• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Weird Next Door Interaction

The people begging for money via GoFundMe is unbelievable on Nextdoor. Did research on one of the beggars on their Facebook page and they were in Disney! One gentleman routinely asks if someone can go out and get him a couple of gallons of milk for his kids. One lady asked that someone bring her a covid test and drop it off on her porch. One lady needed a notary, people gave her a lot of suggestions. I offered to meet her at a local Panera and I would notarize her document. She responded by saying that she needed me to come to her home and that she wouldn't be paying me. I wouldn't have charged her anyway, but some people make it so inconvenient for you to help them.

The people begging for money via GoFundMe is unbelievable on Nextdoor. Did research on one of the beggars on their Facebook page and they were in Disney! One gentleman routinely asks if someone can go out and get him a couple of gallons of milk for his kids. One lady asked that someone bring her a covid test and drop it off on her porch. One lady needed a notary, people gave her a lot of suggestions. I offered to meet her at a local Panera and I would notarize her document. She responded by saying that she needed me to come to her home and that she wouldn't be paying me. I wouldn't have charged her anyway, but some people make it so inconvenient for you to help them.
It's called grifters. Don't get sucked in. It's sad because it makes you question peoples' motives when there are genuinely people out there who do need help. I won't donate to a GFM, too many scams. GFM doesn't really care because they get a percentage of the donations. I'll donate/help the person directly.

Wow. Some people have a lot of nerve! I discovered my bank does provides notary services for free. We had already paid but it’s good to know.

5. Coyotes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Followed by - my outdoor cat is missing.
Right? Between our area’s several large birds of prey, and the coyotes, bobcats, mountain lions, and even rattlesnakes, if your lost, small, normally-indoor pet is found and returned to you alive, you should be thanking every God in the universe and heck, the universe itself, for that real and true miracle. You and said pet are well & truly blessed!

6. What kind of snake is this? Usually a picture of a rat snake that is expertly identified as a deadly copperheaded rattle moccasin by everyone on the site.
Are you quite sure it’s not the even-deadlier Cotton-headed Coppery Water Rattler? I’ve heard those things will lie in wait and just attack-strike from 20 feet away! My third-from-the-left, across-the-street neighbor’s ex-wife’s cousin’s drill instructor’s mother told someone it might be true. So, is it? :rotfl2:
and an honorable mention to the gentleman who is convinced that the coyotes are actually wolves. He shows up a couple of times a year and rants for days about how we have packs of wolves running around our city (in southern Alabama).
You could really play with him and tell him they’re “coy-wolves” then sit back and popcorn::
Another honorable mention to the folks who bought all the new houses in the path of our little tiny airport who can't figure out why the city doesn't put a stop to all the planes taking off and landing, it's sooooooooo noisy.
Around here we have a similar phenomenon.
There’s a pretty large Air Force base here, and it’s semi-centrally located in our city. TONS of new houses in the flight paddle. And I know for a fact that every single house that is rented or sold has to sign a disclosure (it’s a county ordinance) stating that they are entering a contract to rent/buy a house in the flight path of many DOZENS of fighter jets, cargo planes and the occasional helicopter coming and going daily. This doesn’t even count the hundred or so flights every day out of our international airport.

Yet every time it’s cloudy, there are sooo many complaints about the fighter jets in particular:
  • Why do they have to fly so low? (They’re not really that low.)
  • Why are they flying so fast? (It’s physics, if they go slower, they’ll fall on your house. :upsidedow)
  • Why are they so loud? or Why did they make the planes louder? (The planes are the same volume. But the clouds serve to insulate the sound, reflecting it back to the ground and preventing it from dissipating skyward)
  • Why are the jets flying today? (They fly every single day of the year. AF pilots have to be in the air so many hours a month or they lose their flight status. They also can’t go more than 2 weeks with no flight time at all.)
And just for good measure:
  • What is in the giant C-5 (or C-17) cargo plane? (No idea… Pretty sure the flight manifests are classified. 🤷‍♀️)
  • Where are the choppers headed? Why did 2/3/5 big helicopters just fly off to the North/South/East/West? (I’m still not getting those memos. Maybe I need to write my congressman and see if I can get included in those briefings 😜)

Last edited:
The Nextdoor thread talking about the herd of cows roaming our neighborhood in suburbia is now up to 32 replies. People have lots of feelings about this. Somebody finally mentioned that how about everybody get mad at the buttheads who are cutting the barbed wire fence to bust into the ranch land so they can ride their ATVs on private property. The collective decision is finally after a week that everyone should call the local police the next time it happens. LOL.

The Nextdoor thread talking about the herd of cows roaming our neighborhood in suburbia is now up to 32 replies. People have lots of feelings about this. Somebody finally mentioned that how about everybody get mad at the buttheads who are cutting the barbed wire fence to bust into the ranch land so they can ride their ATVs on private property. The collective decision is finally after a week that everyone should call the local police the next time it happens. LOL.
What a novel idea. 🤦‍♀️🤣

In my neighborhood's latest Nextdoor drama, if the wandering cows wasn't enough, somebody posted Ring security camera pics of a pack of bored teenage boys running around the 'hood in the middle of the afternoon banging super loud on people's doors and freaking them out.

Some people were triggered by this and publicly shamed the OP for posting photos of the hooligans. Other people said the ding dong ditchers should be careful since lots of people in this state have guns at home. Other people said that the police have said that this is what a lot of burglars do...ring your doorbell or knock and when you don't answer, sneak into the backyard in order to break in and rob you.

The thread is up to 72 replies now. People appear to have feelings about it. :-)

In my neighborhood's latest Nextdoor drama, if the wandering cows wasn't enough, somebody posted Ring security camera pics of a pack of bored teenage boys running around the 'hood in the middle of the afternoon banging super loud on people's doors and freaking them out.

Some people were triggered by this and publicly shamed the OP for posting photos of the hooligans. Other people said the ding dong ditchers should be careful since lots of people in this state have guns at home. Other people said that the police have said that this is what a lot of burglars do...ring your doorbell or knock and when you don't answer, sneak into the backyard in order to break in and rob you.

The thread is up to 72 replies now. People appear to have feelings about it. :-)
There's a lot of ding dong ditch that's been cropping up in recent months. The one 2 days ago has 91 replies on it. That said it was 4am and the family has young kids. The ditchers are assuredly high school age by the video (and by most common situations).

Some however have had their homes damaged by kicks to the door, one hard enough to mess with the hinges.

As far as breaking in years back there was two minors who were breaking into people's homes to steal of all things alcohol, they would break into homes with walk out basements breaking the sliding door glass only one time they did it when a woman was home with her daughter. Dumb move on their part as it increased their charges. They were caught shortly thereafter after a short but well attended by police manhunt which was started because of the woman and child being home.

I would be tempted to ask if anyone has considered the feelings of the cows.:stir:

For awhile, the Nextdoor posts in my neighborhood were nutty enough that I started doing once a week posts on my Facebook page (which is restricted to only my 'friends' can read it) which I called "This week's news headlights from the MUNN - the Messed Up News Network." :rotfl2: Always changed the names from the original posters on Nextdoor, of course. :-)

In our neck of the woods "gunshots" are usually fireworks (we're in the burbs, downtown you might hear some gunshots) and for some reason people experience explosions that shake their house...this is likely some blasting for construction projects.
Where I live, gunshots are . . . gunshots. I live in the mountains, people don't need a reason to shoot, they just like to shoot. When we first moved here, I called the police about gunshots on the lane below our house. The 911 dispatcher said, "Guess you're new up there, huh? You'll get used to it." We did.

:rolleyes: As someone who had a development built next to our farm I can answer some of these ...

1. You heard gunshots? Well, that could have been us. Or the farm across the way. Or the shooting range down the road the police have...or you know - it could be because it's hunting season because you moved to a rural hunting-centric area????????
2. Feral Cat? No, that's my barn cat. The one you keep feeding even though I asked you not to. The one you keep calling animal control on to catch/ wand when you see him walking thru my fields - and oh! surprise! his chip says he lives here...yeah, that healthy/chipped/well fed & vaccinated cat lives in my barn.
3. The screams? It's the foxes, they do that.
4. That smell? It's horses & chicken farms.
5. Strange car in the neighborhood? Try driving a combine with some yahoo tailgating you, beeping their horn and whipping around you dangerously.
6. Someone need a piece of heavy equipment to do something quick around the house? We can help!
7. Snow pile up? Long driveway? We have a loader, we'll be happy to help!
8. Trying to save the neighborhood $$ and need the open spaces bush hogged in the spring - sure, we can help with that
I might post if it was a pig farm 🤣

Signed, NC girl ha ha ha

Now, I love animals, but my favorite NextDoor posts are for the found pets. Those helpful people who make the mistake of posting on ND that they have found a lost pet are consistently asked if they (1) are feeding it, (2j are providing it with shelter, (3j have taken it to a vet/police station/shelter to be scanned for a chip, (4) posted its picture on another missing pet website. And if it is sick or injured, you better be getting it medical care or face the wrath of NextDoor. People have jobs, children, responsibilities, but the ND people assume it’s no big deal for people to open their wallet and put their life on hold to care for a pet that someone else can’t keep track of. Thankfully, if I would find a lost pet, I live in a small village with a police department that would search for the owner and, if not located, take the pet to the county shelter.

Recently, someone found a lost/dumped dog, posted it on ND, then took it to the county shelter. Someone actually criticized the poster for not keeping the dog longer! The poster went out of her way to take this dog to the shelter, but because she hadn’t allowed this to disrupt her life enough, she received a snarky comment.

Last edited:
So I went on today and like the rest of you: 6 gunshots that nobody else heard, 5 lost/found pets, and Gofundmes galore. People are the same everywhere.

Although, we only have street parking in my neighborhood. Someone had their car hit so I replied ours was hit not long ago and my neighbor's was totaled. So that was interesting.

I have never used next door. Other than what I’ve gleaned from the few posts I’ve read, it sounds like Facebook for neighbours. I’ll just stick to Facebook. My community has a couple of facebook pages and I get information from that. Our dysfunctional school board made regional news last year (The Globe) but other than that, the most intense discussion last year were people (like me) complaining about the idiot cyclists not following the rules of the road. I live in a hippie semi-rural town at the base of a mountain. Mostly liberals and bookish types. Not much happens here.

I have never used next door. Other than what I’ve gleaned from the few posts I’ve read, it sounds like Facebook for neighbours. I’ll just stick to Facebook. My community has a couple of facebook pages and I get information from that. Our dysfunctional school board made regional news last year (The Globe) but other than that, the most intense discussion last year were people (like me) complaining about the idiot cyclists not following the rules of the road. I live in a hippie semi-rural town at the base of a mountain. Mostly liberals and bookish types. Not much happens here.
Maybe you can be the drama. 😉

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter