Weather Questions?

mAlien13

Down with Disney
Hello! :goodvibes

We are getting closer and closer to our December trip, and we are still trying to decide if we are going to drive down the I-5 from WA to CA or drive along the coast. I am having a really hard time finding a good site that can give me a history of the weather patterns in the 2nd and 3rd week of December. I was just wondering if anyone has a favorite site they use to figure this stuff out?

Any suggestions would be great. We'd love it if we could just cruise straight down the I-5, but we don't want to get stranded or terribly delayed.

mAlien13 said:
Hello! :goodvibes

We are getting closer and closer to our December trip, and we are still trying to decide if we are going to drive down the I-5 from WA to CA or drive along the coast. I am having a really hard time finding a good site that can give me a history of the weather patterns in the 2nd and 3rd week of December. I was just wondering if anyone has a favorite site they use to figure this stuff out?

Any suggestions would be great. We'd love it if we could just cruise straight down the I-5, but we don't want to get stranded or terribly delayed.

everytime we get weather questions I squirm because the last few years the weather has been seriously unpredictable and for that reason alone I dont think a site that shows history of weather is gonna help you...but I can tell you that for the last 2 years in Nov and Dec....along with this Nov and Dec. coming up...I drive the I5 from Merced down there and I havent had any problems with snow, fires, nothing....as far as the coast goes, it should be fine...not like you will encounter snow or nothin :lmao: if you are driving really early in the morning you'll probably get the fog but other than that you should be good either way...keep in mind that although the coast is gorgeous, it does require longer driving time and if you have little ones that might present a problem with bathrooms, fast food, gas stations(that wont charge 2 arms and 8 legs) hehe

Thank you, Lynn. :wave2: We drove the I-5 in April, and it was so easy. We origionally planned to drive the coast this winter even though it's longer just to avoid the possibility. I guess that in the end it is unpredictable. We will just have to watch and see, we probably won't decide which route to take a day or two before we go.

One other question though, is the response time at the Oregon/California border good in the event of bad weather? In other words, do the plows arrive quickly and salt and clear the road, or does it cause a huge pile up? Maybe someone who has had experience with the bad weather there would know. We've lived in Maine, we aren't worried about driving in snow or ice, but a delay on the way to DL is always a bad thing, right? :rotfl:

On our trip back on February, I used the 10 day forecast on weather.com. I was fairly confident several days before our trip that we would have nice weather on our drive from Portland. Of course that doesn't help you today to plan a trip in December. Still, I think it'd be hard to predict what things will be like the 1st half of December. :confused3 (We're doing the same thing for our trip this weekend--checking the predicted weather for Anaheim 11/10-14)
The thing I'd be worried about driving US101 is not snow, but rain. You know what kind of weather we've been having here in the NW the past couple of days. With that comes flooding and sometimes landslides on the Oregon coast. I don't know if they have the same problems in California, but you never know.

I guess, like you said, you may not know till a couple of days before which way to go. My advice would be to carry chains (unless you have a set of dedicated snow tires already on your vehicle) just in case. Good luck and have fun!!!

I think your biggest issue if you take I-5 will be at the Grapevine, just south of where I'm at- as you have to go over the mountains- if there's an accident, heavy rain, even a little snow, too foggy, it can shut down, and then you're stuck, as there really isn't a decent alternative. If it shuts down while you're going thru the pass then you're REALLY stuck there.

At the time of year you're talking about, though, I haven't ever personally experienced being stuck other than an accident caused delay, and that can happen anywhere. I've gone over the pass thousands of times in my lifetime.

KelsiesMommy said:
I think your biggest issue if you take I-5 will be at the Grapevine, just south of where I'm at- as you have to go over the mountains- if there's an accident, heavy rain, even a little snow, too foggy, it can shut down, and then you're stuck, as there really isn't a decent alternative. If it shuts down while you're going thru the pass then you're REALLY stuck there.

At the time of year you're talking about, though, I haven't ever personally experienced being stuck other than an accident caused delay, and that can happen anywhere. I've gone over the pass thousands of times in my lifetime.

yeah I agree with you KelsiesMommy...there shouldnt be any problem at all going over the gv......but like you said Malien....the best thing to do is make your decision a couple days before your leaving because things change so quick...I wouldnt worry about the rain though :rotfl: I mean come on...your from WA...piece of cake being in cali yeah? ;) btw...I probably wont decide as to what time of day Im leaving until the day before so Im with ya there

Hi there!

Be very careful with 101 during Dec and Jan.
Tillamook is flooded right now.(over 18 inces of water over 101) If there is much of any rain like we are having now, you could be cut off at any point and that can cause you HUGE detours along the coast line.

Watch the coast weather, but I would suggest you not get on 101 until you get to dryer areas. 101 usually has land slides near Brookings, Otis, Newport and road flooding near Rockaway,Tillamook, Lincoln City Coos Bay. I would need to look at a map to name the other areas.

Hang in there, you still have time to plan for it.

This is why I love the DISboards so much! If not for you guys, I would have continued to think of 101 as my safety, back-up route and not given one thought to the potential problems on that route!! :blush: And just think, I was born and raised in Washington, and lived for a while in Brookings, OR, right on the coast!!!

I really think we will be fine going I-5, now that I've just let it settle in. We are just going to leave early, maybe stop for a night for a change(we are always crazy road trippers, we never stop until we drop!!), we'll just take our time.

So, does anyone know a nice, inexpensive hotel about half-way between Portland, OR and Anaheim? :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter