• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What are some successes in your life?

is your DH's overtime one of the successes of your life? don't get this

Not to be rude, but if you don't get it, just move on. OP shouldn't have to explain herself

My DH had a lot of overtime last year, and we're now putting it into home improvements. Lots of work, but a great feeling as things come together!

I feel like I can share in a bit of my children's successes, but not take too much credit for them. Both are doing the college thing now, one getting her bachelor's in a few months, the other just starting on her doctorate. They both did very well in high school, and got great scholarships. I feel like I supported them well while they worked hard to do what they did.

Personally, I learned how not to do things by observing my parents, and feel proud that I have learned from their mistakes. They loved me, but both had/have their issues, and it was a rough growing up at times. I learned not to use them as an excuse.

I hope to finish writing my first book by the end of the summer, and get it published. That would be a huge success for me!

I can afford an iPhone, which I'm using to post on Dis from Hawaii, while the rest of the island sleeps.

Ok. Not much of a success but I'm board. :)

Pretty much just being here where I am. Everyone is faced with challenges and hurdles every day and I think just sticking it out and 'being here' is success enough for anyone.

is your DH's overtime one of the successes of your life? don't get this
Not to be rude, but if you don't get it, just move on. OP shouldn't have to explain herself

NewRVLady, sometimes people have a hard time just explaining things, they'd rather kick at you like a cur they have no time for. Kind of a 'if you don't know then I'm not going to tell you' thing.

There are a few reasons that OT is a success. Some people don't even get enough hours in a week and need to work several jobs. Obviously, this man is in a good, steady occupation with a lot of work and he's successful in handling it. It's paying off and they're getting lots of things that they deserve, possibly enough for early retirement/comfort that they will be able to afford college etc.

Also - there are some couple who would drive each other crazy if they were together so the time and distance apart is healthy for the relationship.

So yes, overtime can definitely be a blessing.

Last edited:

I can walk and chew gum at the same time:banana:

Still working on that one.....every time I chew gum it seems like one of my fillings or a tooth falls out!!! :rolleyes:

My biggest success besides raising three wonderful sons (with the help of DH) who have turned into three respectable adults is making it to retirement after 30 some years of being a substitute teacher!!!:teacher:

Well… Sometimes I look around and see this 2000sq.ft. house full of furniture, see 3 vehicles in the yard, and talk to the amazing young woman that DD has become and wonder, "How the heck did DH and I DO this??" LOL!

I spent 25 years doing scientific research, so I have been part of some interesting things that I consider accomplishments. For example, I developed an antibody that shows when a specific neuronal protein is activated. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but it's used by researchers who are working on nerve growth and direction, so it's pretty useful in research on nerve regeneration. We actually sold this antibody to a pharmaceutical house, and occasionally I get a royalty check (my former boss gets the big bucks, lol, my cut is pretty small… but still…). I also used to work for a company that was heavily involved in Alzheimer's research, and was part of the team that developed the first transgenic mouse for Alzheimer's. Research in AD was challenged by the fact that only humans develop AD, and it could only be accurately diagnosed at autopsy, so at the time there was no animal model for observation, testing, etc. We developed an a mouse model that expressed the same tangles and plaques as humans do in Alzheimer's. I'm not going to debate the ethics of animal models in research- but personally having lost a family member to AD, I think this was pretty significant. Now, I played a small role- IIRC there were 37 scientists in 4 facilities working on this project- but it's a small satisfaction that I think made a decent contribution to Alzheimer's research. I realize that both of these are small accomplishments in small areas, but it's nice when years of research pans out and is somewhat successful!

Well… Sometimes I look around and see this 2000sq.ft. house full of furniture, see 3 vehicles in the yard, and talk to the amazing young woman that DD has become and wonder, "How the heck did DH and I DO this??" LOL!

I spent 25 years doing scientific research, so I have been part of some interesting things that I consider accomplishments. For example, I developed an antibody that shows when a specific neuronal protein is activated. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but it's used by researchers who are working on nerve growth and direction, so it's pretty useful in research on nerve regeneration. We actually sold this antibody to a pharmaceutical house, and occasionally I get a royalty check (my former boss gets the big bucks, lol, my cut is pretty small… but still…). I also used to work for a company that was heavily involved in Alzheimer's research, and was part of the team that developed the first transgenic mouse for Alzheimer's. Research in AD was challenged by the fact that only humans develop AD, and it could only be accurately diagnosed at autopsy, so at the time there was no animal model for observation, testing, etc. We developed an a mouse model that expressed the same tangles and plaques as humans do in Alzheimer's. I'm not going to debate the ethics of animal models in research- but personally having lost a family member to AD, I think this was pretty significant. Now, I played a small role- IIRC there were 37 scientists in 4 facilities working on this project- but it's a small satisfaction that I think made a decent contribution to Alzheimer's research. I realize that both of these are small accomplishments in small areas, but it's nice when years of research pans out and is somewhat successful!
Congratulations on your accomplishments!
I wish I had accomplished as much.
But I have one question.
Why do you park your three vehicles in your yard?
I prefer to use my driveway since if they're in the yard it's a witch to mow around them. :D

Congratulations on your accomplishments!
I wish I had accomplished as much.
But I have one question.
Why do you park your three vehicles in your yard?
I prefer to use my driveway since if they're in the yard it's a witch to mow around them. :D

LOL, I meant the driveway, but it's really just an old, cinder pathway that takes up all of the side yard, so I just call it the yard. We live in-town, so not a lot of space between the houses, although it's wicked cool to be able to walk into town for coffee, meals, microbrews, etc. How we ended up living in Maine without a paved driveway OR a garage is beyond me, though! This winter without snow has been a blessing with regards to shoveling and scraping vehicles!

LOL, I meant the driveway, but it's really just an old, cinder pathway that takes up all of the side yard, so I just call it the yard. We live in-town, so not a lot of space between the houses, although it's wicked cool to be able to walk into town for coffee, meals, microbrews, etc. How we ended up living in Maine without a paved driveway OR a garage is beyond me, though! This winter without snow has been a blessing with regards to shoveling and scraping vehicles!
We live at the end of a cul de sac and have a good sized yard.
Boy am I glad my Wife likes to mow......:duck:
We haven't used the snow blower at all this year.
I guess El Nino's are good for something.
Anyway congratulations on your accomplishments.

I spent time with my mom today, helped her figure out her March bill for her apartment in her senior retirement community, brought her some luscious Louisiana strawberries, and spent time listening to jazz outside on our patio tonight with my sweet DH.

At this point in our lives, the successes are the little things.

My DS is my best success. I raised him the first 8 years alone, no father in the picture(abusive/annulled), no financial support. He turned out to be a wonderful man, provider & especially father.

The other is being able to provide for my DM, 90, who is heading down the dementia/Alzheimers slope. It's like having a 5' 145lb toddler & boy have I learned what patience is.

Oh and I can pat my head & rub my stomach at the same time.:cool1:

My DD is growing into a caring non-judgmental young lady - but to be honest, that's in her nature anyways and I don't know how much I had to do with that.

Survived 13 weeks at Parris Island between June and September and earned the title of US Marine.

Went to the sandbox twice and came home alive both times.

Have a beautiful little girl, despite the doctors telling me that I would be unable to procreate.

SEMPER FI

My daughter. I was told by one of her teachers what a wonderful young lady she is. I responded "I'm just lucky!" She told me "No, you're a good parent." For a teacher to tell me that really meant a lot.

Got a bonus last week for something I didn't expect a bonus for.

Started repainting the inside of the house, and so far it looks pretty good.

Despite not being able to go any further than Associates level in college, I now have a pretty good job and I feel proud to say that I am now a licensed realtor. Considering that I felt like a failure when I couldn't go abroad to further my education because our financial status wouldn't permit it, I think I've done and accomplished a whole lot career-wise.

Another success is that, although our marriage might still be too young to tell, my DH and I have a great marriage. We do well not putting any unnecessary strain on each other and are very supportive of each other. We also get along great, and I truly feel like I married my best friend.

And lastly, I am proud that my DH and I are now in the position to buy our own home. Its not going to be a big home (its a condo) but it will be OURS and although the mortgage will be twice as much as we currently pay on rent, it feels great to know that at least that money will be going towards something that belongs to us rather than into someone's pocket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter