We're going to Universal!!!!

ckmiles

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone-

I have been stalking this thread for a long time now- in anticipation that I might somehow find a way to visit this year. Finally worked it out, and we are on our way!

last time I was at Universal was when Harry Potter was being built (we snapped pics over the walls!) -Im not a Harry Potter fan (not that I dont like him, just never got into it)- but Im really excited to go!

I secured RPR last night for Sept 24- 28th. Still need airfare (but I figure because I booked the room its official! )

Wont be doing HHN (I dont like be scared) -

I am so freaking excited!

If anyone has any must see's or must eats -please share.

Also we arrive on the 23rd (RPR was $400!! for this one night) so we will be staying across the street and then drive over in the morning. So any recommendations for a hotel would be great. Doesn't have to be fancy- just clean.

YAY!

Welcome back!!

Nice to see you post again.......and congratulations on your planned trip!

I’m quite jealous you get to see all the stuff brand new since you were last there, seeing it all for the first time is just amazing........we aren’t the biggest Potter fans but we love that area! So immersive.........

We’re at RP when you go......and we definitely will be doing HHN.........love it!!! We arrive Sept 13th till Oct 2nd......

Doubletree suites across the road gets good reviews, also consider Drury Inn and Suites. It’s on the junction of Sand Lake and Turkey Lake Rd.

It consistently gets excellent reviews.......I’m not sure of the cost but would be worth checking out, it’s only 5 minutes by cab away from RP.

I'm glad someone else answered about hotels, because I didn't have any help for you there, but we're big Universal fans and just got back recently from our first trip since Volcano Bay (the new waterpark) opened. I highly recommend it if it's still warm when you go! Read up on the new "Tapu Tapu" system beforehand, and don't miss the Adventure river or the walking path through the volcano. (Tap your band on the pads for special effects.)

Some of our other favorites at Universal are:

Restaurants:
Mythos (in the Islands of Adventure side of the parks)
and at Citiwalk:
Bubba Gump Shrimp
Cowfish
Vivo (Italian)

Rides:
Spiderman
Simpsons
Hulk (DH ONLY:rotfl:)
The Mummy
Transformers (DS)
the new Kong one

Shops:
There is a little Christmas shop in the Studios side that I never miss.
The Dr. Seuss stuff is really fun.
And check out your resort gift shop, too.

Also, I love the Harry Potter areas! I'm not sure if "never got into it" means you never happen to have read/watched them (in which case - DO before your trip) or you tried the series but didn't enjoy it (in which case Universal is really big, and you will still find lots to do).

If you do those sections, we all like Gringotts (in the Universal Studios/Diagon Alley side) best for the actual ride, but the lead-up to Forbidden Journey (in the Islands/Hogsmeade side) through the castle is fabulous!

Dragon Challenge has been closed, and we were very curious what they're building there!

We were there around this time last year (from 19th of Sept to the 2nd of October). We will be there about the same time as you and @schumigirl this year!

We have done a few Septembers in a row and we love it. Check out rates at Cabana Bay, it is worth it to stay onsite in my opinion. Early entry and the proximity to Volcano Bay (great in the September weather).

I will think of some must do’s. Enjoy your trip.

Welcome back!!

Nice to see you post again.......and congratulations on your planned trip!

I’m quite jealous you get to see all the stuff brand new since you were last there, seeing it all for the first time is just amazing........we aren’t the biggest Potter fans but we love that area! So immersive.........

We’re at RP when you go......and we definitely will be doing HHN.........love it!!! We arrive Sept 13th till Oct 2nd......

Doubletree suites across the road gets good reviews, also consider Drury Inn and Suites. It’s on the junction of Sand Lake and Turkey Lake Rd.

It consistently gets excellent reviews.......I’m not sure of the cost but would be worth checking out, it’s only 5 minutes by cab away from RP.

I am so excited we will be there at the same time!

Thanks for the hotel recommendations- I will look into those.

I was thinking - we will need 5 day park passes- from a cost perspective thats so very close to an AP, and it would be a waste to get an AP and not use it more than once!

I'm glad someone else answered about hotels, because I didn't have any help for you there, but we're big Universal fans and just got back recently from our first trip since Volcano Bay (the new waterpark) opened. I highly recommend it if it's still warm when you go! Read up on the new "Tapu Tapu" system beforehand, and don't miss the Adventure river or the walking path through the volcano. (Tap your band on the pads for special effects.)

Some of our other favorites at Universal are:

Restaurants:
Mythos (in the Islands of Adventure side of the parks)
and at Citiwalk:
Bubba Gump Shrimp
Cowfish
Vivo (Italian)

Rides:
Spiderman
Simpsons
Hulk (DH ONLY:rotfl:)
The Mummy
Transformers (DS)
the new Kong one

Shops:
There is a little Christmas shop in the Studios side that I never miss.
The Dr. Seuss stuff is really fun.
And check out your resort gift shop, too.

Also, I love the Harry Potter areas! I'm not sure if "never got into it" means you never happen to have read/watched them (in which case - DO before your trip) or you tried the series but didn't enjoy it (in which case Universal is really big, and you will still find lots to do).

If you do those sections, we all like Gringotts (in the Universal Studios/Diagon Alley side) best for the actual ride, but the lead-up to Forbidden Journey (in the Islands/Hogsmeade side) through the castle is fabulous!

Dragon Challenge has been closed, and we were very curious what they're building there!

We definitely want to go to Volcano Bay (deciding on a 2 park vs 3 park ticket) - I hope the weather cooperates and its warm. I could hang out in a lazy river all day-

Thanks for the restaurant recommendations. As much as I love rides on vacation- I really like to eat as well!

I saw the first 2 Harry Potter movies (and did not read the books)- I guess I didnt love the stories. But Im really looking forward to the parks. I cannot wait to see how detailed it all is- and maybe after a visit I will fall in love and read the books!

We were there around this time last year (from 19th of Sept to the 2nd of October). We will be there about the same time as you and @schumigirl this year!

We have done a few Septembers in a row and we love it. Check out rates at Cabana Bay, it is worth it to stay onsite in my opinion. Early entry and the proximity to Volcano Bay (great in the September weather).

I will think of some must do’s. Enjoy your trip.

Thank you~ We will look into Cabana bay as well!

Sorry for all the individual posts- I just figured out the quote button.....:scared::teacher:

Hi glad to see your excited for your trip. It's so nice to see a lot more peeps posting they are taking vacations at Universal. We love it here and will be going back in June.We will be staying at RPR CL this year. September is a great month to go but DD is going into her senior year and no go on missing school.

As Schumigirl suggested I have stayed in the Double Tree across the street and it's fine for a night. It is clean and has a Starbucks.

I second on Toothsome. We had the food there and the milkshakes twice. Everything was great! This place gets really busy so if you can do early lunch, early afternoon or late afternoon you will beat the crowds.

As Goldmantrust suggested Cabana Bay as an onsite option. We did this one last summer especially for VB and had a blast. It was a nice quick walk to their own entrance to it. My family really likes Cabana Bay.

In the HP worlds pumpkin juice on tap at Hogs Head is delicious as well as the frozen butter beer. When you are in Hogsmeade Village and want butter beer go into the Hogs Head there is not a line there. The carts outside get crazy busy.

VB is an awesome water park. Using EE for VB is important if you are a commando type family. This park gets really busy and was at capacity most of the warm weather months last year. With the way tapu tapu (ride reservation system) is set up, it is meant to have a relaxing day. That is the premise behind this park. If you are interested in hitting the rides hard and fast before it gets crowded then I would suggest when you go in head to the aqua coaster, after that hit Honu ika Moana and then Maku Puihi. If you are interested in the body slides in the volcano then I would do them before the family raft rides. There are a couple of VB threads with tips and suggestions. Also check out some trip reports from last summer with VB.

We upgraded to an AP last summer and taking our second trip in June. It was a real good deal to do it.

Happy Planning!

I am so excited we will be there at the same time!

Thanks for the hotel recommendations- I will look into those.

I was thinking - we will need 5 day park passes- from a cost perspective thats so very close to an AP, and it would be a waste to get an AP and not use it more than once!

Absolutely!

We used to always get a 14 day ticket when we went every September for 19 nights.......but we were very kindly gifted 2 annual passes last year.......so we are going to get fabulous use out of them. Definitely worth it for you too........

If you see us please give a shout out and say hi......would love to meet you!

Absolutely!

We used to always get a 14 day ticket when we went every September for 19 nights.......but we were very kindly gifted 2 annual passes last year.......so we are going to get fabulous use out of them. Definitely worth it for you too........

If you see us please give a shout out and say hi......would love to meet you!

Annual passes are very generous gifts! We hope to go at least one more time to use the annual passes.

We will definitely say hi! How fun it would be to meet you!

We stay at the Fairfield Inn on Vineland on our arrival day, then move on-site the next morning.

I'm not an HP fan, but my wife loves HP. I tried the first movie and it wasn't for me. But I still love the HP areas of the park. I tend to judge the lands and attractions on their own merits rather than if I like the source materials or not. Even though I don't necessarily always know what I am looking at, the details are amazing.

Food wise, we love Red Oven Pizza. For us, we think there is no better value on property. Really good pizza at a low price. We go at least once per trip, usually 2 or 3 times.

Took us a while to make it to Cow Fish, but we ended up liking that. Bread Box is good, too. Haven't tried Toothsome or NBC Grill yet.

I didn't think I would like being scared, more thought it would just be annoying than 'scary', but I ended up really enjoying HHN and we've made a few return trips. Hoping to make it back again this year.

As for the AP: I know the fall rates are not out yet, but you could very well SAVE money by upgrading one of your passes to an AP and re-booking that RPR room with an AP rate. Just something to consider. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter