What are the best times to go to Aulani when schools are out?

DisneyMountainWoman

DIS Veteran
So I am a teacher and I have a son, so I am stuck at vacationing when everyone else vacations on school breaks. So knowing that, what are the best times to go to Aulani when schools are out? I know in Disney seasons for stuff but do not Aulani. Thanks.

Aulani has become very popular, and as such can be very crowded during popular times of the year. I too can only travel during school breaks and have found that going to Aulani during school breaks is no different from going to WDW during the same times. So far, I’ve been to Aulani during the following times: Christmas, New Year’s, 4th of July, Easter, and June/July/August. My advice would be to travel whenever you can. The prices do tend to be higher during certain holidays and flight prices increase around the holidays. As long as you pack your patience and make select dining reservations ahead of time, you should be fine.

We live in the Northeast and our schools get Presidents' Day week off in February. We went a few years ago when our kids were younger and it worked out great. The weather was fine, crowds weren't too bad and it was low point season for us (DVC members).

If you could go in late May/early June, the crowds tend to be manageable. I believe the summer rush begins in mid June. Our schools are done the weekend before Memorial Day. So we plan to take vacations right around that time. Weather is also good during that time at most places we have visited.

Aulani can only be as crowded as the maximum capacity of the resort allows. So while the pool and such can feel more crowded than other times, its not as drastically noticeable as a peak crowd at WDW would be (for example). That said, Aulani is notorious for not having enough space and amenities to accommodate a resort booked to capacity. This has been said its because the developers anticipated people using Aulani as a "home base" for Oahu touring, and underestimated the amount of people interested in staying put at the resort without leaving. Because of this, Aulani at the busiest times might be worse than a comparable resort (i.e. Marriott Ko Olina) at the busiest times. I mention this as consideration for doing a split stay with another resort, or perhaps choosing another resort in Ko Olina where you can still see and dine at Aulani, but have space and more amenities. In the current environment with so much at Aulani closed and no character meets, there's fewer things that actually set it apart from comparable resorts.

I agree with PP that if you can visit during February break, if you have that, that's the best time since it seems to be a Northeast thing and fewer people are off. Winter months are peak season for Hawaii as its prime whale watch season and people want to escape the cold on the mainland. Another option, depending on your school schedule, is late August/early September. Schools here start back after Labor Day, so there's a typically a couple weeks in that timeframe where many schools across the country are back in session but many of ours here in the Northeast have not gone back yet.

November (Veterans Day or Thanksgiving) is probably a good time too. I would avoid October Fall breaks/Columbus Day, as that is a time Hawaiian schools have fall breaks from what I have seen.

Sadly we do not have a Feb break, just 3 days off which is not long enough to fly to Hawaii. But we do get out memorial weekend so going early June would be nice. Thanks everyone for the tips.

Aulani can only be as crowded as the maximum capacity of the resort allows. So while the pool and such can feel more crowded than other times, its not as drastically noticeable as a peak crowd at WDW would be (for example). That said, Aulani is notorious for not having enough space and amenities to accommodate a resort booked to capacity. This has been said its because the developers anticipated people using Aulani as a "home base" for Oahu touring, and underestimated the amount of people interested in staying put at the resort without leaving. Because of this, Aulani at the busiest times might be worse than a comparable resort (i.e. Marriott Ko Olina) at the busiest times. I mention this as consideration for doing a split stay with another resort, or perhaps choosing another resort in Ko Olina where you can still see and dine at Aulani, but have space and more amenities. In the current environment with so much at Aulani closed and no character meets, there's fewer things that actually set it apart from comparable resorts.

I agree with PP that if you can visit during February break, if you have that, that's the best time since it seems to be a Northeast thing and fewer people are off. Winter months are peak season for Hawaii as its prime whale watch season and people want to escape the cold on the mainland. Another option, depending on your school schedule, is late August/early September. Schools here start back after Labor Day, so there's a typically a couple weeks in that timeframe where many schools across the country are back in session but many of ours here in the Northeast have not gone back yet.

November (Veterans Day or Thanksgiving) is probably a good time too. I would avoid October Fall breaks/Columbus Day, as that is a time Hawaiian schools have fall breaks from what I have seen.
First, there are character meets all day long at Aulani (distanced) and I have never had such short wait times (if any) to meet characters -- it was fantastic! Each day you dial "CHIP" on the hotel phone and they give you the greeting schedule for the day. My kids loved it and we got a lot of great character photos without waiting.

Second, my personal opinion differs from yours on Aulani being set apart from other resorts. On Oahu, I think Aulani is in a category of its own. The theming, beauty, incredible service, Rainbow Reef, number of pools/two slides/lazy river -- I don't know of another resort on the island that compares for families. Also, in normal times, they have the kids club included which is a vacation-making amenity for parents (and kids) and I don't know of any other resort that offers this type of amenity as an inclusion in your stay. Also, I have heard the spa at Aulani is incredible although I have not visited myself as it was closed when I was there recently.

I have not visited the Marriott Ko Olina, so it might be equally incredible and I just don't know about it! I do know that right now, you cannot spend time at the pool without a reservation, and you are limited to one 2-hour reservation per day. This may change if/when distancing requirements are relaxed.

Last, just FYI right now, you cannot dine at Makahiki or Off the Hook (the only places you can sit at a table) at Aulani if you are not an overnight guest there.

Right now, Aulani is maxed out at 65% capacity which is really not too bad (other than the elevator lines and the need to claim pool chairs as the sun comes up). Again, this will change as distancing requirements are relaxed but if the OP visits this year, they can have some peace of mind knowing it won't be insanely crowded.

I will also add that when I was there President's Week, there were a LOT of local families that come in on the weekend using great local discount rates, so from Thursday through Saturday nights, it was crowded (maxed out/sold out at 65%) irrespective of mainland guests.

First, there are character meets all day long at Aulani (distanced) and I have never had such short wait times (if any) to meet characters -- it was fantastic! Each day you dial "CHIP" on the hotel phone and they give you the greeting schedule for the day. My kids loved it and we got a lot of great character photos without waiting.
Good to know. I (unfortunately) do not have a trip planned, so I have not been keeping up on what has been re-opened and re-introduced. However, its still worth noting that its not a traditional character meet and there are no character meals. Also no Aunty's Beach House.

Second, my personal opinion differs from yours on Aulani being set apart from other resorts. On Oahu, I think Aulani is in a category of its own. The theming, beauty, incredible service, Rainbow Reef, number of pools/two slides/lazy river -- I don't know of another resort on the island that compares for families. Also, in normal times, they have the kids club included which is a vacation-making amenity for parents (and kids) and I don't know of any other resort that offers this type of amenity as an inclusion in your stay. Also, I have heard the spa at Aulani is incredible although I have not visited myself as it was closed when I was there recently.
You're right that its very subjective. Service and aesthetic is a personal opinion. The thing that draws most people to Aulani is Disney. With limited character interactions/meals and the lack of activities, that's taking away a big part of the value you're otherwise paying for. Its something for anyone to consider when visiting in the current environment. Without these things, there's not many differentiating factors when comparing similar resorts. It becomes just another high priced resort, that's also in an isolated location. Just my opinion, YMMV.

I was only speaking on this fact in the current environment, though. The spa is currently closed and so is Aunty's. Who knows when they will reopen. When those things are available, the value of the resort changes.

Last, just FYI right now, you cannot dine at Makahiki or Off the Hook (the only places you can sit at a table) at Aulani if you are not an overnight guest there.
Right, that's in the current environment. In "normal times", anyone can dine at these places. Currently, non-guests can only dine at Ulu. But its an option if someone wants to experience Aulani that isn't staying there.

We live in the Northeast and have anywhere from 14-20 hour flights to HNL and a 6 hour time zone difference. Therefore, I won’t go for just a week like we do to WDW over Feb or April breaks. I am a teacher as well, so I plan Hawaii trips for the summer when we can go for 2 weeks.

Aulani is very crowded around holidays. Your best option would be to go in June as soon as the kids are out of school, flying out the next day. It can be less appealing to do that because the weather on the mainland is normally nice in June, which is why the resort gets crowded during the school year holidays.

The thing that draws most people to Aulani is Disney.

Well, for us, the thing that draws us to Aulani is that we are DVC members and we can stay on points instead of having to pay to stay elsewhere...

... well, that and the fact that it's an awesome resort. A couple of years ago, we stayed in Kaanapali the week prior, and while it was fine, we could not wait to get to Aulani...

Well, for us, the thing that draws us to Aulani is that we are DVC members and we can stay on points instead of having to pay to stay elsewhere...

... well, that and the fact that it's an awesome resort. A couple of years ago, we stayed in Kaanapali the week prior, and while it was fine, we could not wait to get to Aulani...
Yes, I said “most” people, not all. But ultimately what drove you to purchase DVC in the first place? I presume a love of Disney, at some level.

I don’t disagree that it’s a great resort, but in the current environment, the things that make it unique are limited or not available. If someone is looking to save money or perhaps wants a more convenient location, there are many comparable resorts to choose from.

Yes, I said “most” people, not all. But ultimately what drove you to purchase DVC in the first place? I presume a love of Disney, at some level.

I don’t disagree that it’s a great resort, but in the current environment, the things that make it unique are limited or not available. If someone is looking to save money or perhaps wants a more convenient location, there are many comparable resorts to choose from.
Sure, but I would think that most people that go to Aulani are DVC members (maybe I'm wrong on that?)...

This will be our 4th trip, and our DD is 17, so Aunty's being closed doesn't affect us much. Also, because we are DVC we always get a unit with a Kitchen and usually eat in the room (Love me some Kapolei Costco!) for the majority of the time there.

I agree if one was paying cash to stay in the hotel portion, especially with smaller kids, it may not be the same value proposition, but for a DVC person that usually is there in June or July, I am really looking forward to the resort at 65% capacity (if that) this March!

Sure, but I would think that most people that go to Aulani are DVC members (maybe I'm wrong on that?)...
I don't think that's a true assumption. There's a lot of people who post here that are planning or considering trips that are not DVC, myself included. Its the only Disney resort in Hawaii, so its going to attract any Disney fanatic and many families that are vacationing in Hawaii, DVC owner or not. Lots of people who live locally also will stay at Aulani, and I'd imagine a lot of them are not owners either, especially given that all the other DVC resorts would be quite far from them.

I agree with you that for DVC members, its always a good place to stay regardless of the amenities offered. You've essentially pre-paid for your stay there. But my sentiment about the value being equalized with other resorts in the current environment was geared towards those of us that are not DVC, where we still have to pay for the cost and the value isn't as high as it would be in "normal" times. I could be wrong, but it was my impression that OP is also not DVC.

I disagree that a lot of locals are not DVC owners. This is how they can afford to go. They may hop from other islands or live 5 minutes away and need a staycation with the kids. That is why they are out at the hotels in a pandemic. They are burning points and not wanting to travel far. I know a lot of local families who love Disney experience for their kids and buy Aulani DVC.
Agree, try summer but not near Admission Day or Kamehameha Day.

Also not DVC members but staying at Aulani this July on rented points since for our family it doesn't make sense financially to purchase DVC.

I recently rented at Aulani (my second time there- first was around grand opening) for really, really cheap and while I was there I thought I must guarantee this rate forever, I did not want to pay rack or be subject to timing sales and still pricy. So I ran numbers and looked into DVC and bought right away.

This was Thanksgiving weekend and it was packed so don’t go then!

This is us too. We would not have had a chance to go to Hawaii if it were not for DVC points. Paying cash, plus flights from the midwest, plus expenses, would make a trip there out of our reach. Having an almost "free" place to stay has enabled us to go. And I look at it as a trip to Hawaii, with Aulani being the hotel where we stay. I think that too many people see that Disney owns it and automatically think that it's going to be more theme park then hotel. I am on an Aulani FB page and many people ask what rides Aulani has. If you look at your stay as a trip to Hawaii staying at a nice resort, then you will not be disappointed. It is an expensive hotel, but many hotels at that level cost that much on the Islands. Hawaii is just expensive. My daughter and I are going in May and are able to stay for 16 nights on points. We plan to have a car for the duration and explore the Island. Things being closed at Aulani will not affect us. We are just happy to be able to go anywhere, let alone to Hawaii!

I disagree that a lot of locals are not DVC owners. This is how they can afford to go. They may hop from other islands or live 5 minutes away and need a staycation with the kids. That is why they are out at the hotels in a pandemic. They are burning points and not wanting to travel far. I know a lot of local families who love Disney experience for their kids and buy Aulani DVC.
Agree, try summer but not near Admission Day or Kamehameha Day.

There are a ton of local DVC owners. You can tell because the DVC rooms on the weekends will book up super fast. We even had an issue on our first trip where there were only week days available but no weekends so we had to check out and stay at another hotel for the weekend and check back in on Monday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter