Wendy's to test surge pricing

I do like Wendy's. Most fast food leaves me feeling icky. Wendy's never does. I guess I'll look at it as sometimes the food is less expensive than other times. They usually have some special or other going on, too, so if you're not picky, there's a bargain to be found.

Wendy's has always seemed to struggle to keep up with the bigger boys. I suppose they're always trying new strategies. Good luck to them. I'd hate to see them go away.

Saw this on the news, they will fail and be out of business soon. No-one going to Wendy's wants to guesstimate how much their food will be, like it is a fairly cheap option and they plainly do not know their audience. Terrible idea

And Panera's with their 'clean food'. First time I heard that commercial a few years ago I had NO idea what they were talking about and seemed like another marketing blunder. As others mentioned, seems a lot of their items are pre-made elsewhere and just reheated to order.

Panera
never sign up for their app-you get constantly harrassed to join their unlimited sip club:crazy2:
I have the Panera app. I go maybe 4 or 5 times a year and I’ve never been bombarded about joining their sip club. No e-mails nor texts.

The only time I see a prompt to join is when I open the app.

I feel like this could work. If you show up to the drive thru, see a burger costs $1 more than yesterday, how many people would actually turn around and leave? I think most people are just going to pay and not bother changing their habits. Prices have gone up so much for fast food anyway that it seems like people are willing to pay for the convenience.
It wouldn't change my mind that time. I'd pay for my food, eat it, and grumble (or, more likely, listen to DH grumble :rotfl: ) but the next time we were picking a place to stop on a road trip, you bet it would be somewhere else.

Not exactly the same but not terribly different than an early bird special, really.
But the perception is vastly different. A discount for going at a certain time is a bonus. - If you know the regular price, don't know about the discount, and happen to go there at the right time, you feel like the universe smiled on you. Yet a surge at particular time, higher than the "regular" price you are familiar with, will make you feel like you're being treated unfairly.

It will start next year. I don’t go to Wendy’s because I think they suck.

But I have to wonder if this step will set a example that other food places even sit down, will start to follow?

I'm somewhat intrigued by this from a consumer standpoint. If I'm in the mood for Wendy's, when I get there, if I find that my go to order of a $5 Biggie Bag is $6 or $7 (or more), will I just leave and say no thanks? I'm not sure, to be honest. And is there a breaking point? I assume everyone will have one.

I will leave if I know they are charging me more then than they would have an hour ago or an hour later. It should be called, "Idiot pricing" instead of surge pricing, because that's essentially how they think of us. "Haha, these IDIOTS will still stand in the longer lines at the busy times and pay more. :rotfl:"

>:( No, I will leave and go elsewhere. I'd rather pay that same exact price elsewhere that always charges that same price around the clock, than go to Wendy's and play Russian roulette with their pricing and find out that's when they are charging more than if I come earlier/later.

Could this be marketing genius? Surge pricing captures people’s attention. With relevance increased, they then switch to the message that prices are lower at certain times. That could create more interest and awareness than just saying they have late afternoon deals or something like that. It’s setting people up to remember.
No, because people remember what they were paying last week. And people hate marketing like this that is too cute by half.

We don't eat much fast food but I also don't pay attention to prices. If I got to a restaurant and the meal is a few bucks more than yesterday I won't notice.

I'm a little surprised more places don't do this, alter the price based on a combination of demand and raw material costs. With digital menus you could change it as often as you need.

I'm not sure this will be successful but I'm also not sure it won't be. We are also assuming it will be full dollar increments. It could just as easily be a few cents here and there and be based on each locations competitive environment.

Wendy's has always seemed to struggle to keep up with the bigger boys. I suppose they're always trying new strategies. Good luck to them. I'd hate to see them go away.

i still miss the baked apples they used to serve 😍

No, because people remember what they were paying last week. And people hate marketing like this that is too cute by half.
I was thinking maybe they’re trying to psyche us out with ‘surge pricing’ but then actually not have higher prices. Instead it would be lower prices during off peak. People wouldn’t pay much attention to hearing about a few dollars off. In one ear and out the other. This way they might remember better 🤣 I doubt this is the plan though.

Because there aren't as many toll alternatives as there are fast food alternatives.

If McDonald's doesn't jump all over this with advertisements about their predictable pricing, their marketing VP should be fired.
What do mean toll alternatives? You can take transit or bike, or drive in the free lanes. There are many alternatives.

I find it interesting that people who don't like this concept continue to support Disney. They are the kings of variable pricing.

I find it interesting that people who don't like this concept continue to support Disney. They are the kings of variable pricing.

Yeah, but it's one thing to charge differently for volatile demand for a finite resource. Hotels, air travel, etc. all do that. This is more like if Disney started charging more for Disney+ to watch it during prime time! One person watching doesn't consume the potential for another to. Technically hamburgers aren't infininte, but for all intents and purposes they are.

I feel like Disney is different since there really isn't any other product like it and Disney knows that, which is why they charge the prices that they do. Wendy's, on the other hand, is just another fast food chain. People have a way easier time abandoning Wendy's and moving to a competitor vs. Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter