West Coast is the best coast… for G+!

chezcurrie

DIS Veteran
I’m just back from a week long WDW trip with my sis (adults only, no spouses or kiddos, such fun!) wanted to come on here and say:

I promise to never ever complain about anything related to Disneyland G+ ever again!

G+ at WDW is a total joke in comparison. It’s still a necessity for our touring style, but I always have thought about G+ like the FP of yore - “guarantee” my top 3 priorities and the rest is frosting. At WDW we were lucky to get 2 decent G+, even at MK with the most rides! We only got 1 in demand ride at Epcot our first day (no, figment you don’t count as high demand). At 7am the LL for Remy and Frozen we’re already booking into the evening, and by noon completely gone for the day. Even in crazy crowd October at DL I was able to get 3-4 rides, including HMH and Guardians. Just wow.

Because on site guests are able to book their first G+ at 7am and your next selection isn’t until 2 hrs after park open (so 11am) all the morning times are gone by the time you scan into your first ride, even if that ride you managed to snag near park open. So fair warning if you are planning a WDW trip - one of these things is not like the other!

So yeah, very grateful to be home, never complaining if the return times are further out, because I have yet to see them sell out at FL with the exception of Indiana late afternoon. Can’t wait to enjoy our laid back parks sans the frenetic FOMO frenzy of WDW. It’s good to be home.

I am so sad about how the G+ works at WDW. I love that place so much and really want to go back and visit (haven't been in over 14 years) but it just sounds horrendous from everything I read. Massive crowds, no G+ reservations available, no dining options, ridiculous wait times. We made our first Disney trip for a very long time straight after Covid in 2022 and we decided upon Disneyland (we are Aussies by the way). We had sooo much fun that we are returning the first week of December this year to enjoy the holiday season offerings. My adult daughter and I are autistic and so facing theme parks and all that comes with them can be daunting but the ease of G+ and the not too overwhelming size of the whole resort is making Disneyland our go to place. I am really sad about that, as I really want to go back to EPCOT and Animal Kingdom, my two favourite parks at WDW, but I don't want to ruin the wonderful memories I have of touring in January with literally no crowds, utilising the old FP system for multiple rides on our favourites and enjoying relaxing meals at sit down restaurants for midday breaks. I used to love planning a WDW trip (we went several times in the 2000's) but now the thought of all the planning that is required only to be able to enjoy a handful of rides in a day really doesn't make it very appealing. :worried:😢

Great to hear things are better at DLR (will be back in August). We despise pretty much everything G+ at WDW. With some changes coming...maybe things will get better. As it currently stands, we just avoid it and stick with the old and reliable ways of getting things done ;)

Great to hear things are better at DLR (will be back in August). We despise pretty much everything G+ at WDW. With some changes coming...maybe things will get better. As it currently stands, we just avoid it and stick with the old and reliable ways of getting things done ;)
Yup - we definitely zigged instead of zagged and changed our strategy. Always have a great time but I was truly shocked at how much less utility it had.

I am so sad about how the G+ works at WDW. I love that place so much and really want to go back and visit (haven't been in over 14 years) but it just sounds horrendous from everything I read. Massive crowds, no G+ reservations available, no dining options, ridiculous wait times. We made our first Disney trip for a very long time straight after Covid in 2022 and we decided upon Disneyland (we are Aussies by the way). We had sooo much fun that we are returning the first week of December this year to enjoy the holiday season offerings. My adult daughter and I are autistic and so facing theme parks and all that comes with them can be daunting but the ease of G+ and the not too overwhelming size of the whole resort is making Disneyland our go to place. I am really sad about that, as I really want to go back to EPCOT and Animal Kingdom, my two favourite parks at WDW, but I don't want to ruin the wonderful memories I have of touring in January with literally no crowds, utilising the old FP system for multiple rides on our favourites and enjoying relaxing meals at sit down restaurants for midday breaks. I used to love planning a WDW trip (we went several times in the 2000's) but now the thought of all the planning that is required only to be able to enjoy a handful of rides in a day really doesn't make it very appealing. :worried:😢
My sis and I actually talked about this a lot, as we are both hesitant to bring our families with the current …. frenzy, for various reasons.

We decided if we did we would change our strategy. We typically arrive shortly after opening, take a mid day break and back for the evening. If we were to bring our families we would likely have slow sleep in/resort mornings, securing 1-2 prime rides with G+ from the resort and then arriving late afternoon when people are leaving, enjoying a sit down dinner and then the evening lower crowds. The evening was the absolute best time because most families with littles arrive at RD, and the EEH for deluxe guests was great for VQ rides.

In your situation if Epcot and AK are your priorities and you decide to go - just do those 2 parks! Or focus on those 2 and do highlights or fireworks at another park. We had 2 Epcot days for that reason and were able to do everything we wanted because we had that flexibility. Our AK day we literally went just to ride FoP, twice, and soak up the ambiance. The fear of FOMO is real but knowing what’s most important *to you* is key. We focused mostly on the unique to Dland rides, as shortly after we rode pirates and it was a letdown compared to DL we stopped trying to do it all just cause we were there.

FWIW we had no issues with dining reservations. We got Storybook Dining, Space 220, Jiko, Brown Derby, etc, and there were many same day or night before cancellations and availability.

Have a great DL trip!!!

I’m looking forward to a more sane experience for our June first DL trip!! U’ve been watching return times, and they’re…just astounding for a WDW vet!!! How refreshing not to have everyone trying to game the system.

I think G+ at WDW is best used to stack for later in the day, especially on busy days. We’ll usually grab the top-tier G+ slam on at 7 and almost always get one for right after park opening. We then usually buy at least one $LL to fill in the morning. We rope drop EE, then badge into the first G+ as early as possible, and start stacking right away for afternoon. Of course, who knows what will happen now!! I’n sure it will require a bunch of strategy. I do love WDW, but it is a very high-effort destination.

I’m looking forward to a more sane experience for our June first DL trip!! U’ve been watching return times, and they’re…just astounding for a WDW vet!!! How refreshing not to have everyone trying to game the system.

I think G+ at WDW is best used to stack for later in the day, especially on busy days. We’ll usually grab the top-tier G+ slam on at 7 and almost always get one for right after park opening. We then usually buy at least one $LL to fill in the morning. We rope drop EE, then badge into the first G+ as early as possible, and start stacking right away for afternoon. Of course, who knows what will happen now!! I’n sure it will require a bunch of strategy. I do love WDW, but it is a very high-effort destination.
This was our strategy at MK and it worked mich better as we were able to get a lower tier LL for morning and then tap in and modify and stack our priority rides for after dinner, but at Epcot and HS even with our seasoned g+ knowledge at 7am the earliest return we got for Slinky Dog and Remy (our must do’s) was 3pm! That made our second pick at 11 not ideal.

We still had a great time, always do, but I absolutely agree with the “high-effort destination” designation - love that!

Edit: enjoy your first laid back chill OMG is everything so close are you serious I can park-hop-quicker-than-walking-to-the-bus DL trip! ;)

My sis and I actually talked about this a lot, as we are both hesitant to bring our families with the current …. frenzy, for various reasons.

We decided if we did we would change our strategy. We typically arrive shortly after opening, take a mid day break and back for the evening. If we were to bring our families we would likely have slow sleep in/resort mornings, securing 1-2 prime rides with G+ from the resort and then arriving late afternoon when people are leaving, enjoying a sit down dinner and then the evening lower crowds. The evening was the absolute best time because most families with littles arrive at RD, and the EEH for deluxe guests was great for VQ rides.

In your situation if Epcot and AK are your priorities and you decide to go - just do those 2 parks! Or focus on those 2 and do highlights or fireworks at another park. We had 2 Epcot days for that reason and were able to do everything we wanted because we had that flexibility. Our AK day we literally went just to ride FoP, twice, and soak up the ambiance. The fear of FOMO is real but knowing what’s most important *to you* is key. We focused mostly on the unique to Dland rides, as shortly after we rode pirates and it was a letdown compared to DL we stopped trying to do it all just cause we were there.

FWIW we had no issues with dining reservations. We got Storybook Dining, Space 220, Jiko, Brown Derby, etc, and there were many same day or night before cancellations and availability.

Have a great DL trip!!!
Thanks for your thoughts. Yes I think if we did go again we would go for a longer period and like you say just prioritise unique rides. Make it a stop and smell the roses holiday instead of a go on every ride multiple times kinda trip. Really can't wait for our December trip this year sooo excited.

Genie+ was such a breeze for us last January that I assumed it was gonna be the same way in September (nope).

You just can’t beat the low(er) crowds of January.

Genie+ was such a breeze for us last January that I assumed it was gonna be the same way in September (nope).

You just can’t beat the low(er) crowds of January.
We've always visited WDW in January and been spoiled by the lower crowds levels but I am not sure that is the case any more from what I read. We have now moved to country Victoria in Australia and I am hesitant to travel in January as it is our peak bush fire time and I don't like being away in case of a fire. Guess when the time comes I'll have to look at other months that might have lower crowds.

This was our strategy at MK and it worked mich better as we were able to get a lower tier LL for morning and then tap in and modify and stack our priority rides for after dinner, but at Epcot and HS even with our seasoned g+ knowledge at 7am the earliest return we got for Slinky Dog and Remy (our must do’s) was 3pm! That made our second pick at 11 not ideal.

Ok, if you ever need this again…here’s what you do. (And yes, I’m aware I sound like a lunatic.) Get the Atomic Clock app on a second phone. Be on cell and not wifi. Refresh your desired G+ at 6:59:50-ish. Also works for VQ.

Now let’s hope neither of us ever needs that info :). Thank goodness I won’t need it for DL!

Ok, if you ever need this again…here’s what you do. (And yes, I’m aware I sound like a lunatic.) Get the Atomic Clock app on a second phone. Be on cell and not wifi. Refresh your desired G+ at 6:59:50-ish. Also works for VQ.

Now let’s hope neither of us ever needs that info :). Thank goodness I won’t need it for DL!
Oh yes, we did that for VQ and always got one of the first boarding groups, but then as soon as we secured the VQ we were a minute past 7 for the first LL so they were already in late afternoon! Our priority was the VQ. We had a great trip it was just very different/complex/frustratingly high effort and made me appreciate our home park even more. 💕

We've always visited WDW in January and been spoiled by the lower crowds levels but I am not sure that is the case any more from what I read. We have now moved to country Victoria in Australia and I am hesitant to travel in January as it is our peak bush fire time and I don't like being away in case of a fire. Guess when the time comes I'll have to look at other months that might have lower crowds.
Honestly I wouldn’t go back in January because of the weather - I had to overnight fleece lined leggings and had on several layers + coat, touque, gloves and hand warmers. It was freezing!!!!

Thanks for pointing out WDW, and please disregard my post. I’m sitting here with flu and misreading the title/op thinking they were at DL :sick:

Honestly I wouldn’t go back in January because of the weather - I had to overnight fleece lined leggings and had on several layers + coat, touque, gloves and hand warmers. It was freezing!!!!
Oh thats so funny, where we live in Winter it never gets above 46 during the day and at night more like 33 so we are totally used to the cooler temps. We were at DL at the end of April in 2022 and it was 80 and we were sweltering. My daughter even nearly passed out on the walk back to HoJo. We much prefer the cold , the colder the better in fact. Hoping that this Dec trip to DL will be a little cooler. :santa:☃️

Having grown up going to WDW, the simplicity of a DL trip still blows my mind. It's even crazier since I typically visit DL solo, which makes an already straightforward trip even less stressful. I love WDW more than any other vacation destination, but my DL trips are so refreshing. Almost everything is "easy" in comparison. Whenever I look at wait times on the DL app, I chuckle to myself. When I was planning my first trip, I almost thought something was wrong with the app because the short wait times didn't process in my brain after decades of WDW.

Oh yes, we did that for VQ and always got one of the first boarding groups, but then as soon as we secured the VQ we were a minute past 7 for the first LL so they were already in late afternoon! Our priority was the VQ. We had a great trip it was just very different/complex/frustratingly high effort and made me appreciate our home park even more. 💕
Ahhh, yeah, it’s impossible for one person to do both. You have to have two people (or more) trying. If I’m solo, I go for the G+ and just buy the $LL. REALLY looking fwd to DL!!!

Thanks for pointing out WDW, and please disregard my post. I’m sitting here with flu and misreading the title/op thinking they were at DL :sick:
Oops, my bad as well - the weather in Florida was freezing last week, not DL, although it can get chilly by some (my) standards. Feel better!!!

Oops, my bad as well - the weather in Florida was freezing last week, not DL, although it can get chilly by some (my) standards. Feel better!!!

Thank you!! I am feeling much better 😊 It’s so hard to pack for FL during winter. They say to bring layers, but sometimes you need a winter coat!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter