Well, DCL has priced me out. :( So I'm giving NCL a try.

All I can say is an inside on the edge was 2k vs a bit over 3k for any DCL trip for an inside around the same time. The Edge prices really do jump up for the other styles of rooms, but we got lucky to get an inside and booked not long after they opened the booking for it. It has sold quickly and apparently prices are going up. We were on the fence about dropping it until they released the dining, we had concerns it was catering to the suite and concierge guests too much. We rarely spend money on a ship anymore, DCL got all my souvenir money with my hoodie collection;)

This will probably be our only cruise on the Edge class because right now it sits right at our 150 per person per night cutoff. Here is the kicker, I believe only 2 of our cruises broke that rule and that was the concierge cruises on the Fantasy, otherwise our DCL were under that number:)

I was not doubting you. Just saying it's interesting.

I'm seriously considering giving NCL a try. If we go with Disney we won't be able to do any other short trips like at spring break. Would rather be able to do a little more with the vacation funds. Like the looks of the Escape going to Bermuda out of NYC. If we leave from NYC could catch a Broadway show which theater loving DD really wants to do. At first I was a little sad thinking about no Disney cruise but now I'm getting excited about trying something new and going to NYC!
Also you can take a look into Anthem of the Seas from NYC to Bermuda.
We loved it. It’s such a nice ship and has a lot for kids. DS8 actually preferred it to DCL.

This will probably be our only cruise on the Edge class because right now it sits right at our 150 per person per night cutoff. Here is the kicker, I believe only 2 of our cruises broke that rule and that was the concierge cruises on the Fantasy, otherwise our DCL were under that number:)
I have a similar approach to pricing cruises. I've managed to find DCL cruises that are in that range too. Unfortunately when we priced out the one itinerary we were interested in for summer 2019, DCL was over $450 per person per night for a navigators verandah and $380 per person per night for a deluxe inside. That was Disney Fantasy 11 night southern caribbean.

We've booked RCCL for a NYE cruise this year because we are traveling with friends and they couldn't stomach the price of Disney. We are at a point that we can't really either. We like to cruise Concierge and that's not even in the cards anymore because we can't justify the exponential markups these days. Top that off with the fact that we can cruise twice in a comparable standard room for the price of DCL and we can't see our way around it. We can afford to take DCL trips, but why should we have to?

My biggest issue with RCCL is dress codes. They changed the MDR dress code to shorts being allowed a while back and so many people got their panties in a wad that they reversed their policies. NCL is more casual, and that appeals to me. I don't like wearing long pants when it's in the 80s or 90s outside.

This RCCL trip is an experiment, and I'm fine with that, but unless the ship really wows me I'll probably be trying out NCL. I'll still cruise Disney too, but it will definitely not be as often as it has been.

Interesting. I'm dropping my Feb Edge cruise because I can do either the Dream or Wonder for over a grand less than my single stateroom (designed to be such) on the Edge. :)
Same number of nights?
All I can say is an inside on the edge was 2k vs a bit over 3k for any DCL trip for an inside around the same time. The Edge prices really do jump up for the other styles of rooms, but we got lucky to get an inside and booked not long after they opened the booking for it. It has sold quickly and apparently prices are going up. We were on the fence about dropping it until they released the dining, we had concerns it was catering to the suite and concierge guests too much. We rarely spend money on a ship anymore, DCL got all my souvenir money with my hoodie collection;)

150 a night per person is almost impossible on a DCL cruise these days. It's interesting how we all have this red line we won't cross. Itinerary plays a big factor in what I'm willing to spend.

I briefly considered the Magic's 11-night Iceland and Norway cruise in July 2019, but I was pretty sure it would be more than I wanted to pay...and it was! I looked at other cruise line itineraries to Iceland, and both Princess and Holland America had 14-night Iceland + Norway or UK itineraries stating at ~ $2500 pp. If I really wanted to go to Iceland, I would've booked one of those. However, since we already have Europe cruise plans for fall 2019 on Royal Caribbean, I didn't pursue Iceland.

What I REALLY want to do is return to Australia and New Zealand. Celebrity has their 2020 Oz/NZ cruises available to book, so I just put a 12-night Auckland to Melbourne cruise on the Solstice on hold. :)

We've booked RCCL for a NYE cruise this year because we are traveling with friends and they couldn't stomach the price of Disney. We are at a point that we can't really either. We like to cruise Concierge and that's not even in the cards anymore because we can't justify the exponential markups these days. Top that off with the fact that we can cruise twice in a comparable standard room for the price of DCL and we can't see our way around it. We can afford to take DCL trips, but why should we have to?

My biggest issue with RCCL is dress codes. They changed the MDR dress code to shorts being allowed a while back and so many people got their panties in a wad that they reversed their policies. NCL is more casual, and that appeals to me. I don't like wearing long pants when it's in the 80s or 90s outside.

This RCCL trip is an experiment, and I'm fine with that, but unless the ship really wows me I'll probably be trying out NCL. I'll still cruise Disney too, but it will definitely not be as often as it has been.
I feel the same way: I can afford DCL's prices, but they don't represent a good value to me. However, I book the cheap cabins on other cruise lines, too!

I am open to other cruise lines as well and I have sailed on HAL and RCL but I always find my way back to DCL. I was just about to book another Disney Cruise when I noticed a decent price on a 11-day NCL cruise which I am considering.

I was on RCCL (Anthem) in January and there was nothing written indicating no shorts were allowed at dinner. I saw all types of dress in the dining room. We will be on RCCL Brilliance of the Seas in July for a Baltics cruise, and have 3 more cruises planned. All were MUCH less than DCL.
Denise

I briefly considered the Magic's 11-night Iceland and Norway cruise in July 2019, but I was pretty sure it would be more than I wanted to pay...and it was! I looked at other cruise line itineraries to Iceland, and both Princess and Holland America had 14-night Iceland + Norway or UK itineraries stating at ~ $2500 pp. If I really wanted to go to Iceland, I would've booked one of those. However, since we already have Europe cruise plans for fall 2019 on Royal Caribbean, I didn't pursue Iceland.

What I REALLY want to do is return to Australia and New Zealand. Celebrity has their 2020 Oz/NZ cruises available to book, so I just put a 12-night Auckland to Melbourne cruise on the Solstice on hold. :)
Same here with Iceland 2019. I couldn’t see myself paying $12000 for three people vs NCL 6000!

I was on RCCL (Anthem) in January and there was nothing written indicating no shorts were allowed at dinner. I saw all types of dress in the dining room. We will be on RCCL Brilliance of the Seas in July for a Baltics cruise, and have 3 more cruises planned. All were MUCH less than DCL.
Denise

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/...ning-room-dress-code-again-and-removes-shorts

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/generic-onboard-dress-code

http://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/Royal-Caribbean-Changes-Main-Dining-Room-Dress-Code

MDRs say Smart Casual for dinner. That means no shorts.

Same number of nights?

150 a night per person is almost impossible on a DCL cruise these days. It's interesting how we all have this red line we won't cross. Itinerary plays a big factor in what I'm willing to spend.

It is impossible right now, we have looked. With our kiddo in college it is a line we won't cross, but there is wiggle room. We have just decided to save more for retirement, so we can still cruise then too vs going all out for a suite now.

I feel the same way: I can afford DCL's prices, but they don't represent a good value to me. However, I book the cheap cabins on other cruise lines, too!

Same here, we actually really like inside rooms. We did finally do an oceanview in the front of the ship on our latest cruise and that was worth the little bit extra. The view was amazing. To us the trips are about the time we spend around the ship not in the room.

It is impossible right now, we have looked. With our kiddo in college it is a line we won't cross, but there is wiggle room. We have just decided to save more for retirement, so we can still cruise then too vs going all out for a suite now.

Same here, we actually really like inside rooms. We did finally do an oceanview in the front of the ship on our latest cruise and that was worth the little bit extra. The view was amazing. To us the trips are about the time we spend around the ship not in the room.

We usually get inside room but lately we keep receiving e-mails from Carnival offering upgrades for a very low price. We went from inside to obstructed ocean view for 20$ for our upcoming cruise in April and 54$ for an ocean view (aft, non-obstructed) for our October cruise. We did it but we would never pay more than 100$ for an ocean view or a verandah when there are so many places on the ship you can watch the ocean for free. I can appreciate the partial privacy of a verandah but I don't "need" it. :)

Sorry, I was on Anthem in January and there were plenty of men in shorts in the dining rooms and nothing was said to them. Just like formal nights, most people do not dress in "formal" clothes!!
Denise

Also you can take a look into Anthem of the Seas from NYC to Bermuda.
We loved it. It’s such a nice ship and has a lot for kids. DS8 actually preferred it to DCL.

My daughter - also 8 - prefers RCI Oasis class to DCL. We haven't tried the Anthem yet - probably should since we won't have to fly...and I do love Bermuda. :-)

That stinks. The last thing I'm concerned about on my cruise is what other people are wearing!

I was so close to booking Royal Caribbean. It was $6300 for us to travel in June without needing to pull the kids out of school vs $8300 to travel in May. Both 7-night Eastern but with slightly different ports. Given the ages of my kids, we decided to do one more Disney cruise. I love Disney but unless these new ships are majorly impressive, we'll probably give a different line a try for our next cruise. I'd love to be able to travel when the kids are on summer vacation and unfortunately Disney has priced us out there.

We usually get inside room but lately we keep receiving e-mails from Carnival offering upgrades for a very low price. We went from inside to obstructed ocean view for 20$ for our upcoming cruise in April and 54$ for an ocean view (aft, non-obstructed) for our October cruise. We did it but we would never pay more than 100$ for an ocean view or a verandah when there are so many places on the ship you can watch the ocean for free. I can appreciate the partial privacy of a verandah but I don't "need" it. :)
That was us for many years. Then we splurged on a balcony for Alaska and tried to go back to inside (or even ocean view). I didn't like it. I'm a morning person and I love going outside to fresh air first thing in the morning. The way Disney lays out their staterooms, I can keep the privacy curtain closed and go out on the balcony in the morning without disturbing my wife. When she is ready, she can come get me and I can lounge and read a book. Yes, I can do that out on deck, but it's so much more relaxing not having to look presentable and deal with people until I'm ready!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter