What’s going on at Ohana?

Well from what everyone is saying here.. it sounds like it used to be a solid choice and now it’s a shell of what it used to be and it’s hit or miss at best

Was there in April. Family favorite, we go every trip. Bread... great. First course with wings, noodles, dumplings.....awesome. Bread pudding.... amazing. Notice I left a course out.

Steak tough and dry. Chicken dry with gross chimichurri. Shrimp meely and flavorless. Tough to justify the price at this point.

If you like VERY well done steak, you may like it. In our case, steak was awful. Chimichurri on the chicken was flavorless and I love chimichurri. Noodles were great. Muffins/rolls whatever they were before dinner were not as good as the old bread. Bread pudding was ok, but not nearly as good as it was pre-COVID. Craziest thing to me was the once-strong and legendary Lapu Lapu was weak. I like a strong drink to combat the sweetness and the Lapu Lapu used to fit the bill perfect. No more. Could hardly tell there was booze in it. ‘Ohana was a favorite or ours and we won’t be back for awhile. Way overpriced.

Overall, for our family (of picky eaters), it wasn't worth the price. Most of our family used to love it and it was requested as #1 by my son who ended up not eating much. However, I thought the salad dressing was absolutely amazing (and the salad was fine -mixed greens with a lot of arugula/bitter greens). In addition, our waiter was great - when we requested extra ice cream due to the kids not eating much, he didn't hesitate, and we ended up with more than even our kids could eat. And we agree, the steak was more inedible than edible (but some people do like overcooked, gristle filled steak).

Are they still serving the King's Hawaiian rolls at the start? That's the one thing I am not a fan of from my recent visits. Love the rolls... but I can get them at my local grocery store. Much preferred what they serving previously.

No. It was a coconut bread. Not individual rolls.
It’s now overly salted cheesy rolls and rolls with bacon on them. We loved the coconut bread and historically asked for seconds.

We ate a lot of salad, potstickers and noodles (cold/lukewarm). Everything else was a miss (lukewarm shrimp; we used to love the hot skewers). The steak was slathered in some salty BBQ/teriyaki sauce (can’t remember because we spit it out) so basically inedible and tough (great way to discourage asking for more.) Dessert was good but not great.

It was our top pick historically for the 5 years pre pandemic. Now no one wants to waste time. Sebastian’s Bistro seems comparable.

It’s now overly salted cheesy rolls and rolls with bacon on them. We loved the coconut bread and historically asked for seconds.

We ate a lot of salad, potstickers and noodles (cold/lukewarm). Everything else was a miss (lukewarm shrimp; we used to love the hot skewers). The steak was slathered in some salty BBQ/teriyaki sauce (can’t remember because we spit it out) so basically inedible and tough (great way to discourage asking for more.) Dessert was good but not great.

It was our top pick historically for the 5 years pre pandemic. Now no one wants to waste time. Sebastian’s Bistro seems comparable.
When were you there last? I was there May 16th and it definitely was not rolls with bacon. Here is a picture.

A7681463-9424-40F1-B770-25EDF1A192E3.jpeg

Ohana used to be an absolute must do for my family and I. It was very nostalgic for me and I remember overall positive experiences eating there. At least in my opinion Ohana hasn't been good in years, even before the pandemic. I haven't been in almost 10 years because I remember the food and service being pretty awful for how much you're paying to eat there. Same with Kona Cafe. The food and service there were just as awful and it's a shame since I'm a fan of the Polynesian's theme/aesthetic. I decided never to go back to those two restaurants ever again and eat elsewhere.

And butter...hhhhoooorrrraaayyyy!!!
How'd it taste?
We thought it was good. We loved the whole meal. I’m not going to lie and say it was haute cuisine because it isn’t. But it was enjoyable. I like my meat well done so that may color my perception a bit in that department; if you like your beef bloody than you won’t enjoy that portion of the meal. I really love the noodles and chicken wings the most but everything was good. I don’t eat crustaceans so can’t comment on the shrimp but my mother said it was good.

We are in the group that had 'Ohana as an absolute must-do almost every trip we did to WDW. We've eaten there at least 2 dozen times over the years. But in the past 5 years or so - definitely pre-pandemic changes - it was going downhill for us and now is a place we don't seek out to eat. Our last try was early 2020, a couple months before closure, and the meal was over-priced, mediocre, and the service was not as interactive and fun as we had in the past. Our trip 2 years earlier was even worse. Between menu changes and (imo) quality changes, not to mention the price, it's going to be awhile until I worry about getting a dinner reservation there. For years, I was one who always had it in my top 5 recommendations for dining at WDW. Not anymore. I don't think it's such a bad place that I'd try to talk people out of it - but it's just not the elite place we felt it used to be for our family.

We went in January and loved it as usual. The food timing is always a bit odd once you get into the main entrees. We'd completely forgotten about the steak being part of the meal by the time it arrived and had already eat our full. We'll be back in August and plan on getting a reservation but will likely just have the server skip the steak or only bring out a couple pieces.

The real Chefs at WDW are a corporate accounting team with the Cheese Wiz distributor on their speed dial.

Was there in April. Family favorite, we go every trip. Bread... great. First course with wings, noodles, dumplings.....awesome. Bread pudding.... amazing. Notice I left a course out.

Steak tough and dry. Chicken dry with gross chimichurri. Shrimp meely and flavorless. Tough to justify the price at this point.
Completely agree! I paid over $350 for us to basically eat Pot Stickers, Noodles, and Wings. Our Narcoosees, Steakhouse 71, and (believe it or not) Crystal Palace dinners were all much better

We ate there mid May and enoyed it. I usually skip the meat entree dishes anyway (fill up on the wings, noodles, and shrimp) and my DD was happy with the steak. I was disappointed, however, that there were no sauces for the shrimp.

We ate in April and thought it was fabulous (except for the overcooked steak). The chicken was so good. Much better than what they used to have. O'hana's is a must for us and we were not disappointed in April.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter