• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What are we meant to do with stimulus?

I actually agree with you. The last part of my comment was assuming that the poster knew for sure that their reason for calling out was because they got the stimulus. And it would apply to any industry for me. If people called out because they had a little fun money, it would be on them if there was no job to go back to. Of course there is a whole list of legitimate reasons that rationale wouldn’t apply to.

Yeah, I'll be honest - I assumed that the association between the two was an assumption made by the employer, because I can't imagine anyone calling his/her workplace and saying "I'm not coming in today/this week because I want to go shopping with my stimulus". I have no doubt that some owners and managers are making the leap that anyone calling out right now is doing so for that reason because I've seen it in my own circle. My son missed work on Friday because his car died on the drive and he got some snarky comments to that effect from his boss when he called in, but he hasn't even gotten his stimulus yet and even if he had he's been saving every dime for a down payment since he's house shopping in a market that demands a certain willingness to spend more than one might have liked. But the assumption was clearly that the reason a young, single guy would call out on a Friday, two days after the first stimulus payments went out, was for fun.

If the stimulus is changing the work habits of people, maybe it shows greater problems with those type jobs.

I've seen similar comments on local Facebook pages. There are numerous minimum wage jobs in our area and there doesn't seem to be enough manpower to go around. Now that we have good weather and restaurants are seeing tourists, they are looking for employees. One restaurant has publicly closed for the weekend due to lack of kitchen staff. Several other restaurants have commented that they're struggling to keep employees, too.

A-freakin'-men. There are a lot of help wanted signs around me too, and a lot of restaurants and retailers shortening their hours of operation because of staffing shortages. But they are sticking to their guns on paying minimum wage, only hiring for part time with no guarantee of hours, demanding full open-to-close availability, and publishing schedules at the last minute. Add to that the uniquely pandemic-related concerns of telling employees not to offend customers by reminding them of mask mandates (or, alternatively, telling employees to remind customers even though there have been workers assaulted for doing so) and the high risk of virus exposure that comes from dealing with large numbers of people and I don't have a lot of sympathy for employers who feel entitled to an adequate applicant pool and low turnover without doing anything to make the jobs they offer more attractive to their employees.

Yeah, I'll be honest - I assumed that the association between the two was an assumption made by the employer, because I can't imagine anyone calling his/her workplace and saying "I'm not coming in today/this week because I want to go shopping with my stimulus". I have no doubt that some owners and managers are making the leap that anyone calling out right now is doing so for that reason because I've seen it in my own circle. My son missed work on Friday because his car died on the drive and he got some snarky comments to that effect from his boss when he called in, but he hasn't even gotten his stimulus yet and even if he had he's been saving every dime for a down payment since he's house shopping in a market that demands a certain willingness to spend more than one might have liked. But the assumption was clearly that the reason a young, single guy would call out on a Friday, two days after the first stimulus payments went out, was for fun.

A-freakin'-men. There are a lot of help wanted signs around me too, and a lot of restaurants and retailers shortening their hours of operation because of staffing shortages. But they are sticking to their guns on paying minimum wage, only hiring for part time with no guarantee of hours, demanding full open-to-close availability, and publishing schedules at the last minute. Add to that the uniquely pandemic-related concerns of telling employees not to offend customers by reminding them of mask mandates (or, alternatively, telling employees to remind customers even though there have been workers assaulted for doing so) and the high risk of virus exposure that comes from dealing with large numbers of people and I don't have a lot of sympathy for employers who feel entitled to an adequate applicant pool and low turnover without doing anything to make the jobs they offer more attractive to their employees.

Bingo.

I read another rant post this afternoon from a business owner of about 10 locations in my state. Saying customers wouldn't like it if he had to raise prices.

Well, sorry bud. Another thought maybe your 10 locations are a few too many.

Once again, "free" government handouts refer to the near half the working households that don't pay any federal taxes. You and I will have to pay for that eventually. Those that don't pay taxes, won't have to pay. Thus it's a "free" handout to those which I will have to pay more than I got to cover it.

But do you really have any confidence that the debt will ever really be paid? My guess is the Federal Reserve will just continue to run the printing press 24/7 and repay the bond holders with fabricated money. What I find crazy is the financial markets have more confidence in the Greek Federal Reserve as their 10 year bond rates are below 1% than they do in the US Federal Reserve as our 10 year bond rates are rising fast and the US Government has to pay interest rates almost double what the Greeks do.

This needed to be quoted again because it's so true.

Employer asks their employees to completely schedule their lives around a minimum wage, part time job and then is surprised when employees aren't loyal. Lets all stereotype the employees because they're clearly the issue. :rolleyes:

Yup...100% to this. The pandemic concerns coupled with a lousy minimum wage....who can blame anyone working under those conditions for taking time off with a stimulus check. The tables have turned. I get it, I know the margins aren't great in the restaurant business. But this idea that anyone is doing anyone a "favor" by giving them a minimum wage job (unless they're a teenager).....is nonsense.

The reality is that so many people don't know how to deal with money in general. I am not trying to be mean or rude but the amount of evidence that bears this out is remarkable. Take lottery winners, many are broke or filing bankruptcy in a couple of years. Look at the number of pro athletes who after their playing days are without any money. When an individual has little or no money and comes in to some by whatever means they cannot put it in perspective. Sure you win the lotto for a million dollars but after taxes you have a lot less so you buy a big house but then comes insurance, taxes, upkeep and if you don't have a steady income stream you lose it. In the current situation if you are struggling the stimulus payment can seem like a lot but in reality it won't get you far. As far a a minimum wage worker taking some time off, well the way I look at it is they get no paid vacation as it is so taking some time off before going to the next low paying job is probably something that will benefit them mentally and health wise to deal with the stress of it all so why not rest for a week. I always have taken a little time between jobs when switching and it helps. In the end it's their money. or your money and I think how it is spent is up to the individual.

If you do the math, one $1400 check is the equivalent of a minimum wage worker taking 6 WEEKS OFF BASED ON A 40 HOUR WORK WEEK. Considering that most people making minimum wage don't even get 40 hours a week (let's make it 30), it's more like 8 weeks.

For everyone saying "one stimulus check isn't enough to justify quitting a job and taking time off," think about that for a second.

$1400 of after tax money to a single filer is like $1800 of pre tax earnings, or approximately 248 hours of work at $7.25/hr.

The problem isn't the stimulus. The problem is the absolutely criminally low federal minimum wage in this country.

If you do the math, one $1400 check is the equivalent of a minimum wage worker taking 6 WEEKS OFF BASED ON A 40 HOUR WORK WEEK. Considering that most people making minimum wage don't even get 40 hours a week (let's make it 30), it's more like 8 weeks.

For everyone saying "one stimulus check isn't enough to justify quitting a job and taking time off," think about that for a second.

$1400 of after tax money to a single filer is like $1800 of pre tax earnings, or approximately 248 hours of work at $7.25/hr.

The problem isn't the stimulus. The problem is the absolutely criminally low federal minimum wage in this country.

The reason the federal minimum wage is so low is so that states can set it for whatever they deem appropriate for their own state as long as it isn't below a certain minimum. I'm sure you realize that COL varies tremendously in the US.
If the individual states legislatures don't set a "livable wage" for their own residents then blame them

The stimulus is meant for whatever you want it for.
In some cases people getting it need it for bills and necessities. There are also plenty of people who don't need it and choose to save it or use it for something frivolous.

The reality is that so many people don't know how to deal with money in general. I am not trying to be mean or rude but the amount of evidence that bears this out is remarkable. Take lottery winners, many are broke or filing bankruptcy in a couple of years. Look at the number of pro athletes who after their playing days are without any money. When an individual has little or no money and comes in to some by whatever means they cannot put it in perspective. Sure you win the lotto for a million dollars but after taxes you have a lot less so you buy a big house but then comes insurance, taxes, upkeep and if you don't have a steady income stream you lose it. In the current situation if you are struggling the stimulus payment can seem like a lot but in reality it won't get you far. As far a a minimum wage worker taking some time off, well the way I look at it is they get no paid vacation as it is so taking some time off before going to the next low paying job is probably something that will benefit them mentally and health wise to deal with the stress of it all so why not rest for a week. I always have taken a little time between jobs when switching and it helps. In the end it's their money. or your money and I think how it is spent is up to the individual.
Lotto winners and pro athletes also have the leeches that come out of the woodwork. 500k/year sounds like a lot but a pro athlete has a relatively short career and there is pressure on them to provide for their friends/family.

The real problem with low wage workers is that they are used to living paycheck to paycheck already. If income goes up slightly, their nature is to spend it as that's how they have spent the last XX years living. The switchover from not having enough to having surplus income is very difficult when you are comfortable with a $50 bank balance.

The reason the federal minimum wage is so low is so that states can set it for whatever they deem appropriate for their own state as long as it isn't below a certain minimum. I'm sure you realize that COL varies tremendously in the US.
If the individual states don't set a "livable wage" for their own residents then blame them.
The federal government also sets the poverty levels and numerous government assistance programs are dependent on that. The states need to be kept relatively equal or else you have rich states paying for assistance in poor states.

We went to the grocery store (a locally-owned one because walmart doesn't need money) and the butcher shop and stocked our freezer and pantry. Other than perishables, I don't think I need to grocery shop till summer, lol.

The real problem with low wage workers is that they are used to living paycheck to paycheck already. If income goes up slightly, their nature is to spend it as that's how they have spent the last XX years living. The switchover from not having enough to having surplus income is very difficult when you are comfortable with a $50 bank balance.

If someone is living paycheck to paycheck and their income goes up "slightly" that's not going to make a big difference.

For several years, DH and I made enough for only basics for our family, even with college degrees. When we received extra $ for any reason, it went to another need that we had put off. ( I remember the Christmas that we bought an inexpensive kitchen table and chairs (to replace a borrowed one) because we had some gift $) Very low wage earners likely have many things they need that they put off. Maybe instead of eating ramen or visiting a food pantry to make ends meet, they purchase fruit and vegetables or other more expensive food items. Maybe they need a decent pair of shoes for their job. Maybe they do want a haircut or a new hairdo and get one. One maybe an evening out to eat is a welcome change.

In our own experience, we felt a little more "human" when we were able to splurge on common items that had been out of our grasp on our incomes.

We went to the grocery store (a locally-owned one because walmart doesn't need money) and the butcher shop and stocked our freezer and pantry. Other than perishables, I don't think I need to grocery shop till summer, lol.

Smart move. Food prices are going to climb by the end of this year. I heard by 30%. If I got the stimulus I'd be using it to offset gas prices, food prices and everything else that will be going way up this year.

Lotto winners and pro athletes also have the leeches that come out of the woodwork. 500k/year sounds like a lot but a pro athlete has a relatively short career and there is pressure on them to provide for their friends/family.

Ha, isn't that the truth! DD's boyfriend's brother plays for the NFL and you wouldn't believe how many "cousins" he has. :rolleyes: One injury and it can all be over just like that.

I like to think if I ever win the lottery I could just quietly disappear...

Ha, isn't that the truth! DD's boyfriend's brother plays for the NFL and you wouldn't believe how many "cousins" he has. :rolleyes: One injury and it can all be over just like that.

I like to think if I ever win the lottery I could just quietly disappear...

Same....DH and I have always said this. I'll play mega millions or powerball.....only with a big jackpot. We have said that we wouldn't tell a soul. Certainly not for awhile anyway. NJ passed a law a few years back that lottery winners do not have to disclose their identity...which is meant to stop the "lottery curse".....where strangers come out of the woodwork legit asking for money.

Same....DH and I have always said this. I'll play mega millions or powerball.....only with a big jackpot. We have said that we wouldn't tell a soul. Certainly not for awhile anyway. NJ passed a law a few years back that lottery winners do not have to disclose their identity...which is meant to stop the "lottery curse".....where strangers come out of the woodwork legit asking for money.

I wish California would pass this law. Because I plan to win a jackpot one day and I'd like no one to know about it.

I wish California would pass this law. Because I plan to win a jackpot one day and I'd like no one to know about it.

We'll know here on the DIS when you post your TR about your month long stay in a Poly bungalow with a plaid vest guide every day. :ssst:

The minimum wage is set too high. There should be no minimum wage. If you don't want to work for free, don't. If you don't want to work for $5/hour, don't. If you don't want to work for $7.50, don't.

The entire issue everyone has about the economy comes down to one thing, us. We are the reason prices are so high, we continue to pay the high prices. We are the reason wages are low, we continue to accept low wages. You can not legislate people into prosperity.

So now we have the push for $15/hour minimum wage. What happens to everyone already making $15/hour? They are now minimum wage. Median individual income in the US according to Google is $31.150 (I think when I looked it up last week.) That is $14.96/hour. That means half the workforce makes $0.04 less than they want minimum wage to be. That means half of the workforce will be minimum wage. That isn't good at all. HALF the workforce at minimum wage!!!

The minimum wage is set too high. There should be no minimum wage. If you don't want to work for free, don't. If you don't want to work for $5/hour, don't. If you don't want to work for $7.50, don't.

The entire issue everyone has about the economy comes down to one thing, us. We are the reason prices are so high, we continue to pay the high prices. We are the reason wages are low, we continue to accept low wages. You can not legislate people into prosperity.

So now we have the push for $15/hour minimum wage. What happens to everyone already making $15/hour? They are now minimum wage. Median individual income in the US according to Google is $31.150 (I think when I looked it up last week.) That is $14.96/hour. That means half the workforce makes $0.04 less than they want minimum wage to be. That means half of the workforce will be minimum wage. That isn't good at all. HALF the workforce at minimum wage!!!

Dude, are you serious with this?

Like people can just choose not to pay rent or mortgage. Or choose not to eat or put gas in their cars to get to work. Get out of here with this classist take.

Things cost more than they did 50 years ago. And 30 years ago. And 10 years ago. Minimum wage has NOT kept up.

Without a living wage, we revert back to, essentially, slave wages. Is that what you want?

The words "want" appear far too many in your comment for you to actually understand the situation regarding minimum wage at least it comes off that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter