• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What are some things you missed on your first cruise ??

Sorry if this is an obvious question (first time cruiser). you mentioned you missed the shows due to your dining. I thought the there were two shows watch night (one early and one late) to accommodate all cruisers and their dining rotation. Also, another poster mentioned yoga class. Do they have gym classes on the ship? Is it free or is there a charge? I see a lot of people missing things because they are not sure if it is free or has to be paid for. Is this listed on the navigator? I would hate to go everywhere and ask if things were free (seems a bit tacky for lack of a better word)

The exercise classes (spin and yoga, which is offered both on the ship and CC) are free and listed under Adult Activities on your Navigator, there was even a free 5k on CC which was fun (water bottles if you finished!). The body composition sessions I believe were charged.

Do you not preorder breakfast like you used to? Last two cruises (been a few years) we put out our breakfast order the night before on the door I believe... They were actually our wakeup call. :lmao:

This still worked on our cruise last October...

There are indeed 2 main shows every night (whether it is a broadway type show, an entertainer or a movie) and we did see all of those. But we missed EVERYTHING that happened in Wavebands and other spots @ 7-8:00 every night. There were gameshows, variety acts etc and we were never able to squeeze it in before dinner.
My husband and I did go see the adult version of a few of the entertainment acts late at night- all were very funny and not offensive in any way.

We had late night seating and were able to go to the show and also the gameshows/variety acts/bingo before dinner. The key is to get dressed for dinner before you go to the show.

My first cruise was a 4-night on RCL. We missed our stop at RCL's private island. The captain tried twice, on the regular scheduled day as well as on our sea day, but the waves were too rough to tender. I decided then and there that my next cruise would be on a ship that DOCKS at it's private island!

Of course, we are booked on the Dream in June, a double-dip (two stops at Castaway Cay) - two chances to catch what I missed last time!

Having a 10 month old with us, we missed pretty much all evening entertainment. Fortunately they had afternoon matenee's of the 3 main shos so we were able to see those, but after dinner it was pretty much bedtime for the baby.

I'm hoping that on our next cruise we'll be able to do some of the family gameshows and even acts etc.

On the Magic last year, there was adult night in the kid's club twice and I missed the first night where the adults get to make Flubber. I made it to the second night where we got to color and learn how to make animator's cells.

I will be on the Wonder in a few weeks and I hope this time I get to make Flubber.

For our cruise a few weeks ago, DH tried a tip he'd heard about here: Order a carafe of coffee from room service before going to bed (for us it was around 10:30-11pm). In the morning, he had hot coffee ready and waiting when we woke up!

Only had one treat from Cove Cafe.
Did not get to the Outlook lounge or deck seven secret deck.
Did not discover that I enjoyed the quiet piano in Cadilac Lounge until the last night.
Never had the soft serve "ice cream".

we missed quite a few things but the one that I am most upset about is missing the golden mickeys, which we DEF plan on seeing on our cruise this November

We missed the Pirate Night Party and Fireworks!!! We went to dinner that evening and then was a little tired and decided to take a "short" nap. Unfortunately, that "short" nap turned into a long one and we missed the fireworks. Going on the Dream in June and whatever it takes, I'm going to see the fireworks!

We missed lots of things, not because we didn't know about them (doesn't happen often with a compulsive overplanner such as myself :lmao:) but because we simply didn't get around to them:

- missed seeng a movie at the onboard cinema
- missed all of the lunch buffets (too much food even without those!)
- missed the "Match Your Mate" show even though it's supposed to be hilarious (and if I may mention this now - we only missed that one since some of our traveling friends had threatened to have us picked as participants! :rotfl2:)
- and missed Pirate Night dinner as we had a Palo reservation that evening.

On our first trip, like so many other cruisers I missed out on the Pirate Buffet, Dessert Buffet, and treats at the Cove Cafe.

I also didn't make it to any of the shows! We had late dinner and found that we couldn't quite wrap up our days activities in time for the shows, but then had to cool our heels waiting for dinner. In fact, we ended up watching portions of the shows on our TV. To top it all off, we never finished dinner before 9:45 pm and since we are thirty-somethings who keep the schedule of octogenarians, we would just take a walk around the ship and head to bed! For some reason we were better able to manage our time with main dining. :confused3

On both our trips we also missed out on Beat Street. I have promised my traveling companions that we will at least visit Route 66 in the evening! The Cadillac Lounge with the Piano player sounds great!

All the main restaurants! :rotfl2: Our first cruise was a 4 night. We upgraded at port to a concierge room and had DD1 with us and late dining, so while she slept we had dinner from the restaurants brought in. Looking forward to our 7 night this November. She'll be 3 and we'll be able to try them all out in person! :goodvibes

How do you upgrade at the port? Is it less expensive than just booking concierge from the start?

How do you upgrade at the port? Is it less expensive than just booking concierge from the start?

After checking in at port you go to the far end of the counter at the right to the supervisor's desk to inquire about upgrades. If available there are any, they will be at a reduced rate. For example, for our next cruise it is currently $3500 for us to move to a concierge room. IF we can get the same room as a port upgrade it will be about $1300. If not, it's okay we are happy with what we booked.

Just off of our first cruise yesterday.

We never saw a movie in the theater; just no time.

We never saw the gym ;)

We only went into Cove Cafe on second to last day so we also missed the free pastries

Missed the Pirate night buffet because we were stuffed from dinner

Missed Pelican Plunge on castaway. We settled in first beach on CC and were having fun. I kept telling DD and her friend to check out Pelican Plunge. All of a sudden the day was passed and we had missed it.

But we DID re-book so we will have another opportunity:banana:

Discount drinks with your sailaway glass - Someone mentioned we could get 1/2 price drinks with our sailaway glass, but I never tried.

Can someone confirm? If I buy the sailaway glass I can use it for 1/2 drinks thru out the cruise?!?

Yes, this is true for the drinks of the day. I went on three DCL cruises before I even knew about this! On our cruise this past Nov/Dec I partook in several of those DOTD! My glass survived the entire week, and I still use it at home when I am longing to be back on the Magic.

As for the exact discount price, I want to say I paid $3.75 after the sailaway (they are somewhere around $8.00+ during the sailaway party), but not certain. If I can hunt down some receipts, I will let you know! And don't forget, gratuity is already included when they hand over your receipt to sign...it's up to you if you want to add anything additional.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter