Weird Disney Quirks?

Not really a quirk, but more of a tradition. Since we stay at BW all the time, the first thing I have to do is go to the UK and have a half and half. Then I feel like I'm truly on vacation. I also like to see illuminations my last night. We gover the holidays, so seeing the finale with let there be peace really brings home the Christmas spirit.

We always go to the Garden Grille for dinner on our first night. Started doing this when my daughter was a toddler and now she's in college. There are other restaurants I'd like to try on our first night but my dd always says "Noooooo, it's a tradition!" and we end up at GG. We always request a booth, even if it means a longer wait. The booth is a tradition too lol.

On our first full day we always have Mickey waffles for breakfast.

On all our trips we've always gone to MK on our first day there and always first thing in the morning. However, on our most recent trip (a few weeks ago), it was our first summer visit and we only went to MK at night. That felt weird!

I have to buy a balloon....even though we have no kids, and they are expensive. I just want one to bounce around the room.

I'm weird, and my hubby puts up with me. :)
Balloon question:
What happens when you get to the airport with balloons? Do they let you bring them on the plane?
I love balloons and buy them for my family members when it's their birthdays.
I've never bought one at Disney because I knew I couldn't take it home.
But I guess just having it bounce around the room would be fun. But I know I would be sad leaving it behind.
I tend to like to get a plushy. But usually buy it at home and just pack it.
Although I've been considering getting a bigger one this next trip. Wonder if that counts as my "person item" if I can't fit it in my carry on.
LOL Was considering a Duffy since DH is leaving a couple days before me.

Thought of a couple more must do:
Rice Crispy Hidden Mickey on a stick
piece of jewelry. Even if the inexpensive stuff. My twin hidden mickey ring is a favorite. As well as my silver castle Alex and Ani.
DH usually buys a polo shirt with Mickey on it or a Hawaiian shirt.

Balloon question:
What happens when you get to the airport with balloons? Do they let you bring them on the plane?
But I guess just having it bounce around the room would be fun. But I know I would be sad leaving it behind.

We buy it, then the last morning I deflate it carefully and take it home. I have a small party helium tank...I reinflate it home...it is tricky. I have experience blowing up balloons at my previous job.

I have to have a pretzels every day we are in the parks... I don't know why (besides they're awesome) it's just a tradition now.

One of my quirks used to be to ALWAYS eat at Toy Story Pizza Planet at Hollywood Studios. I did that for the longest time (I like the pizza and vague ambiance).

An occasional quirk is to grab a peanut butter and jelly shake from the 50's Prime Time Cafe at the bar.
I had it when i was with my family the one and only time I've actually sat and ate there, and ever since I just go get the shake at the bar. It's the only place I know that makes it and it's delicious. But I usually have to get it as I'm leaving the park, because drinking that big shake isn't the best for your stomach. You (or I) feel frozen and bloated for a bit.

Our "quirks":
Taking a 6:00am flight arrival day jump on DME drop off luggage at bell services or room (if it's ready) and head straight over to MK to see Mickey at Town Square Theatre!
Ohana for dinner the first night
Yak and Yeti Lunch
Magic Kingdom on last day

That's all I can think of now but I'm sure I'll come up with more later.

Agree with starting your DIS trip with MK! I also have to end my trip with MK. Do SM and TM one last time...

Even the smells of the park I love, call me weird...

I sit in the monorail or HM or the EPCOT ball and go mmmmmm musty smells!!! Smells like DIS!

Only 2...always go to MK the first day regardless of arrival day or crowd calendars or anything else. Second, I have to get a new Mickey plush every trip.

We don't really have any specific traditions or quirks but we do arrive knowing where dinner will be and that meal is really when it feels like we made it.

my daughter on the other hand MUST unpack everything and move in to feel like she's there.

I always have to visit the Backlot Express restaurant in DHS. It's where I spent my days in the college program and it brings back a lot of great memories. I guess I will just have to wait and see if the restaurant makes it through whatever big changes are coming up for the park.

I can't believe We're actually breaking one of our own Disney Quirks in 2 weeks.

This will be the 1st time on any trip that we will not be eating at 50's P/T cafe.....:confused::sad: Sad & bummed.....

We've always had nothing but great Cousins there, and very good meals....12 times I believe we've eaten here.

Why the change? Now you have me curious!

Dan

We always go to MK first. We have breakfast at CP on our first full day in the MK. We always go meet Mickey in MK on that first day too. We always end our trip at the MK. I also try to get pics of my kids on sitting on the bench in front of the Tiger Tree at AK (although the last trip it didn't happen; it was always way to crowded in that area). I may have to drop that one.

Quirks:
  • Just gotta flash the “hang loose” hand sign for the photo at the start of Rock ‘n Roller Coaster! (our whole family does this)
  • I’m not much of a morning person, but am quirkily happy to get up in the morning at Disney!
  • I drink Monster Low Carb energy drinks while there. I don’t really have these anywhere but Disney. …just too blazing hot for coffee.

Traditions: (too many to list them all, but some that come to mind…)
  • Arrival day is Epcot. (open later than HS and AK, and want to save MK for our first full day). First major ride is Soarin. Totally sets the WDW mood for me.
  • Last full day is MK. It’s always bitter sweet when leaving at park closing. Sweet because we’re normally pretty tired by that point, but mostly bitter because we know our stay is over, and so is all the care free fun we’ve been having the past week+.
  • Cape May’s on our HS day. A unanimous family fav. Coral Reef at Epcot. Food is truly hit or miss, but the theming makes it worth it. (we always request to be seated in a booth across from the aquarium)
  • Not sure why, but we always seem to get a fruit bar in AK by Expedition Everest.
  • Gotta see the MK opening show at least once during our stay! (Didn't know about this until we saw it on our first MK day ever. Holds a special place for us)
Dan

Balloon question:
I tend to like to get a plushy. But usually buy it at home and just pack it.
Although I've been considering getting a bigger one this next trip. Wonder if that counts as my "person item" if I can't fit it in my carry on.
LOL Was considering a Duffy since DH is leaving a couple days before me.

Thought of a couple more must do:
Rice Crispy Hidden Mickey on a stick
piece of jewelry. Even if the inexpensive stuff. My twin hidden mickey ring is a favorite. As well as my silver castle Alex and Ani.
DH usually buys a polo shirt with Mickey on it or a Hawaiian shirt.

Saw on another thread that some people hand the balloons off to a family checking in as they are leaving-I think that's kinda sweet and may consider this for our next trip.

DS reminded me that it is mandatory to eat at least one Mickey shaped food while there. He told his GF that if you don't they kick you out, lol.

Why the change? Now you have me curious!

Dan

It's got nothing to do with the past, for this is truly my favorite place....Love the Sampler platter, and a nice PB&J shake to wash it down.

This year the whole immediate family is going with us for the 2nd leg of this upcoming trip. My Nephew will be turning 3 on our HS day, so we scheduled a birthday breakfast at H&V ( he loves DocMcstuffins & Jake ) but he truly loves all things about cars....So much so, that as theyre on TV or just driving by in the street, he knows, what make and model they are.....* well at least the sportscars..LoL

So that being said, 50's P/T is taking a back seat---(pun Intended) to the Sci Fi theater ( which he'll be able to dine in the CARS..)

Don'tget me wrong, I do like Sci FI, but I absolutely LOVE 50's...

We arrive at MCO by 9:30 am so we can check into Board Walk and get to the Rose & Crown by 11:30 when the taps open, see our First Morning tradition below. Other than that, we have a drink or three on the porch of the Belle Vue Lounge multiple times per visit and I have a coffee and a cigar on the bench by Atlantic Dance every morning by 6:15 am, weather permitting.

Bill From PA

My family has to go to MK on both the day we arrive and the day we leave. When we first get to Magic Kingdom, we always start with Adventureland and go left. Pirates is usually our first ride. We also have to eat at Crystal Palace for Mom. She loves Winnie the Pooh. I also wear my ears every day we are done there. I pack them in my carry on so I can put them on as soon as possible. I know have 4 different pairs!

Always ride Spaceship Earth first thing the first day that we visit Epcot.
Always get a candied apple at MK.
O'hana or Cape May Dinner once a trip.
Boma or Crystal Palace Breakfast once a trip.
Beef Noodle Soup in China, dessert in France.
Narrate with an Aussie accent (like Steve Irwin) when I take videos at AK.

Last edited:
When I go to MK with my brother we have to do it's a small world again near closing time

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter