Weird Clock Question

PollyannaMom

I was a click-clack champ!!
So, in changing our clocks last night, I somehow caused one to become "fussy" - the second hand gets to a point where it's trying to tick forward, but stopping. It's not the battery. I thought maybe I just jostled something and one hand was catching on another or something, so I took it down to check, and realized the weird thing. - It works fine when it's flat on the counter, but stops at a certain point when it's hung on the wall. What on earth could I have done to it??

So this is just one of those simple clocks with a single AA battery? If that's it, a lot of these have no jewels and get worn over time. Another issue is that they kind of work when there's a weaker battery, but possibly not always under all conditions.

So this is just one of those simple clocks with a single AA battery? If that's it, a lot of these have no jewels and get worn over time. Another issue is that they kind of work when there's a weaker battery, but possibly not always under all conditions.
Yeah, the first thing I would try is replacing the battery, if it has one. Battery clocks can do strange things as the battery grows weak.

I had almost the same issue with a clock last night. It worked fine before I took it down to change it. I put a new battery in it and set the right time, put it back up, and it got stuck with the second hand just ticking and not moving. I took the battery out and put it in again, and the clock stopped working completely. I threw it out and ordered a new one.

Just curious . . . Does it make a difference with those battery clocks whether you move the hands one way or the other? I mean, moving the time ahead an hour shouldn’t make a difference because of moving the hands clockwise, but when setting it back an hour, do most people just turn it back counterclockwise or run forward through the hours until the hands are correct? We have an antique mantle clock that chimes, and when setting the clock back we have to move the minute hand forward in fifteen minute increments, allowing the chimes to ring before moving the hands again. If we don’t, it ends up in the repair shop.

Yeah, the first thing I would try is replacing the battery, if it has one. Battery clocks can do strange things as the battery grows weak.

I tried a new battery (and also bent the hand out a smidge more) and it seems to be working. I guess the old battery had just enough juice to work with the clock on it's side, but not against gravity. :laughing:

IMG_0294.jpeg

Thanks, everyone!!

Just curious . . . Does it make a difference with those battery clocks whether you move the hands one way or the other? I mean, moving the time ahead an hour shouldn’t make a difference because of moving the hands clockwise, but when setting it back an hour, do most people just turn it back counterclockwise or run forward through the hours until the hands are correct? We have an antique mantle clock that chimes, and when setting the clock back we have to move the minute hand forward in fifteen minute increments, allowing the chimes to ring before moving the hands again. If we don’t, it ends up in the repair shop.

It shouldn't matter. They should be adjustable in both directions where it's fine either direction.

We have an antique mantle clock that chimes, and when setting the clock back we have to move the minute hand forward in fifteen minute increments, allowing the chimes to ring before moving the hands again. If we don’t, it ends up in the repair shop.
We have a grandfather clock, the same. You go backwards against the gears, damage.
I tried a new battery (and also bent the hand out a smidge more) and it seems to be working. I guess the old battery had just enough juice to work with the clock on it's side, but not against gravity. :laughing:

View attachment 840679

Thanks, everyone!!
Good to hear you got it going, @PollyannaMom. We have a kitchen wall clock, does similar now and then. The new battery always takes care of it, at least for about 2 years. Neat looking clock.

We have a grandfather clock, the same. You go backwards against the gears, damage.

Good to hear you got it going, @PollyannaMom. We have a kitchen wall clock, does similar now and then. The new battery always takes care of it, at least for about 2 years. Neat looking clock.

I can't stand those clocks and that clicking sound. I was staying over with someone in a living room (a bedroom wasn't available because of other guests) and I ended up taking out the battery of the clock in the kitchen because I couldn't sleep with that sound.

I can't stand those clocks and that clicking sound. I was staying over with someone in a living room (a bedroom wasn't available because of other guests) and I ended up taking out the battery of the clock in the kitchen because I couldn't sleep with that sound.
The white noise machine I use at night has a sound called Clock. It is that slow clicking sound, amplified 100x. I can’t imagine using that noise to sleep to.

Our kitchen one with the battery is totally silent. This one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LRHYMYO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The grandfather clock, which does tick with the weights, is far removed from the bedroom area, silent there in the sleeping area also. I hate a clock ticking sound when trying to sleep also.

I agree as mentioned above clocks that chime. Any of the clocks I have owned over the years that chime indicate you can ONLY move the hands forward (not back) and have to pause at each 1/4 hour to allow it to 'catch up' and cycle through the chime sequence. Changing the battery is also a good idea since they only last about 1 year, so to do that during the time change makes sense and is easy to remember.

I have seen that happen, a weak battery allowing the second hand to rise only to maybe the number 8, then gravity was too much for it to go any higher. Either that or space aliens are causing it, like in The Twilight Zone episode “The Monsters are Due on Maple Street”.

So, in changing our clocks last night, I somehow caused one to become "fussy" - the second hand gets to a point where it's trying to tick forward, but stopping. It's not the battery. I thought maybe I just jostled something and one hand was catching on another or something, so I took it down to check, and realized the weird thing. - It works fine when it's flat on the counter, but stops at a certain point when it's hung on the wall. What on earth could I have done to it??

It's probably the spring. Take the clock down and turn turn all the hands around 12 hours again. Maybe it will reset the hands mechanisms and clear whatever is sticking.

I've been taught to always move the hands forward not backward.

::yes::

I've been taught to always move the hands forward not backward.

Depends on the clock. A lot of those cheapie ones (with a plastic movement case) will have a double-sided arrow (on the case or dial) to indicate that it's safe to adjust in either direction. Obviously there are some clocks with complex gearing that can be damaged by moving them backwards.

Yea for me and my Mickey Mouse Club clock it was always the weak battery. I'd save the batteries for something else like my mouse to still use them after the clock didn't like them anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter