Wet rides - how wet?

I only rode Kali one time and I got totally soaked. My shoes were full of water, I could wring my shirt and jeans. Splash I got wet several several times but never soaked.

UH, Splash can absolutely soak you. DH and I just got HOSED during MNSSHP a few weeks ago. DH actually had to take off his shirt and wring it out. We were wet through to the underthings. Really such a lovely feeling! LOL. It happened to us the year before as well. It was from the jet that goes off when a log is going down the hill, while you are about 1/2 way up the mountain and about to go up another lift. They can turn that up or down or off. It was sure turned up for us! DH refused to ride Splash the rest of our trip after that. I went by myself twice and didn't get nearly that wet.

UH, no. Been on Splash probably 200 times or more, never once been what I would remotely call "soaked".

Frankly, I think some of it depends on everyones' definition of "soaked". Some people will use that term for the small splash on Pirates or FEA. To me, that's barely a sprinkle. To me, "soaked" means getting about as wet as you would if you had jumped into a pool. Head to toe dripping wet. Splash absolutely cannot do that. When you hit the bottom, the waves splash away from the boat (watch the ride from the bridge) and you get wet from some of the spray that comes straight up. It's not a soaking wave, ever. Kali....if you're going backwards at the bottom, it's literally a wall of water that gets kicked up and you back right into it.

I will say that neither compare to SeaWorlds' version of Kali, I forget its' name. Rode it this summer. Holy smokes, talk about soaked! It's crazy, but oh so cool!

Yup - you get completely soaked on kali.

On splash, there are really just 2 places that you have to look out for... one is when you 1st get started and can see the logs coming down the hill. The splash from their landing can get you soaked so get ready to put up your hood.
The splash isn't from the logs landing, it is from some jets that go off as the log descends. Usually it misses the boats going by but one time we were in the right spot and just got the whole jet come down on us. I was soaked so completely, it was if I had jumped in a pool. I had denim shorts on . They did not dry the whole rest of the day. And it was a sunny and hot day too. Very uncomfortable. But I have never had that happen again, so I think it's somewhat rare. As far as the waterfall, just make sure to sit on the left side of the boat. The rest of the ride will get you a little wet, but not much.

Oddly enough, we got soaked from the knee-down on Frozen Ever After on our last trip. It had to do with where we were sitting (off to one side). It wasn't too bad, other than the fact that I hate hate hate wearing wet socks. ;)

I seem to be the one who gets drenched on Kali every time but hey that's why we go on it! The Dri Fit shirts and shorts dry pretty quick. I hardly even get a drip of water on me on Splash Mountain. Seems like I'm always in the back.

Splash will never "soak" you. You'll get some splashes, depending on time of year and where you sit (front gets wetter), but you'll never get too wet. Most of the splash at the end goes outward, not in.

Kali will vary greatly. If you're going backwards down the drop and the water level is high, you will get utterly soaked. If you're facing forward and/or water level is low (winter), you'll just get a few drops.
This is my exact experience. When I think of getting soaked and drenched, I think of the Popeye ride at Universal Studios. On that ride you'll get soaked, and then some lol.

We have ridden them before, but it has been a six years so I want to be prepared. Splash Mountain: usually we just put on rain gear and our feet stay dry. Kali - we wear rain gear and change into sandals. Is this still a safe plan?
We get slightly wet on Splash Mountain & a little more wet on Kali. We go in the summer and dry quickly in the hot sun.

In Disneyland, we got soaked on Splash Mountain. It was April, and in the low 70's. Brrr.

For the record, I rode Kali a total of six times on our last trip and didn't get "soaked" once. Most of the time, my hair got pretty wet and some wet spots on my shirt and shorts, but never drenched.

It's all a matter of luck, but your safest bet is to plan on getting soaked.

We recently rode Splash Mountain and a woman in front of us put a plastic bag over her WHOLE head to protect her hair. She was with her young son. SERIOUSLY - I was concerned she was going to suffocate herself in front of me!!! Come on people - what kind of message is this to kids?!

Oh you can get soaked on Splash. One time we were so soaked that we had to go back to the hotel and change. Never been that wet.
We got so wet on Splash once we stopped in the bathroom and wrung the water out of our clothes. It was a cold MVMCP night . . .

it really does depend on a lot of factors, so be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.

I'm late to this thread, but wanted to mention that you indeed might get completely soaked on Splash. My favorite pair of sweatpants were purchased in the park, after a completely drenching experience on Splash Mountain! And it was a cold night in December, when I thought they modified the splash quotient for chilly guests! Guess not! :). So the answer to the OPs question is really, you just never know! Prepare to be wet, and really, if it's going to bother you too much, just skip those watery rides. We never carry rain-gear to the parks because we always go in winter (dry season) and we have bulky outerwear on or at least layers. When my then 85 year old Mom came with us we put her on Splash with a plastic bag under her butt and a rain hat on her head. She looked adorable, loved the ride, and was dry as a bone.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter