What age for baby to go to Disneyland?

jlwhitney

Thumper2007
We are going next year sometime. Hoping to go during the 60th or Christmas. We will be flying in from Florida.

Options:

1. Mid May: DD will be 3yrs 4 months and baby will be 4 months
2. Mid-End of September: Baby will be 8 months
3. Mid November: Baby will 10 months
4. Beginning of December: Baby will be 11 Months

* Also hoping to book a 1 or 2 bedroom DVC villa at the 7 months, so that is a big factor too. Days of the week are flexible so that should make it easier.

My son was 4 months old when we first went to WDW.. we werent there for him.. he met up with friends with 10 yr old triplets..

at 4 months old it was sooo easy... he slept.. ate played for a little bit and slept again.. very easy to contain as he was not moving etc...

and he loved being in the front pack when awake.. lots of things to see.. we took his larger stroller so he could lie down and sleep..

babies older than 6 months are tending to be more active and mobile and I would think a little bit more plaining would be needed

I think this is such a personal decision. Some people say babies shouldn't go at all. I'm not of the same mindset, but it depends on what you plan on doing, and what you want to see when you go. I'd concentrate more on your daughter who'll be three, and what will be available. Personally, I like option 4 the best with option 1 second. Mid/End September is pretty crowded with the Halloween decorations and Halloween party, though your 3 year old might like it. The resort is beautiful at that time. Mid-November isn't really bad, either. Holiday decorations will be up, and crowds won't be too bad. Option 3 isn't bad, either, come to think of it. I think May & September will be most crowded and possible shorter days (school trips in May & grad nights, and Halloween in September with Halloween nights).

I agree that bringing a baby is a very personal decision and depends on your family and your comfort levels. In terms of timing, I think it depends a lot on whether you want to see the 60th Celebration, HalloweenTime, or the Holidays. There is no formal end date for the 60th Celebration announced yet, but most guesses have it ending either at the start or end of summer 2016. So your mid-ay trip has the best chance of having the 60th Celebration is still occurring (note that Disneyland Forever fireworks, PtN and WoC: Celebrate are likely to last for years). Mid-September would be fun if you like HalloweenTime. Mid-November is usually when the Holidays have their formal start in DLR, but there is usually the Avengers Marathon around Veteran's Day. Early December is also a great time for the Holidays, but the weekends tend to be very busy (same for November). Basically, any of the dates have their pros and cons, so I think it depends on which "season" you are most interested in seeing.

We did 5 days at my daughter's first birthday and it was wonderful. She had a wonderful time.

I think 4 months is too young for the baby to get any real enjoyment out of it, so I'd opt for one of the others. They don't have to *remember* for it to be worth it, but I'd want them to enjoy it.

My son was 9 month old and my daughter was 6 month old when they first went. Just the pictures alone with the characters are worth it.

The baby will get nothing from it, maybe staring at characters, but there are a lot of babies around for sure!

My oldest daughter was only 3 weeks old when she first visited the parks. We were visiting close friends to introduce the new family member and, since we were there anyhow, we went to DL and CA, too. This is of course only one mom's opinion, but I don't think either of the above scenarios makes much of a difference, so I would go with what works best for you (convenience of travel dates, price of flights, availability of suitable accommodations, crowd levels, etc.). Regardless if the baby is 4 months or 11 months, you will be juggling a stroller or baby carrier, there'll be a lot of napping in said stroller, and baby will not have any lasting memories later on but will probably be fascinated by all the fancy lights and colors. In either case, there'll be plenty of rides that baby can do with you (though you might cover the little ears in loud dark rides, such as Winnie the Poo).

If you do a front carry with an Ergo, sling, or Bjorn (which I did and loved, since it was much easier to maneuver the crowds, though we in later years appreciated the ability of the stroller to hold much of our stuff), earlier might be better than later, since baby will be less heavy and easier to carry. An advantage of going later might be that DD will be older and probably better to express herself verbally, which in my kids made a big difference in being able to reason and communicate (which can cut down on much stress and tantrums, when over-stimulation or frustration hit). Also, big sis will probably get more lasting memories out of the trip, when she's a bit older. It might also be easier on you to travel with a baby and a 4-year-old than with a baby and a 3-year-old, but that of course also depends on the individual kids' temperaments and personality.

Whatever you decide, make sure to take advantage of ride switching and of the baby center in DLand (SE side of hub, next to Plaza Inn). It was my favorite place (traveling in October in fairly hot weather). Quiet nursing areas, friendly staff, ice cold water fountain, miniature sized toilet for DD, and the opportunity to pick up any baby supplies you might have forgotten. California Adventure has a baby center, too (in the Pacific Wharf area), but I found the DLand one was much more beautiful and better equipped (though that was in 2005, so maybe the CA one has caught up since).

Either way, I'm sure you'll have lots of fun!

We aren't going for baby, but for DD and ME! Last time I went I was pregnant and couldn't do many things. We are find doing rider swap. More of trying to figure out what time will be easier and best. DD already loves going to WDW so I know she will have a blast.

We are going to go for 5 full park days and 2 travel days. So plenty of time to take it easy and enjoy. If at all possible we would love to be there for 60th but its not a deal breaker. Its not a once in a lifetime trip or anything.

We took our son to DL at 4 months and WDW at 11 months. By far, the 4 month trip was the easiest on us, as he was not mobile and was much more docile. At 11 months, though, he had an absolute blast! He really enjoyed the rides and simply absorbing the atmosphere of WDW. We couldn't pass a balloon seller without an explosion of excitement! However, meals were challenging because he didn't want to sit for very long. Character meals were good until the characters made their way to us, and then he cried a LOT. However, our son is a wild man who isn't happy if he has to sit in one place for very long. Your child may vary.

As far as when to go - I would go during the later 2 options for the weather (if you're wearing the baby, or even if your baby is in a stroller it is hard to keep baby cool - IMHO) and for the holiday decorations. We were at WDW in mid November, and I know it's apples to oranges with regard to the weather - it is easier to keep a baby warm rather than keep him/her cool. Also, the holiday decorations are a wonderful addition to the parks - for you and for the kids!

We took our son to DL at 4 months and WDW at 11 months. By far, the 4 month trip was the easiest on us, as he was not mobile and was much more docile. At 11 months, though, he had an absolute blast! He really enjoyed the rides and simply absorbing the atmosphere of WDW. We couldn't pass a balloon seller without an explosion of excitement! However, meals were challenging because he didn't want to sit for very long. Character meals were good until the characters made their way to us, and then he cried a LOT. However, our son is a wild man who isn't happy if he has to sit in one place for very long. Your child may vary.

As far as when to go - I would go during the later 2 options for the weather (if you're wearing the baby, or even if your baby is in a stroller it is hard to keep baby cool - IMHO) and for the holiday decorations. We were at WDW in mid November, and I know it's apples to oranges with regard to the weather - it is easier to keep a baby warm rather than keep him/her cool. Also, the holiday decorations are a wonderful addition to the parks - for you and for the kids!

Im not too overly worried about weather. We live in N. Florida anyway. If we don't go to DL in May then we will go to WDW in May...lol. Plus S. Cali heat is not nearly as humid. We have been to DL in May (wasn't hot at all when we were there), June and Sept (which was crazy hot 108)

We are going next year sometime. Hoping to go during the 60th or Christmas. We will be flying in from Florida.

Options:

1. Mid May: DD will be 3yrs 4 months and baby will be 4 months
2. Mid-End of September: Baby will be 8 months
3. Mid November: Baby will 10 months
4. Beginning of December: Baby will be 11 Months

* Also hoping to book a 1 or 2 bedroom DVC villa at the 7 months, so that is a big factor too. Days of the week are flexible so that should make it easier.

There are pros and cons to any of your options. Four months sounds nice to me because you aren't having to deal with a wiggly toddler who needs to move/walk all.the.time and has trouble standing in lines or doesn't want to sit in the stroller or whatever. At four months, you can just carry the baby around in an Ergo or stroller, and the baby is probably happily entertained by the sights or sleeping.

With the 10-11 month old, the child may get really excited about meeting characters, you'll get cuter, more expressive photos, and they will enjoy some of the rides and attractions. They can also feed themselves cheerios in the stroller, so you aren't having to stop for snacks to nurse/bottle feed. They can snack while you are walking.

So... easier traveler with no interest in the attractions or wiggly, active traveler with excitement about the attractions. 6 to one, half dozen to the other. :)

Maybe think about some of the other things playing into it. September will be hot for baby wearing/carrying/nursing. September would have the Halloween party though. November/December would have Christmas decorations. Also, think about the height of your 3-4 year old. You'll have more options of rides for her when she is taller.

No one else has addressed the age of your older child. We took our DD at 3 and at 4. 4 was better. She less scared about characters and rides at 4 than at 3, and generally easier to deal with. Our younger one also enjoyed the parades and shows at 11 months old. At 4 months they are easy and portable, but getting nothing out of it. An 11 month old won't remember it, but will have fun.

No one else has addressed the age of your older child. We took our DD at 3 and at 4. 4 was better. She less scared about characters and rides at 4 than at 3, and generally easier to deal with. Our younger one also enjoyed the parades and shows at 11 months old. At 4 months they are easy and portable, but getting nothing out of it. An 11 month old won't remember it, but will have fun.

My DD loves Disney already and is not afraid of characters or rides at all. We went to WDW in Feb at just over 2 years and on a Disney Cruise this May and she talked about them for weeks after. We are going to WDW in Sept. Shes been doing WDW and Disney Cruises since 11 Months old.

4 months! We took DS when he was 5 months and it was THE BEST! Napped on the go. We would do morning nap in the stroller, afternoon in his crib. Slept on the plane, would sleep everywhere. No need to mess with baby food. Bottles are the easiest.

If you want the kid to enjoy it, I liked when we took my girl at 9 months. She loved the park and was still quiet enough to sit in the stroller. Taking our youngest at a year was difficult. And she didn't like as many things. As for your older girl, ours was two months shy of 3 the last time and it was great fun!

I would personally go with option 1. We took DS when he was 5 months and it was quite enjoyable because he would just eat and sleep mostly. If baby is starting to walk around 1 year old then it's going to be more difficult to keep him/her contained. Happy planning!

Our little princess was 8 months on her first trip. Dealt with an 11 hour flight perfectly, nappy changing in a plane toilet is an art! She loved it without question. We did San Francisco first with a jaunt upto northern California then back to Napa and on to Anaheim for a week in DL. I don't think that there's any minimum age to travel, just always in the hands of the parents. We've got friends who say they'll take their kids to WDW when they think they'll remember the trip (kids 8 years +) Jnr PTT can sing every song from every ride in DL at 7. Travel, at every opportunity you have :)

I am leaning more towards the May dates...which can really be anywhere from beg of May to Beg of june. Want to see 60th and think baby will travel easier there with the long flights.

We love to travel and don't really let a new baby slow things down too much. Plus I know we will be back to DL a few more times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter