What are some things that make raising a boy so great?

I totally understand...not in the sports sense, but in that I feel like I know girls. I LOVE my son...wouldn't trade him for the world. He'll be 1 next week...time flies!

However...my fears (?) aren't about raising him, its about after he leaves. I call my mom almost daily...I feel pretty close to my family and act that way. My husband doesn't call his mom nearly as often. I just worry we'll grow apart.

My mom and I didn't get along so well growing up, but are closer now...I think things change for the better with girls. But it seems like I have to keep my MIL up to date on stuff with Daniel, etc.

Any mom's of grown boys with advice? Insight?

I have one of each: 17.5 yr. old DD and DS will be 15 in a few months.

DS is also not into sports but he does play golf and hopes to make the HS golf team next year (he's in 8th grade right now.) He plays the trombone and is in the MS chorus. He is a huge outdoorsman (which thrills DH to no end) - he loves to hunt and fish. He's also a Boy Scout and camps and hikes like crazy.

He's always been my shopping buddy - as long as we're going to the stores he likes (toy stores when little, video games now):rolleyes: . He's in moody teen stage right now - but the other night he surprised me with an unexpected hug and "I love you, you're a great Mom!"

I love both of my kids equally and wouldn't trade either one of them - there is not an "easier child" to raise - each offers their own set of challenges and joys. DD is a real girly-girl - dancer, gymnast, clothes and make-up fanatic. BUT - when she was younger, she would go out in the woods all day with her Dad.

When you hear that beautiful sound of your child crying as he/she enters the world and then when you hold your child in your arms for the very first time - you'll experience a love so strong and a bond so fierce - that, well, nothing can ever take those feelings away from you.

Congratulations to you and your DH!
Pam

Hi Sonya,
Raising a son is different from raising a daughter, but the most important thing is that you are forming a relationship with a new human being and a connection that will never go away. Once that child is born, the relationship will begin, and the fact that they are male or female will take on less importance to the fact that they are here and alive and all yours. When you hold your son in your arms for the first time, you will know that it was meant to be, and wonder how it could ever be any different.

As far as the sports thing goes, I know what you mean, but I just want to say that once your boy is interested in something, you will be too. It doesn't sound like any fun going to a soccer game now, but just wait until YOUR son is on the field, lol. You learn to love the game and most of all love to watch your boy out there trying. I never liked any sports except baseball, but my sons changed all that. Each child opens up a whole new world to us, and yours will too. Best wishes. :)

I forgot something. Boys LOVE to eat. You'll be his favorite person in the world if you cook for him. LOL! Mine raves about my cooking and I heard him recently tell a friend "my mom's cooking is the BEST!"

My DS still gives me a goodnight kiss or hug every night. I think how close they stay to mom and dad depends on personality. Several years ago he told me that he'd be happy to live with us forever. :eek: I hope he doesn't go far, but I do hope he outgrows that idea. I have plans for a scrapbooking room someday. :teeth:

I have three girls (DD's are 15, 11 and 5) and one son (age 7). The girls are great (well, we may not make it through the middle one's puberty- but that is a different thread).....I LOVE my girls. My son, however, has figured out how to worm his way into my heart.

The downside:
......he has a frequent members card to the ER
.....he brings home lots of critters (who conveniently miss their mommy and need to be let go. back outside, just before dinner)
....he can't walk, only run
....if he can't jump off of it, its not furniture or a structure worth having
....he is infatuated with sports, breasts (yes, really!), burping, and other interesting bodily functions.
....he has cost me more in home remodeling jobs (ask about tearing down the wall paper from his crib- THREE times) than all his sisters combined.

The UP side:
......he is the only child who is going to marry me and live with me forever (we have this evidence on videotape for when he is 19 and wants to hitchhike through Europe)
.....he picks me beautiful dandlions and brings them to me (all wadded up but blessed in love) because he knows I how much I like flowers
.....he gives me kisses when I am sad or upset tries to do silly faces to make me laugh
.....he promises to protect me when Daddy isn't home to do the job.
....he saves me from vicious spiders and other 6 to 8 legged creatures that stalk me
....he is blond, blue eyed creature who leaves me with wonder and astonishment. He will make a wonderful husband and father some day. I only hope his wife is good enough to deserve him.

I love my girls. We are VERY close. They tell me secrets and we share dreams. My boy is my boy....the dreamer and the wonderer, my little protector and my adventurer. Thank God for gender differences and diversity. I feel blessed that I have had the opportunity to sample both.

OK y'all, you've done it to me, I'm sitting here all teared up. I love hearing what you have to say. Keep them coming.

I was in the same boat as you, and it is truly an amazing ride! I dearly love my DS and as you put it, God gives you what you need, and I did learn that I needed a boy first. We were blessed with a dd second, and I hope you will too! but on to the fun stuff. I grew up with 2 sisters and never really had any contact with little boys. I only baby sat for an infant, so this was all new to me. What I have discovered was pure joy and fun, as it will be for you. DS isn't totally into sports either. And that is ok. He loves swimming, and now he is into Tae Kwon do. He recently tested out of the beginner white belt and had to break a board with his foot (a kick) and I tell you it was one of my proudest moments. I litterally was crying I was sooo happy! But as for the rest of the sports, well, he is OK at baseball, but isn't what he loves, what you will discover is that he will guide you in his interests. DS loves to do all things "spying". Now they have great spy toys out and he just loves it!

Some more stuff:
Tonka trucks
building stuff
boyscouts
playing in the dirt!
slip sliding in mud puddles (oh yes, that actually was fun to watch).
Leggo sets
building blocks
HARRY POTTER!!!!!
LOVES to dress up in costumes (Darth vador, luke skywalker, spies, Woody, fireman, policemen, jedi knights, etc). btw a quick hint, after Halloween buy some of the costumes on sale for this dramatic play.
Having his heroes be fireman and policemen. When he was 2 he was completely awestruck by firemen!
Playing with rocks outside :rolleyes:
the imaginative play in sandboxes!
Daredevil stuff on swingsets
He has "barbie" type toys that are guys, like Aladin etc.
Max steel toys
Star wars games

and there is soooo much more! He will grow into his interests, and you will be there learning with him. Enjoy the journey, it is truly a blessed one!

Sonya,

All of these posts are so accurate. When your little guy finally gets here, you will sometimes think that your heart will burst from your chest with love. Please do not worry another minute.

My "little guy" will be 26 in April and has blessed us with a grandson who will be 2 in May; but that's a whole different thread!

You will be at peace with this in no time.

Sandy

Boys can cut the grass.
biggthumpup.gif

I also thought I would have a girl. I grew up with 2 sisters after all. :teeth: But having a boy is wonderful! He's just full of surprises because I've never been around boys. Just the girls. Girls can be so whiney at times. DS is a real trooper. Not a whiner. As a toddler he had gotten into my closet and found my Barbies I had saved for years. He took them in the bathtub with him and let them swim. LOL! But he didn't want me to tell anyone he did that. Ha ha! Of course, that was years ago. Now I can't even get him near a G.I. Joe. :) He never ceases to amaze me. Since he's been here, I've been absolutely thrilled with him and would NEVER trade for a girl. :teeth:

Little boys are such big bundles of ENERGY.:eek: But, they have their good qualities too.;)

My son thinks I'm the most beautiful woman in the world.:) He tells me that all the time-he then tells me I'm fat;) (he's 6 yo). He keeps me focused.;)

My son is very empathetic. If I'm sad or feeling sick, he'll pamper me (he'll make me lie down on the couch, he'll bring me his pillow and blankie and check on me while he watches tv).:) He hates for me to feel bad.:)

My son will play ball with me.:) My dd didn't really want to when she was younger.

My son will ride a few good rides with me at amusement parks (if he's big enough. His sister and his dad are chickens;) ).

He has taught me there will be many, many times where an emergency visit to the ER is warranted.:rolleyes: But he's taught me everything will be ok-to chill out.;)

Having a girl is fun too.:) We're at the hormonal stage right now. Heaven help me.:eek:

DH really, really, really wanted our 1st child to be a girl and I know he was disappointed when he found out that we were having a boy at first. He is really into that whole "Daddy's little girl" thing and he has really built it up in his head. I just told him that God knows what he is doing. Any little girl of ours will be quite a handful and God knows that she will need a father and at least one big brother to watch out for her. :p ;) :)

DH adjusted pretty quickly. I can't really say that I was really wanting one or the other but I have always had this strange feeling since I was pretty young that I was destined to be the Mom to a bunch of boys! :eek: I hope for DH's sake that we have at least 1 daughter but the thought of a household full of testosterone scares me to death! :eek:

I still don't know how I am going to deal with the creepy crawlies, daredevil tricks and burping but I do know that I could not love DS anymore so I am sure that I will deal with it the best way I can. So far I could not have asked for anything more. :)

I have 1 boy(13) and 2 girls(9 and 16). I can tell you that having a son is such the most awesome blessing for a mother. When my son was 11 and broke his arm wrestling at a friends house and I rushed down to get him, on the way to the ER I asked him what ran through his mind when he knew it was broken...the first thing out of his mouth was "all I could think is I want my mom". It was so sweet coming from a 'tough' 11 year old boy! There is so much to enjoy.

I love:
-my sons perspective
-making him laugh
-when he grabs a grocery bag out of my hand and says " that's heavy, I'll get that for you Mom"
-when he wants my opinion and advice
-talking with him about ANYTHING, he is so interesting!
-finding myself an avid soccer fan after all...there is nothing like
watching your child grow as a player and succeed (I was also WAY not a sports fan)
-Listening to his 'oral reports' for school
-playing monopoly with the 'little Donald Trump wanna-be' (he always wins)
-seeing him be a silly, fun kid with his friends
-watching him create things with LEGOS, KNEX and all the crazy things he can make out of electrical tape, cardboard and batteries
-watching him grow taller than me!
-hearing 'I Love You Mom' or "How was your day Mom"
-seeing him dance for the first time with a girl...that was tough, but sweet
-Peeking into his messy room at night (with clothes everywhere and the TV and stereo still on) and still being able to see the 'baby boy' in his face while he is sleeping
-admiring his personality
-building a the 'ultimate' tree house with him(his is wired and has playstation, TV, VCR, 2-stories..etc)
-finding the most bizarre items in his jeans pockets
-when he asks if his new cologne smells nice (wondering who she is and if she is worthy!)
-watching a baby boy grow to an inquisitive child and then a young 'man'...and wondering about his future

Good Luck to you, the love you have for your 'little man' will be unlike anything you can ever imagine...

Originally posted by Pembo
The BIGGEST bonus for Mom about having a boy---when out in public with dad---he gets bathroom duty!!! LOL!!! :) I love that!

DITTO!! I love that, too!!

Our son was not a sports kid. He didn't participate, didn't watch, and still doesn't as an adult. He DID love music and chess and math, though, and those were the areas he concentrated on in school. He won a state chess championship, lettered in Knowledge Bowl, and was captain of the competetive math team. Don't think just because you are having a boy, that you will be stuck at soccer!

There is nothing wrong with mourning a dream...but its good you are bulding a new one!:) You have SO much to look forward to!!!
Little boys....they are wonderful.
Little boys are:

Dirty faces...and liking it that way!

Wanting to marry Mommy when they grow up

Imaginations that soar as high as the sky!

Buzz Lightyear to the rescue!!

Your window into the wonders of the world...watching an ant walk, marveling over a dead snake;) ....seeing how BLUE the sky is....laughing over WOW that was a loud burp!!;) ...taking something apart to see how it works......oh there are millions!

Total honesty

Wanting to swing higher, run faster, yell louder...always competing...with themselves and their buds!

Little boys are Gods wonderful gifts to us. One look and your heart will melt...and you will forget you ever worried about this!
:) :) :) Good luck to you!!!!

I have deliberately not read the posts made after your original one so that my thoughts are mine and not just agreeing with someone else's. I have a 9 year old son. He is the most precious thing in my life and took me 6 attempts but boy, was he worth it! I have delighted in watching him grow strong (although he is not very tall for his age) in body, strong in his mind (not wilful just has a very strong sense of justice) and strong in his morals. In short, he is just wonderful. Maybe I am just lucky but I have two very close friends who have daughters (all the children are just 10 weeks apart in age) and I seem to be the Mum having the easiest time. DS is very laid back in comparison to the girls, although very, very loud which appears to be to be the main difference between the sexes. Boys have to be "doing" while girls tend to be more content in a fantasy world. Again, though, that could just be my son and not boys generally. I understand exactly what you mean by grieving for what might have been. But there must be a reason for God giving you a son, you just don't know what it is yet. Even at 9, my son encourages me to "lean" on him. It just seems natural to him to try to be the strong one when there are girls/women around. It is a trait that I absolutely adore and just hopes he still wants to do it when he is older. I love the feeling of protection having two men in the house, even though one is still learning his trade! I can see physically and mentally the wonderful things I saw (and still see) in his Dad reflected in a mini version.

I wish you all the joy with your son that I have experienced so far with mine.

Thanks everyone for replying, it makes me feel better. There have been things mentioned that I hadn't thought of, like mowing the lawn! Your stories are great, I love every one of them. I think DH and I are scared of all the energy boys emit and take up, we are pretty low key people. We prefer to read rather than go outside and play. But as someone posted, you wil love him so much you will do anything!

3 boys here, no girls. :( Grand-daughter someday, but not too soon I hope.

They are all different.
The first was loud and busy. We always knew where he was and what he was up to. Lots of good memories like when tucking him in bed on his birthday and hearing 'this was the best day I every had'. Now a college student, away all the time, so confident yet so laid back.

The second was quiet, had to constantly keep an eye on him. Extremely bright, doesn't have to study. Loves music and band. Architect in the making, comments on the trim, structure and light in every resort at WDW.

Youngest is sensitive, caring and sharing. Loves to cook, create, read. Thinks of others before himself. When oldest says he'll put us in the best nursing home our money will buy, says he'll let us live with him and his wife.

Don't get hung up on your expectations. You and your kids will grow together and become a family. Enjoy your differences and your sameness. See the world through each other's eyes and you will be very happy.

Buz

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter