Welcome, Foolish Muggles! IoA/US/MK/SW *July 2013 Trip Report Link*

:goodvibesHiya I'm here and think it all sounds great Dee. Cant wait to hear all about it (especially HRH). Loving all your plans :thumbsup2 Life's a bit crazy at the minute so if I don't catch up again have a great time and tell all when you get back

Spiderman = :love:
Minion Mayham is fun but don't forget the Bonine!
Twister is worth at least 1 trip.

In April, we did 2 days at UO/IOA(1st time) and then went to MK on Day 3 and started in Fantasyland and let's just say there was almost a revolt from DS & DH (I believe we were on Winnie the Pooh when DS said-"This time yesterday I was on Spiderman- really!":confused:"

I also got to watch Wishes on Main St for the 1st time :love:

I look forward to how you handle the fastpass enforcement!

This is what keeps Disney interesting to us - trying new things combined with old favorites.

Love trying new resorts. Can't wait to see your review. I'm always trying to talk my family into visiting the "dark side," but with little ones, everyone seems to think there is not enough to entertain them there.

This sounds like so much fun!

We are trying Test Track for the first time this summer.

Great list of things to try at BC this summer. I haven't done the last two either, although I definitely want to try a Sunken Treasure.

Sounds like a great trip with lots of new things to do/see. :)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

My boys are at great ages for "The Theme Park Which Must Not Be Named". Even two years ago, at age 10, there was a lot of stuff that was too intense for Ben. Right now he is claiming to be more open to some new stuff (even at Disney he has never done RnR and his only trip on EE was 5 years ago, so we are glad he is planning on trying again).

Not to say there isn't stuff for little ones to do at the "dark side" but I definitely recommend waiting until 1) Harry Potter obsession has set in and 2) there is a willingness to ride some extreme coasters.

I am so sick of that question! And yes every year we return there is always something new to see or do. That's why we all love the place. Like I say- some people just don't get it.

So happy you're staying at Hard Rock. that is the only one we've stayed at and when I suggested another last yr. DH said no I'm good with HRH.

My DS16 is excited about Transformers.

Despicable Me is a really cute movie! Even though its not Disney.

We've eaten at that restaurant near Jurassic park it was good.

We were in line for like 45 min. For TT before it broke down. :( So yes I hope you make it on. We got anytime/ any day FP out of it though :)

Loved your deep dark secrets!

I leave in 12 days woohoo :)

I'm very excited about the Hard Rock!

Transformers opens today and Al Roker is reporting the weather for the Today show from there. Just interviewed Steven Spielberg who helped create the ride. Can't wait (but again, I need to see the movie so I know the general storyline of what is going on)

Wishing you a fantastic visit to Florida!

Looking forward to a new trip report. I've enjoyed reading your previous ones. We're currently planning a Universal/Disney trip next year (haven't been to Uni since the late 90's) so I'll be carefully following along ;-)

Thank you so much for the kind words. Can't wait to write the new trip report. It's kind of addictive! :lmao:

I'll have plenty of details!!!

:goodvibesHiya I'm here and think it all sounds great Dee. Cant wait to hear all about it (especially HRH). Loving all your plans :thumbsup2 Life's a bit crazy at the minute so if I don't catch up again have a great time and tell all when you get back

Thanks for popping in. I know you have lots going on! I look forward to catching up with you.

Spiderman = :love:
Minion Mayham is fun but don't forget the Bonine!
Twister is worth at least 1 trip.

In April, we did 2 days at UO/IOA(1st time) and then went to MK on Day 3 and started in Fantasyland and let's just say there was almost a revolt from DS & DH (I believe we were on Winnie the Pooh when DS said-"This time yesterday I was on Spiderman- really!":confused:"

I also got to watch Wishes on Main St for the 1st time :love:

I look forward to how you handle the fastpass enforcement!

Glad to hear your endorsement of Spiderman. I don't have a lot of recollection about it from my single ride.

Bonine is already packed and family is prepared to take it on our Universal/IoA days.

We are all starting to get really excited for the trip. Even the teenager keeps saying "I can't wait for our vacation. Even the Disney part" :rotfl2:

Right. The fast pass enforcement. I forgot to mention that in my pre-trip "new" experiences. I think I am blocking it out. I'm interested, too, in how this will work for us.

PS- I see your ticker says you have an upcoming visit to HHI- MEK just started a trip report about her recent visit- on this subforum, not DVC. "I told you driving was bad for your health" Not sure if I have read any other HHI reports.

I forgot another new thing!!!

We are doing Universal Photo Connect. Think... Photopass Plus for the Dark Side. For $40, you can get all ride photos and in-park photos (although a lot fewer opportunities than you find at Disney), I think in a 5 consecutive day period, so that will be great for our 3 1/2 day trip.

Will go back and edit my list.

We are doing Universal Photo Connect. Think... Photopass Plus for the Dark Side. For $40, you can get all ride photos and in-park photos (although a lot fewer opportunities than you find at Disney), I think in a 5 consecutive day period, so that will be great for our 3 1/2 day trip.

Wow $40 that's cheap!! I've never heard of that before. Very cool. :)

We did this and it is quite cool. You also get either an 8x10 or 5x7 print of your favorite pic. The only thing that you need to remember is that you have to have the photoconnect people add on the special effects to the photos. It can take a while so I suggest stopping each day to let them do them because waiting until the end will take a long time!

I'll have my trusty Panasonic Lumix point & shoot, I purchased a Fuji Finepix XP60 for Ben to use and as a backup in case the Lumix dies AND I have my first DSLR, a Canon Rebel T3.

I just bought an XP60 (at Costco for $40 bucks off, baybee), okay well, I asked for it for Father's Day and bought it and then the wife and kids hid it from me until Father's Day... but aaaanyway....I'm hoping that it really does work for underwater shots, for snorkeling. Have you heard if it's really good for that? Is it leakproof?!

I just bought an XP60 (at Costco for $40 bucks off, baybee), okay well, I asked for it for Father's Day and bought it and then the wife and kids hid it from me until Father's Day... but aaaanyway....I'm hoping that it really does work for underwater shots, for snorkeling. Have you heard if it's really good for that? Is it leakproof?!

Bad, bad consumer!!! I haven't read any reviews yet. Gonna go do that now.

I purchased mine (Sam's Club) somewhat as an impulse. Needed a backup underwater camera, haven't tried this brand yet, the yellow one looked really cool. I just saw that it goes on sale at Sam's next week ($40 off) :furious:, so I may have to see if they will refund the discount or I "may" purchase another and return the one I.JUST.OPENED!

The lock on the camera is different (more rugged) than other waterproofs I have had, including the Lumix.

I'll test the waterproof features in the pool next week and in Florida in about 3 weeks. Not sure if I will be snorkeling before February, but I'll certainly keep you posted on any results.

ETA: Just read some reviews. Looks good so far!

Bad, bad consumer!!! I haven't read any reviews yet. Gonna go do that now.

I purchased mine (Sam's Club) somewhat as an impulse. Needed a backup underwater camera, haven't tried this brand yet, the yellow one looked really cool. I just saw that it goes on sale at Sam's next week ($40 off) :furious:, so I may have to see if they will refund the discount or I "may" purchase another and return the one I.JUST.OPENED!

The lock on the camera is different (more rugged) than other waterproofs I have had, including the Lumix.

I'll test the waterproof features in the pool next week and in Florida in about 3 weeks. Not sure if I will be snorkeling before February, but I'll certainly keep you posted on any results.

ETA: Just read some reviews. Looks good so far!

I'm sure Sams'll give you the discount, especially when you threaten to return the opened package. I read some reviews too, that looked pretty good, but I trust your judgment even more!

ETA: I did get the yellow one! I thought that it would be easier to spot if I lost it in a pool. :lmao:

I'm sure Sams'll give you the discount, especially when you threaten to return the opened package. I read some reviews too, that looked pretty good, but I trust your judgment even more!

ETA: I did get the yellow one! I thought that it would be easier to spot if I lost it in a pool. :lmao:

You are right, I had a couple of blue waterproof cameras and they do not stand out when you are underwater.

If you don't have one yet, get a floating strap.

Speaking of waterproof cameras...I bought the Panasonic Lumix. A few people recommended it to me. Tom and I have agreed that we're going to be much more reluctant to use it underwater although I would still take it to the pool for pictures. Maybe without submerging it. They do say you should replace the seals annually so maybe that was the problem with my last waterproof camera? :confused:

Amanda

Speaking of waterproof cameras...I bought the Panasonic Lumix. A few people recommended it to me. Tom and I have agreed that we're going to be much more reluctant to use it underwater although I would still take it to the pool for pictures. Maybe without submerging it. They do say you should replace the seals annually so maybe that was the problem with my last waterproof camera? :confused:

Amanda

Congrats!!!

I have seen the recommendation about changing the seals every year, but are there even still camera stores around where you can get this done, or do you have to send the camera out?

I figure the annual price to do this would probably be about half of the cost of the camera, so I don't bother. Then again, I have had to replace 4-5 underwater cameras since 2008.

As you know, I am a huge fan of waterproof cameras. I love that I don't have to baby it when it rains or on water rides or at the beach. I don't have to leave it behind on a beach chair or use a locker when I go into the water.

I have used these cameras at Atlantis on two trips, water parks, the beach, tropical/snorkeling vacations, on wet Disney/Universal rides and in torrential rain on last June's class trip, where I decided to do a "Wet World Showcase" series of photos.

Here are my tips for dealing with this type of camera:

Don't be afraid to submerge the camera, but do have a back-up (regular) camera so you are not SOL if the camera leaks at an inopportune time.

Get a floating strap!

DON'T open the camera to change the battery or memory card when the camera is wet or if you are at the beach (sand). That is probably what did in a couple of my cameras.

I'm also a little lazy about rinsing/soaking the camera after use in a chlorine pool or sea water, so that may be one of the issues with my high mortality rate for these cameras.

I took the plunge!!!

Brought the Fuji into the pool with me yesterday.

Ben:

My nephew:

I didn't have goggles or a mask on, so I just pointed the camera and pressed the button.

Here's a recent thread on the Theme Park boards discussing/recommending underwater cameras

Waterproof Cameras

I have the fuji xp10 and so far I have loved it...and no issues. not a GREAT camera like a slr, but still great for what I have used it for.
I've taken it snorkeling a couple of times and am so grateful to have had it.

If you don't have one yet, get a floating strap.

The package-deal from Costco comes with one, although it attaches to the camera with what is basically a thread! I tried mine in a friend's pool yesterday and have pictures similar to yours. :laughing: I tried out the floating strap by taking the camera down to the bottom of the pool and letting it go, and it floated to the surface, so I think we're good!

Dee, I like you so much that I'll even read the part of your pre-trip report that contains the theme-park-which-shall-not-be-named! OK, if we were to stay there, I think Hard Rock is the way to go - we'll be interested to hear what you think of it. (Although even my Disney-resisting husband agrees that Disney is best!) But check your e-mail for some Minion Mayhem!

Looking forward to following along as you travel!

Wow $40 (Universal Photo Connect) that's cheap!! I've never heard of that before. Very cool. :)

Yes, I am excited to try out the photo deal at Universal. I am also in a 3 way Photo Pass share for the Disney portion of our trip.

:)

Nice underwater camera. :)

Thanks! Now I need to read the instruction manual and figure out exactly what it can do. Fortunately, the controls are similar to other cameras I have had.

:coffee:

I have the fuji xp10 and so far I have loved it...and no issues. not a GREAT camera like a slr, but still great for what I have used it for.
I've taken it snorkeling a couple of times and am so grateful to have had it.

Was that the camera you used for the snorkeling with the rays at CC? I have been lurking over on your trip report, skipping around to different chapters and looking at your amazing pictures!

:fish:

The package-deal from Costco comes with one, although it attaches to the camera with what is basically a thread! I tried mine in a friend's pool yesterday and have pictures similar to yours. :laughing: I tried out the floating strap by taking the camera down to the bottom of the pool and letting it go, and it floated to the surface, so I think we're good!

I have two floating straps already. The Sam's Club package came with a regular strap, 8 GB SD card and a neoprene case that doesn't seem big enough.

:thumbsup2

Dee, I like you so much that I'll even read the part of your pre-trip report that contains the theme-park-which-shall-not-be-named! OK, if we were to stay there, I think Hard Rock is the way to go - we'll be interested to hear what you think of it. (Although even my Disney-resisting husband agrees that Disney is best!) But check your e-mail for some Minion Mayhem!

Looking forward to following along as you travel!

Thank you!

So far I am having the same movie issues that I had with Teena's videos. I'm not sure I have the right viewer. I will try to open yours on Photobucket to watch.

:3dglasses

well dang, you had some updates here and I had this in my "archived" threads!

Plans look good. I hope this time you plan to make it to Margaritaville or I am revoking your parrot head status!

And remember AAA discount pretty much everywhere

I think you will enjoy HRH!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter