What age for a one parent trip?

Peaseblossom36

Mouseketeer
Curious what age is a good one for a one parent trip? I'm wanting to do a mother daughter trip but I'm wondering if I'm crazy for considering it, mostly because I hate flying. We went as a family in September and had a great time but I've been thinking more and more that it would be fun to do a trip just the two of us.

The answer has more to do with the participants than the age. My kids were experienced fliers and overall very easy children. I can't recall the first age where we traveled alone but we were attempting to visit all 50 states in one year and I think they were 8 & 10. We were pretty much on a plane twice a month. I have no fear and would have traveled alone with either of them (or both) at any age.

Has you child flown before? how were they on the trip with both parents? How well do they behave normally? Are they able to keep themselves entertained for however long your flight?

The answer has more to do with the participants than the age. My kids were experienced fliers and overall very easy children. I can't recall the first age where we traveled alone but we were attempting to visit all 50 states in one year and I think they were 8 & 10. We were pretty much on a plane twice a month. I have no fear and would have traveled alone with either of them (or both) at any age.

Has you child flown before? how were they on the trip with both parents? How well do they behave normally? Are they able to keep themselves entertained for however long your flight?
She did great on our flights in September, the outbound flight she watched take off and then promptly went to sleep and then woke up just in time to land, the flight home was similar except she woke up half way and then looked at books. She's also a very easy child and honestly handled the entire trip really well.

If we could drive I would 100% not be worried.

I took my oldest just before she turned 3 and we had a great time. Took both my dd's solo when they were 2 and 4 and every year thereafter.

You have to plan and take things slow, the right stroller, backpack as a diaper bag, plan for meals etc. If your used to doing things alone with them on a daily basis like the zoo, park mall, museums and things go well then that makes things easier.

I took my oldest just before she turned 3 and we had a great time. Took both my dd's solo when they were 2 and 4 and every year thereafter.

You have to plan and take things slow, the right stroller, backpack as a diaper bag, plan for meals etc. If your used to doing things alone with them on a daily basis like the zoo, park mall, museums and things go well then that makes things easier.
I was thinking of trying to squeeze it in just before that 3rd birthday. I’m not really worried about the parks, since I'm pretty used to outings at home and we did end up just the two of us during our September trip.

It’s really just the flight that worries me, and that’s more on me than the toddler.

Is your concern the flight or Disney? The first time I flew alone with DS was when he was 9 weeks old. My daughter’s first flight was at 3 weeks old. Needless to say they are excellent flyers, and I have never been afraid to get on a plane with them by myself.

As far as Disney goes, as long as you focus the trip entirely around your child’s interests/needs then you should be ok at pretty much any age. It just may not be the trip that YOU would want, and depending on your child’s age, you may never get a break.

I was thinking of trying to squeeze it in just before that 3rd birthday. I’m not really worried about the parks, since I'm pretty used to outings at home and we did end up just the two of us during our September trip.

It’s really just the flight that worries me, and that’s more on me than the toddler.
I did that exact trip with my son. Flying with an almost 3 year old is super easy. All you need is an iPad with lots of TV shows, headphones, and snacks. Check your suitcase instead of trying to carry on to minimize the “stuff” you need to keep track of, and make sure you have a good stroller for the airport. I think I also ordered stuff to be delivered to the hotel where possible to make my life easier (I am very frugal in my day to day life so that I don’t have to worry about costs so much on vacations).

You can do this!

I took my almost 3 dd and 10 month old ds on a flight that had a layover and all went well. I tried to bring a carseat aboard but was unable to buckle it in so it had to be gate checked along with the double stroller I was taking. I found that if there were plenty of snacks they were happy. The baby slept most of the trip.

I have a (very tall, very spirited) 2.5 year old and, while I am interested in taking him solo on trips, I probably would not do it until he no longer needs to sometimes be bodily carried out of places, because I legitimately do not have the upper body strength to do it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter