Were your parents supportive parents?

My Mom and Dad were incredibly supportive. They would scrimp on other things to make sure I had art supplies for example, and always encouraged both me and my sister to dream and supported those dreams.

Yes. I was 50 before my mom felt comfortable telling me she did not approve of me considering Law Enforcement as a career path. Mind you, I had been working in Radio and TV for 32 years at that point!

1000% - I’m one of 7 kids-all encouraged to try our best, be ourselves and follow our own interests…

Not so much. I was allowed to live at home one year and commuted to college, which I was required to pay for myself even though they had the means to help. My mom was never a warm or supportive person. Her response to pain was 'offer it up for the poor souls in purgatory' or 'it's all in your head'. (I may have repeated that to her when in her 80's she complained of back pain caused by her insisting on doing too much around her house.) My dad was pretty withdrawn from any family issues. I did manage to spend more time with him for a few years before I left home for good.

:lovestrucAbsolutely. Nobody anywhere had better parents than mine. :goodvibes But they did NOT approve of or affirm every choice I made, and when they didn't, they would gently but clearly speak-their-piece - once. Then they just stepped back and never failed to be there when I needed them, in triumph or sorrow. I appreciate that about them so much more now that I've parented a son myself. It took guts, self-control and a whole lot of pure love.

In some ways, but not in others. My mom was very supportive of my interests and activities as far as music, sports, etc. but not of my preferences when it came to big decisions like college and career. On those things, she tried very hard to steer me toward safer paths than the ones I preferred and ultimately ended up on.

They supported me as in a roof over my head and food to eat. As for any other support, NONE. My mother was always too busy telling me that I would never amount to anything, she would say things like “don’t bother with college, you will get bored and never finish” type of comments.
I ended up graduating, married 40 years this year, have 7 businesses, 4 of which have been extremely successful, and more.
So theres, that.

My mom was not supportive, nor shared any congratulations for any of my accomplishments. My dad was better.

They had a philosophy of unless asked stay out of our lives. I took on the same thing with my kids. That surely didn't mean I didn't love them or were not proud of whatever they accomplished. I just never wanted to make it seem like I was in anyway trying to influence them into what I wanted. I did that once accidentally by saying something that was purely observational on my part and it has been a problem ever since so I don't comment anymore other than to say that it all seems good to me. And it really does. I knew my parents loved me and were proud of me, it was just unspoken, but I knew.

My mother was/is very supportive. She has always been supportive of my decisions with college, career, and my wife. My father was nothing more than a *perm donor and left my mother with three boys, myself being 7 at the time. Never paid child support, never heard from him, nothing. I found him by accident when I was 33. I've learned to forgive him, but he certainly was not supportive at all. It was his loss, not mine.

My parents are amazing. Always have been. Supportive, loving, kind. Love them so much.

Yes, no and it depends on which kid it was. I was allowed to live at home during college but had to pay 1/4 of my paychecks for rent and had to fully pay for college myself. If we wanted to do sports or other extra curricular activities it was either no or we had to pay for, find our own transportation, etc. except for dance lessons for the girls. That was supported. There were 8 kids so it is kind of understandable. The youngest didn't have to pay rent and got some assistance with college because she wanted to be a nurse. I wanted to be a teacher and my dad's attitude was why bother with college, you're just going to get married and have kids. Out of the 8 of us only 2 got bachelor's degrees and one got an associate's. None of the rest even attempted college. Getting your driver's licence meant having to wait until you could fully pay for a car on your own, no one could drive Dad's car. We all ended up with good work ethics and nobody got into serious trouble.

Not even a little bit. I always wished I had parents that pushed me to succeed in something. I ice skated all my life and wanted to go pro, but my parents couldn't care less about it so when it came time to needing a private coach, I was too scared to even ask them to spend that kind of money on me so that was the end of that. Dance lessons, same thing. If I didn't feel like going or wanted to drop out...no problem, now we don't have to drive you there. Stuff like that. It was just pure laziness really. They just didn't seem interested in bothering with anything extra. I wish they would've made me stick with something. As boring to me as some of the interests that my daughter has, I hope that I will do better and suck it up and at least pretend that I'm into it lol. I vowed to make her finish what she starts at least for that year or season. I think she'll be glad someone encouraged her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter