• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Weather this upcoming week...

be0URguest

Mouseketeer
Morning everyone! Not sure if this the appropriate place to post this but I have concerns over the weather this week. The hubby and I have a long weekend trip planned next weekend and so far weather says rain/thunderstorms anywhere from 50-80%.. hrmmph. And on top of that mostly cloudy. We planned this trip to sort of relax by the pool and take our time...

Any advice? I know florida storms are usually 30 minutes and then pass but I'm super worried this will effect our whole day on multiple days and that we won't get to use our beloved pool at WL for some much needed relaxation.

I will def run to the store to grab us some ponchos but yea. Any thoughts / advice / happy thoughts (haha) appreciated!

We get there on Mother's Day and it seems like we are in for a wet week. I've got my fingers crossed that it's not a total wash out and that we get to see the sun from time to time. I'm not a FL resident or expert, but this looks like a tropical system, so not the normal pop up stuff I don't think. That's the negative stuff :(

On the positive side:
Cooler Temps-yay!!!
Maybe lower crowds in the parks-yay!!!
We are still at WDW-we can poncho up and keep going-and that beats computer screens and spreadsheets anytime!!
Positive attitude will help-we can't control the weather, but we can control our attitude about it :flower1:

Looks like most of the rain is early in the week-so for you that's positive if you aren't heading that way until 5/18. Also by that time the forecast could be completely different. Over the past week that I've been checking the weather it has changed back and forth.

Sending Happy Thoughts out that we only have minimum rain and clouds pixiedust::sunny:

This has happened to us a couple of times now. Once in September for a few days, and twice in January. The good news is that this time of year, at least you won't be frozen while it's raining. (In January, it was in the 40s/50s during the all day rain which pretty much precluded poncho'ing up and heading out regardless!)
Rainy Day things:
* Check out the Rainy Day Calvalcade at Magic Kingdom (if they cancel Festival of Fantasy due to the weather)
* Go to Disney Springs Goofy's Candy store and make your own Mickey rice krispie or marshmallow snack (btw we did this on an adults only trip-and it was awesome even with just adults!)
* Tour the Monorail resorts and go on a unofficial lounge hop, sampling some great apps and drinks (CR- CA Grill Lounge, Wave Lounge, Outer Rim Lounge. Poly- Tambu Lounge and Trader Sams. GF- Mizner's Lounge and Citricos Lounge)
* It looks like you'll be at WL. If that's correct, if you're into reading, perhaps relax by the giant fireplace with a good book
* Epcot Future World is a great park on rainy days due to so many indoor attractions. Despite this, it's our experience that it is still practically empty on rainy days.
* If the budget allows, perhaps make a trip to GFs Senses Spa.
* Go to Port Orleans Riverside and enjoy Yeehaw Bob's show at the River Roost Lounge
* Attend the Hoop Dee Doo Revue

I hope it all works out! It's disappointing when the weather doesn't cooperate, but try to remember you're on vacation and brainstorm other things to do that perhaps you've never even done before.

The storms are always so quick, but I know the feeling. Really, though you shouldn't have too much of an issue.

Much too early to get an accurate weather prediction.

This is absolutely correct. Seems like they can't even get it right day-of.

Another story to share- Our September trip in 2012 involved an incoming tropical storm. The weather forecast had us soaked ALL DAY. Well, the system took a little longer to arrive than expected, around 11am. We were able to get several attractions/activities in at Hollywood Studios prior to the first drop. After 11, it was an all-day washout. But, that doesn't preclude any of the out-of-the-box rainy day activities!

As long as there isn't lightning, head to the parks. Make sure you have a spare pair of shoes so one can dry while you wear the other. The Disney ponchos have never failed me. Heavy enough not to tear right away, but not so heavy that you feel encased in plastic. And if you tear one during your trip, you may be able to replace it for a free one with your receipt during that trip.

Any advice? I know florida storms are usually 30 minutes and then pass but I'm super worried this will effect our whole day on multiple days and that we won't get to use our beloved pool at WL for some much needed relaxation.
Sorry but this is not going to be traditional rainy season behavior this week. This is a very moisture heavy low pressure area moving up from the Florida Straits right across the entire length of Florida. For example, the major rain should be between Sunday and Tuesday. It will improve all week and the windy conditions will help keep the humidity in check.

The normal rainy season has not started yet, during a normal pattern we often get quick passing showers any time of the day with a quick Thunderstorm in the afternoon due to the heat cycle across the interior of the state. That's why we say wait for the 3 PM Thunder shower instead of wait for the 3 PM Parade.

However there a few key positives with this forecast rain. Casual crowds will stay away and the waits for attractions should be very short. Just pack the right clothes, lots of light, thin items that will dry quickly. Multiple changes of shoes: your normal pair and a pair of walking saddles if possibe. Leave your flip-flops at home unless you don't mind the occasional slip or fall, the outdoor surfaces are very slippery and when you enter any building the entries may be extremely wet.

Dave

we're looking for the silver lining this week - Like Dave said, the casual crowds won't be there. That, and any day at disney beats a day at work/school!

The weather has been tolerable. We had a gorgeous, warm, SUNNY day for most of Tuesday. A downpour around 3pm that lasted around 45min and then a steady rain close to 9pm. Nothing as bad as first feared.

My friend was at DHS Tuesday night and they had a storm. Walking around with water up to their ankles getting out. Bring extra shoes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter