoors longer.

One thing to consider this year is that hanging out indoors to warm up if it's really cold could be more limited. For example, if there's a line to enter a store and you are cold, you could just be stuck outside for a while. Especially if others inside are staying to keep warm.

We are from Ontario Canada, I would say a much colder area than Utah, and we spend a lot of time outdoors here. Even still, Florida can feel cold to us in the winter months. More than a light jacket cold. Especially at night . . . think heavy sweater, warm jacket, hat and gloves.

Or, you could get lucky and it's a warm spell. But, I wouldn't count on it.

Layering is really the best approach. It will keep you flexible for those days where it's cold in the morning, but hot by afternoon. Also I agree, definitely bring the hats and gloves. No fun spending a pile of cash buying duplicates of things you have at home and never intended to buy at Disney prices.

I’m from WI. We usually travel to WDW in the summer, but went one year in March. The wind made it sooo cold and we were not prepared. We are heading down in mid January and I plan on bringing lots of layers including a coat, gloves, stocking hat, sweatshirt, long underwear. I will also pack shorts because the weather could do anything in 2 weeks. Once I get chilled to the bone I’m miserable so I really want to prevent that if possible. I’d rather have it and not need it.

I do think 40 or 50 feels colder in FL that it does elsewhere because of the high humidity and because you are outdoors longer.

We are from Colorado and still refer to “Florida Cold” when helping our kids decide what to wear each day in the winter. Such as, “it’s a high of 30 today, but sunny, so not Florida Cold” after Marathon Weekend in 2018 that was SO cold. That humidity really helps the temps just penetrate that we are not used to and if the sun comes out it really doesn’t help warm things up like we are used to. But I’ve been there when it’s hot in Jan as well.

For those of you who live in a colder place (like Utah, where I’m from, or Idaho or some other relatively cold place), how is Florida weather in January? When we went in January this year to Disneyland, we weren’t as warm as we thought we’d be. But is Florida warmer? We’ll definitely be doing Splash at night (and Jurassic Park, Bilge Rat Barges, and Ripsaw Falls at Universal at night) when the lines are shorter but I don’t know what exactly to wear.

For some reason the humid heat never phases me as much as damp cold does, and damp cold is MUCH WORSE than snowy cold. Like how a 38 degree rainstorm is soooooo much worse than a 30 degree snowstorm, to put it in cold weather locale equivalents.

Also AK will feel hottest when it's hot and coldest when it's cold because of how it was built and the foliage

I've been in January where it's in the low 30s in the mornings/evenings. But it's also been in the 70s/80s in the afternoon (sometimes in the same day lol). The temperatures can vary quite a bit. One thing I mention a lot is that even if you are from a colder area, many people don't spend a whole lot of time outside at once like they do in the parks. So even if say 50 degrees doesn't sound cold, it can feel a good bit colder when you are outside in it for hours.

Our thoughts exactly. After 3 Januarys it seems like there is always some time in the 30s, and some time in the 80s. I'd say the lows are usually in the 50s and high around 70, but it does vary greatly. Worst days are those ones you mentioned, where its really cold in the morning, but warm in the afternoon. Hate carrying around a jacket when its not needed.

And yes, just remember even though we are used to the colder weather, most of us (some people do work outside) aren't in it all day long. I've been very surprised that when its in the 50s I do need something on being out all day. And while I'm at home if its in the upper 30s/low 40s I still don't need a jacket, being out in it I was freezing with just a hoodie on in the evening without the sun (sun makes a huge difference in feel too).

We do always swim though. The water is heated. Just gets cold when you get out. Have also been where it was so cold that they only had the pools open during the daylight (can't remember exact hours but I'll say like 9-6).

If you are going in January, (1) the lines rarely get too long, and (2) they get long for the water rides even less frequently. I'd plan to ride those in the middle of the day and do the other headliners that don't have the ability to affect your comfort in the evening.

We live just minutes from the MK, in Windermere, Florida. Check the local weather forecast before you travel, but be prepared for pretty much anything. In the past week or two we've had overnight temps that dropped into the low 40's/high 30's (cold!) and then yesterday our mid-day temps topped out in the low 80's. We suggest layering if you head out to a park for a full day of touring... it is typically cooler in the morning and evening, but warm during mid day. You may be most comfortable having a sweater or jacket for morning, and being able to shed down to a tee-shirt for the afternoon.

I've been on Disney property during the month of January many times. As everyone pointed out, the temps can range from the 30's into the 80's. One year, we encountered sleet one day in January.
And, for some reason, I felt really cold in the parks when the temps were lower than 55 even though I reside in the northeast.
But being in FL when it is 75 degrees in January is a wonderful experience.

We go to WDW every year in January for marathon. One year it was in the 80's and one year it was in the 30's. The weather is kind of like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get! LOL Check the forecast 5 - 10 days out and go from there.

I agree with all the above. We've been in early February, but not January.
One year it was supposed to be in the 70's the whole trip. I didn't pack a sweater, sweatshirt, or jacket!
Well you can imagine how cold I was when it was 50's and cold!!! It felt colder than our Minnesota weather at 50.
We looked all over WDW for a sweatshirt. They had those thin hoodie things, but no "real" fleece sweatshirts anywhere. Florida's idea of a sweatshirt and Mn. idea of a sweatshirt are completely different. We don't care if they are cute, just so they keep us warm. My husband wore a sweater on the trip down, and I ended up wearing that sweater for 4 days in a row!!!
He said he was warm enough in his regular shirts. :) What a guy!
So, don't let the forecast fool you.

One funny experience that happened in the MK on a "cold" day in they low 60's. We were without jackets, sweatshirts. Just had on normal t shirts and jeans. We went to Tomorrow land, and one of the CM's had on a bulky, down coat with attached hood up. She had a beanie on under the hood. She had a scarf, gloves, and boots on, and she was STILL freezing. I felt so sorry for her, but it was kind of funny to see (reminded me of Kenny on South Park, LOL).

I was there the last week of January 2020, and I’m from MN. I found myself getting chilled in the mornings and evenings more than I would with similar 50s-60s temps at home. I think it might be due to a higher humidity level in FL (but I’m not a scientist or anything, so I could be way off base 😆)

We have been to WDW every year the past five years. We always take throw away ponchos for water rides. I do not want to be a member of the Wet Butt Yacht Club and/or be cold after riding water rides yet the water rides are my favs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter