Weather wise would you go the week before Memorial Day OR middle of June or does it matter that much?

SeiterClan

DIS Veteran
Taking a once in a lifetime trip to celebrate oldest son's high school graduation so wondering which dates would be better & what other things we should thing about in regards to choosing dates?!? We are first timers to the WDW but have been to the Land many times! Any help/advice would be much appreciated! Thank you :)

Due to the extremely close timing of those dates weather and temps can vary yearly.
So it matters not, weather-wise.

Weatherwise, you're not looking at that much of a difference in my opinion. The later in the summer, the hotter and greater chance of rain. But the difference between those two times you mentioned won't be that big.

I think you'll have smaller crowds the week before Memorial Day, FWIW. That would be the deciding factor for me.

Enjoy!

I would go week before Memorial day as most are still in school, well some form of schooling. Weather wise just about the same. Now July/Aug/Sept oh my word a difference!

Week before memorial day -- I figure lower crowds plus a better chance to have a little less heat and humidity -- June can be quite hot and humid.

We are also LAND regulars making our first trip to WORLD to celebrate our oldest son's graduation! We arrive on May 25 and leave June 1. Pushing the trip further into hurricane season just made me nervous.

Taking a once in a lifetime trip to celebrate oldest son's high school graduation so wondering which dates would be better & what other things we should thing about in regards to choosing dates?!? We are first timers to the WDW but have been to the Land many times! Any help/advice would be much appreciated! Thank you :)
The differences are so slight. I suppose I would pick May and just hope its a bit cooler and dryer.

My advice is to pace yourself and understand that WDW is massive and time-consuming to get around in by comparison to Disneyland.

Also, you can't do everything, so pick 1 or 2 things you want to do a day and build around that.

The differences are so slight. I suppose I would pick May and just hope its a bit cooler and dryer.

My advice is to pace yourself and understand that WDW is massive and time-consuming to get around in by comparison to Disneyland.

Also, you can't do everything, so pick 1 or 2 things you want to do a day and build around that.

I second this. We've done both DL and WDW, and the differences can't be stressed enough. Both are terrific, but the scale of WDW makes it a completely different experience. Don't let that scare you--just plan.

My advice is a bit different that what others have posted so far.

How well will you be acclimated to the heat by the time you want to go? (How hot will it FEEL to you?)

That's the critical question. If you can't get outdoors much, and/or you will be coming from a much cooler location, then the extra weeks might make a big difference in how you cope with the FL weather. If you can be well-acclimated in May then it won't matter as much. The key is to spend time outdoors in warm weather.

June might be a bit more crowded, but it depends how close your trip will extend towards Memorial Day. If you mean you will leave a full week before Memorial day, then that would likely be less crowded. If your trip will extend to nearly Memorial day weekend (say 5/28) then the parks will be more/quite crowded, though it depends where we are on vaccinations/and COVID case numbers. As more folks get vaccinated, and case numbers go down, WDW will get more crowded.

Last edited:

Weather wise it will likely be the same. Traditional crowd wise, I would pick May over June a lot of the country doesn't get out of school until some time in June. We have left our last day of school award days and driven straight to WDW and enjoyed relatively low crowds. Also check the dates of Flower and Garden Festival at EPCOT, you might sneak in the last week of that also.

We've been both and it seemed like the temperature was similar, but there were more (and heavier) afternoon rain showers when we went in June.

While weather is fickle in Florida, hurricane season begins Jun 1; while typically we don't get hurricanes that early, it is likely that it will be hotter and rainier. Definitely will be more crowded in June, and cost of tickets and hotel might be higher. All things being equal, I'd choose before Memorial Day if that is an option.

Before Memorial Day! It’s late in the school year for most, so crowds are lighter and you have a chance of lower humidity.

Weather wise I think it is a toss-up. But attendance wise May could potentially be better. Why? In Ohio there is talk of extending the school year based on the negative impact Covid has had on education. Will this happen for sure. Who knows?? Are other states thingking the same??? Also, our district is out June 9 but we have used all five allowed snow days. If we have any additional snow days our school year will be extended. (And we are watching the weather as we speak!!) I do not know if a lot of schools are going late or longer but I would assume less attendance before school is out???

We are also LAND regulars making our first trip to WORLD to celebrate our oldest son's graduation! We arrive on May 25 and leave June 1. Pushing the trip further into hurricane season just made me nervous.
We arrive May 29 and leave June 5. We always arrive Memorial Day weekend. We come as soon as my daughter gets out of school. So far the worst weather we’ve had is afternoon thunderstorms but not every day.

May can be quite warm but I just checked and resort rates mid-May are pricing lower than early June.
Plus I agree that many schools are still in session in May, thus it may be less crowded.

When My kids were in school, they got out in May, a whole week prior to everyone in our county & surrounding counties BUT we felt it was very busy at WDW and it was HOT! So I don't think that it will be any different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter