What annoys you about your own home?

Wellll

My "main" canister vacuum sits next to the hutch, out in the open (although against a wall). I have to use it several times a day to vacuum bird fluff.

I do have a smaller canister that takes up floor space in my master closet, which I only use for the master bathroom.

And I have an upright for carpet that just sits in the hall... right about where a coat closet should be.

I know... it's just ridiculous.

We also don't have a coat closet, so our vacuum just sits out in the corner of the eat in part of the kitchen.

I actually like our little house, but:

The shape of our living room. It's narrow and long and with doors, openings to other rooms, and windows, there's only one real usable wall for furniture. It's like playing tetris sometimes trying to fit anything and still make it walkable. Christmas tree doesn't help either!

It's only a 2 BR/1BA ranch, which size wise if perfectly fine for just DH & I. But I'm realizing now I'd really like another room just for an office/storage space. Or if the rooms in general were just a bit larger.

I will not buy another house with just 1 BA. Has to be at least 1 1/2.

I adore our yard (about 2 acres), but the deck is just too small to really enjoy. You can't fit an entire dining set. Plan on expanding it next year if all goes well.

So funny how we don't notice things in our own homes until after we live there for awhile and then think "how did I not notice this when we bought it?!"

Now that you mention it, I wish I had a bathroom on my first floor. There is a full bath in the basement and 2 on the second floor, but none on the first floor. I have a place that can be retrofit for it, but then I'd lose my coat closet.

Wait, there isn't even a half bath on the main level? That is SUPER weird.

Wait, there isn't even a half bath on the main level? That is SUPER weird.
The house was built in the 1920s as a 6X6 double house. It was converted to a single house in the 1980s, by the former owner. They didn't install a half bath, but they DID install a 14 foot wet bar. I guess we all have our priorities. lol

Conservatory on the back of the house which is too cold in winter, and too hot in summer. A room I just walk through to get to the back yard and that's it. It was on when I bought the house 16 years ago and I still don't like it. One day I'll do something about it.

- House is on a slab (no basement), so our first floor feels 10-15 degrees colder than upstairs
- Super tiny closet in the master bedroom

When I saw the title, literally the first thing that popped into my mind was the slab and lack of basement. We also have a crazy lack of good closet space in the house.

I'm suprised no one has mentioned it yet, but the thing that annoys me most about my house 9 month into a pandemic is the constant state of mess and chaos. PICK UP YOUR CRAP, SMALL PEOPLE!
Phew. I feel better now. Thanks for letting me vent.

I will say, I am grateful that our new home (we moved this year to Colorado) has the water heater in the basement. Our last home in Texas had two water heaters in the attic! Now granted, the area we came from in Texas had no basements due to the water table, but a water heater should never be placed in the attic! At least put it in the garage. If it is in the attic and it bursts, your whole house gets wrecked with water damage. I knew of 2 families that happened to.

Wood burning fireplace.

Love my house....1915, two story plus a cool finished attic (DH office space). It's just the two of us, and of the three houses and several apartments we've lived in, this is our favorite. Lots of character (original floors, front door and clawfoot tub) with a modern kitchen. The previous owners opened up the first floor so it doesn't have the small room/boxy feel of homes from that period. The deck/patio/yard are perfect for us and our three dogs. But I'd love to have a real fireplace.

Our kitchen is too small, and the master br closet is also too small. Overall, would love more storage. I do love the large front porch, and that we have a large pond in the backyard.

I just hear another thing that annoys me, fighter jets flying overhead. We are nowhere near the Air Force base so we had no idea when we bought the house that we were in their flight pattern. Our agent didn't know that either. If I'm on the phone I have to pause the conversation when they're flying above us because I can't hear anything. I'm so glad we didn't live here when our kids were babies.

The thing that annoys me the most is the only way to get to the basement is through the garage (not heated). We live in the northeast and I hate doing laundry in the winter. :cold:

Reading a lot of the replies, I feel that I don't have sufficient gripes to gripe about, lol. We chose our home plan, made some modifications prior to building (five feet longer on one end to make kitchen, laundry, and garage larger) 20 years ago.
Not complaints really, but wish we would have built a ranch (at least Master is on first floor) also a 4 season sun room (which we did debate, but didn't want to block any light to living area). Other than that, we still love our home and 2 1/2 acres in a suburban 'non' HOA subdivision (hate them).
The replies I read of those wanting a wood burning fireplace made me remember why I don't want one again. Had them in several homes as we were transferred several times with dh's employment and loved and hated them - got so tired of the mess even though we were so careful - now are enjoying our lovely, no mess, gas fireplace!

Our house was built in the 70’s. If it were built today if would have two HVAC units. To cool the upstairs (where the bedrooms are) the main floor is cold.

I wish we had a covered front porch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter