WestJet is at it again. Check your flights.

ottawamom

The "Air Miles" Lady
I booked WestJet from Ottawa to LA (November 2022) for travel the first week of May. I can't remember why I decided to check flights today but I did and they have changed the times for the outgoing flight (1/2 hour), I can work with that. Coming home though they have us travelling through Calgary instead of Toronto. I chose Toronto because if anything happened with the connection I could easily drive/bus home to Ottawa.

They have also put us on a flight with a 1:26 minute connection. Sources I've read say it can take 30-90 minutes to get through customs in Calgary and recommend a minimun of 1:30 for international to domestic connection. There is a flight earlier in the day to Calgary which would leave us sitting around the airport in Calgary for 6 hours. I would rather do that than miss my flight home to Ottawa. I booked these flights through Airmiles and no one there has thought to update me on the changes.

I will be on the phone with them first thing tomorrow to get them to make the change LA-Calgary to the earlier flight. I can handle changes I just don't like not being told about the changes.

Question for those who have connected from US through Calgary. Is 1 1/2 connection doable going through customs etc? If it's like Ottawa, I would say yes, in and out of customs here in no time.

I guess worst case I can get a room for the night with AM. Can I book one of those last minute? @Donald - my hero

Or will WestJet provide us with a room for the night because the missed connection is their fault. (I know don't kill yourself laughing about that question)

They all do it now I am noticing. If you book far enough out to have decent fares the trade off is they will change the schedule on you. If you wait until the 60 day mark for a confirmed schedule, the prices are astronomical. It’s so frustrating. I hope you’re able to get some help today.

I can't help with the transfer question but you should still be able to book a room with AM last minute (provided they have one available). I've read of people doing that as they drive down to Florida, decide where to stop along the way and pick the hotel shortly before they are stopping. I am doubtful WJ would put you up, most likely they'd expect you to hang out in the airport or something.

My flights to/from Florida on AC got changed, I had included my aeroplan number in the booking and was notified via email by Air Canada, and then two or three weeks later by Airmiles. I used AirMiles to book the flights. They did eventually let me know.

Good luck, I am sure it will be a good trip but I totally get rather being stuck in Toronto than Calgary when living in Ottawa. We are flying in/out of Montreal, just to get direct flights and there are 3 each direction every day. Ottawa has way too few choices.

Dangish!!!
Not much I can offer in help but I wanted to say Dangish WestJet!
Hope things can be sorted out Hon.
Hugs Mel

Just wanted to ask
Are there any days after your current scheduled return day that might be possible for a direct flight back to Ottawa?

Last edited:
Dangish!!!
Not much I can offer in help but I wanted to say Dangish Air Canada!
Hope things can be sorted out Hon.
Hugs Mel

Just wanted to ask
Are there any days after your current scheduled return day that might be possible for a direct flight back to Ottawa?
Not sure how it is Air Canada's fault that West Jet changed the OP's flights....that are on West Jet.

I might live in the nations capital but you can't get anywhere from here direct anymore! Well there are a few places but those are limited and tend to be domestic.

@SirDuff, it's always Air Canada's fault even though I'm flying WestJet.:P There are only so many flights allowed to land in Toronto now and WestJet has just backed alot of their connections out. Leaving Air Canada as the soul source for flights to Ottawa.

Glad to hear I can book a room last minute with Airmiles. I will keep that in my back pocket as a back up if needed. There appear to be lots of hotels in the vicinity of aiport. I checked out trip cancellation/interuption and they want the price of a hotel room for that insurance so I'll take my chances.

I looked at my flights a week or so ago and all was still good. This seems to have come up as a result of the announcement last week as I'm within 60 days of travel so flights should have been set in stone. Oh well. WDW from now on after this trip to Disneyland.

From my experience,,if all the same airline,,,and they are the ones doing the connection and set it up....they are the ones responsible for you making it. If they are delayed or the connection is missed, they have put me up in a hotel. Last time for us was Halifax to TO with a transfer in Ottawa,,crazy not direct,,but still they put us up in Ottawa for the night.

Don't know if this helps, but we flew from Victoria to Orlando with a connection in Calgary with Westjet last September. So the same connection, just the other direction. Our connection time was 1 hour 22 minutes and we got through customs and to the gate for our flight to Orlando in under an hour. So assuming going through Canadian customs won't be anymore difficult than US customs, you should be fine. I will admit I was super stressed worrying about what we would do if our flight was delayed leaving Victoria, but we were fine. I'm sure it will be ok for you too!

Thanks @mort1331, I think I've finally come to terms with the changes. Bugs me that no one has notified me yet. Oh well I booked with the knowledge that this likely would happen. Having hung around these boards for years I know to check, and check and check my flights again. Yesterday I was just confirming things before I booked ground transportation in LA.

WestJet did the right thing and booked me on the best possible alternative without my having to ask for it. I just wasn't sure it was the best possible alternative until I did a deep dive on flights available etc.

Warning to those with trips planned keep checking your flights!

@SirDuff, it's always Air Canada's fault even though I'm flying WestJet.:P There are only so many flights allowed to land in Toronto now and WestJet has just backed alot of their connections out. Leaving Air Canada as the soul source for flights to Ottawa.
Sorry, I don't understand. You're booked on West Jet but flying on Air Canada? I didn't think that they did any code sharing. Interesting to know.

Just checked our WJ flights and they changed them without notifying me. Instead of arriving at around 1pm, we will now land at 7pm. I had booked our first night club level, but it's pretty much useless now arriving at that hour.

We got an email this morning that our12:00 flight from Vancouver to Toronto has changed to 11:00-also the first week of May. We are disembarking a cruise, and while that might work, I will am waiting a callback to move it to the 1:00 flight for my own peace of mind and less stress trying to make a tight connection. BTW, the callback, which has always been within 6 hours in the past, is now tomorrow at 11:45 a.m. I have to leave the house 40 minutes later, so fingers crossed that they 1) call on time, and 2) can adjust our flight quickly.

From my experience,,if all the same airline,,,and they are the ones doing the connection and set it up....they are the ones responsible for you making it. If they are delayed or the connection is missed, they have put me up in a hotel. Last time for us was Halifax to TO with a transfer in Ottawa,,crazy not direct,,but still they put us up in Ottawa for the night.
Yup. Unless they try to claim it was something out of their control (like weather and possibly a long line at immigration), they should give you a hotel room and meal vouchers.

I had a trip this year where the airline ended up paying for a hotel and meals in both Nairobi (airport I was leaving from - flight was delayed from just before midnight to about noon) and Paris (connecting city where I ended up missing the last connection home). Plus, since it was a European flight, gave me 600 EUR compensation.

Sorry, I don't understand. You're booked on West Jet but flying on Air Canada? I didn't think that they did any code sharing. Interesting to know.
I was kidding. You know it's always Mom's fault... The aren't codesharing.

On a slightly positive not I just received notification from Airmiles (booked through Airmiles flights on WestJet) that the flights had changed,.. Call them if I needed to discuss it... I already tried that this morning and gave up waiting. I'll just stick with what WestJet has decided to book me on. Crossing my fingers and toes it all works out. I've got a grandbaby being born to get back to.

Weird things are happening. All good though. I logged into my WestJet app and I now have seats assigned for all 4 legs of our journey. I didn't pay for the seat selection and I don't think my flight purchase qualified for advance seat selection.

Now I do have a question for those who are familiar with flying WestJet. We are in row 4 (right behind business class). Is it just a curtain that separates us from them? ie do I see their seatback and can I put my person item under a seat? I'm accustomed to the back of the plane as a general rule. It's a 737-700 if that makes a difference. I looked on SeatGuru but it doesn't mention what separtes the two cabins.

Weird things are happening. All good though. I logged into my WestJet app and I now have seats assigned for all 4 legs of our journey. I didn't pay for the seat selection and I don't think my flight purchase qualified for advance seat selection.

Now I do have a question for those who are familiar with flying WestJet. We are in row 4 (right behind business class). Is it just a curtain that separates us from them? ie do I see their seatback and can I put my person item under a seat? I'm accustomed to the back of the plane as a general rule. It's a 737-700 if that makes a difference. I looked on SeatGuru but it doesn't mention what separtes the two cabins.
Hi Hon
The last 2 WestJet flights (Nov / Feb 2023) I have been on it is just a curtain that separates the two areas.
I had plenty of room for my personal bag underneath the seat.
I was Row7.
Mel

Thanks good to know I'll be able to stick my bag under the seat in front of me. Now I just need to figure out how to get my carryon into the overhead likely full bin above.

Thanks good to know I'll be able to stick my bag under the seat in front of me. Now I just need to figure out how to get my carryon into the overhead likely full bin above.
A very kind WestJet flight attendant saw me thinking of climbing on the seat to do this (I'm 4 foot 11inches) and
assisted me.:o

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter