We're half way there - JUNE WISH month of motivation

What is motivating you to achieve your longer term goals – where you want to be by the end of the year? What is motivating you this week?

Good morning! I believe we create our own motivation, through action toward our goals. My goal is to lose an additional 60 pounds by December 1, which is the date of the Chicago Santa Hustle (I've already registered!), which will be my 2nd 5K. First one I walked most of it. This one, I want to run.

I'll have a better idea of my weekly goals after this afternoon -- I have my first appointment with an orthopedic surgeon about my daily knee pain today. Looking forward to some relief.

Motivational Monday

upload_2018-6-4_7-36-54.png

It has now been a year since I went to my first crafting retreat, and my IG feed is full of people who are headed to the same gathering this week. I came away from that retreat with mixed feelings, thinking that once again I didn't quite manage to get everything out of it that I could have, but now realize it was a pivotal turning point on so many levels, with one of the biggest changes being confidence. It's kind of hard to describe, but I feel like I've finally broken free of girl-mode and turned into a full grown woman... and dang, it's about time since my 63rd birthday is just a few weeks away!

Saturday I started taking probiotics and a treatment for Candida yeast control, both in response to the flair up that had me knackered last week. I know from past experiences that the yeast control program can yield some strange side effects, mostly in some crazy disjointed dreams. What I wasn't expecting was to have anger flair-ups, like those that happen in days 3 thru 5 of a cleanse, often referred to as the "kill all the things" phase. But boy was I angry starting midday Sunday: it took a while to make the connection, but makes total sense since the program is cleansing yeast from my system. Today I'm feeling better physically and fortunately I am feeling calmer, but I'm hoping for a fairly smooth and quiet day, else it'll be all "off with their heads!" around here.

upload_2018-6-4_8-0-38.png

Yesterday was a very low day for walking but within the goal of 950 steps even over it for 959.
My long term motivation is to be able to do more and use a cart in the stores on my bad days without having people give the she is lazy that is why she is so fat looks.
Today my goal is to walk 1000 steps.

My big motivation at the moment is that in fall 2019 we will have the second part if our wedding celebration. Being from two different countries we had the German wedding last December and that will be the American wedding. It will be in Hawaii and I want to look great in a beachy dress!!

This weeks motivation is that I am healthy enough to run again and that I intend to do it because I feel so much better when I move!!

Late to the party this month. But I want to challenge myself to really stay on track this month.

Last month got away from me-- a few trips, our anniversary, busy busy at work, and I quit posting. I want to get back at it though because it keeps me focused. Plus, I love reading about what everyone is doing. You all are so inspiring :-)

Even though I fell off the Dis wagon, I still managed to get to my goal weight! Woohoo! Now I just have to maintain for 4 more weeks to hit lifetime at WW. So that's my goal. I don't know if I want to loose any more or not, but I am going to try maintenance for now and see how I feel. These past two weeks have been fun for me adding in more joy food, but I missed some of my veggies while I was carb loading in celebration. Oops! But somehow I still was down 0.2lbs. after my first two weeks of maintenance.... ??? I don't know. I really have to find the balance this month of what this looks like for me.

I will figure out some way to measure this but my goals are:

- Meal plan every week (even for the days when I am out of town-- I can plan even something as general as a lean protein and a veggie at least where ever we go eat)
- Movement for the month -- Gym: 10 classes -- Yoga: 3 classes -- Evening Walk: 5 times

Motivation: Welllllll right now I am motivated to get to lifetime and to feel good in a bathing suit this summer! (I started to type "look" good in a bathing suit, but in my crazy head that is placing too much agency on how others view me. I want to feel good for myself and I REALLY want to work on doing the brain work behind thinking those things. The 44 lbs may be gone but the brain demons live on! So I think learning how to quit seeing the big me in the mirror is going to be part of my journey maintenance journey as well).

Anyway that's my rambling for the day -- Hope every one has/had a lovely Monday evening!

Late to the party this month. But I want to challenge myself to really stay on track this month.

Last month got away from me-- a few trips, our anniversary, busy busy at work, and I quit posting. I want to get back at it though because it keeps me focused. Plus, I love reading about what everyone is doing. You all are so inspiring :-)

Even though I fell off the Dis wagon, I still managed to get to my goal weight! Woohoo! Now I just have to maintain for 4 more weeks to hit lifetime at WW. So that's my goal. I don't know if I want to loose any more or not, but I am going to try maintenance for now and see how I feel. These past two weeks have been fun for me adding in more joy food, but I missed some of my veggies while I was carb loading in celebration. Oops! But somehow I still was down 0.2lbs. after my first two weeks of maintenance.... ??? I don't know. I really have to find the balance this month of what this looks like for me.

I will figure out some way to measure this but my goals are:

- Meal plan every week (even for the days when I am out of town-- I can plan even something as general as a lean protein and a veggie at least where ever we go eat)
- Movement for the month -- Gym: 10 classes -- Yoga: 3 classes -- Evening Walk: 5 times

Motivation: Welllllll right now I am motivated to get to lifetime and to feel good in a bathing suit this summer! (I started to type "look" good in a bathing suit, but in my crazy head that is placing too much agency on how others view me. I want to feel good for myself and I REALLY want to work on doing the brain work behind thinking those things. The 44 lbs may be gone but the brain demons live on! So I think learning how to quit seeing the big me in the mirror is going to be part of my journey maintenance journey as well).

Anyway that's my rambling for the day -- Hope every one has/had a lovely Monday evening!
Congratulations on making your goal!

I am proud to say i got up and got in 30 minutes of a walk this morning.

:cheer2: that is great - I am soooo not a morning person either!

my 2nd 5K. First one I walked most of it. This one, I want to run.

You will run it :cheer2: looking forward to seeing another proud participation pic of you

I have my first appointment with an orthopedic surgeon about my daily knee pain today. Looking forward to some relief.

Hope it goes well

It's kind of hard to describe, but I feel like I've finally broken free of girl-mode and turned into a full grown woman... and dang, it's about time since my 63rd birthday is just a few weeks away!

I know what you mean - isn't it funny not matter our age we still feel like a teenager on the inside in many respects - I know I still do - sometimes I think that is good as it keeps some playfulness alive in us but then at others it undermines confidence and a comfortable sense of self.

Today I'm feeling better physically and fortunately I am feeling calmer, but I'm hoping for a fairly smooth and quiet day, else it'll be all "off with their heads!" around here.

Glad to hear you are feeling calmer - hope the heads of your co-workers survive the day :rotfl:

Today my goal is to walk 1000 steps.

:cheer2: you got this

My big motivation at the moment is that in fall 2019 we will have the second part if our wedding celebration. Being from two different countries we had the German wedding last December and that will be the American wedding. It will be in Hawaii and I want to look great in a beachy dress!!

How wonderful - I just know you will a gorgeous tropical beach bride - that is definitely motivation!

This weeks motivation is that I am healthy enough to run again and that I intend to do it because I feel so much better when I move!!

:cheer2: Run, Flossbolna, Run :rotfl2:

Welcome back - we have missed you :D

Even though I fell off the Dis wagon, I still managed to get to my goal weight! Woohoo! Now I just have to maintain for 4 more weeks to hit lifetime at WW.

Congratulations party:

(I started to type "look" good in a bathing suit, but in my crazy head that is placing too much agency on how others view me. I want to feel good for myself and I REALLY want to work on doing the brain work behind thinking those things. The 44 lbs may be gone but the brain demons live on! So I think learning how to quit seeing the big me in the mirror is going to be part of my journey maintenance journey as well).

You are so right our self-talk is so important as well as learning that it is about US and how WE FEEL rather than giving it over the world to judge us.

Can I vent for a moment. I recently got the latest set of goals and progress report for 10 year old's occupational therapy. They have her brushing her hair from root to tips. This is not good with her having naturally curly hair. 1. We do not brush it especially below the nape of the neck. 2. We never style it dry 3. We work her hair tips to root when we do comb it out. They are confusing her as to how to care for her hair properly and it is causing frizzes which get tangled and by the time 13 year old (she does most of her sister's hair because she is the person of choice by 10 year old) gets it all done they start it all over. When I have mentioned anything in the past it is well you could just cut it short so that it's easier for her to care for it. Just because my child has special needs does not mean she should be required to have short hair when she and I like it long and are willing to care for it on mine and 13 year old's part and we are teaching her how to care for her hair type in a way it needs to be cared for properly.

Topic Tuesday:

A habit is an automatic behavior. New ones are hard to form and old ones are hard to break – Remember how hard it was to learn how to drive a manual car? Changing gears, coordinating your feet over 3 pedals, monitoring traffic all at the same time … but over time with practice I bet you now do all of that without thinking about it at all. Same for when you learned how to write your letters in school – so much practice about the entry/exit points, which direction to write, sizing and spacing on the page … but now that is another automated habit that we use everyday.

Do you feel like any part of your healthy journey has become a habit yet?

I am not sure anything as become a habit yet. If it did i wouldn't have gained the 10 pounds back. With that said I am trying to start a new habit. Getting up in the morning and walking. Today was day 2 and I did get up. It will be a long day though. I am so tired. DS had a late baseball game so we didn't get to bed until close to 10:30. Oh that is a new habit. DH and I go to bed at 10 on work nights. This is a big help. So the late night made it a bit harder to get up. But we both did it and at 8:49 am I have 5,340 steps.

It is also not helping that I have picked up some type of virus. It is not horrible. I have had it since Friday and until today was just a couch but it is getting worse and today I am more congested. I am trying to not let it get in the way but I might need to take a rest day or two if this continues.

Can I vent for a moment. I recently got the latest set of goals and progress report for 10 year old's occupational therapy. They have her brushing her hair from root to tips. This is not good with her having naturally curly hair. 1. We do not brush it especially below the nape of the neck. 2. We never style it dry 3. We work her hair tips to root when we do comb it out. They are confusing her as to how to care for her hair properly and it is causing frizzes which get tangled and by the time 13 year old (she does most of her sister's hair because she is the person of choice by 10 year old) gets it all done they start it all over. When I have mentioned anything in the past it is well you could just cut it short so that it's easier for her to care for it. Just because my child has special needs does not mean she should be required to have short hair when she and I like it long and are willing to care for it on mine and 13 year old's part and we are teaching her how to care for her hair type in a way it needs to be cared for properly.

My sympathies. My DD has super curly hair -- she uses the CurlyGirl method and never shampoos, just conditions. And never brushes -- just sometimes combs through with her fingers when it's wet. We did cut it short when she was little, but when she got older it was her choice to keep it long.

I would think the occupational therapy would be for the 10-year old to do it to improve her hand motor control? Surely there are other exercises she could do to get the same benefit -- I'd definitely push back.

DD's hair:

Attachments

• IMG_4603.png
    IMG_4603.png
    528.6 KB · Views: 6

Good morning! I would definitely say that walking's become a habit. I seek out opportunities to get all of my steps in every day.

My appointment with the orthopedic surgeon went all right yesterday. He said that both knees are really bad -- kept asking me if I'd had any surgery there, and reported in a sad tone, "But you're so young," as he looked at my X-rays (I'm 50). Says double replacement is definitely in my future, but we'll work on stop-gaps until then. He gave me a shot of cortisone in my right knee (which is the one hurting), and less than 24 hours later, it's improved tremendously. He gave me a prescription for physical therapy twice a week for a month.

But he said my goal of 5 miles a day is too much, as is my 10,000 steps/day. Suggested using the exercise bike instead, but I tried it today, and my knee wouldn't bend to do it, so I'll wait until the PT and just keep walking - if it makes the replacement come sooner, so be it. I've come too far health-wise to stop.

No, not yet. I suffer from two-week-itis. When trying to make a new behavior habit, I can't seem to get past the two week mark, I'm good till then, but without fail day 15 I start to slip back in to the old routine. The second video of the pre-21-day-cleanse program is about habits, so I'm hoping I'll pick something up from it.

Yesterday was not smooth or calm, but I managed not to punch anyone, so there's that. Today has already started off on a mixed note: while getting ready this morning I saw my Towhee at the feeder on the front porch for the first time, along with a cluster of Bushtits. They were all chattering away, singing up a storm. Starting the day with birdies is always a nice way to go, but then when I got ready to leave the house I couldn't find my keys. After 15 minutes of searching I decided I'd have to leave the house unlocked and pick up the search when I got home, then found them laying in front of the front garden. Grrrr....

Keeping up with the bird theme of the morning, at the bus stop I was chatting with one of the other gals waiting for the bus and she asked me if I'd seen the Eagle and the Crows, and I said "Yes!". She said it's been a daily occurrence, so it sounds like the Eagle has been raiding the Crow's nests in one of the evergreen trees where they roost. I both feel badly for the Crows and grateful towards the Eagle, because we do have enough Crows in the 'hood.

OK, getting my head out of the flora and fauna and into work, work, work.

Yesterday was 1253 for steps out of a goal of 1000 and today's goal is 1050. I am guessing I will go over since I have to make a trip to Walmart back to the sporting goods section clear in the back of the store so that we can get 10 year old a baseball glove. She is playing in a challenger league for 3 weeks starting next week. This is the first year this has been offered in my area.

I would think the occupational therapy would be for the 10-year old to do it to improve her hand motor control? Surely there are other exercises she could do to get the same benefit -

They have her engaging in activities of daily living, writing her full first name (because heaven forbid that a person wants to use a nickname or a shortened form of their name these days) from memory in capital letters and her last name using a copy. Maybe we would have this down if you people would listen to me that she does most things left handed not right handed but you keep insisting she be right handed since that is easier for you. We spent years going she is confused and she needs to pick a side. HELLO HER MOTHER IS AMBIDEXTRIUS and on my mother's side out of 7 kids 3 are left handed, 1 is ambi, and 3 are right handed. I would say the odds of her being left handed or ambi are quite high. For me there are certain activities I do with one hand over the other but with other activities I use the other hand or even both of them. Makes it nice when cooking and have items on both sides of the stove I use the left to stir that on the left and the right for the right never having to step side to side to get to where I need to be.
She has a physical next week and I am going to address this with her doctor to see if he will help me give some push back on some of the activities. I am going to insist that there be no brushing of her hair and that it is only combed when damp when she goes back for regular sessions next week as this week is therapy camp for all the kids.

Not yet. I'm becoming more aware of my steps and making sure I do things to increase my number of steps even when I'm not wearing my pedometer, but that's about it. Eating/food is still a battle. I've always done my best utilizing a food log, but I still struggle with having friends and family who want to go out to eat. I've learned to not be as embarrassed about eating less, or asking for adjustments on my food, though. Like, I'll get a salad with no dressing, or french onion soup with no cheese, or I'll set aside half of a steak because I know the full serving is too much.

I'm only on week 9 of my health/weight-loss journey, so I know the real challenges are ahead of me. In the past, I haven't been able to make it past 14 weeks on a diet, so getting past that milestone is going to be the biggest thing for me. I think if I can make it to week 15, I'll be able to continue on from there and start really making some of the changes I'm making into lifelong ones.

I know that my worst enemy is emotional stress. I've tried to talk to the regular sources of that stress. While they might listen when I say something, I know they don't quite understand the effects they have on me and how I view myself. One of said sources decided to fight with me for six hours (two separate arguments) on Saturday last weekend. I managed not to break my diet plan due to it, but it was really rough. It also took time away from my prep-work for my upcoming art sale, so I'm now even /more/ behind. Urgh.

The one thing that I have noticed as a habit is how I grocery shop now. It feels so weird to shop the aisles. My habit now is just shopping the perimeter for fresh stuff and only venturing down the aisles to the processed stuff for DH's special requests and dried spices -- and occasionally over to the frozen area for Halo Top Ice Cream. :rolleyes1

However ... the exercise portion of my journey still does not feel like a habit. I mean it's in my schedule and it happens, but I have plenty of days with ZERO motivation that feel like I am struggling to make it part of my life. Of course I feel good about it after the fact, but jeeze, I WISH that was a habit as it's the one thing I've been doing the longest!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter