• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What About Your Lifestyle/Habits Saves You Big $$$ ?

I don’t use the remote start often. Funny I never had one when I had to park outside but every car I’ve had since we’ve had a garage has it lol. Now dh’s truck has an app where he can lock/unlock/start his truck from anywhere in the US. Like he can be 500 miles away from it. That’s pretty handy in the summer especially. If you are somewhere parked in the sun you can start it and let it cool off without being close to it. So if you were leaving Disney you could start it as you are walking out the park entrance and it would be cool by the time you reach it vs needing to be close enough that you see your car to use the fob.
:thumbsup2

I won't buy a car without remote start or be willing to have one installed. My daughter had a Viper installed in her Rav4 and she has the option to start from her phone from anywhere. It is nice.

It would also be handy when I'm taking the train home from work which is an 18 min ride. As we get closer, I could start it to have it warm or cool by the time we arrive at my train station.
When we were shopping for a remote starter to buy for ds24 a few years ago, we were offered the ability to have it connected to a cell phone but I was worried about hackers and theft and such. Probably miniscule odds but that was the first thing that came to mind so we got the plain Viper that gives you a key fob.

The 2001 I bought new, that I'm replacing, has crank windows and no automatic locks. But the car before unlocked all 4 doors when you unlocked the drivers door. Hated that as a single female so was happy to not have auto locks. And when living in NC with summer tstorms having to run to get my bosses keys to shut his car windows when all I had to do was open my door and roll them up also made me happy. Though I wouldn't leave them down where I work now, my desk looked out at the parking lot and it was only emp for the most part. Also had a tape deck but I upgraded the stereo a few years after I got it to CD.

All this to say, new cars to me are like space ships or something. So many things and huge displays. Sound like I'm way older than I am but it's so unnecessary. I am sad for no heated seats but the cost of the package they are in plus the stuff in it I didn't want made so much more sense not to get. And this car is over twice as much as my brand new 01 that had 7 miles on it when I started the test drive.

And, I don't care how much, I want my heated and cooled seats! I wouldn't notice if I didn't have a sun/moon roof. I actually forget it's there. I love all the new tech and want all of it. but I'm pretty much that way about many things.

Plus I may be nearing twice as old as you! I think it's more what you've had or what you are used to as opposed to age. I've always wanted cars with the latest gadgets. And my older brother is the same, but was quite surprised to find my car had all the tech his did, although his was probably twice the price.

And, I don't care how much, I want my heated and cooled seats! I wouldn't notice if I didn't have a sun/moon roof. I actually forget it's there. I love all the new tech and want all of it. but I'm pretty much that way about many things.

Plus I may be nearing twice as old as you! I think it's more what you've had or what you are used to as opposed to age. I've always wanted cars with the latest gadgets. And my older brother is the same, but was quite surprised to find my car had all the tech his did, although his was probably twice the price.

Only had one car with cooled seats and it was also the only car we had with leather seats. It was a 2009 Lincoln sedan that was about $45K when new (we got it used). I will not do leather (or whatever fake leather-like material most have) unless they are cooled. The big problem today (to me) is if you bump up your trim level enough to get a few bells and whistles you really want, it usually lands you in a car with leather seats. Then you have to go to the highest level to get them cooled - if it's even available. My D went down a trim level because she didn't want the awful "leather" seats her Toyota would have come with, but then she found it lacks some basic things like sufficient interior lighting!! Unacceptable for a $30K+ car IMO. Ugh.

Only had one car with cooled seats and it was also the only car we had with leather seats. It was a 2009 Lincoln sedan that was about $45K when new (we got it used). I will not do leather (or whatever fake leather-like material most have) unless they are cooled. The big problem today (to me) is if you bump up your trim level enough to get a few bells and whistles you really want, it usually lands you in a car with leather seats. Then you have to go to the highest level to get them cooled - if it's even available. My D went down a trim level because she didn't want the awful "leather" seats her Toyota would have come with, but then she found it lacks some basic things like sufficient interior lighting!! Unacceptable for a $30K+ car IMO. Ugh.

I am a leather seat person.

I am a leather seat person.

Me too. Real leather breathes and you don’t really stick to it when it’s hot and you’re wearing shorts. It’s the fake leather (vinyl/plastic crap) that makes your skin stick to it.
I dont care if they use the fake stuff on the backs of the front seats but all of the parts that touch your skin should be the real deal.
I have a 2016 Lincoln MKC that I bought used in 2019. Their base model uses a “leather-like” material. Ugh. I knew then I’d have to go to a higher trim package to not be stuck with that crap.

You aren't almost twice my age 😊 I bought the 2001 new after I graduated from college... I just don't find all new technology necessary or helpful. And yes heated seats are great but it would have been kike another 3k for that package and any new car that I want is pushing what I actually want to pay. Seattle doesn't get that cold but my cranky back appreciates it. Now that I can park in the garage and will probably only end up going into work once a day starting sometime this fallish I'm really ok with it.

I didn't realize any car makers still used vinyl (or what we call pleather) for interior anymore. I thought it was either fabric or leather.

I didn't realize any car makers still used vinyl (or what we call pleather) for interior anymore. I thought it was either fabric or leather.
Lincoln definitely used pleather in their base model 2016 MKC, aka Premiere. Of course they used a more appealing name for it. :laughing:
Here is one for sale and even a Chevy dealer knew it's not real leather. I was shocked when I first started shopping for one of these. Mine is a Reserve trim package and has real leather.
I can't speak for their newer vehicles whether this is still being done today.

I must be missing something. I live in a snow belt area with very intense winters. Don't you guys have winter coats you wear when you are driving Nov-March? I wear a down coat that goes down to my lower thighs. My bum does not feel a cold seat underneath me. The fabric seats do not burn me in the hot summer months, either.

I am noticing that I am considerably less into cars and trim levels, though, than others on this thread. My drive to work is just about 15 minutes, so that may account for it. You guys may have to spend a lot more time in your cars. Even when I was driving my DD to school all those years, it was still about a 15 minute drive, one way, to take her, no matter which school she was attending. I will admit that I am a low-tech person and very frugal, though. :-)

I live in Michigan:
-I only recently got a long coat.
-I still wear my shorter coats at times, such as skiing.
-I HATE driving/riding in a car with my coat on so take it off if I will be in the car longer than 10’ish minutes.

I must be missing something. I live in a snow belt area with very intense winters. Don't you guys have winter coats you wear when you are driving Nov-March? I wear a down coat that goes down to my lower thighs. My bum does not feel a cold seat underneath me. The fabric seats do not burn me in the hot summer months, either.

I am noticing that I am considerably less into cars and trim levels, though, than others on this thread. My drive to work is just about 15 minutes, so that may account for it. You guys may have to spend a lot more time in your cars. Even when I was driving my DD to school all those years, it was still about a 15 minute drive, one way, to take her, no matter which school she was attending. I will admit that I am a low-tech person and very frugal, though. :-)

Lincoln definitely used pleather in their base model 2016 MKC, aka Premiere. Of course they used a more appealing name for it. :laughing:
Here is one for sale and even a Chevy dealer knew it's not real leather. I was shocked when I first started shopping for one of these. Mine is a Reserve trim package and has real leather.
I can't speak for their newer vehicles whether this is still being done today.

That's crazy. Why would they not just use cloth? I couldn't imagine buying a Lincoln with vinyl seats.

You're not missing anything. Some people are just not into techy stuff. My brother in law is the same way. He is in his 50s but still never had an interest in owning a PC or learning how to use the internet. Dh helped his brother's kids get set up with computers because their dad couldn't even tell them how to turn one on. He has a cell phone but I'd guess it's an old flip phone or a slider. He couldn't care less what others think about that either.
I am the same way with clothing and purses. I am not constantly buying new things. I've been using the same purse that I bought in 2013 that I paid 15 Euro for in Florence, Italy. The leather is still in great shape but the fabric interior is starting to wear. I don't give a flying fark if other people are tired of looking at it.

Some people are just the opposite and constantly crave new techy things. It's all a matter of taste, budget and perceived value. I really enjoy the features that my car has. I wouldn't have bought a new car just to get those features but once I was shopping, I decided that I'd like to have them.
Dh loves to drive my car but has now decided that he doesn't need all that for his next truck (currently has a 2011). He says he just wants a base model/work truck without all the bells and whistles. He loves techy stuff but is also thrifty and those traits clash within him sometimes because it's hard to be thrifty and want the latest thing at the same time.

@ruadisneyfan2 So true! Now, I would not be able to do my job if I weren't proficient enough with computer, software, and iphone. So, I must be drawing the line with personal gadgets and updates. I just got rid of my iphone 6 last year because it was running out of memory with it being 5.5 years old. I replaced it with a new 8, not the newer models. It does just fine with what I need and want.

My big "need" for a car was the mid-size SUV with the highest clearance because the city does not plow my alley, and some harsh winters (Polar Vortex 1 and 2 recently) the alley builds up mountains/valleys made of ice. I had only had my minivan one year when the underside was torn up by that ice, exiting my garage and driveway and backing up in that stinking alley. So, lots of research on the next car--had to have a very high road clearance but not be a truck or large size SUV due to cost. I found it, and so far--crossing fingers--it has made it through my alley unscathed.

I don't pay much for purses, either. For the life of me, I can't see paying many hundreds of bucks for a top of the line designer bag. My circumstances are such that saving not spending is where I need to be. I can't say that if I won the lottery I would not be all over getting upgraded cars and purses, haha. Probably not, though. I would go for a whole new house!

Cut car expenses down to the bone by 1. drive an old reliable Toyota until it's not economical to repair and 2. drive as little as possible. Buying a new car before it dies = increasing cost per mile driven. Every mile driven = a mile closer to the car's demise.

Cut purchase cost of anything AND consumption. People often will waste things they buy for cheap. For example, they buy 20 boxes of cereal at clearance 50% off, but ends up giving away 10 boxes to family and friends who didn't need handouts. Net effect: no savings. It's a slippery slope to justify buying something because it's cheap. Buying a Prius for high mpg then driving more than usual = no savings.

Only buy things that you need, not want. Focus on maximizing 401K, IRA, HSA, etc each year. 20 years from now, your kid won't be happier because he/she had 2 gifts instead of 1 at Christmas all these years, but you'll have more money set aside for their college.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter