What’s your BIGGEST tip to tell a first time Alaskan cruiser!

Do you think two adults would enjoy the lumberjack show? My wife can't do anything high-adventure so I am looking for more low key stuff she will enjoy. She is already humoring me by letting me pick a non-tropical/non-Europe vacation. We don't mind a little corny either.
We had fun! It was entertaining. But a one and done. Walking around the town and lunch there are fun things to do as well.

Hi, my family and I also did the helicopter ride with dog sledding! My family still says it was one of the best days ever and definitely the best excursion ever! Very pricey but definitely worth it. Wear layers, it was not as cold as you would think. We went in July!

Only one other poster mentioned binoculars but these are a must for scoping the glaciers and hunting for whales waterspouts. Watching the calving glaciers is unparalleled and then hearing then the sounds of them cracking and crashing into the water. Still amazing from afar but I wished we had binoculars.

Never look away—the poor cruise photographer started packing up his camera bc the boat began to turn to exit the inlet and sure enough, the biggest calf of the day!! He missed it and was pissed.

Dunno if Glacier Bay National park is on DCL itineraries but bring your national park passport booklet (if you collect passport stamps). The park rangers come aboard that day and bring gift shop stuff to sell as well as the passport stamp.

Lastly, do the whale watching. I forget which whale species are most popular but I do believe orcas are one species. A couple at our dinner did the tour and had the most amazing view of humpback? whales forming a circle around a school of fish and all breaching simultaneously to feed.

Damn we were jealous.

Do they stamp the book in Skagway at the Klondike center?

I learned in AK that orcas are dolphins, not whales. There’s some good AK trivia.

More trivia, what the couple saw: Bubble net feeding.

“Sometimes, they swim in a shrinking circle, blowing bubbles as they go, and together, they are able to force fish upward. It's like a trap—fish aren't able to get out of the bubbles. The way the whales exhale the bubbles also creates a loud and intense sound that also helps with the process—fish can't handle the noise! Teamwork makes for an easier meal, you could say. It's an incredible example of cooperation that scientists say is learned.“ - Alaska collection .com
Yes, we got our NP passports stamped at the Klondike NP in Skagway. We were able to do most of the junior ranger activities at home, brought our printed booklets and the kids got junior ranger badges. We also did a junior ranger type thing at Mendenhall glacier visitor center (for Tongass National forest.)... probably got books stamped there too.

We haven't sailed DCL, but we did Alaska in 2020 and we have it booked again on a different cruise line for this year.

Don't necessarily be afraid to book excursions outside the cruise line. We booked Mendenhall Glacier/whale watching in Juneau, rented a Jeep in Skagway, a fishing excursion in Ketchikan, etc. Everything was third party. Of course do your research, but it is very easy to pick reputable companies and tour operators here. It helps that you're still in the US, there are no language barriers, and these companies rely on tourism. It's what we plan to do again this year. (I 100% understand that everyone isn't comfortable doing this, but wanted to share our experience. As always, do what's best for you!)

I think this was mentioned, but layering clothes is key! Don't worry about the huge & heavy winter coat. I lived in leggings, warm socks, fleeces, long sleeves, and brought one waterproof jacket that could roll up easily. Duck boots were a staple too.

Be ready for rain! We got really lucky and the only day it rained was in Ketchikan. And it poured. Hard. All day. Water resistant/proof clothes and boots are your friend!

Relax, watch the amazingly gorgeous scenery, and just enjoy. Alaska was a totally different feel than the Caribbean or any other cruise we've done - in a good way.

Do they stamp the book in Skagway at the Klondike center?

I learned in AK that orcas are dolphins, not whales. There’s some good AK trivia.

More trivia, what the couple saw: Bubble net feeding.

“Sometimes, they swim in a shrinking circle, blowing bubbles as they go, and together, they are able to force fish upward. It's like a trap—fish aren't able to get out of the bubbles. The way the whales exhale the bubbles also creates a loud and intense sound that also helps with the process—fish can't handle the noise! Teamwork makes for an easier meal, you could say. It's an incredible example of cooperation that scientists say is learned.“ - Alaska collection .com
Yes bubble net feeding! How amazing.

Yes, bring your NP book. I forgot that there were lots of NP stops, including Klondike.

We sailed out of anchorage/Whittier on Princess and Kenai fjords NP is there. And Denali if you do the drive.

I would suggest you buy a down puffy jacket in the next couple of months. I had a very hard time finding one in the summer when I sailed Alaska with Princess. I found one (too late) at Costco in the fall and I wear it from 20-50 degrees. It really works well at keeping me warm without overheating.

Also, make time to visit Vancouver Island before or after your cruise. Butchart Gardens is amazing. The garden to the right of Canada in Epcot is based on it. We saw the real thing before we went to WDW for the first time :).

@auntlynne shoukdbi dress the baby up as what Donald Duck is wearing or the Mikey fisherman outfit? 😂. I’m packing like 4 “Alaska” themed outfits our tuxedos and the nautical sailor shirts I’m so excited

Do they wear the Alaska outfits every day on the ship and nautical on the first and last?

I’m thinking f

Nautical
Formal
Alaska

Surely they have something else they wear

They wear nautical on the first and last, Alaskan while in Alaska. This year's Alaska season will be the 25th Anniversary Celebration so they will have special outfits just for that, too!

So I purchased the Alaskan Lumberjack Show DISNEY experience directly from there website which is cheaper from Disney.

I think i'll get my other excursions from other than DCL as well does anyone have their recommendations of who they used?

Do they wear the Alaska outfits every day on the ship and nautical on the first and last?

I’m thinking f

Nautical
Formal
Alaska

Surely they have something else they wear
FYI, you can also see the characters in their Alaska outfits if you do a Hawaii trip as well. Saw them last year and I was so surprised.

Hey everyone, I thought I would ask the experts in terms of what you think was your biggest tip and what you would’ve done differently going on your cruise to Alaska I had my final payment due and we’re locked and loaded ready to go

Late getting to this, and my 2 were on another line, but my biggest tip is:

Be VERY aware that wildlife can be on either side of the ship. I know everyone swears by a balcony, but I can tell you that the first time I sailed to Alaska I got a balcony because I figured I wouldn't do it again. 9 times out of 10, when they announced a wildlife sighting while I was in my cabin "getting my money's worth out of my balcony" it was on the other side of the ship. My second cruise I did inside and spent much more time on the open decks and was easily able to go from one side to the other depending on where the wildlife is.

So having your own balcony is great...just be aware that you are going to miss some sightings while you're using it.

we sailed with DCL last year, we splurged on the extended glacier hike helicopter tour and don't regret any of it. Was one of those life moment things and every other vacation pales in comparison. Only thing is that there's an age limit (8+?) and so our kiddos was oceanier club, which they didn't mind. But having them in there for 5 hours, during lunch time (we fed them till last minute), made us nervous. I think they are doing lunches again so that's not as much of an issue.

Don’t overlook Deck 4 to walk around during the glacier day. We went on the pool decks for a bit but it was so packed, so we moved to the secret aft deck (not sure if it’s there anymore) when we were closest to the glacier and got AMAZING photos. We spent the remainder of the time walking around Deck 4 or sitting on lounge chairs bundled up and watching the scenery go by.
Sadly the secret aft deck is no longer a “public” space.

Not sure they even still do the boat to get up closer to the glacier?
But if they do here’s my tip.

If your child can’t sit through an hour long Nat Geo program without the use of their phone happily, don’t take them on that other smaller boat. They are so bored! They played under the seats, but mostly on the stairs and surrounded the snack bar for hot chocolate and M&M’s talking to the snack guy or chase the few other kids around the rows of chairs.

There is a child that enjoys the nature but maybe can’t hold their interest that long. You should bring them and bring entertainment for them. Or they can play with the 4-5 kid’s books maybe. Condition unknown.

Don’t discount going private on your excursions. We did mostly private and it was a lot cheaper and only my family. We only did the cruise ones when there was no other options. Our favorite was a private guide in Skagway after our heli glacier dog sledding trip was cancelled due to bad weather. Tip 2 have a back up plan if you do plan to do any helicopter tour. They frequently get cancelled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter