Wedding Reception Late Night Snack

Given that I would have some food at the bar/pub. Appetizers/pizza that kind of thing. It is so interesting how weddings are so different in different areas. I have never seen a dessert buffet at a wedding.
My niece had a dessert buffet if that’s what you call it,10 years ago. They had a smallish wedding cake and we all made home made desserts to put around it. Pies, cookies, brownies, cake balls. It was cute and a big hit.

My friends son had way too much dessert. They had a waffle truck, nothing Bundt cakes, a s’mores table, and a traditional cake. They had a lot of left overs.

So I’m in the NYC area where weddings are typically very formal affairs. Tons of food, starting with passed hors d'oeuvres and cocktail hour buffets that in other regions would be the main meal. Followed by a plated multi-course dinner, then later on, the wedding cake, plus often a large dessert buffet known as the Viennese table/hour. Open bar throughout. No one leaves hungry or needs anything else. Obviously customs are regional. I’ve never had Uncrustables and they don’t appeal to me, but I’m sure some would enjoy them as a snack.

So I've been reading a lot of "newer" type trends with my age group (Millennials) and below saying snacks are the way we eat. I sure love snacks but not enough to make mini meals throughout the day instead of having actual breakfast, lunch or dinner. However, why couldn't they just make it (if the predominate crowd is those mid-20s) make it more like snacks throughout instead of trying to do a main meal and coordinate late night snack? Obviously ensuring there's enough variety and amount to sustain people.

When my husband's prior work had holiday parties they were more this style. Food safety being kept in mind but they had throughout the space (which was very large, the largest in that convention center) plentiful tables of food (duplicates of some tables so crowding wasn't an issue). It was never sit down dinner and just a lot of more snack style portions. Pasta salad put in small but artfully designed bowls for example.

Seems like a lot to do a grazing table, a dinner, and a late night snack.

I'm a bit confused though if after the reception is over the young people are going to a pub nearby just who are these late night snacks meant for?
Believe it or not, where we live, the style of reception you describe is more expensive than a family style dinner and often more expensive that a plated dinner.

The late night snacks would be for the 20 somethings. Typically the late night snack is served towards the end of the reception. The post party at the pub will not be a hosted event. The neither the bride, groom, nor their families are paying for that part. In their friend group, everyone pays their own way once they get to the pub.

Given that I would have some food at the bar/pub. Appetizers/pizza that kind of thing.
Yes that changed the story. Offer to those who go to part II of party.

It is so interesting how weddings are so different in different areas. I have never seen a dessert buffet at a wedding.
I have noticed at most weddings we have been to with traditional cake ... plates of cut cake left sitting all night. Wedding helpers walking around trying to give it away.

I went to a southern wedding (older bride and groom but both their first wedding) and they had a pie bar, all different kinds of pie. The wedding cake was tiny and just for them. I've seen dessert bars (cookies, brownies, small sweets) where one could just grab and go - no need for plates and flatware. It seems to be more common place to do this in lieu of a big cake - it's often less expensive, guests get more choices, the offering can be "fancier" than cake and it makes a nice display/decor.

DD had tiny cake just for them (removed immediately after cutting). The baker then made an assortment of cupcake flavors including cake's flavor (DD & SIL picked flavors) that were easy for folks to pick up and eat or take home with them. No waste. All extras went home with us. DD had seen a similar setup online so we created it for ourselves. Even the venue consultants loved it.

PS We added 3 candies - mints, and then DD and SIL favorite candy.

cake table.jpgcake right.jpgcake.jpg

Believe it or not, where we live, the style of reception you describe is more expensive than a family style dinner and often more expensive that a plated dinner.

Interesting how costs vary. We priced every option we could. Plated meals were WAY more than any other due to the more than double staff needed to be hired. Family style would not be something that would be offered at a "formal" wedding - perhaps a casual outdoor BBQ style. One reason would be is formal tables are decorated and usually no room. We were in a window of time where events were permitted end of 2020 with rules. While set up as a buffet, guests could not touch anything. Staff plated it for you as you walked the buffet. What was great is it controlled portions. It went smooth and quickly thanks to our consultants and caterer.

Last edited:
Oh yeah it def. could be and knowing my husband's prior company they probably spent a good amount, but it would be easier to plan that then specifically plan for late night snack that may or may not even be needed in addition to a grazing table during cocktails and a main meal plus dessert/cake.
The late night snacks would be for the 20 somethings. Typically the late night snack is served towards the end of the reception. The post party at the pub will not be a hosted event. The neither the bride, groom, nor their families are paying for that part. In their friend group, everyone pays their own way once they get to the pub.
It's not entirely unheard of for younger people (including the wedding couple) to go out at some point whether before or after. Two weddings I've been to the wedding couple did a party bus before coming to the reception (one was doing it as a way to get scenic around the town style wedding photos although they were hammered at their own wedding reception and were sloppy as heck) so I get going out later on.

But if the people who the snacks are meant for are going to a pub later it makes less sense to me to specifically provide food for them when combined with the other food already being provided and even more so if this group generally has the "pay their own way" mantra. But that's just my take, it just comes off more about doing something for the sake of doing something. In the moment it might be easier for the bride and groom to say purchase a round of some apps at this pub as it would be only for those who opted to go so less likely for food waste.

Our son's buffet had numerous stations to get food around all walls of the hall. It was not just one continuous line. There were really no long lines anywhere. That's also a consideration if your caterer and venue can accommodate.

Yes that changed the story. Offer to those who go to part II of party.

I have noticed at most weddings we have been to with traditional cake ... plates of cut cake left sitting all night. Wedding helpers walking around trying to give it away.

I went to a southern wedding (older bride and groom but both their first wedding) and they had a pie bar, all different kinds of pie. The wedding cake was tiny and just for them. I've seen dessert bars (cookies, brownies, small sweets) where one could just grab and go - no need for plates and flatware. It seems to be more common place to do this in lieu of a big cake - it's often less expensive, guests get more choices, the offering can be "fancier" than cake and it makes a nice display/decor.

DD had tiny cake just for them (removed immediately after cutting). The baker then made an assortment of cupcake flavors including cake's flavor (DD & SIL picked flavors) that were easy for folks to pick up and eat or take home with them. No waste. All extras went home with us. DD had seen a similar setup online so we created it for ourselves. Even the venue consultants loved it.

PS We added 3 candies - mints, and then DD and SIL favorite candy.

View attachment 764077View attachment 764078View attachment 764079

Interesting how costs vary. We priced every option we could. Plated meals were WAY more than any other due to the more than double staff needed to be hired. Family style would not be something that would be offered at a "formal" wedding - perhaps a casual outdoor BBQ style. One reason would be is formal tables are decorated and usually no room. We were in a window of time where events were permitted end of 2020 with rules. While set up as a buffet, guests could not touch anything. Staff plated it for you as you walked the buffet. What was great is it controlled portions. It went smooth and quickly thanks to our consultants and caterer.
I will say at our wedding 17 years ago in Maine we had a traditional wedding cake but it had blueberries in it. It was absolutely delicious and people where actually trying to swipe additional pieces. Normally I don't see that happening. I was in a wedding in Vermont where they had a pie bar and I loved it.

Plated meals were WAY more than any other due to the more than double staff needed to be hired. Family style would not be something that would be offered at a "formal" wedding - perhaps a casual outdoor BBQ style. One reason would be is formal tables are decorated and usually no room. We were in a window of time where events were permitted end of 2020 with rules. While set up as a buffet, guests could not touch anything. Staff plated it for you as you walked the buffet. What was great is it controlled portions. It went smooth and quickly thanks to our consultants and caterer.
We had a buffet and the catering place we ended up going with for ours would have had the same number of staff either way because the staff came around and refilled drinks (as well as taking drink orders with exception to bar items) and picked up plates and empty glasses. That seems to be the case at other weddings we've been too with plated meals. For ours there was one or two staff that were at the buffet not to plate everyone's meal but to help either those who needed help (like elderly) or to swap out empty containers with new ones.

The difference was there if you were doing a more restaurant catering place which we have been to weddings that have done that as well. One of the weddings did a well-known in our area Mexican place for their wedding catered in (it was not a low-key wedding either they just really liked this place), in that case someone picks up the order or arranges for the restaurant to drop it off but no staff are really there.

In our case buffet was less expensive than plated but the difference was less noticeable when you added the surcharge that many charged for having actual plates and silverware as opposed to plastic. Of course though if your food was including things like lobster and higher end steaks the plated meals would be far more expensive regardless.

I’ve been to a few weddings that served a late night snack towards the end of the reception. One bride had a deli/sandwich making display. Another served individually boxed pizza slices. Another had a nacho bar. Some folks in our area hire an ice cream truck or a donut truck for the late night snack (though I’ve not personally been to a wedding that had this). I’ve also been to several recent weddings that didn’t serve a late night snack at all.

I’m helping a family member with wedding planning. We are kicking around cost effective ideas for a late night snack. After doing a bunch of research and costing out several options, we’re thinking of serving Uncrustables, which are around .90 cents a piece - very budget friendly.

And apparently PB & J is one of the best post-booze-binge snacks.

So would you eat an Uncrustable as a wedding late night snack?
No, but I don't think I'd eat any post-reception snack. I guess I don't really get it. Just go home and to bed lol.

So I’m in the NYC area where weddings are typically very formal affairs. Tons of food, starting with passed hors d'oeuvres and cocktail hour buffets that in other regions would be the main meal. Followed by a plated multi-course dinner, then later on, the wedding cake, plus often a large dessert buffet known as the Viennese table/hour. Open bar throughout. No one leaves hungry or needs anything else. Obviously customs are regional. I’ve never had Uncrustables and they don’t appeal to me, but I’m sure some would enjoy them as a snack.
Oh boy!!! I’ve been to NY and NJ weddings like these, and they are incredible! I was so full to the point of being almost ill, haha!

Funny story - right after college my girlfriends and I attended another college friend’s wedding in my Southern city. Our friend from Pittsburg was hardly eating anything at the reception. When we asked her why, she said she was saving room for the dinner. We all laughed and told her THIS was the dinner! It was a typical southern cocktail reception. She was horrified. That style reception was big when I got married 30+ years ago, but then receptions evolved into cocktail hour followed by Station receptions, Buffet receptions and Plated dinner receptions. Hardly anyone here has just an Hors d’oeuvres reception anymore. But the cocktail hours don’t have nearly the amount of food as the big Northern weddings.

We gave out a small favor of snacks after our wedding. You can have a sweet and salty option if you feel like people really need a snack. A local specialty is always fun. Is that not a thing anymore?
I was also gonna suggest comboing the snack into a wedding favor if it's really wanted...and you think you'll run out of cake.

My wedding favor was a small bottle of champagne and a 4 piece candy box from the high end local candy shop - that was it, and they were huge hits at the time...

My nephew was married a couple weeks ago and they had pizza delivered at 10pm-ish. No individual boxes just paper plates. People seemed happy.

Here’s a little more info on the initial plans for this wedding. It’s going to be at a downtown venue with a mid 20s crowd and some family (120 to 150 people), open bar with liquor, cocktail hour will have a big grazing table, dinner will be either plated or family style followed by a big dance party. The bride thinks buffets take too long (thus the family style or plated service), and she also wants all the formalities (intros, parent dances, speeches, cake cutting) done quickly right after the grand entrance before and/or during dinner so that the bulk of the reception is uninterrupted party time. She and her crowd love cake, so she wants a big wedding cake versus a dessert buffet. She said she’s seen too many dessert buffets go to waste at the weddings she’s attended. She’s going to have the cake served to everyone after the main course during dinner. After the reception is over, everyone (all the young people) will go to a nearby bar/pub with a 2nd floor party space to continue the party. This part will not be hosted or paid for by the bride, groom, or their families. In their crowd everyone pays their own way once they get to the pub.

I’m not sure the quests will really need a late night snack, but it’s kind of turning into the norm where we live, so she wants to consider it.
Based on follow-up posts, I'm not sure I understand where the late night snack will be served. If it's at the pub, they could rent a popcorn maker & either enlist someone to bag & serve it or allow guests to serve themselves. In my clubbing days, I always preferred something salty to go with the alcohol. Popcorn would be a low cost, novelty option.

I had never heard of Uncrustables so looked them up. I wound not think that they are appropriate for a wedding. Maybe for a young child’s party. Maybe.

Like many here, I have attended a ton of weddings. We never leave hungry but two/maybe three weddings we had some sort of snack on the way out/waiting for valet. I was surprised the first time I saw this. Once water and soft pretzels were offered. Another time hot dogs stand and water also. I am almost positive there was another time where they had snacks to go to inside.

Usually there is the Viennese hour with a ton of sweets, ice cream, crepes, cotton candy, anything and everything one can think of. (yes, usually these weddings are in NY, NJ and Long Island).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter