Weird room check

MushuHill

Mouseketeer
I have been to Disney several times since they have started the daily room checks. Usually they come in and take your trash out and glance at the room. This week we had a cast member knock on the door and ask if it was a good time to check the room. I told him it was fine. He walked in, didn’t take the overflowing trash, looked all around including in the bathroom and under the sink. I thought it was super strange, but then I logged into my phone and saw there was a shooting in Orlando the night prior and the suspect was still at large. I wonder if that was the reason for the super weird room check?

Doesn’t seem weird to me. Maybe it depends on the resort. We’ve had a few room checks, never had them take the trash. And they did look in the bathroom. There are so many shootings in Orlando area, I doubt that makes Disney change their routines very often.
Room checks have nothing to do with guns, you can put enough guns in a suitcase to start a small rebellion. It is all about protecting their assets from theft and damage, and people putting more than the allowed amount of people in a room.

If you read threads from 4 or so years ago when these room checks began, you’ll see that going into the bathroom and looking under sinks is not weird at all. Lol.

It was mostly the norm at the values and moderates where the bathrooms are located at the back of your room.

Insurance policy insures WDW is checking. Helps with any law suits

CM are looking for :
Drugs... You can not smoke MJ on private property
Selling drugs
Manufacturing drugs... Yes that has happened
Guns
Human trafficking ..again , yes here also
Room occupancy limit

I go about 5 times a year. I usually stay in DVC points and they come in and grab the trash from room and bathroom. It is really nice since DVC does not offer daily cleaning. This time I was at All Star sports. The sink doesn’t even have doors that go to the floor, just a countertop sink. He straight got down and looked up under our sink like we taped a firearm under it. It was very different than any experience I have ever had. We were sitting at the table eating pizza and Gideon’s cookies when he came in.

I have been to Disney several times since they have started the daily room checks. Usually they come in and take your trash out and glance at the room. This week we had a cast member knock on the door and ask if it was a good time to check the room. I told him it was fine. He walked in, didn’t take the overflowing trash, looked all around including in the bathroom and under the sink. I thought it was super strange, but then I logged into my phone and saw there was a shooting in Orlando the night prior and the suspect was still at large. I wonder if that was the reason for the super weird room check?
What you experienced is how most of the room checks have been handled.

Has nothing to do with guns, never did. It's an issue that they won't talk about - HT.

It is something only Disney hotel guests have to deal with. We chose to move offsite when it started. Now the prices basically keep us offsite but at least we don't have room checks. I'm staying on in Sept a few days to go to MNSSHP and have a bus at the end of the night after party ... I think we'll be gone most the days at parks and won't have to deal with it. Note: I never let them in the room with us there.

Insurance policy insures WDW is checking. Helps with any law suits

CM are looking for :
Drugs... You can not smoke MJ on private property
Selling drugs
Manufacturing drugs... Yes that has happened
Guns
Human trafficking ..again , yes here also
Room occupancy limit
I see the “checking for human trafficking” theory quite regularly, but I would be amazed if human traffickers would pay WDW hotel prices while traveling with their victims when there are lots of vastly cheaper motels not far away. And even if the kidnappers did want to treat their captives to a WDW resort stay for some reason, what would the CM be looking for to identify suspected human trafficking? Adults whose race seems to be different from the kids who are with them? I guarantee Disney is not going to open that can of worms.

I see the “checking for human trafficking” theory quite regularly, but I would be amazed if human traffickers would pay WDW hotel prices while traveling with their victims when there are lots of vastly cheaper motels not far away. And even if the kidnappers did want to treat their captives to a WDW resort stay for some reason, what would the CM be looking for to identify suspected human trafficking? Adults whose race seems to be different from the kids who are with them? I guarantee Disney is not going to open that can of worms.
You are assuming that human trafficking only happens in seedy environments, where low amounts of money are exchanged. SADLY many involved in this are wealthy and a place like Disney provides all the cover that they need. Disney is often the first name that comes up in investigative reporting and discussions on the problem in Florida. It is an international location where thousands come and go daily. The transportation system makes it easy for an individual to travel to a hotel without a car and return to their family easily. These people will pay large amounts of money that would make a room price nothing.

Housekeeping staff can be trained to see all the red flags. One reason we had a huge issue with them is we trigger red flags. We are two or three adults registered in the room. BUT DS#1 is disabled so my room has children's books, hot wheels, plush, etc ... but no registered child. With the key system the hotel knows when you are in your room. They could easily always do room checks when empty, but too often they insist on seeing the room while guests are inside. That is likely because they want eyes on the guests.

A room check can see children's items or clothing but no child is registered to the room. Another trigger would be certain types of small clothing inappropriate for a child. Certain personal toiletry items. Actually having very few suitcases or personal items. Computers, pagers, card swiping equipment. Excessive amounts of alcohol. Any adult paraphernalia. Refusing cleaning and Do Not Disturb Signs.

Disney continuing to do these checks has likely kept the resort less susceptible to the activity. The worse PR for Disney would be for them part of any story.

I have been in the room twice this week when the room check happened, and neither time did he take the trash. I thought the room checkers and mousekeepers were two separate sets of people.

Our weirdest room check was when I opened the door, he glanced in and saw me and my kids, and said he would be outside for 15 seconds. He inserted his key thing in the door, flipped the safety latch so the door wouldn't close, stood outside the door for presumably 15 seconds, knocked again and said he was finished, allowed the door to close, and left.

I guess they have to log 15 seconds in each room.

Another day he did the expected walk to the bathroom while glancing around before doing a u-turn and leaving.

I wish the room check people took trash. Every time I have seen one they come in and walk into the bathroom and flush the toilet. Then leave. Whole time their head is turning side to side surveying the room. Once the lady started to come in when I opened the door and saw my teen sleeping and said she would come back another time. Usually I’m at Pop

Room checks have nothing to do with guns, you can put enough guns in a suitcase to start a small rebellion. It is all about protecting their assets from theft and damage, and people putting more than the allowed amount of people in a room.

The OP asked if a shooting in Orlando had anything to do with her particular “weird” room check. That’s what I was responding to. Not debating why room checks are done in general.

Some of the CMs are like that and skip the service part. We had one housekeeping room checker throw some real attitude at us when we asked them to take the trash last May during a room check. Almost like they wanted to work security but ended up in housekeeping 🙄

I go about 5 times a year. I usually stay in DVC points and they come in and grab the trash from room and bathroom. It is really nice since DVC does not offer daily cleaning. This time I was at All Star sports. The sink doesn’t even have doors that go to the floor, just a countertop sink. He straight got down and looked up under our sink like we taped a firearm under it. It was very different than any experience I have ever had. We were sitting at the table eating pizza and Gideon’s cookies when he came in.
😂 on the list Disney jobs I wouldn’t want- under sink checker. My knees would rebel by the end of day 1!

When they come knocking for a room check without a bag to take out the trash I tell them it's the least they could do and to come back with a trash bag, many times they had bags on them

They actually have everything to do with guns. Hotels (not just Disney) started doing daily room checks after the Las Vegas shooting a few years ago. They are making sure there isn't someone holed up with an arsenal in the room.

They actually have everything to do with guns. Hotels (not just Disney) started doing daily room checks after the Las Vegas shooting a few years ago. They are making sure there isn't someone holed up with an arsenal in the room.
I’d be 0% surprised to learn Disney- or a guest- found one taped under a sink once, left by another guest. And a result was this change in room check procedures, finally giving the room checker something to do with their 15 seconds.

You are assuming that human trafficking only happens in seedy environments, where low amounts of money are exchanged. SADLY many involved in this are wealthy and a place like Disney provides all the cover that they need. Disney is often the first name that comes up in investigative reporting and discussions on the problem in Florida. It is an international location where thousands come and go daily. The transportation system makes it easy for an individual to travel to a hotel without a car and return to their family easily. These people will pay large amounts of money that would make a room price nothing.

Housekeeping staff can be trained to see all the red flags. One reason we had a huge issue with them is we trigger red flags. We are two or three adults registered in the room. BUT DS#1 is disabled so my room has children's books, hot wheels, plush, etc ... but no registered child. With the key system the hotel knows when you are in your room. They could easily always do room checks when empty, but too often they insist on seeing the room while guests are inside. That is likely because they want eyes on the guests.

A room check can see children's items or clothing but no child is registered to the room. Another trigger would be certain types of small clothing inappropriate for a child. Certain personal toiletry items. Actually having very few suitcases or personal items. Computers, pagers, card swiping equipment. Excessive amounts of alcohol. Any adult paraphernalia. Refusing cleaning and Do Not Disturb Signs.

Disney continuing to do these checks has likely kept the resort less susceptible to the activity. The worse PR for Disney would be for them part of any story.
That’s terrible. What did you have to do to prove you were not human traffickers when they confronted you after spotting the children’s books?

And yet nobody is as rude or inconsiderate as Disney is in my travels. They don’t pound on the door repeatedly when you’re napping, even after you asked them to come back later (15 mins ain’t later!). They don’t demand entry when you’re half naked just out of the shower because “they’ve already tried to do the room check today”. Those hotels have the common sense to go into the room in the hours you aren’t there so you don’t even notice them.

Ultimately I feel bad for the housekeeping staff at Disney, even if I’m annoyed when they don’t want to take my trash. No way would I want their job at Disney. It’s SO unsafe to have to go into guest rooms while guests are there and Disney has no system or policies in place to keep them safe by maximizing their chances of not running into guests. I’m gone from my room for hours every day at Disney and yet I constantly run into this room check in the afternoons. Good lord what if some housekeeper encountered an actual bad person?! Disney’s policies have them incredibly vulnerable, making them get on the ground to look under a sink or walk into a bathroom with strangers present in the room 🤦🏻‍♀️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter