What are you afraid of?

I will not look at a mirror at night with the lights off when I have to go to the restroom. Remember that "bloody mary" game? Still will NOT look at a mirror.
I also avoid looking out the window at night when I can't sleep and it's dark. Anyone remember that scary movie where the devil was outside looking in and all it showed was two small red lights for his eyes? Still won't look out the window.

This is exactly me! And I am 38 years old! Crazy.....

I forgot a couple that I've seen others mention.

Drowning. Shiver.
Confined spaces. I don't get this much in real life. But, tv shows where people are caving or trapped or crawling through small spaces to escape something behind them just freak me out. I'm terrified by the idea of being "stuck."

I've always had a hard time explaining my fear of heights; but, another poster hit the nail on the head. Some heights/drop-offs/ledges feel like they pull at me. Its more like I'm afraid of what I might do near the edge than of the actual height itself, if that makes sense. I fly, ride high roller coasters, climb ladders (can't transfer to another surface, but I could climb it, even a very high ladder). Yet, things like balconies (even with railings), steep hillsides, scaffolding, etc. freak me out.

And Gumbo, you may have a point about that spiders vs. snakes comment. Nearly everyone I know is scared of one or the other, but not both. Give me a snake any day. Even a big snake. Even a poisonous snake. I'm good.

Spiders? shiver, shiver, shiver. And if they are too big/fat to squish? :faint: DH used a hat to knock a huge wolf spider off our tent a couple years ago, and you could HEAR it when it hit the ground 10-15 feet away. :scared1::scared1::scared1: I can still hear it and that sound gives me the willies.
If they are above my head on a ceiling, I'm done for. I've been trapped in a room when I didn't feel like I had enough room to get around a spider on the ceiling without it falling/jumping on me, I had to call for help. lol.

This is exactly me! And I am 38 years old! Crazy.....

:rotfl2: I'll be 50. :lmao: Isn't it funny that a cheep movie prop...2 red lights looking through sheer drapes can still scare me. :confused3 :rotfl2:

Someone here on the DIS knew the movie I was referring to. I can't remember it, but she remembered it too! She knew the exact same movie!

Forgot to add potato bugs. Does anyone know what those are? Are they the most scariest looking bugs? We had them on the side of our house when I was a little girl. I think my dad did some not so safe repellant (or possibly a fire) to get rid of them. We never went to that side yard again ~ ever. They are probably underneath the ground, secretly making their oversized colony to come back and regain the side yard and the city. Bruce Willis would play my dad and Melissa McCarthy would play me. ;)

Ever think that if you put a spider down the toilet it will come back up...bigger and with it's buddies?

Boy...reading this thread made me realize I'm afraid of more things than I thought! :laughing:

My biggest one is that I'm afraid of the dark....I have lights on in my house 24/7, on both floors.

I'm also freaked out by snakes, beetles, any insect larger than my thumbnail and fast moving water (my brother enjoys whitewater rafting, and he keeps trying to get me go, but just the thought of it makes me light-headed!)

At the risk of sounding completely insane, I'm gonna stop there! ;)

Canned biscuits/cinnamon rolls/anything canned that POPS out unpredictably, balloons, and dark water (because who knows what could be swimming around me)!

Mice, cockroaches, and speaking in front of people I do not know well/public speaking. I'm also afraid of haunted places like the ones shown on tv. Also, horror movies.

I wish I wasn't afraid of mice, and have considered seeing a hypnotist to overcome that fear.

DisneyFan32WI said:
I also avoid looking out the window at night when I can't sleep and it's dark. Anyone remember that scary movie where the devil was outside looking in and all it showed was two small red lights for his eyes? Still won't look out the window.

This is exactly me! And I am 38 years old! Crazy.....[/QUOTE]

Do y'all remember The Shining? I still can't use the bathroom with the shower curtain closed! (Im 56)

Public speaking
Storms (Am I the only one? Didn't see anyone else say that)
The same waterslide thing as someone a few pages back--falling over the side of it
Losing my DH or one of my kids
Being in a car accident

Anything Pillsbury bread related food item in a can. You know the drill.......peel the paper back, press the spoon, and POP!!!!

Or, in my case, peel the paper back and then chuck the can across the kitchen, hoping it the impact will cause it to open.

I'm such a wimp. I'm afraid of way too many things, but my top three are: Zombies
Flying
Horseshoe Crabs

I'm so mad that movies nowadays that show zombies as being all fast and clever. It's added a whole new element to my nightmares. Zombies are supposed to be slow, plodding, and dumb. They should not be able to open locks or problem solve through complex team-based attacks. They can mill about aimlessly in my neighbor's backyard will I hide safely in the attic. Anything more than that is too terrifying to contemplate.

Flying just makes sense. God didn't give me wings. I know where my feet are supposed to be! And horseshoe crabs look prehistoric and creepy.

That I will be abducted by a stranger in a car when I'm out running at o'dark thirty.

snakes. absolutely, cripplingly terrified of them. i am so afraid of them, i can't touch a picture of one in a book, newspaper, etc., without thinking it's going to bite me. i can't even look at them. my DB owned a ball python for about 15 years, and i NEVER saw it. couldn't bring myself to even look at it. it got loose in our house once and was loose for several days (no one told me :faint:), and, of course, i was the one who found him (still didn't look at him, just got a split second glance, and knew it was a snake), and i almost had a nervous breakdown.

snakes. absolutely, cripplingly terrified of them. i am so afraid of them, i can't touch a picture of one in a book, newspaper, etc., without thinking it's going to bite me. i can't even look at them. my DB owned a ball python for about 15 years, and i NEVER saw it. couldn't bring myself to even look at it. it got loose in our house once and was loose for several days (no one told me :faint:), and, of course, i was the one who found him (still didn't look at him, just got a split second glance, and knew it was a snake), and i almost had a nervous breakdown.
I think you and I could be very good friends! :hug:

Nobody said earwigs yet. I hate camping due to seeing earwigs. I'm pretty sure they crawl into your ears and poke at your brains with those ugly pinchers.

This thread reminded me of a lot of things I'm scared of too.

Someone said you're either afraid of snakes or spiders. I'm afraid of both. Rodents of all kinds including squirrels. Bats especially.

Spiders, or my two DD's 7 & 3 getting kidnapped, even though I ALWAYS watch them. When DD 7 was a baby, I still remember a dream I had that she was missing. It was so frightening, and I almost cry thinking about it.

:rotfl2: I'll be 50. :lmao: Isn't it funny that a cheep movie prop...2 red lights looking through sheer drapes can still scare me. :confused3 :rotfl2:

Someone here on the DIS knew the movie I was referring to. I can't remember it, but she remembered it too! She knew the exact same movie!

Forgot to add potato bugs. Does anyone know what those are? Are they the most scariest looking bugs? We had them on the side of our house when I was a little girl. I think my dad did some not so safe repellant (or possibly a fire) to get rid of them. We never went to that side yard again ~ ever. They are probably underneath the ground, secretly making their oversized colony to come back and regain the side yard and the city. Bruce Willis would play my dad and Melissa McCarthy would play me. ;)

Ever think that if you put a spider down the toilet it will come back up...bigger and with it's buddies?

Gross, children of the earth! Totally forgot abt those. I discovered one in my backyard when we lived in nm yrs ago. It was horrifying. I killed him & took a photo and sent it to a bug guy out in ca. who studies them. He was hoping I could have caught him alive and mailed it. We had all kinds of nasty critters when we lived in nm. I don't miss that at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter