What am I missing but not shopping in the countries at Epcot?

The candy! Inexpensive chocolate pieces in Germ, France, Italy. Lots of choc bars in the UK with different names than what we have in the US. Used to be fudge to die for in Germany; now it is all caramel, but still good.

We love the candy in the UK so Epcot is the only place I can get it without traveling out of the country or ordering online.

We also did Pick a Pearl at the Japan Pavillion. It was wonderful and my 4 yr old DD still talks about her necklace.

We also got a pickle ornament at the German Pavillion. I have wanted to start the pickle ornament tradition for a few years now, but could never find a pickle ornament anywhere. Lo and behold, there were a lot to pick from at the German Christmas shop.

We have a great collection of bunny bowls from Japan and the beginning of a spectacular collection of small, painted wooden folk art animals from Mexico! Can't wait to go back at the end of this month.

Candy in Japan (tons of fun and different items). Laila in Norway (most times its just to sample ;)). Tea and Dr. Who stuff in the UK. Soccer balls wherever :goodvibes. My favorite purchase ever was a little whimsical black kitty tote bag. It was expensive, but was perfect for me. I saw it in February and resisted it, but made up for it in October! I never have tons of money to spend, but I wouldn't miss a trip around the WS.

Shopping the countries is one of my favorite things!!! My goodness Japan and Morocco!!! Not only the shopping but the beautiful tile work and real feel of just being there is wonderful. I always find a new private little spot to enjoy some coffee or just people watch. The only shop I can't stand is in Norway. .....but that's only because I get sick from the Flippin perfume they sell.

You should at least give it the opportunity to impress you.

We love shopping in Epcot. We just got back from our road trip including Disney and collected "candy around the world". We picked chocolates and biscuits from many of the countries. We had a blast eating them last night.

also, love shopping in Mexico.
Japan for the chopsticks
kids love putting on the cologne (very strong smell but they like it) in Norway
Duffy stuff

It's just fun looking around at night after dinner.
d

Hand carved, hand painted animal sculptures in Mexico. My daughter chooses one every year as her Disney souvenir. The guy remembered us and last year while we went to pay the cashier (at a separate booth) he wrapped us a free surprise for when we got home. They're beautiful and the smaller ones are inexpensive.

If your daughters are huge Hello Kitty fans, you have done them a great disservice by never visiting the Mitsukoshi Department Store in Japan. HUGE. If you are moving counter-clockwise around the WS, enter on the ground floor entrance right off of the walkway around the WS. It's the first entrance door you come to taking that route. It's like Hello Kitty exploded and multiplied in your face like a bunch of Gremlins.

I agree about the mass produced items, however one thing I have to get while in Epcot is Tea from the Twinings Tea shop in the UK (I also buy it for my mom and dad who are huge Tea drinkers). The funny thing is, I can find Twining's tea in my local grocery store but I refuse to buy it there, I'd much rather get it at my favorite shop in my favorite park :goodvibes.

I wish the Dis had a "Like" button, LOL. I do the same thing. Tea always tastes better when it comes from WDW.

The Epcot World Showcase is always high on my disney to-do list. The shopping is pretty wonderful, not to mention the food, but the cultural value behind it is immeasurable.
Last year my brother and I took advantage of France and Italy to practice our French and Italian, respectively. We walked into the shops and just started up a conversation with the cast members behind the counters. I did horribly in Italy, but the cast members and I had a great time trying to communicate in their native tongue. The really enjoyed the effort I was making. As for the French, they were impressed by my brother's pronunciation, and were actually giving him hints and tips on the language.
Oh and the pictures. Maybe you don't find anything you consider worth buying, but there is a great chance to get pictures of your party shopping though some authentic looking markets. Mexico, China, Morocco, Japan, are just some that look as if you are in the country of origin, and while your party is perusing the items on display, it's a great chance to get some candid shots for the memories.
Also crazy/fancy hats! The World Showcase shops are a great place to find hats from each country, and you don't have to buy them. Just grab a few, take a funny picture and move on.
Last trip my other brother insisted on it.

As for things that are a must to buy for me, it all depends on what I'm looking for or if anything catches my eye. Usually it's the food and candy that does it for me. Though I'm yearly disappointed that Canada does not carry Maynard Winegums (gummie candy that does not contain any wine lol).

Just give it a chance, take a look, if you get board, you can always take one of the boats across the lagoon back to future world instead of walking the rest of the way back.

my girls always stop in Morocco for Henna Tattoos. last trip we had to stop in England for Jammie Dodgers(?) and Morocco for a fez for my whovian daughter

Our Whovian had to buy Jammie Dodgers too but she decided not to get the Moroccan fez because she found cheaper ones on Amazon :D She hasn't opened the Jammie Dodgers; evidently they're room decor, not cookies (or biscuits, I guess I should say).

There's Dr. Who stuff in the UK pavilion now? My kids will be thrilled. They both LOVE Dr. Who. Do you recall how much the fez cost? As stated above, I have a couple of whovians myself. DD in particular really wants a fez. I could order her a cheap one off Amazon (altho not all of theirs are cheap). But she would probably love to get one at Disney.

They had a fairly nice selection of t-shirts, posters and other miscellaneous stuff like magnets and some funny door hangers we bought. Also some Downton Abbey merchandise.

I want to say the fez was $18. My daughter decided to pass on that because she found cheaper ones on Amazon.

Also, have you heard of a store called Hot Topic? Our Whovian has gotten some fun Disney and Doctor Who clothing there. They have great Peter Pan and Alice stuff. It's strange to find more fun shirts and things outside the parks.

Shopping at Epcot is fun as you have huge assortment of stuff in front of you. However, on our last trip I was disappointed as I found most of the items available on Amazon. I use the amazon scan it feature to double check the price. I guess, I thought the items would be more unique to Epcot. I was scanning mostly in the Japan pavilion.

Thanks I never knew these links were there!

Thanks soooo much everyone! I'm so convinced that I have missed out on some cool stuff! I can't wait to go check them out! I have to make a list of all the stuff everyone has mentioned so I don't miss anything! No one has mentioned Italy, is there anything interesting there?
We didn't shop in Italy during our last trip but in the past they've had chocolate, leather goods, crystal and such things, and wine. They tend to be pricey.

If you shop in Morocco be sure to open any doors you see. If it opens you are welcome to go in and there is a museum and a beautiful courtyard that many people never see.

One of our favorite gifts was bought in China. We bought on of the Tomb Warriors. It has a special place in our living room and is such a conversation starter when friends come over

I hate to admit this but I have never gone in the shops at Epcot! (other than the stores in Future World) I always assumed it would be expensive things I would not be interested in. So what I am missing? Should I venture in on my trip this year? My daughters are big Hello Kitty, My Melody fans, do they have items in Japan? What types of things do you find? What countries should I try for unique items that aren't super pricey?

I go for the junk food. alas all the candy I really like from Japan they don't carry.( oh, Pinky how I miss thee) PLENTY of hello kitty stuff, including some stuff that doesn't get otherwise exported. the lacquer items are not that expensive.

They had a fairly nice selection of t-shirts, posters and other miscellaneous stuff like magnets and some funny door hangers we bought. Also some Downton Abbey merchandise.

I want to say the fez was $18. My daughter decided to pass on that because she found cheaper ones on Amazon.

Also, have you heard of a store called Hot Topic? Our Whovian has gotten some fun Disney and Doctor Who clothing there. They have great Peter Pan and Alice stuff. It's strange to find more fun shirts and things outside the parks.

Thanks so much for the info. DD will have a blast there and sounds like I'll probably be able to find something good to bring home to DS. Looks like he'll probably miss this trip to do his internship so I'd like to bring him some nice goodies to compensate.:) I have looked at the stuff at Hot Topic and they do have some great items. I was going to get a couple things for DD for Christmas but didn't order them in time. But they get neat new stuff in all the time.

If you do the Kim Possible/Agent P adventures, they often send you into the shops. I recall activating a choo choo train in the Germany shop, and getting a free tea bag in the UK shop, as part of those storylines. The kids loved it, and it was a way to enter the shops with a purpose other than buying something!

I really love looking at the stores around the world showcase, my favs are definitely Mexico and Japan, bought some things from there that were decent prices :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter