What are you most proud/ashamed of about your home?

Proud: Been paid for for 21 years

Ashamed: Still haven't gotten around to really landscaping the backyard in 38 years.

Proud: It's our home and perfect for us.
Ashamed: the clutter... closets, basement, guest room.

Proud: All our hard work getting it to where it is.
Ashamed: The Garage (dumpingground/clutterzone/bigstinkingmess),

Ashamed of nothing - shame isn't an emotion I live with. If I'm ashamed of something I change it.
Proud (I guess) of the neighbourhood we live in, but pride isn't quite the right word either. Not everybody would find it as impressive as we do and we don't try to impress anybody anyway.

Proud : Family heirlooms/ Antiques. And by heirlooms/antiques I just that they are old and/or built by my Dad or my FIL

Ashamed: How untidy it is. I am just NOT an energetic cleaner. Also because of all the heirlooms/antiques I have too many things shoved in corners!

Proud: the family room remodel we did 3 years ago. I still absolutely love it.

Not so happy about: the upstairs bathroom needs to be totally gutted. We did the family room/ half bath in 2018; new furnace/ AC & whole house generator in 2019. The upstairs bath was planned for 2020. Put on hold by the lock down. Then we had a leak in the basement wall & ended up doing an unplanned remodel there. Fixed the wall, purged a ton of stuff, new carpet, shelving, bookcases, new recliner & a new 55 inch TV. DH retired in February, so now he has a place to hang out. But we still haven’t gotten to that upstairs bathroom. I’m a little nervous about supply chain issues. We intend to use the same contractor we used for our family room. I assume they wouldn’t start the project without all the materials being available. I have been thinking it’s time to actually get a contract signed. They are a very popular company that normally is booked 4-6 months out. Last I heard they were having trouble getting more crews, so I’m afraid it might be even more than 6 months before they could start our project.

Proud-New deck

Ot so much-After 18 years, we need some updates-cabinets and floors. And we need half a wall out so that the refrigerator will open fully. Overall it's not bad.

Proud-paid off house in CA, 2 new bathrooms and a new roof
Not so proud-garage is filled with my kid's junk

Never had either of those feelings about our home. It’s just a temporary place on this earth to spend time and in the blink of an eye will be for another.

I do not understand why anyone would be ashamed of their home. If I thought having certain people in my home would cause me to be ashamed, I would not ever have those people in my home.

I don't know if I exactly feel pride or shame about my home either, but...

The part I find most "presentable" to guests is probably the pool and lanai. It's quite a large area and it faces a wooded preserve so it's so peaceful with such a pretty view into the forest. My husband has done a great job fixing it up and furnishing it and putting plants and potted tress out there, and it looks so pretty, especially at night when the lights are on in the pool and along the top of the pool screen. No other part of our home is as "finished" as this area, except my daughter's room, that was furnished and decorated for her 16th birthday. In every other room of the house there is still at least a little something that needs to be done to get it just right.

I'm probably closest to ashamed of our flooring. Our carpet looks horrible. It gets cleaned on a regular basis so I know it's not gross, but it LOOKS gross. And we have those awful big old beige tiles that were so prevalent in Florida homes 15-20 years ago and now look so dated. Now that the house is paid off we are tackling some issues one at a time and I really want to re-floor the entire house next. It's a daunting task though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter