What are handicapped rooms like at Pop Century?

vhoffman

DIS Veteran
Has anyone stayed at the Pop Century in a handicapped accessible room? What was it like? Did it have a wlak-in or roll-in shower? Were there two beds or just one king? How easy is it to get around the resort--is it a long ways to the food courts, bus stops, etc., from the handicapped rooms? Are they on the forst floor?

Hi, vhoffman!

We stayed in a wheelchair accessible room last year. We were in the 50's section and on the third floor (there are elevators). Our room had a king size bed and there was a roll-in shower with a flip down bench. Oh, and a small fridge was in the armoire...not the dorm sized fridge, but a smaller version of that type. I thought the resort was very easy to get around and the only complaint that we had was that there was not adequate parking for the size of the resort.

Do all the HC rooms have just a king sized bed? Do some have two doubles? We are a family of four so a king wouldn't be enough.

vhoffman said:
Do all the HC rooms have just a king sized bed? Do some have two doubles? We are a family of four so a king wouldn't be enough.

my info is based on 1/2004....

the HC room only came with one king bed. DD7 is not able to share a bed with me because she thrashes and i have neurological/sensitivity problems, so they gave us a roll-away bed for her. (brought in from another resort)this made it impossible for me to use my rollator in the room, but everything was so packed in that i just held onto furniture, walls, etc. Our room was exactly like figaro described, except it was on the first floor of the 50's building.

i recommend just making your reservation for 4 people in one room and then telling them about your need for an accessible room and see what happens from there....

If you can afford it....I know it is a bit more. We stayed at the POR and the rooms are much bigger and they can sleep 5 so there is quite a bit more room for the wheelchair. I think we paid $139 for AP rate last December. We are going again this year and we will be staying at the POR again. If all else fails try calling Special Services they may have some suggestions. They helped us on quite a few occasions. Good Luck!

Be careful with POR handicap rooms. There are problems with the shower and toilet access if you are wheelchair dependent.

I heard they do have accessible rooms with two doubles and you'd be assigned one of these for a party of four. Lisa- could you elaborate on the problem with toilet/shower access? Are the bathrooms similar to the All-Star properties?
Kathy

The toilet is badly placed making it difficult to get a wheelchair to the shower.

We were asked by special services if we needed an accessible room with two beds or just one, as they definitely have accessible rooms at Pop Century that can hold families of four.

From the Pop Century FAQ on the Resorts Board:

Q: What is the room mix?
King Bed Accessible 63
King Bed Typical 81
Dbl/Dbl Bed Accessible 115
Dbl/Dbl Bed Typical 2621

So there are accessible room with two double beds at Pop Century.

What this does not tell us is how many accessible rooms have roll-in showers and how many accessible rooms have tubs with grab bars.

Carol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter