• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What are the headlines (Covid) in you area saying? Curious

And at some point they have to interact with someone, be it a customer or at their home office.
Sorry just saw this. This isn't true of the industry as a whole. My mom has been getting her lawn mowed (and then leaves raked several times during fall) for 15 years and they just leave a bill in her mailbox (or in her front door if the mail has come since her mailbox is attached to her house) and she sends them a check in the mail. They never see each other and communicate via phone if needed. Many companies operate this way. When we got our gutters cleaned out it was a quote done online, they come out (and you are not expected to be home though you can be), they did the work, and billed you electronically. Cleaning of lawn equipment should already be done, you can minimalize how many people are out on the job in a given area (or in a vehicle which normally a pick up truck it's 2 max anyways that I've seen but you can just reduce that to 1). And so many other things.

Lots of places have been able to go contactless so this reasoning doesn't seem as strong IMO.

I sit in the middle of Milwaukee and Chicago
It factors into my opinions
Both states are Blue. So we aren't OPEN yet, so to stay

Today's news My county has the 7th highest Covid growth rate in the COUNTRY I live in WI That's a negative
WI has met 5/6 standards the Gov set. That's a positive

Illinois had the largest one day Death TOTAL of 192 since the outbreak began
Their peak is slated for mid-June That's a negative
I thought WI had started opening already-thought I saw pics of bars packed in Milwaukee? I think we are close to each other, in Illinois just south of WI border. 10 minutes away from 6 flags

Last edited:
Lots of places have been able to go contactless so this reasoning doesn't seem as strong IMO.
When I first went to the States on my own, 3 years ago, I was shocked as to how far behind the times many places were when it came to card payment systems, particularly with many places still using swipe-and-sign and not C&P/contactless, which I was dumbfounded by when I did my first shop in the Disney Store in Times Square, seeing as I've been too used to C&P for a decade and a half, and contactless since I got my first iPhone with NFC. Even the NYCMTA system had yet to embrace contactless at the time. Although I hope many places have since upgraded their card terminals, I'd be very surprised if there were holdouts only adopting the technology now during the pandemic.

I am in Manitoba Canada we have a 1.3 million, we have 25 active cases, 289 total positive tests , 7 deaths, so 257 recovered. We are still in a state of emergency, some retail is open at 25% capacity (many stores choosing not to open), patios at restaurants can open but no the inside. Our schools are closed.

We've got our own issues here - big, horrible ones and if there's been a national, shared failure during this whole thing, it's seniors. Coast-to-coast they've been basically incarcerated in care facilities and abandoned to their fate. Fully 70% of all Covid deaths in Canada have been elderly people in care facilities. Shame. :sad:
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/cana...egards-its-elders/ar-BB14aEp8?ocid=spartanntp
"Warehousing of Seniors "is what my cousin the RN in Canada called it. She was an insider and knew all the tricks and she struggled to get care for her mom in the final years of her mom's life.
But when her mom passed, she was divorced, her kids grown, she was so fed up with the Canadian Healthcare system after 30+ years working in it, she moved to Qatar. Qatar has the highest per capita income of any nation on earth. Big transition there in healthcare. Money isn't an issue. If someone needs care, they get it, no matter the cost.

What was the rationale with lawn service not being allowed?

In our area lawncare continued on normally, well I should say when the weather allowed more for that. The work is outside, normally small groups or alone, not a lot of cross contact with other citizens, etc I can see where big big landscape projects (more like for cities,counties, etc) would be more of an issue but mowing the grass doesn't seem like that was ever a bone to pick in my area

In NJ lawnservice has been going on the entire time. We could also buy lawn care products and gardening things like seeds. Not so in MI.

When I first went to the States on my own, 3 years ago, I was shocked as to how far behind the times many places were when it came to card payment systems, particularly with many places still using swipe-and-sign and not C&P/contactless, which I was dumbfounded by when I did my first shop in the Disney Store in Times Square, seeing as I've been too used to C&P for a decade and a half, and contactless since I got my first iPhone with NFC. Even the NYCMTA system had yet to embrace contactless at the time. Although I hope many places have since upgraded their card terminals, I'd be very surprised if there were holdouts only adopting the technology now during the pandemic.
The chips have been slowly rolled out throughout the U.S. but after that the main point was tap-capabilites.

It's not just the cards, which believe it or not our Southwest CC just got the upgrade to be tap-allowable last month and my personal CC is chip-enabled but not tap-enabled, it's also the machines which were slowly being rolled out to be chip-enabled so tap-enabled is another aspect. I think there were machines that were however tap-enabled prior to chip-enabled. You're right it's been behind the times for sure.

However, as it related to coronavirus and the topic spoken about, when I was making a reference to contactless I was referring to the adjustment made in many businesses to have as little contact with the customer and their items as can reasonably be given some of which the specific industry already allowed for this they just tweaked their procedures a bit to be even more contactless. So in this case contactless may refer to both how an item is paid (no handing of the card to someone) but more the face to face interactions that were once expected and now are less so or in some case impertive to not be there at all.

I am in Manitoba Canada we have a 1.3 million, we have 25 active cases, 289 total positive tests , 7 deaths, so 257 recovered. We are still in a state of emergency, some retail is open at 25% capacity (many stores choosing not to open), patios at restaurants can open but no the inside. Our schools are closed.

Wow those are big numbers. You must be terrified to leave the house.

I wish more places had been tracking recoveries of at least known cases. On a state level that's not happening in my state. Some counties in my state are tracking.

They just added the presumed recoveries to our County's COVID-19 Dashboard which is the first I've heard of them tracking or at least somewhat tracking recoveries in my county. I was reading an article weeks ago on how in some cases getting the number of recoveries known is hard because people don't keep in contact with the health department after symptoms have subsided/gone away and the health department hasn't tracked the people and interviewed all of them like that.

So far my county lists 386 presumed recoveries out of 642 total positive. However, presumed recoveries for the county is listed as "surviving individuals not hospitalized and over 30 days since symptom onset." We're only a little over 2 months from when the very first case in the state (which did happen to be in my county) with much much more testing going on in the last month so I don't consider that number to be bad given the circumstances (especially the way testing has been done).

"Warehousing of Seniors "is what my cousin the RN in Canada called it. She was an insider and knew all the tricks and she struggled to get care for her mom in the final years of her mom's life.
But when her mom passed, she was divorced, her kids grown, she was so fed up with the Canadian Healthcare system after 30+ years working in it, she moved to Qatar. Qatar has the highest per capita income of any nation on earth. Big transition there in healthcare. Money isn't an issue. If someone needs care, they get it, no matter the cost.
The care, or lack thereof, for Covid patients in senior's facilities isn't exactly about money. It's about judgement calls that were made by facility owners, health authorities, government oversight and even the residents themselves and their families to keep seniors "sheltered in place" as the surest way to protect them. It was a disastrous decision that could have been walked-back at any time, hell, it still could be but isn't. Rather than finding ways to relocate seniors to less risky environments, we've now called in the freakin' army to act as care-givers inside these death-traps because there's no one else to do it. It's not profit motive - it's insanity. :scared1:

Last edited:
I wish more places had been tracking recoveries of at least known cases. On a state level that's not happening in my state. Some counties in my state are tracking.

Here in NH everyday the news has how many cases in each of our 233 towns/cities as well as how many have recovered in each town/city. I find it super helpful!

I was shocked as to how far behind the times many places were when it came to card payment systems, particularly with many places still using swipe-and-sign and not C&P/contactless,

The credit card systems they have in Canadian restaurants is far superior to the US. In Canada they bring the credit card swiper to you. Not like in the US where your credit card disappears and who knows who is copying down your numbers.

Wow those are big numbers. You must be terrified to leave the house.
I bet all of those Winnipeg residents are heading out of town to shelter at their Summer cabins on Hudson Bay. The trains to Churchill are booked solid.

I love Americans. I spend most of my vacations there. I don't have a low opinion of Americans. I love how the governor of N.Y. is handling this. Yes a lot are practicing social distancing. There is still a lot that don't When I see pictures of things like that bar in Milwaukee jam packed with people its frustrating seeing so many just not care.

The Florida governor did a better job than NY. For example, NY made the assisted living and nursing homes take Covid 19 patients, which increased the death rates.

Florida concentrated on the high risk people, which helped the hospitals from being overwhelmed and lowered the mortality rate.

The governor of Florida followed the science, data and didn't make this political. I'm very thankful I live here.

I will say, a big problem for nursing homes is any illness (cold, flu ..) can kill these individuals.

The credit card systems they have in Canadian restaurants is far superior to the US. In Canada they bring the credit card swiper to you. Not like in the US where your credit card disappears and who knows who is copying down your numbers.
:eek: Really?!? I guess it's been a while since I used a card at a restaurant in the States. On vacation we usually try to pay with cash so we can keep at least a loose grip on our spending; the exchange against our dollar is brutal. I was in Mexico in March - they have table-debit (portable machines) there too. Food delivery services here (UberEats and Skip the Dishes) also have mobile units you can pay with at your door when you order delivery.

Last edited:
Same in the UK. I was also dumbfounded by having to hand over my card to the waiter, and that in fact caused a bit of anxiety in me because I was worried that exactly what you've said would happen. The only thing that did happen was that I forgot to emphasise that the tip was in cash on the receipt as I only realised that when the tip also got debited, resulting in a double tip. Unless that was just the one waiter, I always write down that the tip is in cash to prevent such an occurence from happening again next time I'm in the US.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter